OSU's Cardale Jones considering NFL jump

Punch

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cardale has always been the one with the NFL future. He is 22 years old and has a daughter as well. Cardale comes from Glenville high school (Troy Smith, Ted Ginn, Donte Whitner, etc..) where Tidd Ginn Sr. molds these guys. He is not a 19 year-old kid. From his standpoint this is probably his best opportunity to go. When will his stock be higher? He is a developmental prospect for sure but his physical tools are elite.

He would be nuts to go out now. He will do the NFL advisory board I'm sure and he will likely be a late round pick. He needs to win the job and develop more.

But I just read here that NFL QBs never develop in Urban Meyer's system . . . so he might as well get out now.

He would be nuts to go out now. He will do the NFL advisory board I'm sure and he will likely be a late round pick. He needs to win the job and develop more.

I agree that it would be nuts now. It's also my understanding that he has just 2 more days to decide (unless my info is bad). Not enough time for the Advisory board. Given a whole 3 games worth of experience, Coming out sounds pretty risky.

If he comes out now, I predict he is a second or third rounder, especially if he lights it up at the Combine, which I believe he would. If he stays in school and spends the season on the bench, which is possible, then he may drop next year or have to come back one more year to get the exposure. I am guessing he comes out...

I guess that I am viewing this differently than some of you. I think that the 3 games of experience WORKS to his advantage in this case. This is by all accounts a bad QB class. He will go in the first couple of rounds for that very reason. If he sticks around (and wins the job) he may get picked apart. It happens all of the time (see Matt Barkley, Jevon Snead, etc...). The limited tape that he has out there is fantastic and his physical skills are off the charts. He needs only 1 team to bite on that potential over taking someone like Bryce Petty (another guy that was hurt by putting more tape out there).

I suspect that he will come back but I am not sure that is the right decision on his part. He would be the perfect target in the 2nd for someone like the Saints. Let him sit behind Brees for a couple of years and develop.

I was just talking about this with my buddy last night. With the current CBA a 1st round running back wont hit the open market until they are 25-27 years old and only have that one window to land a big deal before they hit the age of 30. Whereas every other NFL position usually will get a 2nd big deal in their early 30's.

RB's should be exempt from the mandatory 3 year period and instead have it reduced to 1 or 2 years. Zeke Elliott was a man amongst little boys last night and he has to go back and play 1 more year at school. There is no way he is not NFL ready right now.

Yep. Coach running him into the ground for free basically while he makes more in one night than some in a decade. Running is about youth... They should come right out. They are all ready. They will run 'em to the ground and then spit them out, watch them self-destruct their body and themselves ala Maurice Clarett. No way in hell a runningback should be held to school while others make bank on their labor killing their body! Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Wow. I respect the hell out of your opinion but have to respectfully disagree. I think he has real potential. Don't get me wrong, I agree with Yolo that Jones needs more game experience.

But he has a good pocket presence, feel for the game and varies the speed of his ball well. Puts nice touch on his throws to the flats or can rifle it down field. He sees the field and his reads fairly well. His scrambles are by choice after reading his options, I do believe his willingness to take on college backers and the odd nose tackle will go away in the NFL. I think he is a little slow getting rid of the ball but I think part of that is his inexperience. I have zero expertise, so I guess we'll see how he turns out eventually. :-)

I don't expect much from Mariota in the NFL. I like him as a person but he seems like a system QB. I do think Jameis has real potential if he can get his head screwed on straight.

Like I said, I could be wrong. I do like Mariota - he's accurate and can run a complex offense. I thought he played very well last night but was plagued by extremely costly drops. At one point he was 20-26 for 270 or so yards and 2 TDs, and he should have been 23-26. I also think that Oregon should have passed the ball more - the running game didn't really work after the first possession.

I guess that I am viewing this differently than some of you. I think that the 3 games of experience WORKS to his advantage in this case. This is by all accounts a bad QB class. He will go in the first couple of rounds for that very reason. If he sticks around (and wins the job) he may get picked apart. It happens all of the time (see Matt Barkley, Jevon Snead, etc...). The limited tape that he has out there is fantastic and his physical skills are off the charts. He needs only 1 team to bite on that potential over taking someone like Bryce Petty (another guy that was hurt by putting more tape out there).

I suspect that he will come back but I am not sure that is the right decision on his part. He would be the perfect target in the 2nd for someone like the Saints. Let him sit behind Brees for a couple of years and develop.

That's the way I view it too. Someone will talk themselves into the unknown given his physical tools.

I'm a Buckeye fan so I'm biased, but if you were to take someone who understands nfl football but knows nothing about what happened in the college season, gave them last nights tape and told them "One of these QBs if viewed as an easy top 2 pick, the other is viewed as a mid to late round project" which one are they going to pick as the top guy?

Right now NFL scouts are faced with that connundrum. If he rips it in his pro day like he's clearly capable and is his down to earth affable self in interviews, he's got the tools to look very good in the pre draft process. Someone will take him in round 2-3 if he performs in a pre draft evaluation up to his capabilities. As soon as guys find a reason to draft you, it immediately shifts to finding reasons not to draft you. Someone will roll the dice on him.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

I think he needs to play college ball for one year and get some more experience. Seeing as how that will prolly not happen at Ohio State, he needs to go to a FCS School, like maybe one here in Richmond VA, one in whichh I own season tickets!

No, he needs to go to Syracuse or Pitt (him throwing to Boyd and handing off to Connor)!

college kids rarely impress me.This kid however did impress me.He is the real deal.

I was very impressed. He was totally unfaized by the pressure, read the D well, and took what was given to him. Didn't force anything. And he has a rocket/lazer arm. Reminds me of Big Ben. (he prob should have been sacked a few times, but Oregon's terrible D line tried to tackle him up high instead of lower around the hips.)

That's the way I view it too. Someone will talk themselves into the unknown given his physical tools.

I'm a Buckeye fan so I'm biased, but if you were to take someone who understands nfl football but knows nothing about what happened in the college season, gave them last nights tape and told them "One of these QBs if viewed as an easy top 2 pick, the other is viewed as a mid to late round project" which one are they going to pick as the top guy?

Right now NFL scouts are faced with that connundrum. If he rips it in his pro day like he's clearly capable and is his down to earth affable self in interviews, he's got the tools to look very good in the pre draft process. Someone will take him in round 2-3 if he performs in a pre draft evaluation up to his capabilities. As soon as guys find a reason to draft you, it immediately shifts to finding reasons not to draft you. Someone will roll the dice on him.

I'd roll the dice on him. Not in the 1st round, but the 2nd or 3rd.

Edited by RyanC883

I suspect that he will come back but I am not sure that is the right decision on his part. He would be the perfect target in the 2nd for someone like the Saints BILLS. Let him sit behind Brees START for a couple of years and develop.

OMG yes.

As big and solid as he is, I dont think he'd take a lot of physical damage early on. Think Roth-liss-buurger (or however its spelled)

Edited by maddenboy

Here's McShay's scouting report: http://t.co/lBL9H8oMx7

Need to be an insider though and I am an outsider. If anyone has access can you cut and paste?

OMG yes.

As big and solid as he is, I dont think he'd take a lot of physical damage early on. Think Roth-liss-buurger (or however its spelled)

ok fine I'll take him in roman's offense. But seriously OSU's OL is pretty damn good so that helped him a ton. Edited by YoloinOhio

No, he needs to go to Syracuse or Pitt (him throwing to Boyd and handing off to Connor)!

Has to be an FCS school for him to play next year....Richmond it is :thumbsup::lol:

Hey, friggen Aaron Corp came from USC to Richmond...got him a cup o coffee with the Bills

Welcome to college bowl season where all it takes is a few decent games and people are ready to overdraft a guy they are just now watching for the first time.

As opposed to all of the draft prospect 'experts' on TBD who over valued QBs after watching them play for years.(Clausen, Pike, Quinn, Lefebvre, Mallett, Locker, etc).

I love how someone brings up the Wonderlic with every single black QB prospect, but I never see it mentioned when discussing white QB prospects. Racism strikes subconsciously quite often.

Oh hell no... Rob Johnson didn't even get his name correct. Wonderlic comes up when talking about many qb prospects... Particularly ones that say or do dumb things.

Agree completely that his stock will never be higher. He is a man, not a kid who needs to develop physically. He needs experience, but like you said the more he puts on tape the more warts will show.

Funniest part is he has never started a game in a college stadium. Only nfl stadiums. He has never started a game that wasn't on national tv on prime time. He has never won a game where he wasn't standing on a podium, handed a huge trophy, T-shirt and hat, and showered with confetti.

Going out and playing a noon kick on Big Ten Network at Rutgers next year is going to feel very small.

Edited by YoloinOhio