OSU's Cardale Jones considering NFL jump

Punch

He looks more like a young Dante Culpepper or Steve McNair than Cam Newton. I can see Miller transferrring as he has his degree and he can pull the same deal as R Wilson - automatic transfer / does not have to sit out a year. Barett and Jones would have to sit a year if they were to transfer.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a good college player, but he looks like a practice-squad level NFL player to me. That running style will get him nowhere in the NFL, and it'll be pick city when he faces teams playing man instead of zone on nearly every play. Good story, but not an NFL player, in my opinion.

Just FYI Bama and Wisc played man. Not saying he's ready, but he faced the #2 and #1 ranked defenses

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just FYI Bama and Wisc played man

Some man (on deeper routes), but mostly zone. Oregon played zone all night, and every time they rushed three they were burned because Jones had all day and someone always ended up being WIDE open. All college teams play mostly zone. It's why players are always open at the college level. I understand why they do it - no team has four guys who are good enough to cover every receiver. The NFL is a different animal. Put, say, Corey Graham in college right now, and he's automatically the best cover man in college football.

I could be wrong, but his NFL potential seems very, very low to me.

Ohio State is incredibly talented, by the way.

Edited by dave mcbride

Some man (on deeper routes), but mostly zone. All college teams play mostly zone. It's why players are always open at the college level. I understand why they do it - no team has four guys who are good enough to cover every receiver. The NFL is a different animal. Put, say, Corey Graham in college right now, and he's automatically the best cover man in college football.

Understood - nothing in college can compare to the NFL but fwiw Jones' WRs haven't been always open much at all. Mariota's OTOH....

Urban Meyer's system did not make Jones 6'5", 255, with a cannon and great mobility. Name another Meyer QB with those attributes who failed in the NFL and I will admit you have a point.

No disagreement on the physical skills. But as other have pointed out, the NFL is a completely different animal. He has played 3 college games. Vick was the king of 3 or 4 game amazing stretches and then with more tape, he got shut down. And that was in the NFL.

No disagreement on the physical skills. But as other have pointed out, the NFL is a completely different animal. He has played 3 college games. Vick was the king of 3 or 4 game amazing stretches and then with more tape, he got shut down. And that was in the NFL.

No question, it would be a risk, but if the guy played for an entire season like he did the last three games (against top teams, under huge pressure BTW) we would never have a chance to draft him. We are not going to get a great QB without taking risks, and Jones is a risk with huge upside. At any rate, no pick is risk-free, especially after the first round.

I'm a Buckeye fan and I really hope he comes back, but the guy should go pro now. He's older than people realize as he spent a year after high school in prep school and he's a redshirt SO, so in real age terms he's as old as a typical senior. Given his arm talent and measurables, I'd be very surprised if he lasted after the 3rd round and seeing a team (like Denver) take him at the end of round 1 would not shock me at all.

He needs to sit for a year or two, but he would be much better served to do that in a NFL enviroment than he would be to lose out to Braxton or JT for the job next year. Oregon was dropping 7-8 all night and he was putting the ball in NFL windows. He's thrown Smith open on deep balls the last 3 games with NFL caliber throws. I'd have no problem with the Bills taking him at #50 (though I'd prefer 3rd round) and sitting behind EJ while adding a vet like Hoyer to push EJ for the job.

I hope all 3 come back and the best man wins the job, however I do expect Cardale to go pro, Braxton to be the starter next year then Barrett to have 2 years starting.

Welcome to college bowl season where all it takes is a few decent games and people are ready to overdraft a guy they are just now watching for the first time.

Go ahead and ignore the OSU fans who've known about this guy for 3 years. He beat Barrett out for the backup job to Braxton, but when Braxton was hurt Urban viewed this year as a rebuilding year and decided to let the future of the program (Barrett) get the experience. No one is saying he should be a top 10 pick, but to say he's worse than a 2nd-3rd level talent is simply ignoring all the information available.

Welcome to college bowl season where all it takes is a few decent games and people are ready to overdraft a guy they are just now watching for the first time.

It's pretty comical.

I guess I was watching a different game last night. The one I saw had a RB rush for about 300 yards and a defense shut down the nation's top scoring offense. I missed the one with the dazzling NFL-ready passing display.

Some man (on deeper routes), but mostly zone. Oregon played zone all night, and every time they rushed three they were burned because Jones had all day and someone always ended up being WIDE open. All college teams play mostly zone. It's why players are always open at the college level. I understand why they do it - no team has four guys who are good enough to cover every receiver. The NFL is a different animal. Put, say, Corey Graham in college right now, and he's automatically the best cover man in college football.

Wow. I respect the hell out of your opinion but have to respectfully disagree. I think he has real potential. Don't get me wrong, I agree with Yolo that Jones needs more game experience.

But he has a good pocket presence, feel for the game and varies the speed of his ball well. Puts nice touch on his throws to the flats or can rifle it down field. He sees the field and his reads fairly well. His scrambles are by choice after reading his options, I do believe his willingness to take on college backers and the odd nose tackle will go away in the NFL. I think he is a little slow getting rid of the ball but I think part of that is his inexperience. I have zero expertise, so I guess we'll see how he turns out eventually. :-)

I don't expect much from Mariota in the NFL. I like him as a person but he seems like a system QB. I do think Jameis has real potential if he can get his head screwed on straight.

It's pretty comical.

I guess I was watching a different game last night. The one I saw had a RB rush for about 300 yards and a defense shut down the nation's top scoring offense. I missed the one with the dazzling NFL-ready passing display.

Cam Newton came out of nowhere, won a national championship, and became the #1 overall pick ahead of guys like Dareus, Watt, V Miller, J Jones, P Peterson, AJ Green...

Would it really be so far fetched for Cardale Jones to get drafted in the 1st round and become a quality starter in the NFL? All the physical talent is there.

I dont care who you are or what your past is. If you come in and play like Jones did the last 3 games...with his measurables... and ABSOLUTELY TRUCK a nose guard like he did last night. You are going to be playing in the NFL.

The guy absolutely passes the eye test and that all that matters. If he declares the Bills should be all over it because their is a legit chance he makes it to the 2nd round..

Edited by TallskiWallski83

I think runningbacks should be able to come right out of high school... By the time they are 30, if they even last that long, they are run to the ground. Every other position, especially QB's need a little more time.

BUT, with all the money floating around, all players and positions have to make it when they can. Urban Meyer made $250,000 for that game alone. Incredible! Like OSU is giving Jones a degree... What a joke!

Run into the ground and spit 'em out I guess. Just hope they don't get hurt before they can take a payout...

I think runningbacks should be able to come right out of high school... By the time they are 30, if they even last that long, they are run to the ground. Every other position, especially QB's need a little more time.

BUT, with all the money floating around, all players and positions have to make it when they can. Urban Meyer made $250,000 for that game alone. Incredible! Like OSU is giving Jones a degree... What a joke!

Run into the ground and spit 'em out I guess. Just hope they don't get hurt before they can take a payout...

I was just talking about this with my buddy last night. With the current CBA a 1st round running back wont hit the open market until they are 25-27 years old and only have that one window to land a big deal before they hit the age of 30. Whereas every other NFL position usually will get a 2nd big deal in their early 30's.

RB's should be exempt from the mandatory 3 year period and instead have it reduced to 1 or 2 years. Zeke Elliott was a man amongst little boys last night and he has to go back and play 1 more year at school. There is no way he is not NFL ready right now.

Edited by TallskiWallski83