OSU's Cardale Jones considering NFL jump

Punch

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a better runner and by just about all accounts a better person. That doesn't mean that Jones will be good but he comes with fewer red flags than Jamarcus. Does anyone remember how fat Jamarcus was at the combine?

Were there red flags for Russell? We all know he was idiot once he got in the league, but I don't remember anything that bad being said about his character. I could be wrong though.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

If the Bills get enough of a look at him and decide he has and NFL arm and half a brain, it would be insane not to take a chance on him if he makes it to our pick in the 2nd. The draft is a crapshoot, no more with this guy than anyone else. His chances of success may be slim, but given the Bill's situation at QB, slim is enough. NFL prospects aside, you can't discount how this kid handled himself in this situation. Easy system or not, I don't think there's many players that can come in cold into the type of situation he did and do as well.

Were there red flags for Russell? We all know he was idiot once he got in the league, but I don't remember anything that bad being said about his character. I could be wrong though.

He weighed 265 lbs at the combine and took a lot of heat for it. They were wondering how a guy could go to the biggest job interview of his life like that. In addition, there were plenty of whispers about the "purple drank."

He went out 2 weeks later and had by most accounts one of the great pro days of all time.

He weighed 265 lbs at the combine and took a lot of heat for it. They were wondering how a guy could go to the biggest job interview of his life like that. In addition, there were plenty of whispers about the "purple drank."

He went out 2 weeks later and had by most accounts one of the great pro days of all time.

Ah thanks,

Jamarcus was lazy, most of all IMO

He had talent but absolutely ZERO discipline or work ethic. He's the type of guy who can grind hard for two days then as soon as you turn away he's back to donuts and purple drank.

Once he signed that huge contract he wasn't about to hit the gym or be a pro. He made so much money that he never needed to do anything he didn't want to do again (such as exercise, watch film, or be an athlete).

A lot of people are exactly like that, unfortunately. They just don't get tens of millions for being lazy.

Most people aren't freakishly driven. that's what separates the achievers from everyone else.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Pro days are so stupid IMO. Bridgewater's was horrible. Manziel's was amazing. They don't mean much because they are so controlled by the player.

It's the media that makes them so big. No one cared about the combine before and now it is big business. It's hilarious how many players "rise" and "fall" when they haven't played football in months.

That said, I like Bridgewater but I do worry about his arm strength. He throws pop flys on deep passes.

It's the media that makes them so big. No one cared about the combine before and now it is big business. It's hilarious how many players "rise" and "fall" when they haven't played football in months.

That said, I like Bridgewater but I do worry about his arm strength. He throws pop flys on deep passes.

i love Bridgwater. He really improved as the year went on. I think he's going to be really good. I didn't watch him a ton so can't comment on the pop flys but I think he could end up being the best of that class.

i love Bridgwater. He really improved as the year went on. I think he's going to be really good. I didn't watch him a ton so can't comment on the pop flys but I think he could end up being the best of that class.

Also having an OC like Norv Turner to develop you as a rookie helps a ton. His balls float so guys have to being really open. I think the gameplan to beat him is to take away the short throws.

But I definitely like him the best of this year's class (which isn't saying much).

Remember, Jamarcus signed a $60 million guaranteed contract and decided he didn't need to work hard any more. If Jones is taken in the second round, or even late first, he would be guaranteed only a tiny fraction of that and would have every incentive to work his a** off to become a star and get that next contract. He might also be a better person that Russell, but who knows?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000457298/article/what-we-learned-osus-cardale-jones-considering-nfl-jump

"I'm not going to say 'definitely,'" Jones said. "(The NFL) is something that I'll consider. My most important focus is getting my degree."

Wow 3 games and ready for the NFL, delusional :rolleyes::doh::thumbsup: , he will be like whats his name who the Raiders drafted

No biggie. I heard Urban Meyer's 6th string QB is better than Joe Montana. B-)

QBs from Meyers system don't last in the League, I got burned with Tebow and other spread running QBs, I'm sticking with more traditional passers from now on.

I think college quarterbacks either have the physical attributes or they don't. if you don't have a strong arm, decent motion, etc, you cannot succeed in the NFL.

Cardale does.

I think college quarterbacks either have the mental attributes or they don't. The ability to process a schit-ton of information at warp speed and make decisions at warp speed all while freakishly athletic and fast 300 pound steroid-abusers are trying to rip your head off. You have that ability or you don't.

The only way that is ever known is by playing in the NFL regular season for numerous games.

I think all college quarterbacks and all college players basically have to re-learn the entire game when they get to the NFL because it is so much faster and so much more complicated. Sure, experience is great, but it does most players no good. You start over, and if you want to learn quick and put in the time off the field, that is how you succeed.

I'm not sure if Cardale has the aptitude or not. People close to OSU seem to think he does. I think the three games means way less than most people do, because I think QBs with 33 games have to learn as much as Cardale does when they get to the NFL.

I dont believe we are allowed to link bleacher report articles but here is a quote from one on this topic:

"He has to go back,'' said Phil Savage, executive director of the Senior Bowl. Savage is also the former general manager of the Cleveland Browns and director of player personnel for the Baltimore Ravens. "Jones would be a midround developmental candidate at best.''

I was able to watch all three of his games and I think that kid is a real gamer. His pocket presence is great - much better than EJs. His mobility is great - better than EJ. He is BIG like Roethelsburger. He has a huge arm - better than EJ. Accuracy looks decent, he completes big throws that are completions in college but would likely be defended by tighter coverage in the NFL. Its impossible to tell how well he was reading defenses with the TV angle but it did appear to me that he went deep with his passes when he could and that he found his check down routes when he was under pressure.

IMO this is the type of guy a team really should take a flyer on. Physically, he is a beast.

Good option for TE or wildcat