[Please Change Title]CJ Spiller

Mikie2times

I drafted him in fantasy, mistake one, fantasy aside, you can't tell me Buffalo had such robust offensive options Spiller shouldn't have been more involved. He's one of the most explosive players in the NFL, contract year, and we barely use him. Sure he got injured, but prior to the injury he wasn't getting a lot I looks either.

I thought he was 100% gone entering this year. I can't imagine getting him 10 touches a game made him want to be Bill either, but maybe a coach who likes CJ comes on board and can get his attention. With him off such a bad year maybe the market isn't that favorable.

Am I the only one who would like him back? I don't hear anybody really saying his name at all. Right coach, I think he brings a lot to the table. If nothing else in a situational role.

I drafted him in fantasy, mistake one, fantasy aside, you can't tell me Buffalo had such robust offensive options Spiller shouldn't have been more involved. He's one of the most explosive players in the NFL, contract year, and we barely use him. Sure he got injured, but prior to the injury he wasn't getting a lot I looks either.

I thought he was 100% gone entering this year. I can't imagine getting him 10 touches a game made him want to be Bill either, but maybe a coach who likes CJ comes on board and can get his attention. With him off such a bad year maybe the market isn't that favorable.

Am I the only one who would like him back? I don't hear anybody really saying his name at all. Right coach, I think he brings a lot to the table. If nothing else in a situational role.

Completely depends on the type of contract he'd want, at least for me. I think CJ is a weapon and agree he was completely misused in this past regime's scheme. He's got a player option (right?... anyone know when he has to exercise it, if he wanted to?) but if I were him I'd test the market while Buffalo fills the vacancies. I haven't really thought about free agency yet so I'm not sure other team's cap numbers, but I'd imagine he'll be sought after.

If Buffalo gets the right kind of coach, I don't think it's a stretch to see CJ coming back, but I don't think they'll overpay to keep him.

No, I don't want him back. He's not tough enough, not aggressive enough, a liability on 3rd down, his awareness/IQ is horrid...

He's certainly NOT one of the most explosive players in the NFL. He's not even close.

Edited by cantankerous

I think he's gone with Hughes and Spikes. Carry on my wayward sons, we'll replace you as we always do with late draft picks and scrap heap free agents.

I'd do everything within reason to keep Hughes and Spikes but I'd probably cut ties with CJ Spiller and Fred Jackson - I'd probably go after Mark Ingram and draft Duke Johnson- I love Fred offer him a position as an assistant RB coach.

No, I don't want him back. He's not tough enough, not aggressive enough, a liability on 3rd down, his awareness/IQ is horrid...

He's certainly NOT one of the most explosive players in the NFL. He's not even close.

He has Track speed, led the league in YPC in 2012, 3 of the last 4 years he's averaged at least 4.5 yards per carry and eclipsed 5 or more yards per carry 2 of the last 4 years. Define explosive?

He doesn't know how to play running back. If the defense over commits yes he can rip off an 80 yard run. But he can't get two yards up the middle. He can't read blocks. He can't block for ****. He is gone. No one is going to pay him big money.

Hughes must be franchised. He earned his pay day. Pay the man.

Then sign Glenn and Dareus to extensions.

Trade for Cutler and sign one FA guard.

Draft for depth.

Begin OTA's

Win the division.

You tend to not get a lot of looks when you struggle to gain one yard and can't even pretend to block.

Completely depends on the type of contract he'd want, at least for me. I think CJ is a weapon and agree he was completely misused in this past regime's scheme. He's got a player option (right?... anyone know when he has to exercise it, if he wanted to?) but if I were him I'd test the market while Buffalo fills the vacancies. I haven't really thought about free agency yet so I'm not sure other team's cap numbers, but I'd imagine he'll be sought after.

If Buffalo gets the right kind of coach, I don't think it's a stretch to see CJ coming back, but I don't think they'll overpay to keep him.

Patriots have 4 running backs better than CJ Spiller...And we have 3.

Edited by Stussy109

We've been through this before.

Runs 1-9 he gets 1 yd or -1 for a total of 7 yds.

Run 10 he gets 40 yds. So now he has 47 yds on 10 carries (4.7 yds).

The problem is he got us 1 first down on the long run but put us in ****ty field position with the other 9 runs. It happens over and over.

It used to be a joke about linebackers who suck at tackling, because they try to make big hits instead of wrapping-up.

"He learned how to tackle by watching SportsCenter"

CJ learned to play RB by watching SportsCenter. He wants to take it to the house on every play. CJ coulda been Jamaal Charles, but CJ doesnt want to do the dirty work. CJ will slam it up the middle like a trooper if he absolutely has to, but it feels like he only does it so he can stay on the field for the next play, because he plans to take that one 60 yards and get on tv.

No thanks.

Edited by maddenboy

We've been through this before.

Runs 1-9 he gets 1 yd or -1 for a total of 7 yds.

Run 10 he gets 40 yds. So now he has 47 yds on 10 carries (4.7 yds).

The problem is he got us 1 first down on the long run but put us in ****ty field position with the other 9 runs. It happens over and over.

I recently posted some statistics that confirm this. He has an average that is among the best in the league, but he also has more long runs than almost all of the top RBs. Those long runs bump up his average and disguise the fact that he has so many runs for small gains or small losses.

I felt as though in the past two years he was learning to hit the line and settle for a couple yards rather than immediately try to go around the outside, but that is not his game.

Like many other posters, I have been wondering if he would be better as a slot receiver instead of as a RB. Maybe his next OC will try some experiments like that.

He's CJ Spiller, the Drive Killer.

NegativeNegativeNegativeNegativeNegativeNegativeNegativePositiveNegativeNegativeNegative

I think he likes to fancy himself as a QB, where he'd rather just run outside and out of bounds than take the hit.

He has the speed and skill, but not the heart and vision. He still has some value, but maybe in the $3MM range as a utility player.

Somebody will overpay for him, despite his glaring limitations, and be disappointed.

Edited by Captain_Quint

Odds of CJ returning with Marrone in charge...about 10%.

Odds of CJ returning with an offensive minded HC (or experienced OC)...about 60%.

I think CJ wants to be here but it will be interesting to see who is in the running for his services. I could envision Philly, New Orleans, San Diego, Indy all taking a run at him.

CJ Spiller isn't even a free agent yet. CJ has a player option that pays him $2.1 million. He'll probably opt out, but you can't rule out him staying and trying to increase the value of his next contract. Even if he does opt out, it's not like he's going to get a huge raise given his play last year.

Edited by Fingon

He doesn't know how to play running back. If the defense over commits yes he can rip off an 80 yard run. But he can't get two yards up the middle. He can't read blocks. He can't block for ****. He is gone. No one is going to pay him big money.

Draft for depth.

Begin OTA's

Win the division.

If you trade for Cutler you probably can't afford Dareus and Hughes. I would pick Dareus and Hughes over Cutler.

our coaches and line didn't do him any favors this year.. they sacrificed agility for size, narrowed our gaps, and couldn't execute techniques that created holes. if i have one criticism of CJ. its that he cant get drop his hips to drive through seams, like Freddie can.. so he has a tendency to bounce outside. it's not 'vision' that fails him there, its lack of confidence - based on lack of success - based on poor technique. you guys have all seen the apparatus with the spring loaded arms, right? you send RBs through 'the car wash' to establish better technique to run inside.. i'm guessing a young man with CJ's speed wasn't sent through too often. coaches see potential, and Spiller has the potential to take it the house each touch, if you give him room to square up and run. i really believe the coaches failed him by not putting together a line that could pick guys off inside, and by not creating lateral movement that creates cutback lanes. a better offensive staff could create more opportunities for him. his name is definaty being brought up in our interview process.

Edited by BackInDaDay

Odds of CJ returning with Marrone in charge...about 10%.

Odds of CJ returning with an offensive minded HC (or experienced OC)...about 60%.

I think CJ wants to be here but it will be interesting to see who is in the running for his services. I could envision Philly, New Orleans, San Diego, Indy all taking a run at him.

I agree that there is a greater chance that CJ returns if it looks like the Bills are putting together a good offensive coaching staff, particularly an OC or HC that has a history of putting together strong run games and/or maximizing the talents of skill players. I do not believe CJ should be the feature back in an offense; however, he is still a guy that can give you those one or two big plays a game if utilized properly. If he decides to leave, you can bet the teams you mentioned, as well as a few others would love the chance to have him on their teams.

Is it really all that surprising to people that when you run a back, with the skill set of CJ, between the tackles, in 2 TE sets, behind an offensive line that graded out as the worst run blocking unit in the NFL, over, and over, and over - that he would continually have 1 yard runs?

Draft for depth.

Begin OTA's

Win the division.

Like your comments minus the Cutler trade. we don't have the picks nor is he worth a trade. Agreed on all other points.

our coaches and line didn't do him any favors this year.. they sacrificed agility for size, narrowed our gaps, and couldn't execute techniques that created holes. if i have one criticism of CJ. its that he cant get drop his hips to drive through seams, like Freddie can.. so he has a tendency to bounce outside. it's not 'vision' that fails him there, its lack of confidence - based on lack of success - based on poor technique. you guys have all seen the apparatus with the spring loaded arms, right? you send RBs through 'the car wash' to establish better technique to run inside.. i'm guessing a young man with CJ's speed wasn't sent through too often. coaches see potential, and Spiller has the potential to take it the house each touch, if you give him room to square up and run. i really believe the coaches failed him by not putting together a line that could pick guys off inside, and by not creating lateral movement that creates cutback lanes. a better offensive staff could create more opportunities for him. his name is definaty being brought up in our interview process.

Good post.

If you trade for Cutler you probably can't afford Dareus and Hughes. I would pick Dareus and Hughes over Cutler.

I agree. There was a thread started by Hopeful recently about trading for QBs. His point was that even if a team thinks they can live without a certain QB on their roster, and if he has any potential at all, then they won't trade him unless it is for impact players, and not for mid-round draft picks. Trading impact players for a less-than-sure-thing QB will just cause most people to start questioning Whaley's intelligence all over again. (Me included.)

Excellent post.

Dorkington and i agree on CJ.

Playmakers need to get the opportunities . We saw so many players on Offense misused last two years its difficult to judge

I think he's gone with Hughes and Spikes. Carry on my wayward sons, we'll replace you as we always do with late draft picks and scrap heap free agents.

Why? If this was 02-11 Buffalo Bills then I'd agree. Three could be gone. As of now I hardly see two leaving he team. Not if Whaley is calling the shots. He brought in Spikes and he knows the value of Hughes and Spiller. Spikes number won't be that crazy, nor will Spiller. Hughes will come down to his money demands; is he asking what is fair?

Even at a reasonable rate? I'd take CJ Spiller back on a 2 or 3 year deal at $3mm for his return game and some running spot duty, too. I cannot imagine him getting anything over $4mm/year

CJ Spiller isn't even a free agent yet. CJ has a player option that pays him $2.1 million. He'll probably opt out, but you can't rule out him staying and trying to increase the value of his next contract. Even if he does opt out, it's not like he's going to get a huge raise given his play last year.

There is no player option. It was voided because he hit certain marks in his career. He hit them over 2 years ago, IIRC. He's a FA.

CJ Spiller needs snaps to get his game going, he's not going to make and break plays early. It is going to take a quarter of play to get him going and in that quarter he will play some lousy football.

CJ Spiller needs snaps to get his game going, he's not going to make and break plays early. It is going to take a quarter of play to get him going and in that quarter he will play some lousy football.

if the plays are there to be made inside, and he's bouncing it out.. there's some truth to this. he may need a 'confidence boost' from the coaches on the sideline that he better start hitting the hole as designed, before he's convinced to do so. one of the hardest things to do with RBs is to coach them out of using their instincts, and run it as drawn up.

Edited by BackInDaDay

if the plays are there to be made inside, and he's bouncing it out.. there's some truth to this. he may need a 'confidence boost' from the coaches on the sideline that he better start hitting the hole as designed, before he's convinced to do so. one of the hardest things to do with RBs is to coach them out of using their instincts, and run it as drawn up.

And one of the most depressing things I saw this bowl season were a dozen other running backs running better then Spiller did.

Patriots have 4 running backs better than CJ Spiller...And we have 3.

Maybe. But I think Bellicheat would rather have Spiller than Vereen. The other backs are power guys and not comparable. CJ is specific, and maybe limited in what he can do -- but when he' doing what he does best (playing in space) there are very few guys in the league as good as he is. The problem has been that the past regime hasn't gotten CJ in space and tried to turn him into a power back. That's not his Matt Forte.

Even at a reasonable rate? I'd take CJ Spiller back on a 2 or 3 year deal at $3mm for his return game and some running spot duty, too. I cannot imagine him getting anything over $4mm/year

No. He's not even worth $3 million/year. When he's in the backfield the opposition knows he's probably getting the hand-off, since he can't pass block to save his life.

$3 mil/year for a 2 down back? No way.

No. He's not even worth $3 million/year. When he's in the backfield the opposition knows he's probably getting the hand-off, since he can't pass block to save his life.

$3 mil/year for a 2 down back? No way.

why isnt he out for the screen or some other option play. toss sweep delay reverse something fun?

Handing off to him would only work Bills out of the close formation 3te set. thats right Doug. player execution ...

Or he could be the blitz pick up defending Bills goal line for Orton yes thats would be pretty awesome probably !

JK

seeing how both Sammy and Spiller were used was fairly criminal considering their skill set as play makers.

BTW why was Frank the Tank let go. what was the vision with that move?

That I didn't have much problem with. He was decent but not good, and was taking up a roster spot. When MarQueis Gray looked capable as a blocker and a good receiver, they gave him Frank the Tank's responsibilities, as well as the #3 TE's, and made him an H-Back/Fullback/TE, which wasn't a bad idea. Except not going back to plays that worked for him.

That I didn't have much problem with. He was decent but not good, and was taking up a roster spot. When MarQueis Gray looked capable as a blocker and a good receiver, they gave him Frank the Tank's responsibilities, as well as the #3 TE's, and made him an H-Back/Fullback/TE, which wasn't a bad idea. Except not going back to plays that worked for him.

But i thought the Bills were power football. 3TEs and the fullback.

Gray has good potential . That pass play was one of my favorites his first game in !

I was just wondering if marrone figured Boobie as the heavy back now. and Marrones gone?