Lacanfora: extension was in place for Marrone (update:8 figures)??

YoloinOhio

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea how "tampering" works in the NFL regarding coaches, so hopefully I will learn something here.

If a coach is coming to the end of his contract or going into an opt-out like Marrone was, is it a breach of NFL rules for another team to contact him or his agent stating potential interest before the option has been exercised? Or by extension, would it be a breach of NFL rules for a coaches agent to contact other teams to gauge interest prior to exercising the option?

The thing is he was under contract as the Bills HC until the very moment he opts out. He was still under contract during those 3 days, unless there was specific language in his contract saying he could contact potential suitors. And it's certainly tampering if you lure a coach from another team that was under contract, especially for a lateral move.

Let's pray that the Jets offer him the job, otherwise the case is much weaker. It indeed would be ironic if we received their 1st rounder when Doug quit for wasting away our 1st rounder. However, this is Buffalo sports, so it will never happen.

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say... TPeg verbally told Marrone that he was open for extending him and any staff that stayed. However. He wanted to hire a "consultant" and make the final decisions on staff at that point with input from his consultant.

Essentially, we like what you've accomplished and we want to ensure longterm stability for all staff we retain. But this isn't the time to discuss it.

The closest example I can think of is Bill Belichick quitting as HC of NYJ on his first day on the job, then immediately becoming the head coach of the Pats.

There was never any tampering charges against the Pats, and Belichick swears that he didn't already have the HC job lined up for the Pats, he just "wasn't comfortable with the situation in New York" (wink wink, nudge nudge).

The Pats had to give up a first-round pick to the Jets, though. I don't remember the exact details, but it was apparently contentious enough that the Jets got that much in return.

I can believe Pegula wanted to ensure an extension to maintain continuity. I can also see how back channels conversations went on to get Marrone locked up informally, but put on this facade with an open interviewing competition.

Bottom line. Marrone wasn't afraid of Polian. They like each other. This is all about money. With the ability to double dip, Marrone can make$8-9 mil this year, and an additional $5 mil possibly the next two years. I can't wait to see how pissed he gets on a weekly basis to NY reporters. This is going to be comedy.

I'm not buying this was all about money. It appears he was in line for a lucrative extension from Pegula. Putting the pieces together, it appears Marrone and Whaley had a horrible relationship and he wanted more power. We've seen this story play out before. This about him gaining the power his ego craved and the chance to be HC for his boyhood team.

The Pats had to give up a first-round pick to the Jets, though. I don't remember the exact details, but it was apparently contentious enough that the Jets got that much in return.

That was the Pats and this is the Bills. Although we have a legitimate gripe, I'd be shocked if we receive compensation. And if we do, which I highly doubt, they'll pull some bull **** and give us 2016's 1st.

Tampering charges to follow his getting the Jets job.

i hope you are right, it sure reeks of it after hearing the laconfora report.. really got me PO-ed.. cant stop thinking about it.. hope the bills do pursue it.. and goodell grows a set and fully investigates it.. doesnt cave to the NYC influence..

I'm not buying this was all about money. It appears he was in line for a lucrative extension from Pegula. Putting the pieces together, it appears Marrone and Whaley had a horrible relationship and he wanted more power. We've seen this story play out before. This about him gaining the power his ego craved and the chance to be HC for his boyhood team.

That was the Pats and this is the Bills. Although we have a legitimate gripe, I'd be shocked if we receive compensation. And if we do, which I highly doubt, they'll pull some bull **** and give us 2016's 1st.

That was the Pats before they were the Pats*, though. Then again, the Jets would actually need to hire Doug and I don't know that adequate proof exists of tampering.

Well, what we've heard is that Marrone wanted an extension and didn't get it then he asked for an extension for his staff. Maybe he did get the extension, but they balked at the staff.

Or more likely, Marrone's agent is just putting out a whole lotta bull-stojan to his lackeys in the press (translation: LaContorta and Florio) and letting them run with it.

Or more likely, Marrone's agent is just putting out a whole lotta bull-stojan to his lackeys in the press (translation: LaContorta and Florio) and letting them run with it.

The timing would suggest the latter. I continue to believe that Graham's source is at OBD, and the source for LaCanfora, Schefter, Florio is Marrone's agent (who is conveniently also Schefter's agent)

If you have an opt out clause and your gonna take it, it only makes sense to have your next moves set up, right?

Well, yeah, but I think that's tampering

Well, what we've heard is that Marrone wanted an extension and didn't get it then he asked for an extension for his staff. Maybe he did get the extension, but they balked at the staff.

Or some other demand...we've heard he wanted control of the 53 man roster and he also wanted guarantee some of the FO (not clear who) gone.

To me it seemed, from the beginning, as though Marrone just wanted out of Buffalo.

Apparently Marrone was nervous about the football czar and whether the two would get along. Yet everyone knew that Polian was going to sign on to the job and ostensibly he and Marrone had a good relationship already. Doug, therefore, had nothing to worry about. He already knew the "czar."

Next it seems like he was demanding things that he knew he wouldn't get. This would give him an excuse to leave. Why would a new owner give Doug an extension when two years already remain...and to a man who had yet to reach the playoffs? Why would the owner give an extension to an offensive staff that was truly offensive?

The whole thing stinks of Marrone forcing his way out by manufacturing excuses.

There was no extension because Marrone himself said in his closing press conference that he never talks about his contract with the press.This story is 100% fabricated by his agent (reps many of the NFL reporters that are placing these stories) to defuse all the negative noise about him from his time in Buffalo.New York media are catching on that this guy is Rich Kotite Jr and not the second coming of Bill Walsh.

Maybe Johnson doesn't hire Marrone now.

Johnson says all things being equal I don't want discipline action for tampering.

Maybe but if in fact they did tamper in privately telling DM the Jets job was his, isn't Woody between a rock and a hard place?

I hope it's true and we move up to # 6.

Back in the QB derby sooner than expected.

Maybe but if in fact they did tamper in privately telling DM the Jets job was his, isn't Woody between a rock and a hard place?

I hope it's true and we move up to # 6.

Back in the QB derby sooner than expected.

ABSOLUTELY !it sure does have the feel of something not being right..

I could care less if Marrone gets the Jets HCing job or not, and I only hope he hires Nate Hackett.

Whats more disconcerting to me is that Pegula agreed to an extension with Marrone. Meaning that St Doug and his staff would have been back for 2015. :sick:

With a 10 million dollar contract in his back pocket lol.

Talk about dodging a speeding bullet.

Since this is getting crazy anyway, how's this for a theory: the jets knew about the opt out through the agent and contacted Marrone. Marrone tells the bills the jets are tampering and he can prove it. Together they hatch a plan to have marrone opt out so they can file tampering charges, the bills and marrone both sell the falling out in the media with conflicting stories, the bills file charges and get the jets first round pick, and marrone comes back to coach the bills.

Edited by Chandemonium

Since this is getting crazy anyway, how's this for a theory: the jets knew about the opt out through the agent and contacted Marrone. Marrone tells the bills the jets are tampering and he can prove it, and they hatch a plan to have marrone opt out so they can file tampering charges, the bills and marrone both sell the falling out in the media with conflicting stories, the bills file charges and get the jets first round pick, and marrone comes back to coach the bills.

need any more tinfoil?

ABSOLUTELY !it sure does have the feel of something not being right..

Dec 27th...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/27/league-has-no-comment-on-report-of-casserly-contacting-jets-candidates/

Sooner or later something will come to the forefront. It sounds like too many people know what Casserly was doing and the abruptness of Marrone departure is a screening red flag on this issue. Not only was there possible tampering, it actually might end up with the Jets being successful (????) with their tampering by getting the Bills head coach. If he becomes their head coach and the Bills can prove tampering then the Jets would probably have to give the Bills the 6th overall pick. It would be that big of a deal IMO.

@BuffRumblings: CBS Sports says Pegulas offered Doug Marrone, a coach with a 15-17 record, an 8-figure contract. http://t.co/qRb7ckkpSg

This is going well beyond ridiculous. At this rate, in two days this is going to be "Pegula offered Marrone a 30% stake in his natural gas business" countered with "Marrone opted out because of improperly folded napkins in the cafeteria."

this is from belicheats wiki page, so take that for what its worth. I bolded the important part, as it would seem to apply to us.

"When Parcells stepped down as head coach ( of the Jets) in 1999, he had already arranged with team management to have Belichick succeed him. However, Belichick would be the New York Jets' head coach for only one day. When Belichick was introduced as head coach to the media—the day after his hiring was publicized—he turned it into a surprise-resignation announcement. Before taking the podium, he scrawled a resignation note on a sheet of loose leaf paper that read, in its entirety, "I resign as HC of the NYJ." He then delivered a half-hour speech explaining his resignation to the assembled press corps.[12]

Soon after this bizarre turn of events, he was introduced as the Patriots' 12th full-time head coach, succeeding the recently fired Pete Carroll. The Patriots had tried to hire him away from Parcells/the Jets in the past. Parcells and the Jets claimed that Belichick was still under contract to the Jets, and demanded compensation from the Patriots. NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue agreed, and the Patriots gave the Jets a first-round draft pick in 2000 in exchange for the right to hire Belichick.[13]"

Dec 27th...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/27/league-has-no-comment-on-report-of-casserly-contacting-jets-candidates/

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/12/jets_contacted_rex_ryans_agent_about_rex_ryans_replacement_per_report.html

Sooner or later something will come to the forefront. It sounds like too many people know what Casserly was doing and the abruptness of Marrone departure is a screening red flag on this issue. Not only was there possible tampering, it actually might end up with the Jets being successful (????) with their tampering by getting the Bills head coach. If he becomes their head coach and the Bills can prove tampering then the Jets would probably have to give the Bills the 6th overall pick. It would be that big of a deal IMO.

Hmmm...interesting.

I wonder what constitutes proof for these purposes. Everybody seems to be liar capable of perjuring himself.

If Woody pleads the fifth is that good enuf?

Sounds like a smart agent trying to drive up the price of Marrone on the open market. 10 million a year....yeah right. I'm not buying it for a second.

I don't think they agreed to an extension either. But I think the 10 million is over a couple years, like 10m over two extra years or something like that.

Hmmm...interesting.

I wonder what constitutes proof for these purposes. Everybody seems to be liar capable of perjuring himself.

If Woody pleads the fifth is that good enuf?

And if this is the case, Marrone may just in fact have to surrender the 4 million.