Anyone else sick of Eric Wood?

GrizzlyAdams

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AMEN! I've been calling for Wood's head all season long. HE is HORRIBLE at Center. I think he has only one positive grade given to him by ProFootballFocus. He's definitely a problem and not a solution...

Hope Marrone has the cajones to try and upgrade that spot and have someone compete with a team leader/captain. Marrone IS/shouldbe the leader and do this without hesitation.

Yes lets get rid of one of 2 linemen we have that have actually played at a NFL level at some point in there life

You must not watch the games or pay attention to anything. Wood IS not good at playing Center in the NFL. He's been average his whole career or below average and this season has been his worst!!

I don't profess to have a PhD in line-study as some do. But when I think of the problems that plague this team, Eric Wood isn't one of them.

Another person living in a fantasy. Are you guys high? Clearly you not only do NOT have a PhD in "line-stud" but you may also be blind... Usually people who need to see good can make a more accurate assessment.

Edited by DukeyBomb

so hard to look good with a tire fire to the left AND a tire fire to the right, ALTHOUGH i think we've all watched Wood get pushed around more than ever. He's atleast a capable NFL lineman put some other guys around him your probably fine. It's really one cookie two cookie. Fix left guard, fix right guard

I called him the most overrated player on the team around week 1 and got flamed. It came from good posters too (like Bandit). I just don't think that the guy is very good.

He's been the most overrated player on the team for years.

But he really fell off this year. I was actually shocked by how bad he'd gotten this preseason. It wasn't a popular take.

Meanwhile.....as I predicted at the time of the trade.....Jason Peters will still be playing at a high level when Wood was reaching the end.

There is an increasing likelihood that that trade will be remembered as a Hall of Famer traded for somebody the average NFL fan has never heard of.

At no time was it EVER a good thing that Peters wasn't here. The Bills have assembled an OL without much athleticism. They do not look like a modern O-Line.

As for John from Hemet's take about Wood and his injuries.......yes, I called him "Balsa" Wood for a reason. He was easy to break early in his career. But athletes bounce back. A broken leg or a torn achilles used to be a career ender but not anymore.

The problem is that Wood is not an athlete.

He's no longer able to make the kind of plays where he was once hurt, though. So staying on the field has gotten easier.

Anchoring is how he broke his leg. He blocks on skates now.

Running downfield is how he tore his ACL. He can't get to the second level to save his life any longer.

Maybe he can get on a good HGH program and play better next year but I'm afraid he's got a bullseye on him now and even adding better OG's isn't going to matter. He's going to be attacked head on until he shows he can sink his hips and hold his ground or get a push.

Wood is so popular because A) fans wanted him to be good to justify the loss of Peters and B) He's a try hard and want-to player and a very likeable guy. Tons of good stories about him.

He's just not that good of a football player and that's what matters, unfortunately.

I, like most of you maybe, use to really like him. He said all the right things, took shots at opposing players to get the fans fired up, etc. But to hear his somber voice on WGR after every pathetic loss is sickening. On top of that, I'm also tired of seeing him get smoked by DT's on every single ALL-22 that comes out. He's not really a good player and he symbolizes the losing culture of this team. I think he needs to go and someone needs to come in here and find some talent for this O-line.

How long can we continue to blame our RB's and QB's when we can't get anything going? This line is brutal and it starts with the guys who have no stones. Get some hard nosed nasty MF'ers to come in here and change the culture of this team.

why don't we start by getting rid of the guy in your avatar

Fred Jackson is most overrated. Wood is second. Kiko is to be determined.

showing your true ability as a talent evaluator.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Fred Jackson is most overrated. Wood is second. Kiko is to be determined.

Now you are just trying to piss people off. :lol:

Freddie is a part-time player who continues to perform despite molasses for wheels.

He's the most popular for sure, but not most overrated.

Wood on the other hand was considered a long time pro bowl snub and still a high level player by fans here. He's neither and has never been. At his best he was average and that was a while ago.

He's average.

A tremendous leader. Who loves Buffalo and gets what it means to play here. What sickens me is the trashing of him like this...but we want Cutler. Ridiculous. Relax. Almost all of the linemen have regressed under Morris and Marrone. The scheme sucks. The coaching sucks.

I said it before in another thread tho. If we identify a sure fire center...Wood gets moved to Guard. He's played it before. Didn't the Dolphins move Pouncey? That line became one of the best in the league.

Would be interested to see how he grades out this year. He played better with Levitre next to him. So did whoever we had at LT while Andy was here. Maybe having good guards will bring him back to his true form as a 1st round talent.

Joe D'Alessandris where have you gone? When he was OL coach, he got a lot better play out of a lot less talent (IMHO).

I won't be surprised if current OL coach Pat Morris is let go after the season. Marrone did everything but completely blame the OL for the Oakland loss and they certainly have played poorly all year.

I think that both Pears and Urbik played much better under D'ALIESSANDRIS than they have since.

Edited by OldTimer1960

AMEN! I've been calling for Wood's head all season long. HE is HORRIBLE at Center. I think he has only one positive grade given to him by ProFootballFocus. He's definitely a problem and not a solution...

Hope Marrone has the cajones to try and upgrade that spot and have someone compete with a team leader/captain. Marrone IS/shouldbe the leader and do this without hesitation.

You must not watch the games or pay attention to anything. Wood IS not good at playing Center in the NFL. He's been average his whole career or below average and this season has been his worst!!

Another person living in a fantasy. Are you guys high? Clearly you not only do NOT have a PhD in "line-stud" but you may also be blind... Usually people who need to see good can make a more accurate assessment.

yes I pay attention, even if he is average like you say, there are far more pressing needs on that line than center.

Jason Peters will still be playing at a high level when Wood was reaching the end.

At no time was it EVER a good thing that Peters wasn't here.

Peters is a flawless football player. Just dominates his position.

Much like Marshawn. Ex bills > current bills. Roster issues. Cant win them all, pulled the right strings with Byrd at least.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

But he really fell off this year. I was actually shocked by how bad he'd gotten this preseason. It wasn't a popular take.

Meanwhile.....as I predicted at the time of the trade.....Jason Peters will still be playing at a high level when Wood was reaching the end.

There is an increasing likelihood that that trade will be remembered as a Hall of Famer traded for somebody the average NFL fan has never heard of.

At no time was it EVER a good thing that Peters wasn't here. The Bills have assembled an OL without much athleticism. They do not look like a modern O-Line.

As for John from Hemet's take about Wood and his injuries.......yes, I called him "Balsa" Wood for a reason. He was easy to break early in his career. But athletes bounce back. A broken leg or a torn achilles used to be a career ender but not anymore.

He's no longer able to make the kind of plays where he was once hurt, though. So staying on the field has gotten easier.

Running downfield is how he tore his ACL. He can't get to the second level to save his life any longer.

Maybe he can get on a good HGH program and play better next year but I'm afraid he's got a bullseye on him now and even adding better OG's isn't going to matter. He's going to be attacked head on until he shows he can sink his hips and hold his ground or get a push.

Wood is so popular because A) fans wanted him to be good to justify the loss of Peters and B) He's a try hard and want-to player and a very likeable guy. Tons of good stories about him.

He's just not that good of a football player and that's what matters, unfortunately.

Really well said and unfortunately I couldn't agree more. He isn't a part of the OL solution; he's part of the problem.

What are we arguing about? You said it yourself, Eric Wood is a "line-stud."

I called him the most overrated player on the team around week 1 and got flamed. It came from good posters too (like Bandit). I just don't think that the guy is very good.

I specifically looked for your post in this thread...you were right, he's been underwhelming this year.

Good call mr. Kirby!

No team is ever perfect in personnel evaluation, and the Bills haven't shelled out big dollars on their own guys or UFA's, but the bigger money signings haven't been impressive.

Wood has been talked about here. Aaron Williams seems to get beat in coverage and takes bad angles to the ball.

The good has been trading for Jerry Hughes, re-signing Dan Carpenter, and to a lesser extent, UFA Corey Graham. Mike Williams was released and Bryce Brown hasn't seen much of the field. The other lower-cost signings/re-signings like Alan Branch, Lawson, Chandler, McKelvin, Chris Williams, Rivers, Spikes, and Dixon have been so-so.

No team is ever perfect in personnel evaluation, and the Bills haven't shelled out big dollars on their own guys or UFA's, but the bigger money signings haven't been impressive.

Wood has been talked about here. Aaron Williams seems to get beat in coverage and takes bad angles to the ball.

The good has been trading for Jerry Hughes, re-signing Dan Carpenter, and to a lesser extent, UFA Corey Graham. Mike Williams was released and Bryce Brown hasn't seen much of the field. The other lower-cost signings/re-signings like Alan Branch, Lawson, Chandler, McKelvin, Chris Williams, Rivers, Spikes, and Dixon have been so-so.

I think Williams is a very good safety. Yes, he gets beat, but so does every other safety in the league (he's not a CB, after all, even though he was drafted as one). He's had a good season.

I think Williams is a very good safety. Yes, he gets beat, but so does every other safety in the league (he's not a CB, after all, even though he was drafted as one). He's had a good season.

I'm not enthused about his play. For a team that puts pressure on QB's (at least earlier this season) I don't see Williams making many significant plays. And in the last two weeks he's been poor in run support. He's definitely not close to the worst, but the Bills talked him up so much last off-season and it's not there for me.

I'm not enthused about his play. For a team that puts pressure on QB's (at least earlier this season) I don't see Williams making many significant plays. And in the last two weeks he's been poor in run support. He's definitely not close to the worst, but the Bills talked him up so much last off-season and it's not there for me.

I agree with you -- but I think he has been dinged up all season and that's why we're seeing the dropoff. He's just not healthy.

He's had two bad games. He's played great last year and earlier this year.

I specifically looked for your post in this thread...you were right, he's been underwhelming this year.

Good call mr. Kirby!

I wish that I was wrong but he hasn't been a good player. He headed out below average last year (not that I put too much stock into that) but it's certainly and indication that he wasn't playing great.

I think Woods is serviceable if they replace the guards. The guards are so poor their play affected Glenn and Woods as they tried to cover for them. If I'm the Bills, I find replacements for both guard positions and a good backup to play center and guard and see what happens next year. It's be tough to replace 2 guards and center in one offseason.

Unfortunately I cannot argue with any of this........not when I see rb's having to create their own holes in the middle of the line play after play after play

Unfortunately I cannot argue with any of this........not when I see rb's having to create their own holes in the middle of the line play after play after play

HOWEVER.....I still think that if you put two monster guards along side of him he is very servicable

I think Woods is serviceable if they replace the guards. The guards are so poor their play affected Glenn and Woods as they tried to cover for them. If I'm the Bills, I find replacements for both guard positions and a good backup to play center and guard and see what happens next year. It's be tough to replace 2 guards and center in one offseason.

Wood = C, Woods = WR

Wow.

Sick of Eric Wood?

Everyone here was so happy when he chose to sign an extension with us rather than become a free agent and now people are sick of him?

Eric is part of the heart and soul of this team and I will never be sick of him

CBF

I'm with ya