Revisiting the Lynch trade

dave mcbride

I know he was one strike away and all, but this guy may well be one of the dozen greatest RBs of all time when it's all said and done (yes, I'm reacting a bit to his amazing 79 yard td run last night). Obviously, hindsight is 20-20, but we got virtually nothing for him and - with apologies to Fred - he's at least twice as good as any Bill offensive player since Kelly, Thomas, and Wolford. The last guy who came even remotely close was Moulds. And of course Lynch was pretty darn good his first two seasons with the Bills.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LyncMa00.htm

Watching the Bills pathetic running game this season, I can onlly say grr ...

Edited by dave mcbride

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know he was one strike away and all, but this guy may well be one of the dozen greatest RBs of all time when it's all said and done (yes, I'm reacting a bit to his amazing 79 yard td run last night). Obviously, hindsight is 20-20, but we got virtually nothing for him and - with apologies to Fred - he's at least twice as good as any Bill offensive player since Kelly, Thomas, and Wolford. The last guy who came even remotely close was Moulds. And of course Lynch was pretty darn good his first two seasons with the Bills.

It's tough because he was being super immature in Buffalo. But I agree, it's a tough pill to swallow. He is a dynamic RB.

The guy is a beast and could have been a career long Buffalo Bill if he wasn't such a problem off the field.

maybe just maybe his personal off field issues aside. he was smart enough to realize the dysfunction in Buffalo would get him nowhere in the league, much less a ring. he wanted out, and wasn't the first talented back to leave way before his expiration date.

One has to wonder when the comment to #94 in the media after he signed in Buffalo " Playing in Buffalo you will never see the playoffs" doesn't have some truth to it.

I remember Lynch commenting that he was a prisoner in his own apartment in Buffalo. He felt like he was under a microscope and was constantly watched and if he put his toe over a curb he would get arrested for jaywalking. Now, he may not have really been under such scrutiny but he FELT that he was...and made it very clear he was really unhappy in Buffalo. The Bills could have backed up a truck full of money and unloaded it on him, and he still wasn't going to stay here. So, regardless of what kind of runner he has become...it was never going to be for the Bills. The front office managed to get something for him, which, under the circumstances, was about the best we could have hoped for.

He was terrible here. Freddy outplayed him in every respect.

I think he figured out how to be a much more effective runner in Seattle (I had heard he started studying when he got there).

Not only did he start studying he said that he grew up when he got traded. Add that to being a west coast kid and Seattle was a very good landing spot for him to do well.

He never would have been a success if he had stayed here. I even remember not caring that much that he had been traded because of the character issues, his legal troubles etc. He also wasnt the player he is now back then. I remember him having trouble getting a first down on many short yardage plays (Now he seems unstoppable!!) Yes there were flashes of brilliance but he seemed like another Travis Henry with his problems. It just never would have happened here!

I remember Lynch commenting that he was a prisoner in his own apartment in Buffalo. He felt like he was under a microscope and was constantly watched and if he put his toe over a curb he would get arrested for jaywalking. Now, he may not have really been under such scrutiny but he FELT that he was...and made it very clear he was really unhappy in Buffalo. The Bills could have backed up a truck full of money and unloaded it on him, and he still wasn't going to stay here. So, regardless of what kind of runner he has become...it was never going to be for the Bills. The front office managed to get something for him, which, under the circumstances, was about the best we could have hoped for.

Not much comfort in that. They could've been aggressive and dealt him on draft day after they took Spiller. There were interested teams and they had holes everywhere.

Maybe there was just something in the back of Buddy's head nagging him that Spiller might not ever really be that every down guy.

They ripped off the Ravens in the McGahee trade and got excited by how smart they appeared to be, thinking they could pull off the same heist a second time. Oops.

We could also revisit the Peters trade. The league is littered with ex-Bills who are having highly productive careers.

Lynch wanted out and his off field activities were wearing thin.

it seems he's possibly worn out his welcome in Seattle

But in the interim, he helped win them a Superbowl. They more than got their ROI in that trade. They would do it again and again and again, in a heartbeat.

It sucks, but I can't blame the team for the decision they made. It's amazing to me that he has not been suspended since leaving here.

Its amazing to me that he has not killed someone while driving drunk again...and i am being serious.

Lets not forget he was arrested for DUI again in 2012...

He can score 100 touchdowns and win 5 more superbowls, i just dont care

...i could never root for this guy. Just lucky he was not our Leonard Little

Why not go the source... Marv Levy Mr Character Guy ignored the obvious downside and brought Lynch here. Lynch was a fish out of water and hated Buffalo...Who wouldnt coming from S Cal. Another waste of a draft choice.

http://www.pro-footb.../L/LyncMa00.htm

I look at it as a symptom of the coaching changes. Which is why, as somebody said tongue in cheek above, I think we will be looking for a running back like lynch and getting rid of spiller. Same thing that's happening with the oline, trying to get rid of the spread guys and replacing them with heavier plow boys. I hope that once the pegulas decide on a front office/coaching staff they get 4-6 years to make it work so we don't have to spend resources replacing serviceable players because they are not "our" type of player.

It's tough because he was being super immature in Buffalo. But I agree, it's a tough pill to swallow. He is a dynamic RB.

Bills fans have swallowed so many tough pills it's a wonder any of us are still healthy. But that's a Buffalo thing: put up with the pain; the law of averages says that one day it will get better. As a Buffalo sports fan, the "will" is more appropriately "may."

I think he figured out how to be a much more effective runner in Seattle (I had heard he started studying when he got there).

He was terrific in his rookie season and very good in his second season (he made the pro bowl). He slipped after that, and the Bills gave up on him (plus there was the off-field stuff).

He was a behavior issue.. I'm glad he got his act together.. I guess he just needed time to mature. That's called life. I wish he had this realization in Buffalo but too bad. Towards the end he was being outplayed by Fred and behaving like a criminal. What would a team pay top dollar for that

Why not go the source... Marv Levy Mr Character Guy ignored the obvious downside and brought Lynch here. Lynch was a fish out of water and hated Buffalo...Who wouldnt coming from S Cal. Another waste of a draft choice.

He's actually from Oakland, which is most assuredly in northern California.

It's was one of the DUMBEST moves of this century, which coupled with the draftin of Spiller makes it an even dumber decision.

And to think, they REPEATED the mistake when they traded away Stevie Johnson, who would have been killing it in te slot this year.

Woof

It's was one of the DUMBEST moves of this century, which coupled with the draftin of Spiller makes it an even dumber decision.

And to think, they REPEATED the mistake when they traded away Stevie Johnson, who would have been killing it in te slot this year.

Woof

You mean the same Stevie Johnson who has all of 435 yards receiving this year?

You mean the same Stevie Johnson who has all of 435 yards receiving this year?

To be fair to Johnson, the Niners give up a 3rd instead of a 4th if he performs at certain level. He has 4 catches in his last 5 games, and in three of his last four he had zero. After 10 games, he was on pace to catch 52 balls. I can't help but think that Niners shut him down knowing that more production by him would turn that pick from a 4th into a 3rd. Also factor in that it became clear a few games ago that the Niners' chances of making the playoffs were very unlikely.

Edited by dave mcbride

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LyncMa00.htm

It's amazing how people feel the need to revisit the Lynch trade every time he has a good game on national TV.

Edited by Max997

Woof

Player x: 40 catches, 423 yards, 4 tds, long catch of 31.

Stevie: 35 catches, 435 yards, 3 tds, long catch of 32.

Want to guess who player x is?

Better look at his stats in 2007 and 2008

Bills fans are hyper-reactive once they decide they don't like you that's all she wrote and they decided they didn't like Lynch

thats right...and still don't like Lynch as a man off the field. Would rather be 2-14 than root for that guy on my team...pretty str8 forward for me.

This guy hit someone with a car and took off....and you want him on your team?

thats right...and still don't like Lynch as a man off the field. Would rather be 2-14 than root for that guy on my team...pretty str8 forward for me.

This guy hit someone with a car and took off....and you want him on your team?

In a HEARTBEAT. The hate Lynch got from fans never made sense. The guy's a good dude and not anywhere close to the "thug/monster" he was made out to be by some around here.

I hated the trade when it went down and hated more how it went down. The Hawks robbed OBD and the Spiller pick to compensate for losing Lynch only dug the hole deeper.

None other than Kirby's favorite whipping boy Chris Hogan?

You are correct!!!

I noticed when checking fantasy for late season pickups that Hogan and Stevie are having almost identical years statistically. I wonder if the Taco bet has been paid yet? I believe it us to 2 tacos now! :lol:

In a HEARTBEAT. The hate Lynch got from fans never made sense. The guy's a good dude and not anywhere close to the "thug/monster" he was made out to be by some around here.

I hated the trade when it went down and hated more how it went down. The Hawks robbed OBD and the Spiller pick to compensate for losing Lynch only dug the hole deeper.

I am just the opposite Greggy..and dont tell me it was a one time mistake...he was arrested for a DUI after he was traded. As you can see from other threads i have been in for the last 6 weeks...I hate that this team loses and the whole 9 yards.....

but i would never root for this guy...3000 yards in a season i would still not want him on my team

i know you have a different opinion.