Revisiting the Lynch trade

dave mcbride

It's amazing how people feel the need to revisit the Lynch trade every time he has a good game on national TV.

True, but in some alternative football universe, Aaron Rodgers (in a Jupiter Bills uniform) is handing off the ball to Marshawn Lynch, who is running through a huge hole opened up by Andy Levitre ... ok, maybe not that last part.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But in the interim, he helped win them a Superbowl. They more than got their ROI in that trade. They would do it again and again and again, in a heartbeat.

while that is true, there may be other factors to also consider

1) the Bills were not SB caliber even if he stayed and

2) if he was unhappy he may not have given 100%

Worst trade since LaMonica and Bass for Flores and Powell. We got a fourth rounder, I think. Folks on the board were upset at his off field antics, and the the fools we had coaching didn't know how to use him. I laugh that some are talking about bringing Chan back to be OC...Maybe we can get to the playoffs bringing Dick Jauron to be DC. Get all the losers together to produce a winner.

He was terrific in his rookie season and very good in his second season (he made the pro bowl). He slipped after that, and the Bills gave up on him (plus there was the off-field stuff).

We had this same exact debate last year (and probably a few other times in the past). How about we cut to the chase and just rest on our prior posts? :D

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/165561-what-did-we-get-for-marshawn-lynch/page__st__80 (see page 5)

I know he was one strike away and all, but this guy may well be one of the dozen greatest RBs of all time when it's all said and done (yes, I'm reacting a bit to his amazing 79 yard td run last night). Obviously, hindsight is 20-20, but we got virtually nothing for him and - with apologies to Fred - he's at least twice as good as any Bill offensive player since Kelly, Thomas, and Wolford. The last guy who came even remotely close was Moulds. And of course Lynch was pretty darn good his first two seasons with the Bills.

http://www.pro-footb.../L/LyncMa00.htm

Watching the Bills pathetic running game this season, I can onlly say grr ...

I have no idea why he was traded. I remember being so pissed off when we drafted Spiller in 2010. I just knew they were going to do something stupid and trade one of the RBs. These morons trade the best one and get garbage in return.

I know he was one strike away and all, but this guy may well be one of the dozen greatest RBs of all time when it's all said and done (yes, I'm reacting a bit to his amazing 79 yard td run last night). Obviously, hindsight is 20-20, but we got virtually nothing for him and - with apologies to Fred - he's at least twice as good as any Bill offensive player since Kelly, Thomas, and Wolford. The last guy who came even remotely close was Moulds. And of course Lynch was pretty darn good his first two seasons with the Bills.

http://www.pro-footb.../L/LyncMa00.htm

at the the time Fred was better than him, I think his attitude of not wanting to be here contributed to his trade. He is a beast but he still is a douche-bag

Lynch would make his yards in Buffalo with three defenders draped all over him, and the coaching staff thought he couldn't find the hole...when there wasn't even a crease for more then a millisecond.

I yearn for the days when the Bills finally hire a president of football operations that actually has a career record of doing a good job at his profession. aka the wizard of Oz, Ozzie Newsome in Baltimore, Ted Thompson Green Bay, Jerry Reese in NY Giants. John Schneider in Seattle.

Buddy Nix was a buffoon, and Doug Whaley reporting to the finance / marketing guy in Russ Brandon is wrong on so many levels.

Cause he was involved in a hit an run, was arrested on felony gun charges, and is an overall bad guy.

And oh yea, was arrested again fro DUI after being traded

It wasn't a felony gun charge -- if you're going to slam the guy, at least get your facts straight. He's not an overall bad guy, he's actually quite nice. He made mistakes and paid for them, but he's not a bad guy no matter how much you'd like to believe it.

It was mishandled badly....but lets not forget that Lynch was a complete malcontent while he was here who frankly looked like he came into camp out of shape.

In the end......the move probably saved his career.

Look...I know this is probably a bad day to say this but too much dwelling on the past is not going to do anything for us now.

- We do in fact have a new owner......and I expect change

- We do in fact have one side of the ball fixed...and special teams looked much better this year

- Our weakness is absolutely identifiable........and I expect it to be addressed in a big way

NEXT year (and yes....I know we have been saying that) but NEXT year this is a playoff team.

It wasn't a felony gun charge -- if you're going to slam the guy, at least get your facts straight. He's not an overall bad guy, he's actually quite nice. He made mistakes and paid for them, but he's not a bad guy no matter how much you'd like to believe it.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3909366

says it was here

And yes, i think he is a bad guy. Hit and run, then a DUI...

And Greggy, to be clear i just get upset when people think this was a football only move..it wasnt, it was a move made i think more for non football reasons.

I loved the guy as a football player, but my gut tells me Ralph said to get rid of him...and i am /was totally onboard with the trade...as were almost 100% of the people on this board when it was made....not going back on it now

Edited by plenzmd1

Cause he was involved in a hit an run, was arrested on felony gun charges, and is an overall bad guy.

And oh yea, was arrested again fro DUI after being traded

Thanks for setting the record straight. Still was a bad trade.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LyncMa00.htm

I said it when they let him walk, and I think it every time I see him play in Seattle... he's a great player and we were stupid for letting him go.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3909366

says it was here

And yes, i think he is a bad guy. Hit and run, then a DUI...

And Greggy, to be clear i just get upset when people think this was a football only move..it wasnt, it was a move made i think more for non football reasons.

I loved the guy as a football player, but my gut tells me Ralph said to get rid of him...and i am /was totally onboard with the trade...as were almost 100% of the people on this board when it was made....not going back on it now

It was a misdemeanor and resulted in 80 hours of community service. It was not a felony charge or conviction. And if the majority opinion of this board ran the Bills, they'd be in the CFL by now and still mired in a playoff drought. :nana:

People didn't like Lynch, I understand that. But posts like yours (full of hyperbole and personal attacks on a guy you've never met) are easy and cheap. I'm not trying to change your opinion on the guy, just saying you don't need to invent things to make him sound worse than he really is.

When we traded Lynch, I assumed the Bills knew something I didn't. On the surface, it was a terrible trade. But if Lynch, for example, was a drug abuser on the verge of a suspension, the trade would make sense.

Living in Seattle, I can tell you that the fans here feel they stole Lynch in that trade and they're overjoyed to have him.

He's kept his nose mostly clean since he's been here. He's described by the Hawk players as a good teammate.

I'm not sure what drove the Bills to rid themselves of Lynch but I think hindsight says it was a bad move, whatever you may think of Lynch as a person.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I love how every Marshawn Lynch debate ends up being about the kind of guy he is, and not the player that he is. Sure he made mistakes here, but let's be realistic. This is the NFL not a church football league. There are a lot of good guys, but there are also a lot of guys doing questionable things, and many times we don't even know about it if no arrest is made. I just enjoy rooting for my team and watching football. I don't need to live in some fantasy world that I'm rooting for a bunch of perfect men. I don't think 90s Cowboys fans cared too much when they brought the Lombardi trophy back home. Football is just entertainment, our entertainers can be flawed humans too. That's why I view it from a purely football perspective. The Lynch trade set us back no question. For a while it seemed we made a habit of letting productive players go. Only to create a hole at their position, when we needed help in other areas too. The Levy/Nix area was great at that, and we still are paying the price.

It was a misdemeanor and resulted in 80 hours of community service. It was not a felony charge or conviction. And if the majority opinion of this board ran the Bills, they'd be in the CFL by now and still mired in a playoff drought. :nana:

People didn't like Lynch, I understand that. But posts like yours (full of hyperbole and personal attacks on a guy you've never met) are easy and cheap. I'm not trying to change your opinion on the guy, just saying you don't need to invent things to make him sound worse than he really is.

I get your point, but i do not believe one thing i have said in this thread was hyperbole. I have said he was involved in a hit and run..he was.

I have said he was arrested on felony gun charges..he was. As you say, was reduced, but the initial charge was a felony gun charge.

I said he was arrested for DUI, he was, Negotiated down to Reckless, but he was still arrested for a DUI.

Like i said in an earlier post, the memory of the Rams employing Leonard Little after a manslaughter conviction while driving drunk just comes forefront to my mind. Yes, in the hit and run the lady was not severly hurt, but no way he knew that when he sped off. And yes, i am making a leap and thinking he took off cause he was drinking...and that is pure speculation.

But then to get another DUI....i don't take that as a good guy.

I forgive isolated mistakes, I have made more than my share. But i cant forgive patterns when it comes to peoples saftey