Russ Brandon: "Marrone Has Changed the Bills' Culture"

26CornerBlitz

I would take that one large step further. I don't believe even when RB was the GM he was making many football decisions and I mean that in a good way. Pure speculation but I'd be shocked if in most cases he didn't defer to either Dick J or Buddy and he'd just sign off on it. In some cases, maybe often Dick and Buddy may disagree, those may be the few times he did make any kind of a decision as he'd then break the tie. But really can't see Dick J being the type who'd dig his heels in on much of anything and even if he did, would anyone notice. I don't think RB ever even wanted to be the GM, but Ralph asked him so he did it but within what was it two years handed it off to Buddy. At that point in time Ralph was not involved with much of anything so would have been very easy for RB to convince Ralph to leave him as GM if RB wanted to. Making Buddy the GM was likely Russ's idea to start with.

@Kirby -- They can't see the definitive changes made within the organization since Russ became CEO and understand he hasn't been involved in football (i.e., personnel) decisions for quite a while.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People were ready to burn the stadium down. Ralph said "head of football" like 500 times during Nix's PC to drive the point home that the change was being made. I doubt it was Brandon's choice. Any self-respecting male would relish the opportunity to play GM of a major pro sports team.

Edited by May Day 10

Which is appreciated by those of us (like me) away from the inner workings and relying upon forums like these for our information. :thumbsup:

eball, You don't have to be immersed in the inner workings of the organization to judge results, the ultimate measurement. The Bills sold out all their games, including late season winter games where in prior years plenty of seats were empty. In addition, the season is close to concluding and at least mathematically the Bills are still in the playoff hunt. When was the last time that happened?

The Bills have a young and much respected GM and new ownership who not only made a committment to keep the team in the region but is committed to the product on the field. Anyone who doesn't believe that the trajectory is upwards is clueless and has little appreciation for the positive things that have already happened.

The next franchise challenge is to get a credible qb who will lead this team to a post season appearance and beyond. If that can be done then we're really cooking! We have gone from a depressing environment of annual pessimism to an invigorating environment of optimism. Breathe deep eball, breathe deep and take it in.

Well, to those who say "nothing has changed" I say of course not! Yet. It's been a couple of months and the Pegulas are still feeling their way around.

I think the answer to all this is really simple. Russ will inevitably lose some power as he was essentially playing owner before. Sure, he is respected. Not to minimize that, but a lot of guys in the league are very respected and they get replaced or step aside or assume diminished roles all the time. Russ has done a great job with the business side of the team but he has also over the past several years assumed a lot of other powers that an owner would normally have.

That isn't the way the Pegulas do business. Never had been and it never will be. Terry and Kim aren't going to sit at home in Florida with bated breath to see how Russ Brandon will run their football team. If you were paying attention to the "One Buffalo" article that was recently published where the Pegulas outlined their ideas for this new initiative they were pretty clear that they see the role of owner as being involved, making a difference, making decisions, NOT sitting up in the box looking important (or something to that effect).

You doubt it? Remember when Terry hired Pat Lafontaine to be his President of Hockey Operations? I'm sure Terry thought it would be fun to work together with one of his heroes on building the Sabres. Apparently, Pat thought it would be fun to be President of Hockey Ops and run the Sabres himself and didn't appreciate the "help" he received from Terry in pretty much every decision. Terry seemed genuinely hurt by what happened. It was supposed to be a team effort, with him leading the team (i.e. not Pat).

You can expect something similar with the Bills, maybe even more so given the level of investment. Whether that is good or bad remains to be seen, but this is an owner who got on his private plane to go recruit free agents for the Sabres. I'm not saying he will fly to Chicago to go visit Jay Cutler (just an example), but I'm also not going to be shocked if he does something like that either.

Right now it's pretty much status quo, but remember, they haven't done anything yet. It will be interesting to see how Russ handles working with owners who are going to make a lot of decisions that he used to be the ultimate authority on.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Pass to score, run to win.

GO BILLS!!!

I like this phrase.

Thanks for the note to both you and Big Cat.

To the OP point,Brandon has transitioned the team very nicely during all the major drama and held the Operation together almost seamlessly.

I used to harangue him for meddling. But i am quite fine with his role as it appears to currently be.

His tan always unnerves me though.

I like this phrase.

Thanks for the note to both you and Big Cat.

To the OP point,Brandon has transitioned the team very nicely during all the major drama and held the Operation together almost seamlessly.

I used to harangue him for meddling. But i am quite fine with his role as it appears to currently be.

His tan always unnerves me though.

I hear ya. It really "popped" on screen while watching 'Draft Day'. Indeed, Russ Brandon was a cinematic tour de force in his brief appearance.

GO BILLS!!!

I hear ya. It really "popped" on screen while watching 'Draft Day'. Indeed, Russ Brandon was a cinematic tour de force in his brief appearance.

GO BILLS!!!

LOL

Its a western NY team and he looks all Florida South Beached. or he is in the tanning booth. which is creepier even...

In my lifetime, born in 1969, the Steelers have had three head coaches. In the 21st century we have had what 6! Firing Marone and starting again IS NOT the answer. Even considering this is nothing short of stupid. Now of Marone decided to change the OC, I wouldn't be unhappy but I doubt he's going to do that.

I am pretty sure we would all like to see some changes to the play calling, and I still am completely dumbfounded as to why we don't have creative offensive groupings say CJ and FJ on field together (when they were healthy). Or at least better route combination would be helpful but perhaps he'll improve with time. He was like 12 years old when we hired him.

The hiring of Marrone demonstrates the change from the old ways of doing business to a more collaborative professional approach. There was a process and there were consultations among the participants. The parties involved in the process (Nix, Whaley and Brandon) before they made a selection agreed on criteria and used it in assessing the applicants.

The above is quite presumptuous imo.

Brandon had the power, and Marrone was a Syracuse crony who he even allowed to bring in his staff. I too will make a presumption: I am guessing that Marrone and Hackett are two of the lowest paid persons at their respective jobs.

Ask yourself this if you will.....if the Bills don't make the playoffs and fire Marrone, how many teams do you think will be clamoring around to sign him as a head coach?

Marrone might be a good head coach some day. I am NOT saying that this cannot happen. There ARE things that I like about him. But to say that hiring a cheap, inexperienced head coach with a so-so resume was some sort of monumental achievement is a mischaracterization of sorts.

Jmo.

LOL

Its a western NY team and he looks all Florida South Beached. or he is in the tanning booth. which is creepier even...

When RB is in the room, EVERYBODY else looks like the the main character from the film 'Powder.' Even Boobie Dixon.

GO BILLS!!!

When RB is in the room, EVERYBODY else looks like the the main character from the film 'Powder.' Even Boobie Dixon.

GO BILLS!!!

Ha ha !!

Well done K.

On another note , i just saw the Pic of Boobie sitting in the stands after Lamboing his way up there. There is a young caucasian girl looking on in awe as the adult fans are cheering. Dixon looks peaceful. Quite a contrast in photography. Thats the kinda stuff i love.

Brandon, not so much.

But he is ours just the same

Go Bills !

Ha ha !!

Well done K.

On another note , i just saw the Pic of Boobie sitting in the stands after Lamboing his way up there. There is a young caucasian girl looking on in awe as the adult fans are cheering. Dixon looks peaceful. Quite a contrast in photography. Thats the kinda stuff i love.

Brandon, not so much.

But he is ours just the same

Go Bills !

Not to derail the subject but how much do you love Boobie?!? He fits in perfectly. That guy seems like such a character. I follow him on Twitter & Instagram and it's entertaining prettying every time he posts. Glad to have him!!

Not to derail the subject but how much do you love Boobie?!? He fits in perfectly. That guy seems like such a character. I follow him on Twitter & Instagram and it's entertaining prettying every time he posts. Glad to have him!!

This much

( )

what a character. Smart , professional player. Knows the game and the nuances . Leader ? Heck yes. and the Kid can just play football.

Huge asset. Lucky to have him.

Brandon did a nice job finding him ?!lol. now lets keep him around

Brandon had the power, and Marrone was a Syracuse crony who he even allowed to bring in his staff. I too will make a presumption: I am guessing that Marrone and Hackett are two of the lowest paid persons at their respective jobs.

Ask yourself this if you will.....if the Bills don't make the playoffs and fire Marrone, how many teams do you think will be clamoring around to sign him as a head coach?

Marrone might be a good head coach some day. I am NOT saying that this cannot happen. There ARE things that I like about him. But to say that hiring a cheap, inexperienced head coach with a so-so resume was some sort of monumental achievement is a mischaracterization of sorts.

Jmo.

The same number of NFL teams that would be clamoring after Brandon to be their President or CEO if he got dumped by the Pegulas. ;)

Jmo.

Gotham Bill, Good hearing from you. There is a void when you don't post your game impressions.

You, not I, are the one are being presumptious. I don't know where you came up with this crony relationship between Marrone and Brandon. There is a Syracuse connection but there isn't a personal connection between the two as far as I know.

If you recall during the hiring process Buffalo wasn't the only team that interviewed Marrone. I'm not suggesting that he was a "hot" commodity but he was a serious HC candidate for a number of teams. Contrary to how you are protraying his candidacy he was not an attractive candidate simply because he came cheaply.

Odds are that the Bills will not make the playoffs. And it is very probable that Marrone will still return as the HC. I'm also confident that he will be the one making the decision to retain or dismiss any of his staff. With respect to how much money Marrone makes I'm sure that it falls in the appropriate range for a first time HC hire. Without precisely knowing what it is I sure it is in the price range of new hires who didn't have previous HCing experience. I wouldn't be surprised if Hackett falls within the lower range because he was hired as an inexperienced coordinator.

I'm not bothered by the amount either is getting. If Marrone does a good job over the next few years I'm confident that he will get an increase in salary in his next contract commensurate with the job he does. With respect to Hackett he is unfairly criticized for the job he is doing. How does anyone expect him to get good results when the qb he is calling plays for is atrocious? Hackett is without a doubt calling plays for the worst starting qb in the league. He is also calling plays for one of the least mobile qbs, further limiting the plays that can be called on his behalf. He should be getting a Christmas bonus for having the fortitude to work with the garbage he is working with!

I strongly believe that the Marrone hire was a collaborative hire among Whaley, Nix and Brandon. You have on a number of occasions more than insuated that this was primarily a Brandon hire without much meaningful input from the other two who were also involved with the interview process. I respectfully but strenuously disagree with your assumptions on the hire and on the process.

I think this team is on the verge of making it very difficult for some long time good respectable TBD posters, who have been beaten into doubting thomases through years of prior Bills ineptitude, to make such frequent sour assumptions. Just my 2 cents.

We are a QB away (though easier said than done).

Orton isn't good, but worst starting QB in the league?

Tennessee, Jacksonville, St. Louis, Arizona, Houston, Washington, Tampa bay, New York, and Cleveland would have a strong argument against that being the case....

Yes the QB's we have are below average to bad, but everyone should be held accountable for this atrocity of an offense, coaches included.

I don't totally put the blame on Hackett. I think the offense is an extension of Marrone unfortunately.

In the last three weeks, he has played close to the worst if not the worst. Just one brutal stretch of NFL quarterbacking by Orton.

In the last three weeks, he has played close to the worst if not the worst. Just one brutal stretch of NFL quarterbacking by Orton.

This is true. I have been saying he is due for a good game for a while now. It hasn't come.

I suspect opposing defensive coordinators have caught on to what he can and can't do, and have taken away what he CAN do, daring him to do what he can't do.

And unfortunately he is not good enough to overcome this predicament.

It's a similar problem to what we had with Fitz and EJ. Among others.

The same number of NFL teams that would be clamoring after Brandon to be their President or CEO if he got dumped by the Pegulas. ;)

It's funny reading stuff like this, from folks who have no clue and simply take every opportunity to bash the guy. Make no mistake, Brandon would be pursued by either an NFL franchise or the NFL front office. He has done a terrific job of "normalizing" the Bills organization and how they operate.

I'm not bothered by the amount either is getting. If Marrone does a good job over the next few years I'm confident that he will get an increase in salary in his next contract commensurate with the job he does. With respect to Hackett he is unfairly criticized for the job he is doing. How does anyone expect him to get good results when the qb he is calling plays for is atrocious? Hackett is without a doubt calling plays for the worst starting qb in the league. He is also calling plays for one of the least mobile qbs, further limiting the plays that can be called on his behalf. He should be getting a Christmas bonus for having the fortitude to work with the garbage he is working with!

Make a mental note about the excuses and scapegoats you guys keep making for Hackett. If Hackett is back next year, the Bills offense will continue to suck, and yes, that is even if they find better guards and a different qb to play for this team. His offense sucks by design, or else he just sucks teaching it, if he can't get production out of this many different guys. The excuses are simply laughable.

Jmo.

I think he gets quite a few looks and offers and has a job right away. In the inner NFL circle he has taken a total laughingstock of a team and made them play hard, win, and be relevant again. Not easy to do in just 2 years, so yeah I think he would be snapped up right away.

It's funny reading stuff like this, from folks who have no clue and simply take every opportunity to bash the guy. Make no mistake, Brandon would be pursued by either an NFL franchise or the NFL front office. He has done a terrific job of "normalizing" the Bills organization and how they operate.

It's more funny reading stuff like this, from folks who are extremely naive & believe anything they read from 'insiders' on a message board. :D

It's more funny reading stuff like this, from folks who are extremely naive & believe anything they read from 'insiders' on a message board. :D

definitely - it's far more intelligent to brush off the info shared by folks who have shown to have real insight in the past, in favor of making things up that fit their own opinion on the matter. Edited by YoloinOhio

I said they were asking questions according to an agenda they had, regardless of whether the angle was valid. If you think that is being "mean" you are entitled to your opinion. I don't.

yeah their agenda is to bring up the same topics that we kick around here and on the radio. why do you get to decide if the "angle was valid?" i don't hear many questions asked that i'm not curious to hear the answer to.

yes, that's gonna make people uncomfortable sometimes. but they're big boys. kyle williams is paid very well to cope with all these hidden agendas and it seems like he is up to the task. that doesn't mean i don't want him asked about how it feels to play on the best defense with a horrible offense and coach who thinks it's 1986.

you guys that cry about the media all day long are the ones who give them so much power ...and waaaay overstate their influence. what do you want...hockey hotline and the john murphy show?? that is the crap that is impossible to listen to. unicorns and rainbows.

yeah their agenda is to bring up the same topics that we kick around here and on the radio. why do you get to decide if the "angle was valid?" i don't hear many questions asked that i'm not curious to hear the answer to.

yes, that's gonna make people uncomfortable sometimes. but they're big boys. kyle williams is paid very well to cope with all these hidden agendas and it seems like he is up to the task. that doesn't mean i don't want him asked about how it feels to play on the best defense with a horrible offense and coach who thinks it's 1986.

you guys that cry about the media all day long are the ones who give them so much power ...and waaaay overstate their influence. what do you want...hockey hotline and the john murphy show?? that is the crap that is impossible to listen to. unicorns and rainbows.

i am not 'crying' about the local media. I think they do come across like amateurs in a lot of cases, like this one. Reporting on controversy is welcome and expected. Trying to create something where there isn't any is something most people can see through. There is clearly an agenda, as they keep asking the same questions over and over and aren't getting the answers they want. So instead of reporting on something real they beat a dead horse on a topic that seems baseless. It has nothing to do with comparing it to JMS. Everyone knows what they are going to get with that show. I have little doubt that it will be someone from the national media who finally reports on the real story behind the Mike Williams situation while the local guys are chasing down every last guy on the roster looking for that elusive quote they can use in their article they decided should be about the defense being frustrated by the offense's low productivity. It's their opinion they should be frustrated, so therefore it must be true. Great reporting.

"and waaaay overstate their influence". Interesting comment about the modern media and the realtively new social media dynamic. You probably should never be a political consultant.

Orton isn't good, but worst starting QB in the league?

Tennessee, Jacksonville, St. Louis, Arizona, Houston, Washington, Tampa bay, New York, and Cleveland would have a strong argument against that being the case....

Yes the QB's we have are below average to bad, but everyone should be held accountable for this atrocity of an offense, coaches included.

I don't totally put the blame on Hackett. I think the offense is an extension of Marrone unfortunately.

I say it with an abundance of confidence that Orton is the worst starting qb in the league. If you factor in his lack of mobility you magnify his overwhelming deficiencies. His performances this year are less than mediocre. The mere fact that you are making comparisons with other qb deficient teams illustrate my point that he is at the bottom of the heap.

Make a mental note about the excuses and scapegoats you guys keep making for Hackett. If Hackett is back next year, the Bills offense will continue to suck, and yes, that is even if they find better guards and a different qb to play for this team. His offense sucks by design, or else he just sucks teaching it, if he can't get production out of this many different guys. The excuses are simply laughable.

How does an OC call plays for a qb that can't execute plays? It is unfair to evaluate coaches when the players under their tutelage are hideously inept. You work with the talent you have been given. When a qb's talent reservoir is empty there is nothing to draw from.

I've been called a lot of things...naive ain't one of them. You're very consistent with your remarks around here...consistently uninformed.

Well, he is working at getting his own "brand" out there, for sure. That he is blowing his own horn on this hire and extremely brief stint as the proxy-owner with this statement is undeniable.

What seems like it could be walking out on a limb is to say these things with two games to go and on the radio. Maybe he is confident that he already has the Pegulas 100% bought in to his viewpoint and strategic vision and direction for how things will continue to be run and regardless of what happens.

Well, he is working at getting his own "brand" out there, for sure. That he is blowing his own horn on this hire and extremely brief stint as the proxy-owner with this statement is undeniable.

What seems like it could be walking out on a limb is to say these things with two games to go and on the radio. Maybe he is confident that he already has the Pegulas 100% bought in to his viewpoint and strategic vision and direction for how things will continue to be run and regardless of what happens.

I know Brandon has met with the Pegulas in Florida at least once to discuss the future of the franchise moving forward. I have no doubt that he has lobbied hard for no changes in the football operations at OBD.

I know Brandon has met with the Pegulas in Florida at least once to discuss the future of the franchise moving forward. I have no doubt that he has lobbied hard for no changes in the football operations at OBD.

I have absolutely no doubt he has lobbied hard for the status quo.

(The variable that we don't know is exactly what the Pegulas are thinking. It does seem a little strange that Brandon, as an employee, is giving the appearance that he may be incautious about making sure he is fully aligned with his new bosses' vision. As owners, they are allowed to form their own after all.)

More like by him hiring really good D coordinators & them carrying the team along with the character of the players on both sides of the ball is what is changing the team not the HC ...

Sure he may be a good guy but his football intelligence has been less than stellar to say the least !!

Now i would more say that Whaley is the one that needs the praise but seeing as that was a Buddy hire & Marrone was a homer hire of Brandons i believe that is why the praise goes there .

Besides Brandon needs to pump up his accomplishments to the new owner after the Toronto series debacle !!

I think he gets quite a few looks and offers and has a job right away. In the inner NFL circle he has taken a total laughingstock of a team and made them play hard, win, and be relevant again. Not easy to do in just 2 years, so yeah I think he would be snapped up right away.

I'm not sure he would be snapped up straight away but if the Bills make 9-7 or 10-6 this year and he is fired I would put good money on him getting another shot somewhere down the line. He would walk into a college job or I could see him getting an o-lin / Assist HC job in the NFL somewhere. He maybe would wait 2/3/4 years for another shot but I think he would get one. My boss is a Bears fan and he cannot understand why Bills fans get after Marrone - fans of other teams think he has done well to turn around a perennial loser at least to some extent.

I'm not sure he would be snapped up straight away but if the Bills make 9-7 or 10-6 this year and he is fired I would put good money on him getting another shot somewhere down the line. He would walk into a college job or I could see him getting an o-lin / Assist HC job in the NFL somewhere. He maybe would wait 2/3/4 years for another shot but I think he would get one. My boss is a Bears fan and he cannot understand why Bills fans get after Marrone - fans of other teams think he has done well to turn around a perennial loser at least to some extent.

But that's because people don't know the Bills that well. We won 7 games with much less talent under Jauron. Winning 2 more games with a much, much better team isn't amazing coaching IMO. Especially when his specialty, offense, is far and way the worst part of this team.

I think you could pretty much sub any NFL coach into Marrone's spot and our record would be the same if not better. We are loaded but we have such losing mentalities, that a non losing season is a major accomplishment. It's not with this talent and defense.

Of course they do. And they wouldn't know very well. They don't pay close attention. The same way we don't really know what is really going on with the Bucs or the Texans or the Cardinals.

He will be back next year. The only way he won't be is if we lose both of the next two (and he still likely stays). Or the Pegulas and Whaley demand he gets a new OC and Marrone quits. That's unlikely, since it really wouldn't matter much as its Marrone's offense he's running.