Give us your overall impression of Sammy Watkins

HOUSE

I am interested in your over all grade 1-10. (10 being the best)Sammy Watkins now has more receptions then Joe Cribbs (52) who held the rookie record.

Watkins now has 58

I have two gripes, catches EVERYTHING in Practice but appears to give up on game day passes AND an annoying durability problem.

Keep in mind, this is a rookie and if this guy continues to improve he will be well worth the drafting price.

I give him an overall score of 8

http://www.buffalobi...af-89c49dcf2e09

Edited by HOUSE

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am interested in your over all grade 1-10. He now has more receptions then Joe Cribbs (52) who held the rookie record for receptions.

Watkins now has 58

I have two gripes, catches EVERYTHING in Practice but appears to give up on game day passes AND an annoying durability problem.

Keep in mind, this is a rookie and if this guy continues to improve he will be well worth the drafting price it cost Buffalo..

fabulous. gonna be a great one if they find a QB. If they don't , his numbers will just be average and everyone will blame him and the team for drafting him. Usual deal.

I am interested in your over all grade 1-10. He now has more receptions then Joe Cribbs (52) who held the rookie record for receptions.

Watkins now has 58

Keep in mind, this is a rookie and if this guy continues to improve he will be well worth the drafting price it cost Buffalo..

I would counter the "annoying" durability problem by indicating that he's actually played tough through the injuries. If he's been out all season then annoying may be the right way to describe, but I think he's tough as hell

I also think he's by far the best player on our side of the ball offensively, love his attitude, and with a better qb can look like the AJ Green, Julio Jones, and dez Bryant's of the league. With more experience, if he turns out like those guys I think the price was worth it.

Mike Evans is a stud but wouldn't have been there at our original pick. Odell Beckham is better than I thought coming out of college, but I like sammy.

With regards to what we gave up, I honestly think nexus years qb class is a dud. Not a fan of Mariotta or Winston, and I think it's a little deeper where someone in the 2nd round could be had.

More like a strong #2, than a true #1.

Say that because a true #1 is "open when covered" like a Julio Jones or Dez Bryant. Sammy isn't as tall as those guys, and lacks the leaping ability to make up for it and win jump balls. Of the current crop I see Beckham and maybe Evans becoming true #1's.

Say that because a true #1 is "open when covered" like a Julio Jones or Dez Bryant. Sammy isn't as tall as those guys, and lacks the leaping ability to make up for it and win jump balls. Of the current crop I see Beckham and maybe Evans becoming true #1's.

Yeah, I keep hearing about height being a requirement for being a #1 WR, explain Antonio Brown or Welker in his hayday. In fact Reggie Wayne, TY Hilton, Emmanuel Sanders etc are all great WR under 6 ft and Watkins is 6'2

Edited by Hazed and Amuzed

"Gives up on game day passes"?!

uh No.

In a few years we'll know how the trade-up worked out for us, but until then I love watching the guy more than any other player we have (tied with CJ when he's hot).

Next year he'll be even better. If he's not injury prone, he's a pro bowler next season. Even with a sub par qb.

Watkins now has 58

The kid has played thru injuries all year, no durability issues. He is the real deal. Has amazing hands, is strong, and runs NFL routes as a rookie.

Not this. Julio catches everything. Falcons never lose games.

"Gives up on game day passes"?!

uh No.

In a few years we'll know how the trade-up worked out for us, but until then I love watching the guy more than any other player we have (tied with CJ when he's hot).

Next year he'll be even better. If he's not injury prone, he's a pro bowler next season. Even with a sub par qb.

Uh, I think he's referring to dropped passes & fumbles...uh Edited by Hot Buffalo Wings

If he can get/stay healthy, he's going to be an elite WR. He needs to learn how to speak (and when not to speak) to the media, but that's a normal growing pain for someone thrust into the spotlight.

He's proven that he's got the physical tools to be special. Now he just needs to prove that he's durable enough to use them.

Watkins now has 58

Durability? Gives up on game day? This is the 'signature' catch of his season so far and it puts both of those to shame. Guy with busted ribs completely exposes himself on this play.

http://www.nfl.com/v...tips-to-himself

Has absolutely everything you want in a true #1 WR...except for a QB that's willing to push the ball down the field to him.

Zero complaints.

Yes.

Not sure how you make this determination when Sammy has been given approximately zero (perhaps fewer) opportunities to win jump balls by our illustrious QB group.

Yeah, I keep hearing about height being a requirement for being a #1 WR, explain Antonio Brown or Welker in his hayday. In fact Reggie Wayne, TY Hilton, Emmanuel Sanders etc are all great WR under 6 ft and Watkins is 6'2

He's 6'1" and his vertical was significantly less than Beckham's at the combine. No way anyone who objectively watches them both would argue Sammy can get as vertical and have the same body control of Beckham. Sammy's strength is simply that: upper body strength, but also that upper body bulk limits his vertical.

Won't go thru every guy on your list as many arent #1's. As one example welker isn't a #1, he always needs someone else to feed off and create openings, like moss and then gronk, so he can clean up on the underneath routes

Edited by JTSP

He's 6'1" and his vertical was significantly less than Beckham's at the combine. No way anyone who objectively watches them both would argue Sammy can get as vertical and have the same body control of Beckham. Sammy's strength is simply that: upper body strength.

Won't go thru every guy on your list as mant arent #1's. As one example welker isn't a #1, he always needs someone else to feed off and create openings, like moss and then gronk, so he can clean up on the underneath routes

Welker has also had the pleasure of receiving passes thrown by two of the best QBs in the history of the game. Can anyone imagine Sammy Watkins on a Brady/Manning-led team? Mind-blowing.

Welker has also had the pleasure of receiving passes thrown by two of the best QBs in the history of the game. Can anyone imagine Sammy Watkins on a Brady/Manning-led team? Mind-blowing.

I agree with you and guys like Brady and manning can make a #2 or #3 wr look like #1's. IMO Reggie Wayne for example is just an above guy but deemed nothing special with a fitz throwing to him.

My only complaint is he sometimes loses focus or half asses a catch. Other than that my complaints are with how we use him. Those plays where hogan is in motion behind the line before the snap and then thrown the ball in the flat would be perfect for sammy. But canthackit doesn't see it that way for whatever reason

I'd say right now he's a 7.

Could be as high as a 9. We'll see what he develops into.

I agree w this......he has high potential.....the 9 rating, but has delivered about a 7 this year. OK, he is a rookie...but, he isn't the guy that is going to save EJ's career.

My only complaint is he sometimes loses focus or half asses a catch. Other than that my complaints are with how we use him. Those plays where hogan is in motion behind the line before the snap and then thrown the ball in the flat would be perfect for sammy. But canthackit doesn't see it that way for whatever reason

But has really shown that he's a great YAC guy in traffic. IMO no when run reverses to him. I never really liked the idea of using him that way, rather not see him take the punishment for not much upside

I'd give him a 7 right now as well, but like others, I do believe he can be a future all-pro, maybe as soon as next year.

I was pretty high on him after the Jets game, but then he completely disappeared for the entire month of November, to the detriment of this team's playoff chances. Much of this has to do with scheme, as Hackett hasn't done enough to get the ball in the hands of this team's play makers, especially with liabilities along the OLine, there were several missed opportunities to throw quick screens to Sammy, and let his YAC take over and keep D's honest.

Reality check said it best. I feel good about Sammy's future. He will have a great career. The pressure of performing at a high level quickly is intense. I also feel EJ needs time. I came from the era that a QB never carried anything heavier than a clipboard until somewhere during the 3rd year.

Unimpressed and not worth a damn first in 2015.

I always ask this question when the above comment is made, so please don't feel as though I'm picking on you: what player in the 2015 first round--at approximately the 17th pick (where Buffalo would be picking if the season ended today)--are you upset about missing out on?

While we're at it, what about Sammy has been unimpressive to you?

Jones had 54-958-8 as a rookie.

Bryant had 45-561-6 as a rookie.

I believe Sammy was a year younger than those guys, too. He's still 21.

He can leap.

I'd say right now he's a 7.

Could be as high as a 9. We'll see what he develops into.

Agreed. Only complaint is the # of drops but the sample size is still too small to be overly concerned about that.

Clearly he needs a better QB.

Sammy looks just like what they had been saying early on- A Julio Jones clone....

His skills more closely resemble Jones than any player I can think of.

Gonna end up at minimum our 2nd best WR ever on the Bills (if we keep him around) :)