Give us your overall impression of Sammy Watkins

HOUSE

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Watkins had a good QB throwing to him he'd be a lot more productive than he is right now (and that's darn productive).

Sammy has been targeted 110 times and has an embarrassing 58 catches on those targets. 58 receptions is really good for a rookie receiver, but Watkins, based on the amount of targets thrown his way, should have a lot more.

And only four drops on those 110 targets.

I swear, you'd think Watkins led the league in dropped passes from what I gather in this thread.

GO BILLS!!!

More like a strong #2, than a true #1.

Say that because a true #1 is "open when covered" like a Julio Jones or Dez Bryant. Sammy isn't as tall as those guys, and lacks the leaping ability to make up for it and win jump balls. Of the current crop I see Beckham and maybe Evans becoming true #1's.

How do you leap when most guys playing with his injuries probably wouldn't even be on the field? The kid's tremendously talented and gets open. If he becomes our #2, we're really in exceptional shape.

I would MUCH rather have Beckham Jr. and next year's #1 pick than Watkins and no #1

The offense would be just as good and this team might be able to get an elite guard, tackle, or TE next year in the draft. Maybe even QB (but probably not since they are not terrible in terms of w/l)

How about Ebron and next years #1? Or Gilbert and next years #1? Maybe Barr and next years #1? How about that?

How about Ebron and next years #1? Or Gilbert and next years #1? Maybe Barr and next years #1? How about that?

So your point is that they COULD have drafted someone who wouldn't be very good?

I'll tell you what: I have a house I am trying to sell. The market says it's worth about 100K. HOWEVER, I will sell YOU the house for 200K!

When you complain, I will simply say: "you could live in a shack down by the river! Just be quiet and enjoy your .... 200K house!"

So your point is that they COULD have drafted someone who wouldn't be very good?

I'll tell you what: I have a house I am trying to sell. The market says it's worth about 100K. HOWEVER, I will sell YOU the house for 200K!

When you complain, I will simply say: "you could live in a shack down by the river! Just be quiet and enjoy your .... 200K house!"

His point is that Buffalo has said publicly that they would've taken Ebron at No. 10. To compare the no-trade-up scenario to the trade-up scenario, the comparison is Ebron plus next year's #1 to Watkins and no #1 next year.

That analogy is comically bad.

His point is that Buffalo has said publicly that they would've taken Ebron at No. 10. To compare the no-trade-up scenario to the trade-up scenario, the comparison is Ebron plus next year's #1 to Watkins and no #1 next year.

My point is that basing arguments on hindsight after watching Beckham Jr. play 12 games is dishonest and ignores everything we know about the Bills draft board.

My impression is he's pretty darn good...Especially for a rookie...And if he was catching the ball from a legit top 10 QB he would be outstanding...He's not perfect...But I think a lot of his negative on-the-field issues are QB related...I think off the field he's as good as it gets...

All that being said I was not in favor of the trade then, and I have not changed my mind...I liked Evans more than Watkins...If only slightly...And even though I was not high on Beckham it's hard to argue that Beckham and the 2015 #1 would not be better than Watkins alone...

Nonetheless...I still think Watkins can be a legit star WR in this league...And he's ours now...So... :thumbsup:

I agree wholeheartedly with this.

I can recall the team being so high on Beckham, and no idea why they soured on him. As I've stated many times I would have been more then happy to draft OG Zack Martin, and the Bills would have finally had a solid run game. I can only wonder if this year is the precursor for many years of injuries.

Then I look at both Mike Evans, Kelvin Benjamin as beasts 6'5 230 lbs & 6'5 240 lbs

Mike-Evans-Block-GIF.gif

Is your house a consensus one of a kind house that only rarely becomes available and is thought to have the potential to double in value quickly while the same consensus finds all the other houses that, while they are nice houses, they need some work and will take longer to appreciate?

GO BILLS!!!

My point is that basing arguments on hindsight after watching Beckham Jr. play 12 games is dishonest and ignores everything we know about the Bills draft board.

It also ignores what we know about everybody else's board. You think the Giants wouldn't have taken Sammy over Beckham? No phuckin' way!

GO BILLS!!!

Sorry I misread it. I thought he listed Ebron, Barr, and Gilbert, which would suggest that he was just providing a few (less appealing) alternatives.

Also, is that supposed to make us feel better about Whaley? Without a trade up for Watkins he would have taken one of several mediocre talents instead, so we should be happy he spent double?

That's even worse.

The level of animosity toward people who point out the obvious just demonstrates how true it is. The Bills overpaid, plain and simple. It's hardly even debatable.

At least they nailed the second round pick....

Edited by TheFunPolice

Sorry I misread it. I thought he listed Ebron, Barr, and Gilbert, which would suggest that he was just providing a few (less appealing) alternatives.

Also, is that supposed to make us feel better about Whaley? Without a trade up for Watkins he would have taken one of several mediocre talents instead, so we should be happy he spent double?

That's even worse.

The level of animosity toward people who point out the obvious just demonstrates how true it is. The Bills overpaid, plain and simple. It's hardly even debatable.

At least they nailed the second round pick....

It's not supposed to make you feel anything...it's just intended to give you the appropriate platform for comparison.

How do you leap when most guys playing with his injuries probably wouldn't even be on the field? The kid's tremendously talented and gets open. If he becomes our #2, we're really in exceptional shape.

If Sammy is our #2 receiver, the GM should be fired for trading up to get him. If he is not a legit pro-bowl caliber receiver (like Megatron, Larry Fitzgerald, Julio Jones or Dez Bryant), picking him with the 4th overall pick is stupid (and trading a 2015 First along with the 2014 1st and a 4th rounder to acquire that #4 overall pick makes it even worse).

I expect more from Sammy and I believe he will deliver.