Bills to play Cleveland where ?

papazoid

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is very likely the ralph will not be ready for next sundays cleveland game

The Buffalo Bills Stadium Is Buried In 6 Feet Of Snow — And It Might Be Weeks Before They Can Play NFL Games There

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/buffalo-bills-stadium-buried-6-143453695.html

There is nothing we don't already know in this story. In fact it's the writer making the leap that RWS won't be ready in time. I assume the warm weather will melt a lot of the snow this week.

It is my thought - hope - that the a Bills will do everything in their power to have the stadium in good enough shape to play the game next week if for no other reason that they are likely losing millions from this week's being moved as it is. If the forecast holds up they should be able to get it done with a ton of effort. It may not be pretty but it should get done.

they have drainage systems in place under the field

my neighborhood has drainage too - but it would be under water if I had that much snow

im not pretending to know the specifics of the drainage at the Ralph...i just know that that a stadium full of snow melting probably is a lot for any drainage system to handle

Edited by PaattMaann

Just mentioned in another thread ...but in his interview with Joe B last night, Russ seemed to be a little pissed that Shefter started this whole"might not be ready for Cleveland" nonsense.

Russ seemed pretty confident...as i am that game will be in the Ralph nest weekend.

Was supposed to be father -son weekend starting today, have just confirmed all my plans now for next week. Better be ready or i will be looking for new man parts as my wife will have them in a jar :nana:

Edited by plenzmd1

There is nothing we don't already know in this story. In fact it's the writer making the leap that RWS won't be ready in time. I assume the warm weather will melt a lot of the snow this week.

It may not be only this weekend's game that is affected by the storm. Brandon left open the possibility that The Ralph wouldn't be ready Nov. 30 when the Bills are scheduled to host the Cleveland Browns.

It's going to be a full-on effort by our stadium operations crew and everyone involved here at One Bills Drive to get the facility ready for next week, he said. There's an enormous amount of snow to be removed and there's a lot of work to be done.

It's also possible the Bills could be forced to move their entire operations next week to a facility where they could practice.

That's something that's also in play, Brandon said. Not only with preparation for this game and playing this game, but obviously what may be in play for next week. That could be a potential to go off site and practice somewhere if our facility is just not operational.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/nfl-bumps-bills-game-to-monday-night-in-detroit-20141120

Edited by papazoid

my neighborhood has drainage too - but it would be under water if I had that much snow

im not pretending to know the specifics of the drainage at the Ralph...i just know that that a stadium full of snow melting probably is a lot for any drainage system to handle

im pretty sure a 197 acre piece of land that has been built to withstand even the harshest of weather has a drainage system that is capable of handling a lot of snow and water. In fact, the drainage system was updated in the remodel just last year. So I guess well see how it all does.

6' of snow isn't going to melt in a week and once it starts, it's going to be even more difficult to shovel.

the Cleveland game will NOT be played at the ralph.

again, there will be no security and limited dump trucks to remove snow from the ralph until all streets have been cleared.

You cannot definitively say that. The team could round up all kinds of private assistance this coming week to get the stadium and lots cleared out enough to host a game. It does not have to be pristine conditions.

again, there will be no security and limited dump trucks to remove snow from the ralph until all streets have been cleared.

This may indeed prove to be the case, but it's too early to make that declaration. It'll certainly take a monumental effort to make RWS safe and ready for gameday on 11/30.

I would be willing to have a friendly wager on that..i believe it will 100% be played there. Just my gut.

Loser donates $50 to a charity that is helping folks that need it in the Southtowns?

im pretty sure a 197 acre piece of land that has been built to withstand even the harshest of weather has a drainage system that is capable of handling a lot of snow and water. In fact, the drainage system was updated in the remodel just last year. So I guess well see how it all does.

8 feet of snow in a quick melt plus rain is pretty much unprecedented as far as "harsh weather", so as you said, we'll see what happens.

You cannot definitively say that. The team could round up all kinds of private assistance this coming week to get the stadium and lots cleared out enough to host a game. It does not have to be pristine conditions.

No, but emergency services not being available would stop it as well. I'm sure the Bills will do all that they can, but I strongly believe alternate sites as backups are already being evaluated and lined up just in case. If getting the Ralph ready to host a game was a priority for the area I imagine they could make it happen. But it is not, in fact it is not even close.

Maybe i am missing something here.

The game is in 9 days(including today)

Seems to me they have unprecedented numbers/ pieces of equipment in place to do snow removal

The affected area is not the whole of WNY, it is just the snowbelt. Man, those people got killed, but not like other storms where the whole Metro is socked in and needs cleared.

More equipment/less ground to cover, but extreme amounts of snow

The weather is going to cooperate at least in the short term.

I guess i am lost how you think they will still be dealing with an emergency situation even next week (barring large problems from the melt)

To me, seems like the not only the Bills and the NFL, but Erie County and the whole Buffalo area is going to want this game in Buffalo...especially with all the folks home for Thanksgiving.

Maybe i am just way off

Edited by plenzmd1

Maybe i am missing something here.

The game is in 9 days(including today)

Seems to me they have unprecedented numbers/ pieces of equipment in place to do snow removal

The affected area is not the whole of WNY, it is just the snowbelt. Man, those people got killed, but not like other storms where the whole Metro is socked in and needs cleared.

More equipment/less ground to cover, but extreme amounts of snow

The weather is going to cooperate at least in the short term.

I guess i am lost how you think they will still be dealing with an emergency situation even next week (barring large problems from the melt)

To me, seems like the not only the Bills and the NFL, but Erie County and the whole Buffalo area is going to want this game in Buffalo...especially with all the folks home for Thanksgiving.

Maybe i am just way off

I do not think you are way off, I'm sure the Bills would love to host the game. I'm sure the county would as well. But there are going to be significant flooding issues associated with the melt. That is just an enormous amount of snow that should start melting quickly once the air temperature rises. And as it melts, the snow still left gets saturated with water and gets VERY heavy which will cause even more problems. Plus emergency services peeps have been busting their collective ass, and will continue to do so this week. Will the county force them to work something so unnecessary as a football game after all this? Still too early to tell how it will play out. I don't think it's a slam dunk either way at this point.

Edited by CodeMonkey

The Bills are responsible for snow removal and could hire dump trucks; the county wouldn't be involved at all.

Not living up there anymore, I am basing this opinion on the pictures, news reports, forecast, and resilience of WNYers: I don't believe that, from an emergency response standpoint, the county would have a reason to withhold sheriff's deputies from a Bills game nine days from now.

I don't want to issue any proclamations, but I will be very surprised if they don't play the browns at the RWS.

I do not think you are way off, I'm sure the Bills would love to host the game. I'm sure the county would as well. But there are going to be significant flooding issues associated with the melt. That is just an enormous amount of snow that should start melting quickly once the air temperature rises. Plus emergency services peeps have been busting their collective ass, and will continue to do so this week. Will the county force them to work something so unnecessary as a football game after all this? Still too early to tell how it will play out. I don't think it's a slam dunk either way at this point.

Great points on the emergency workers...those folks have got to be just exhausted and in need of a weeks sleep at this point.

Or as CBF would say....just 7 more sleeps :nana:

It is my thought - hope - that the a Bills will do everything in their power to have the stadium in good enough shape to play the game next week if for no other reason that they are likely losing millions from this week's being moved as it is. If the forecast holds up they should be able to get it done with a ton of effort. It may not be pretty but it should get done.

Unless of course Bulldog on WGR finds a way to tie the Bills shoveling out their stadium as somehow taking away resources from poor elderly people snowed in their homes.

it's going to be 40 degrees tomorrow and 60 by tuesday. snow melts

And in the low 30s/High 20s for the rest of the week.

You've mentioned that "snow melts" in multiple threads now. Do you think you're the only one who knows that? Again, this is 440 MILLION POUNDS of snow. One 55 degree day won't melt that. In fact, If it did, they'd be straight !@#$ed. Worse, some of it WILL melt. Then, and buckle your seatbelt because this is some real life !@#$ing science headed your way, it will freeze again, on top of the remaining 3-4 feet.

This isn't your standard snow storm. And it's not goin to be spring next week. One day, with a high of 55 (meaning it will likely be over 50 for 4 hours max) is likely the worst thing that can happen right now.

If they don't remove the snow, it will become a 3 foot layer of snow with three inches of solid ice on top.

But please keep posting how "it will just melt."

And in the low 30s/High 20s for the rest of the week.

You've mentioned that "snow melts" in multiple threads now. Do you think you're the only one who knows that? Again, this is 440 MILLION POUNDS of snow. One 55 degree day won't melt that. In fact, If it did, they'd be straight !@#$ed. Worse, some of it WILL melt. Then, and buckle your seatbelt because this is some real life !@#$ing science headed your way, it will freeze again, on top of the remaining 3-4 feet.

This isn't your standard snow storm. And it's not goin to be spring next week. One day, with a high of 55 (meaning it will likely be over 50 for 4 hours max) is likely the worst thing that can happen right now.

If they don't remove the snow, it will become a 3 foot layer of snow with three inches of solid ice on top.

But please keep posting how "it will just melt."

I did? Link me. I only posted it once. But apparently you are the forum police so I'm sorry if you think I posted it in multiple threads but you are mistaken. And this is Buffalo, we are used to snow storms. Everything will be back to normal by Tuesday. To think next week's game won't happen is hard to believe

Edited by kdiggz

I did? Link me. I only posted it once. But apparently you are the forum police so I'm sorry if you think I posted it in multiple threads but you are mistaken. And this is Buffalo, we are used to snow storms. Everything will be back to normal by Tuesday. To think next week's game won't happen is hard to believe

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/173418-how-much-of-a-hometown-crowd-can-we-expect-in-the-motor-city/

Pittsburgh's Snow Dragon headed to Buffalo to help after massive snowfall:

http://www.wtae.com/...4#ixzz3JjNCJrlN

The truck is made to convert 20 to 25 dump truckloads of snow into water that is then filtered and released into a catch basin, said Chuck Lantzman, owner of the North Side-based Snow and Ice Management Company.

"To get started, we put 1,500 gallons of water," said Lantzman.

He said a burner then heats the water to 140 degrees before it is released.

8 feet of snow in a quick melt plus rain is pretty much unprecedented as far as "harsh weather", so as you said, we'll see what happens.

Not really. Happens in Alaska every year. Snow up here doesn't melt for months because the temps never get above freezing. It just keeps piling up. The snow removal snow gets piled into mountains that last into July.