Chris Williams to IR

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if we won't start seeing more and more linemen get signed to big dollars and then seem to lose their edge as we learn more and more about CTE and former players suffering from dementia. I don't doubt he hurt his back, but I do doubt his commitment.

GO BILLS!!!

I wonder if we won't start seeing more and more linemen get signed to big dollars and then seem to lose their edge as we learn more and more about CTE and former players suffering from dementia. I don't doubt he hurt his back, but I do doubt his commitment.

GO BILLS!!!

What? How can you say that? If he hurt his back as a 300 pound man he's going to have a tough time getting back

Ridiculous to question his commitment based on nothing

This signing was a train wreck from day 1. Even when healthy he is a below average guard.

Don't get me wrong, in the end it didn't cost much to give it a try.

This was far from a Derrick Dockery situation.

But the signing did virtual nothing for this team in need of better guard play.

What? How can you say that? If he hurt his back as a 300 pound man he's going to have a tough time getting back

Ridiculous to question his commitment based on nothing

I questioned his commitment going back to his rookie year with Chicago. And that's not an attack on his character. Some guys, big lineman mostly, seem to lose the fire once they get paid. And I think we'll see more of that as the issue of brain damage keeps coming to the fore, especially among lineman.

I can see why that seems ridiculous and again, I'm not attacking Williams' character, I just don't think he's committed to the game long-term.

GO BILLS!!!

Wasn't he just signed for lime 1.25 million? Not at all a "disaster", that's the going rate for a backup interior lineman, any maybe Marrone thought he could find something in him. It's happened before and worked out, Whaley has a good eye for picking up vets who produce.

Oh wait, sorry. Woe is me... The front office sucks... Coaches suck... Terry Pegula should have never been approved...

Sure would like to see them make a trade for a OG.......

It isnt so much losing Williams and replacing him with Richardson......which I think will end up being a mainstay qualtiy starter with time......

Its that now we have Pears on the other side and no options.....we need a starter there

Starter no, but we do still have urbik. But I doubt he will play since marrone doesn't like him.

The 4 Million is gone. Now Chris Williams is signed for peanuts for the next 3 years.

He is not a complete turnstile he a serviceable depth player of Healthy. If he had a good work ethic and was a good leader to the young kids then you bring him back. Otherwise you cut him and only 2 Mil on dead money.

If anything it gave the coaches 3 extra weeks to get Cyril Richardson up to speed. Who in despite of popular opinion is holding his own on most plays.

Especially considering he just played probably the 2 best defensive lineman in the NFL in back to back weeks.

Wasn't he just signed for lime 1.25 million? Not at all a "disaster", that's the going rate for a backup interior lineman, any maybe Marrone thought he could find something in him. It's happened before and worked out, Whaley has a good eye for picking up vets who produce.

Oh wait, sorry. Woe is me... The front office sucks... Coaches suck... Terry Pegula should have never been approved...

Don't know how much was guaranteed but he signed for 4 years and 13.5 mil

It was a similar signing to Rivers getting a player who has been around with some success in the league at a reasonable price

Edited by Max997

Even the casuals knew this was a horrible signing when it happened.

Which shouldn't mean anything. Unless you watched him play guard at St. Louis, then the only thing "casuals" have to go by is PFF which is far from perfect. Not a good start, but way to early to call a horrible signing especially with his cap hit the next 3 years.

Yeesh... We have to be looking for OG in round 2 next year. Hope Orton works out so we don't have to go QB.

Orton should not, by any means, stop the FO from drafting a QB at the top of the draft.

Well that was a disaster of a signing.

Agreed. A mercy removal.

This was a huge mistake from the get go. The guy graded an astoundingly bad (-21.4) at St Louis, and was their worst linemen. He was graded as that lines biggest liability in 2013. Why he was signed in the first place was beyond me, as even Legursky never, ever graded that bad. To put it in perspective that is Colin Brown bad territory.

Up till the Detroit game RG Erik Pears has graded a (-12.4) in the run game, and his pass block efficiency was ranked 63 out of 69 OG's, and to be honest I can't figure which 6 were playing worse then him. I'd say Williams, Richardson, Urbik are probably 3 of those.

Now at LG Cyril Richardson graded (-10.7) , and then considering he was playing against Suh, Fairley he really didn't do to badly. Currently the Buffalo Bills grade as the worst offensive line in the NFL, and are fielding rookies at RT & LG. Sill there is no reason why they continue to play Pears at RG. He is grading as the very worst OG in the NFL, and he is better then Williams....

Just some food for thought here. In 2012 Andy Levitre graded a (+17.3), and graded as the best pass blocking player on that line. So, the Bills let one of their best O lineman leave, and continue to try and replace him with utter garbage.

I don't get it.

Agreed. A mercy removal.

This was a huge mistake from the get go. The guy graded an astoundingly bad (-21.4) at St Louis, and was their worst linemen. He was graded as that lines biggest liability in 2013. Why he was signed in the first place was beyond me, as even Legursky never, ever graded that bad. To put it in perspective that is Colin Brown bad territory.

Up till the Detroit game RG Erik Pears has graded a (-12.4) in the run game, and his pass block efficiency was ranked 63 out of 69 OG's, and to be honest I can't figure which 6 were playing worse then him. I'd say Williams, Richardson, Urbik are probably 3 of those.

Now at LG Cyril Richardson graded (-10.7) , and then considering he was playing against Suh, Fairley he really didn't do to badly. Currently the Buffalo Bills grade as the worst offensive line in the NFL, and are fielding rookies at RT & LG. Sill there is no reason why they continue to play Pears at RG. He is grading as the very worst OG in the NFL, and he is better then Williams....

Just some food for thought here. In 2012 Andy Levitre graded a (+17.3), and graded as the best pass blocking player on that line. So, the Bills let one of their best O lineman leave, and continue to try and replace him with utter garbage.

I don't get it.

Don't take PFF as such a bible. What is there not to get? Levitre is making 8.6 million (!) this year and reports out of TENN is that he's been close to getting benched.

This signing was a lower investment, "hope we are getting this talented, once 1st round pick on upswing of career". Certainly a calculated risk. But please stop only using PFF as the only evidence for games you've never watched.

All the casuals knew was his PFF rating.

its not just PFF, Football outsiders. or just browse the internet.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=nfl+offensive+line+rankings+for+2014

"And then there is Chris Williams, the Ted McGinley of offensive linemen. The Bears, at their wishful-thinking worst, slid Williams from top left tackle prospect to right tackle to guard to backup center to Mike Tice golf caddie. The Rams then acquired Williams to ensure that Sam Bradford did not get any funny ideas about getting comfortable in the pocket. If you are planning to start Chris Williams, you need to do some better planning. The Bills have rookie Cyril Richardson in the fold, but the name "Chris Williams" atop a depth chart is reason enough to keep an offensive line near the bottom of any list."

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/77779304/nfl-best-worst-offensive-lines-dallas-cowboys-new-england-patriots-baltimore-ravens

Don't take PFF as such a bible. What is there not to get? Levitre is making 8.6 million (!) this year and reports out of TENN is that he's been close to getting benched.

This signing was a lower investment, "hope we are getting this talented, once 1st round pick on upswing of career". Certainly a calculated risk. But please stop only using PFF as the only evidence for games you've never watched.

Hey Mr 10 posts, many top NFL websites often refer to PFF as their bible, and they are a reliable source for getting it right.

What reports about Levitre, got a link to backup what you say?

Doug Legursky also graded as the Steelers worst O lineman when he was signed as a backup center, and he turned out to be just as bad as his grade stated he was. PFF also graded Cordy Glenn (+23.0) in 2013, were they wrong?

Agreed. A mercy removal.

I don't get it.

Let's go down the checklist.

PFF stats only? Check. No mention of Levitre being graded awful now? Check. No mention of Levitre being one of the worst run-block guards in the NFL? Check.

Levitre is a half guard FTL. You need to stop bringing him up, he wasn't "one of our best linemen." The 2012 offensive line "grades" at PFF were completely inflated by our spread system with Chan, and our quick-and-short pass game. Notice how Levitre sucks now?

GO BILLS!!!

?

he has shown me little . But why this ^ comment ?