Ralph' Foundation, Buffalo News reporting

HOF4LOU

I'm proud to be able to say my team was owned by a man like Ralph Wilson. The world, and the NFL in particular, need more people like him. His legacy is one of great kindness, generosity and wisdom.

I hope you can say that on Monday!

Actually, this is big picture stuff and I couldn't be more excited about the future.

Monday is usually my best effort in regard to the Bills . Sunday evening is recovery time . I have been taking naps ( love these 1 oclock games } BTW i am old enough and deserve those naps. Dammit.

it is big picture stuff for sure

If they build a new stadium, it better damn well be named after him.

Ya think ?

Money dedicated to both Detroit and Buffalo...

It would be classy, and we'll deserved, for the Detroit Lions / Ciy of Detroit to pay respects with a small tribute to Ralph tomorrow. It can't be much, due to the short notice, but a recorded message of thanks and brotherhood would be nice.

Well done Ralph! Well done!

Edited by THE KIKO MONSTER

I'm stunned, absolutely stunned, that the national sports media, like PFT, SI and ESPN, don't seem to be picking up on this story at all--mind boggling considering all the negative stories lately. What is it? Are Kraft, Jones, Snyder and company scared that this will set an expectation precedent?

I'm stunned, absolutely stunned, that the national sports media, like PFT, SI and ESPN, don't seem to be picking up on this story at all--mind boggling considering all the negative stories lately. What is it? Are Kraft, Jones, Snyder and company scared that this will set an expectation precedent?

thats most likely exactly what it is.

NFL owners don't control the media.

I'm proud to be able to say my team was owned by a man like Ralph Wilson. The world, and the NFL in particular, need more people like him. His legacy is one of great kindness, generosity and wisdom.

And if you were someone deriding Wilson for being cheap think really carefully about the provisions he chose to put into the trust and his will.

Folks should be ashamed.

When I saw that headline this morning, it made me pause and have second thoughts about some of the Ralph-bashing that I participated in. Thank you, Ralph.

Thank you.

I dare anyone to turn this story into their usual negative diatribe against the Bills former owner.

Why is Schumer quoted in this article? What's he got to do with anything? It's like he has someone on his payroll at BN to get his name attached to any positive story/

They asked him a question, he answered it. He was actively involved in keeping the Bills in Buffalo. If you want to question his motives do it elsewhere.

NFL owners don't control the media.

Perhaps not, but the League certainly has (a) friends in the media--many, many of them and (b) press agents whose job it is to get things in the press. Between the two, this would be very easy to get in the national media if they wanted it to be. With all the negativity around the League and this being such a great feel good, positive story I'm stunned that no one nationally is covering it.

Perhaps not, but the League certainly has (a) friends in the media--many, many of them and (b) press agents whose job it is to get things in the press. Between the two, this would be very easy to get in the national media if they wanted it to be. With all the negativity around the League and this being such a great feel good, positive story I'm stunned that no one nationally is covering it.

Me too. It is definitely a story worth sharing. IDK why it hasn't yet, but I seriously doubt that the other owners are stifling it. Seems that most of them are charitable to some extent and I don't think they would turn down any Positive publicity right now.

Blame the media, not the owners. We all know that dirty laundry sells better than altruism (Did I get that word right? Lol)

GO BILLS! SLAY THE LIONS!

Edited by THE KIKO MONSTER

Me too. It is definitely a story worth sharing. IDK why it hasn't yet, but I seriously doubt that the other owners are stifling it. Seems that most of them are charitable to some extent and I don't think they would turn down any Positive publicity right now.

Blame the media, not the owners. We all know that dirty laundry sells better than altruism (Did I get that word right? Lol)

GO BILLS! SLAY THE LIONS!

I just sent Mike Florio at PFT a note on this--we'll see if he writes anything on it

And if you were someone deriding Wilson for being cheap think really carefully about the provisions he chose to put into the trust and his will.

Folks should be ashamed.

Has there been any information leaked about provisions in the will that prevented the team from being sold to a buyer that would move the team?

I believe it was the lease and non-relocation agreement that made such a sale pretty difficult. The NFL would not accept a lame duck franchise, and the trust would not want to select a buyer which would likely result in litigation.

Why is Schumer quoted in this article? What's he got to do with anything? It's like he has someone on his payroll at BN to get his name attached to any positive story/

Schumer is always in front of a mic or TV

I know at Buffalo Children's hospital there is a dedication plaque for RW that I saw, and the same at the Hospice facility in Cheektowaga when my mother was there in 2007, a wing dedicated from RW

Edited by MarkyMannn

Has there been any information leaked about provisions in the will that prevented the team from being sold to a buyer that would move the team?

I believe it was the lease and non-relocation agreement that made such a sale pretty difficult. The NFL would not accept a lame duck franchise, and the trust would not want to select a buyer which would likely result in litigation.

I would like to know this, too.

There really aren't words to say how great it is what Ralph did in his end of life planning.

is this not the best news or icing on the the icing on the cake for Ralph's legacy. possibly half of the value of our Bills to be invested in our community. they truly are our Bills. I'm sure that makes Pegula feel like he got the Bills with much of his money going into our schools and hospitals! wow....Buffalo is back

What a good old man. Wait....Ralph is cheap.

Edited by DirtDart

Ralph Wilson continues to surprise...for those who have bad things to say about the man, you should be ashamed of yourself. This man has taken honor, loyalty and extreme generosity to the next level. He has shown a tremendous love for the city of Buffalo that might be unmatched.

We were all worried about the Bills leaving, well...not only did he have a carefully constructed plan in place to prevent that, he also turned around and instructed that most of the money from the sale of the team be put into the Ralph Wilson Foundation which then must be donated to organizations and charities in Buffalo and Detroit only. One his home town, the other his adopted city he loved til the day he died.

He had no need to do this. He could have taken the money from the sale and passed it to his family and we would all have been happy that he worked do hard to keep the Bills in Buffalo behind the scenes. But that wasn't enough for him. He didn't do all of this for notoriety, just like many of the stories that have come out about his silent gifts of generosity that he didn't want anyone to know about.

God bless you Mr Wilson. There are so few men like you, I don't think many could have imagined just how honorable, loyal and generous you could be to the places you loved. I have a new found respect for him and if I could be half the man he was, I would be thrilled.

Anyone who has something bad to say about this man after the last few months should be banned from posting on this board. I don't say that lightly but the extraordinary lengths Mr. Wilson went to not only keep the team here but also give a tremendous amount of money back to the city when he had no need to makes it justified.

My problem wasn't with Ralph Wilson, it was with the organization he set up to run the Bills. The worst part was the penny pinchers who prevented the Bills from spending what was available under the cap to build depth in the roster. Jeff Littman, glad to see you leaving. Also bad was Ralph's poor personnel hiring practices and then his demolition of the effective management team he had that built the SB teams. For many years in the 60s and 70s, the Bills front offices were terrible. Lousy drafting, bad coaches. We got lucky with Polian, Butler, and Smith. And then Ralph drove them all away, leading to another decade plus of lousy teams.

Ralph was a generous man who cared about his players. There were stories about how he helped injured players get on with their lives after leaving the game. He was just not an effective owner when it came to building a strong competitive team and maintaining that level.

My problem wasn't with Ralph Wilson, it was with the organization he set up to run the Bills. The worst part was the penny pinchers who prevented the Bills from spending what was available under the cap to build depth in the roster. Jeff Littman, glad to see you leaving. Also bad was Ralph's poor personnel hiring practices and then his demolition of the effective management team he had that built the SB teams. For many years in the 60s and 70s, the Bills front offices were terrible. Lousy drafting, bad coaches. We got lucky with Polian, Butler, and Smith. And then Ralph drove them all away, leading to another decade plus of lousy teams.

Ralph was a generous man who cared about his players. There were stories about how he helped injured players get on with their lives after leaving the game. He was just not an effective owner when it came to building a strong competitive team and maintaining that level.

So those are lucky hires while the others ones were bad hires? How about the other ones were unlucky hires and those were great hires? Also, didn't Butler leave our team in a terrible cap situation which directly led to the beginning of our downfall?

Edited by Mark80

This community and these fans were blessed the day he came and set up shop in Buffalo. His plan to keep the Bills here was brilliant and his generosity is humbling. My dad's generation, my generation, our kids generation all benefited from the gift of the team and now future generations - football fans and non-football fans in Buffalo, will continue to benefit from his fortune. Thank you Ralph.