Colinsworth on Orton

AllDayADay

N=I normally do not like this guy, but Cris Colinsworth was on the DP show and said he was really impressed by Kyle Orton last year in Dallas. He is not like a normal back-up and has a great feel for the game. Thought it was worth mentioning.

I think he has a better arm than a lot of people realize, maybe not early on in his career, but it has gotten stronger.

Heres to a productive week 5...

http://youtu.be/vEMiGP4fBXA

NBC’s Cris Collinsworth joined the show to talk about the Patriots’ struggles and all the big storylines around the League.

Collinsworth said the Patriots struggling and it starts up front. “They have to get their offensive line settled,” Collinsworth said.

Collinsworth said, however, they still are the favorites in the AFC East. Collinsworth noted they have several good defensive players. And Collinsworth thinks that the weapons aren’t bad.

Collinsworth said they also need to have the real Rob Gronkowski back.

Collinsworth also weighed in on the Bills and said that if Doug Marrone wants to put all his chips in this year, then going to Kyle Orton is the right move.

And Collinsworth weighed in on the Washington Redskins name. He’d prefere to see the nickname go away. He’d prefer to see it done within the League, not by the government.

I don't understand the rub on Colinsworth.

I liked him before these comments, and quite frankly, he's usually pretty spot-on in his analyses. Here's hoping that trend continues!

I think he just comes off as arrogant and a know-it-all. But he does know his stuff and there are many worse than he out there!

I think the Bills agree that Orton is 'not like a normal back-up' with the contract they handed him...

I liked him before these comments, and quite frankly, he's usually pretty spot-on in his analyses. Here's hoping that trend continues!

Best announcer in the game today easily, if not ever. Madden was good but he was also a blowhard pushing the big-market agenda

I'm with you. Sometimes his over the top adulation for some players is grating, but he provides analysis of the game at a depth Others don't.

I am not sure why, perhaps he's just better at paraphrasing football concepts to laymens terms on the fly?

I mean all these former pro players understand this stuff id think.

I think the Bills agree that Orton is 'not like a normal back-up' with the contract they handed him...

Unfortunately the Bills haven't exactly been on point with their QB personnel moves, back-up or otherwise. I was pulling for EJ but I'm happy for the change. We haven't had a QB controversy in a while...

26CornerBlitz, thanks for posting. CC had an interesting POV:

"In Buffalo, they have no choice."

"Kyle Orton has a real feel for the game."

"Reads defenses well"

"Classic delivery"

"If I had to go all my chips to the table this year... I think I agree with Kyle Orton."

26CornerBlitz, thanks for posting. CC had an interesting POV:

"In Buffalo, they have no choice."

"Kyle Orton has a real feel for the game."

"Reads defenses well"

"Classic delivery"

"If I had to go all my chips to the table this year... I think I agree with Kyle Orton."

First of all, Collinsworth is really good. He is a better passer than EJ at this point in his career. No doubt. But he's also a guy who threw 9 tds and 13 ints his first 15 games, much worse than EJ's first 14 games. He grew as a player. I wanted the opportunity for EJ to grow. I think you learn best by playing.

But it is what it is. It's an all or nothing move for Marrone. Hopefully, it works.

First of all, Collinsworth is really good. He is a better passer than EJ at this point in his career. No doubt. But he's also a guy who threw 9 tds and 13 ints his first 15 games, much worse than EJ's first 14 games. He grew as a player. I wanted the opportunity for EJ to grow. I think you learn best by playing.

But it is what it is. It's an all or nothing move for Marrone. Hopefully, it works.

Rookie stats mean nothing, as Orton is still in the league after 10 years and EJ will be lucky to see 4 years. EJ has too many deficiencies to be a successful QB. All these other QBs who keep getting brought up as (not as good as EJ in their rookie year) obviously didn't have as many issues as EJ and are still playing. The guys that had lots of issues like EJ are long gone after a couple years.

Rookie stats mean nothing, as Orton is still in the league after 10 years and EJ will be lucky to see 4 years. EJ has too many deficiencies to be a successful QB. All these other QBs who keep getting brought up as (not as good as EJ in their rookie year) obviously didn't have as many issues as EJ and are still playing. The guys that had lots of issues like EJ are long gone after a couple years.

So even though EJ as far superior stats through the same amount of games, he will be out of the league while Orton was able to play for 10 years? How does that make sense? Only Kyle Orton can improve?

Not only that, but winning football games wasn't an issue for the '05 Bears. I know they dropped 3 out of their first 4 (they were stuck with Orton), but then won 8 straight. They won 11 games did they not? Same formula we need. Pound the ball and play excellent defense.

Orton had major deficiencies it's true, but he seemed to have a leadership quality that seems to be currently lacking with EJ.

Then again, he was benched after an 11-5 season and played sparingly for 2 years. Then went on to have a couple decent seasons stats wise. It has to be recognized that EJ has at least a chance to improve.

Edited by SmokinES3

So even though EJ as far superior stats through the same amount of games, he will be out of the league while Orton was able to play for 10 years? How does that make sense? Only Kyle Orton can improve?

There are definitely some posters on this board that think so. Not saying EJ will be a 10 year vet, but to say he absolutely won't because he sucks right now is sill silly, IMO...

I think people are turned off by the sound of Collinsworth's voice and just go from there to find other things to not like about him. I think he's good.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

Not only that, but winning football games wasn't an issue for the '05 Bears. I know they dropped 3 out of their first 4 (they were stuck with Orton), but then won 8 straight. They won 11 games did they not? Same formula we need. Pound the ball and play excellent defense. Orton had major deficiencies it's true, but he seemed to have a leadership quality that seems to be currently lacking with EJ.

Then again, he was benched after an 11-5 season and played sparingly for 2 years. Then went on to have a couple decent seasons stats wise. It has to be recognized that EJ has at least a chance to improve.

Orton played under QB guru Lovie Smith in Chicago and then for the sweat-pants-clad, Tebow-drafting McDaniels in Denver just before McDaniels limped back to Bellichick with his tail between his legs.

Take a look at how Cutler soared once Lovie left and took a look at what's happening in Hotlanta right now with Hester to learn just how little we can glean from Orton's early years under Ssmith.

As for his time in Denver, that was a pretty bad team. Lest we forget, their inability to stop anything on defense led them to select renowned Prussian General Von Miller one pick before we nabbed Dareus in 2011.

I honestly don't think we predict much about how Orton will do with Buffalo's talent given the teams/systems he's been under over his 10 year career.

Edited by The Big Cat

His veteran savvy can't be overstated. While I fully accept the fact he's gonna screw the pooch at times, even at critical junctures, I also think he doesn't overlook Sammy on that 3rd and 3 before the Watts pick 6, either. I also think Hackett's modified West Coast passing game and route structures will play to his strengths; he's accurate on intermediate routes and from what I've seen, Hackett's design usually has two targets running open on most downs.

GO BILLS!!!

I think Collinsworth is the best of the guys on the lead commentry teams from the different networks. He is miles better than listening to Troy Aikman.

Really? I like Collinsworth but Aikman's ability to break down what's happening on a play is better than any color guy out there. He is the best in the business.

Orton played under QB guru Lovie Smith in Chicago and then for the sweat-pants-clad, Tebow-drafting McDaniels in Denver just before McDaniels limped back to Bellichick with his tail between his legs.

Take a look at how Cutler soared once Lovie left and took a look at what's happening in Hotlanta right now with Hester to learn just how little we can glean from Orton's early years under Ssmith.

As for his time in Denver, that was a pretty bad team. Lest we forget, their inability to stop anything on defense led them to select renowned Prussian General Von Miller one pick before we nabbed Dareus in 2011.

I honestly don't think we predict much about how Orton will do with Buffalo's talent given the teams/systems he's been under over his 10 year career.

Absolutely. He has had a career full of unenviable positions. We can only hope that this level of talent can give him a shot he has yet to have, though as you say, we can't really predict how it will work. Far too many variables.

I for one am optimistic, though I realize that is mostly the "next guy" mentality we've become accustomed to as a fan.

Show me a QB that played more than 5 years that has had similar EJ issues.

how about me? I commented on this board in august before they even signed orton and said bills should pick up orton as he is best free agent available and then 2 weeks later they did. Where is my praise?

Edited by DougTheBug

Because sometimes he says things that are different from what I think and that means he sucks.

how about me? I commented on this board in august before they even signed orton and said bills should pick up orton as he is best free agent available and then 2 weeks later they did. Where is my praise?

I think anyone who didn't want to marry EJ was aware Orton was the best available option to improve the overall QB talent, if we could get lucky enough to get him.

Show me a QB that played more than 5 years that has had similar EJ issues.

Exactly.

The "issues" that Orton will have are the "issues" experienced by every quarterback not named Luck, Rodgers or Brees--those being a combination of imperfect arm strength, pocket presence, scrambling and accuracy.

The "issues" that were suffocating EJ's production are ones that end careers well before the 10 year mark.

I honestly don't know how anyone can argue to the contrary.

Good job.

I totally agree with you. He adds quite a bit to the game with his commentary. Most others do not.

It's a philosophical difference of opinion of where this team is at. I don't think this team is ready to compete for a title. Could Orton be better in the short term, sure but does anyone here really see him leading us to the super bowl?

Ej has looked dreadful at times and we are 2-2. Maybe he isn't the answer but pulling the plug on him now we will never know. Orton isn't long term, we have no #1 and now we have to start the whole thing over again searching for the next heir to Jim Kelly.

Marrone wants to win now and I get that but is Orton so much better than EJ that you bail now? I just didn't think so. Growing on the job in the nfl isn't easy. No excuses he has to get better but you can't from the sidelines. It feels like we wasted that pick now based on the fact so few of these guys ever make it back after they've been benched.

Bills fan so I'll root for Orton to be successful for as long as he's the starter, I just think they gave up too fast on a young Quarterback.

no one even mentioned his name but me. He wasn't on anyones radar. it's also easy to say that in hindsight

Maybe I can only speak for myself. That being said, I recall plenty of available QB's talk, but im not looking it up. So congrats on that good call.

It's a philosophical difference of opinion of where this team is at. I don't think this team is ready to compete for a title. Could Orton be better in the short term, sure but does anyone here really see him leading us to the super bowl?

Ej has looked dreadful at times and we are 2-2. Maybe he isn't the answer but pulling the plug on him now we will never know. Orton isn't long term, we have no #1 and now we have to start the whole thing over again searching for the next heir to Jim Kelly.

Marrone wants to win now and I get that but is Orton so much better than EJ that you bail now? I just didn't think so. Growing on the job in the nfl isn't easy. No excuses he has to get better but you can't from the sidelines. It feels like we wasted that pick now based on the fact so few of these guys ever make it back after they've been benched.

Bills fan so I'll root for Orton to be successful for as long as he's the starter, I just think they gave up too fast on a young Quarterback.

Do you consider 2 years "long term?"

Because at 31, I'm thinking that's how long Orton can/may stay at the healm.