EJ benched, Orton to start.

JÂy RÛßeÒ

Aging? He's 31! He only has 70 career starts.

Compare that to:

Brees: 35/189

Big Ben: 32/146

Brady: 37/194

Manning 1: 38/243

Manning 2: 33/155

Matt Ryan: 29/98

Cutler: 31/108

Romo: 34/140

Rodgers: 31/91

Rivers: 33/132

I saw someone say they'd rather we'd have gotten McCown. Well...

McCown: 35/41

Orton easily has four to five years left in him.

Easily.

Good point. Similar age and significantly less starts. I wonder why that is?

Look ... I know we all have EJ's blood in the water now and he needs to go. That's what we do. I'm not tying to argue for or against Orton... I'm suggesting that the QB position isn't our big problem on Offense.

I guess we'll find out Sunday when Orton runs the same plays and hits them all with success. Honestly, I hope he does because I want the Bills to win. But, I've seen this all before and I'm guessing we see more of the same.

Edited by Dan

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree... I think Losman got screwed here as well. And, unfortunately, history is repeating itself again.

But, I'm not sure Orton wins us that game yesterday. Maybe. But, we came out throwing the ball on a defense that had been doing pretty well against the pass and lousy agaisnt the run. That tells me our game plan was flawed from the opening whistle. Not to mention, they did almost nothing to negate one of the most dynamic players in the game. And our QB payed the price by getting hit on nearly every single pass attempt. Would Orton have handled the pressure in his face better? Maybe, but I'm not sure of that since I haven't seen him play a game in years.

I'm with you Dan! As far as I'm concerned that game was lost when we had a 10 pt lead late in the first half and the DEFENSE let Fitzpatrick drive his team down and score that TD.

This is a needed sign of sanity from the coaching staff. EJ is not ready now, and unfortunately may never be. Marrone needed to do this for the veterans on this team (and perhaps his job).

Just like Mularkey did

I understand it and I think its the right move but its a bad sign for EJ, Marrone and the whole coaching staff. This better work

I think Orton and our defense can get us a wild card. However, next year Sam Bradford is who we should be targeting.

We could always use another guy on IR

I'm with you Dan! As far as I'm concerned that game was lost when we had a 10 pt lead late in the first half and the DEFENSE let Fitzpatrick drive his team down and score that TD.

we lost 23-17 and the Qb threw a pick 6 so of course its the defenses fault for not holding them to 10 points on the road because obviously 16 points is not enough

I feel bad for EJ, most Bills fans were pulling for him. However, the NFL is a tough game & a tough business. This is the right move at the current time. EJ just has too many basic flaws in his game. Will he be salvageable for the future, we’ll have to wait & see.

Good point. Similar age and significantly less starts. I wonder why that is?

Look ... I know we all have EJ's blood in the water now and he needs to go. That's what we do. I'm not tying to argue for or against Orton... I'm suggesting that the QB position isn't our big problem on Offense.

I guess we'll find out Sunday when Orton runs the same plays and hits them all with success. Honestly, I hope he does because I want the Bills to win. But, I've seen this all before and I'm guessing we see more of the same.

The QB isn't our big problem on offense? What is? The RBs have been playing well, he's had protection, and the receivers are getting WIDE open.

It was a rough day for EJ today. I think that he has worked very hard and has been a role model off the field. I was very happy when the Bills drafted him, and like everyone had high hopes. Frankly, he just is not ready. I think the fact that he was injured twice last season made the coaches try to change his game. He was never a pocket passer and used his legs best. To try and make him a pocket passer for the first time while at the NFL level was impossible.

With that being said, the Bills had no choice. I hope all his work and mental strategy sessions with other qbs helped his mental toughness to endure this. If history is any indication, he will get another chance in Buffalo. He needs to continue to stay focused and work hard. I think the writing was on the wall when his teammates declined to elect him to captain. If they felt he was the guy, he would have gotten the designation. Sitting back and learning is his best chance right now.

His inaccuracy and misread percentage was way too high to be an effective qb at this time.

Best wishes EJ your chance will come and hopefully this experience will serve you well. You are still a Bill and we will pull for you. In the mean time go Kyle.

It was a rough day for EJ today. I think that he has worked very hard and has been a role model off the field. I was very happy when the Bills drafted him, and like everyone had high hopes. Frankly, he just is not ready. I think the fact that he was injured twice last season made the coaches try to change his game. He was never a pocket passer and used his legs best. To try and make him a pocket passer for the first time while at the NFL level was impossible.

With that being said, the Bills had no choice. I hope all his work and mental strategy sessions with other qbs helped his mental toughness to endure this. If history is any indication, he will get another chance in Buffalo. He needs to continue to stay focused and work hard. I think the writing was on the wall when his teammates declined to elect him to captain. If they felt he was the guy, he would have gotten the designation. Sitting back and learning is his best chance right now.

His inaccuracy and misread percentage was way too high to be an effective qb at this time.

Best wishes EJ your chance will come and hopefully this experience will serve you well. You are still a Bill and we will pull for you. In the mean time go Kyle.

Well said.

Most of us hoped, and hope still does exist, but it clearly was time.

With a competent QB we have a shot at the playoffs.

I said on the shoutbox earlier today that I would not be surprised if EJ Manuel was benched once Marrone looked back at the tape. It was awful. The rest of the offense and the OC, however, are getting a bit of a pass here. They have to show that it was on EJ now... because if they continue to perform as they did yesterday then we are back in the Jauron era.... a halfway decent defense (I think this defense is better than halfway decent actually) but an anaemic offense.

EDIT: Should say I have been and remain an EJ fan. He is clearly a hell of a kid, but after a promising opening two games this season he has played two absolute stinkers back to back and basically yesterday helped blow a game this team should be winning. I still maintain if I had to take a QB out of that class EJ was the one I'd have taken. Geno's temperament will never allow him to be a great QB in this league and Glennon whilst a slightly more polished passer at this stage has a lower ceiling. There was no sure fire hit in that draft so you roll with the guy who has the temperament and has huge upside in his game. It, for now, hasn't worked out. That is probably EJ's shot as an NFL starter done. I feel for him tonight, but I think this is the right move for this football team.

Edited by GunnerBill

Some interesting facts from that game:

Dallas had the "league's worst defense"

Dallas got 56 rushing yards

Orton had 2 days to prepare after Romo's back surgery

Orton was 30 for 46, 356 yards, 2 TDs and 2 INTs.

After watching that game I was impressed, but a little worried about the INTs. Then I checked and he's 15th all-time at avoiding them http://www.pro-footb...perc_career.htm

Its on like a mofo :D

Edited by Just Nguyen

You're kinda like the Tim Graham of Bills fans.

How excited will you be if Orton fails?

Nothing like Tim Graham. I am tired of this team playing QB carousel. Is this how we develop young talent? Orton is not going to propel us into the playoffs. Yes, I am an EJ supporter and I don't apologize for that. What I feel should be done is let him play the year out. If he is not the answer, draft another, or go after a big name during free agency. What's another year without making the postseason? The coach/QB carousel is a big reason for our lack of success.

Here is a novel idea. Build an offensive line that can protect the QB. Wasn't Marone an offensive lineman? This is the line he assembled. Wait until Orton is running for his life.

Edited by DirtDart

If you look at Orton's full seasons where he had training camp, and prep time, he performed well with inferior teams.

You can't compare when he was a back up and did not have the time like a starter. He'll be an improvement, but not saying is the savior.

The defense, running game, o-line need to perform, but with all of those highlights can turn us into a decent team. I don't have high hopes for Detroit, but hopefully NE is our start.

Doug Marrone, whose job is on the line, has decided to start a QB that had to be coaxed out of retirement with a Brink's truck about a month ago, a QB whom Marrone was so against signing that he went ballistic on his GM in front of his players.

Yep, we're 25% of the way through another Bills season.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Doug Marrone, whose job is on the line, has decided to start a QB that had to be coaxed out of retirement with a Brink's truck about a month ago, a QB whom Marrone was so against signing that he went ballistic on his GM in front of his players.

Was there any confirmation for that being the cause rather than something Florio pulled out of his butt? It struck me as implausible at the time, and even more so now.

I'm just curious, mayeb I missed it, but was that the arguement back before the season? That Marrone didn't want Orton (I don't recall)? Because now, he's saying it was his decision to bench EJ for Orton (he made the decisison and told Whaley about it).

So, that all kinda doesn't add up.

That was my point. Then what? Another, coach new staff with new schemes. What a mess. Pulling the plug after four games was knee jerk.

I'm just curious, mayeb I missed it, but was that the arguement back before the season? That Marrone didn't want Orton (I don't recall)? Because now, he's saying it was his decision to bench EJ for Orton (he made the decisison and told Whaley about it).

So, that all kinda doesn't add up.

Maybe this is linked to the explosion on the practice field. When Marone found out they signed Orton, he went ballistic.

I don't think that is why Marrone went ballistic. I think he was upset about the play of his then backups.

Maybe this is linked to the explosion on the practice field. When Marone found out they signed Orton, he went ballistic.

Yeah, I remember all the talk about him going ballistic about the time Orton was brought in. And the specualtion it was about the QBs. But, I don't recall that it was confirmed that Marrone DIDN'T want Orton. Because, if that's the case, then he's either had a big change of heart now or he's lieing about it being his decision to bench EJ.

With all the weapons on this team, there's no reason why a QB can't throw for 300+ yards a game and score at least 20-25 points. Manuel was so bad with his inaccuracy and his decisions that he was hurting the Bills.

Yes, the Bills team is so talented any QB should be able to do what no QB has ever done.

I've been a EJ supporter - at least a cautiously optimistic one - all along. But he was flat our horrible yesterday.

If you had to blame one player for Texans the loss, it would have to be him, hands down.

I was actually thinking of kayaking next weekend or something less painful than watching the Bills. But, with Orton under center, I'll be joining my fellow Bills Backers in Seattle after all.

Orton's now had enough time now to learn the offense and will give us a better chance to win.

Hopefully EJ learns while riding the pine, a la Aaron Rodgers.

How to waste a QB in under a season for dummies:

1. Draft QB with loads of potential that needs work for a year.

2. Start him straight away.

3. Make him run so he gets injured.

4. Make him run again after he returns so he can reinjury himself.

5. Have him do offseason surgery.

6. Claim you are all in to win.

7. Bench your rookie QB after 4 games in the second season for a career total of 14 games.

All we can do at this point is HOPE that Orton can be a competent game managing QB (and that the rest of the team is as good as most of us think it is). This coming game would be a tough one for any QB, much less one who has never started for his team, so I'm not expecting miracles on Sunday. As someone else said the Patriots and Jets games will be more telling. Too bad, I liked EJ and really wanted him to be successful. If Orton sucks after 3 games (or gets injured) we might yet see him again. For now, despite many saying it is unlikely - let's hope Orton can ride a reborn Buffalo beast to some wins!