Reason why this is a tough loss

BillsFan130

Chances are new England and Denver are going to win there divisions. Bills if they want to be serious about making the playoffs have to win games like this against san diego because the chargers most likely will be right in the wild card hunt and they officially have the tie breaker on us. Got a bad feeling this is going to come back to haunt us but I hope im wrong

I have a feeling it isn't going to matter. This team is still soft. They are weak mentally...came out flat with no intensity. How could that be? That were 2-0 with a chance to make a statement against a good team, but not a scary one. This wasn't one of the great offenses of NE from a few years ago. The chargers didn't really do anything special. They were on their 3rd RB. How many screen passes did we have nobody within 20 yards? Run, run, incomplete all day. Eventually teams are going to realize that we run it up the middle on every first down and most second downs.

I have a feeling it isn't going to matter. This team is still soft. They are weak mentally...came out flat with no intensity. How could that be? That were 2-0 with a chance to make a statement against a good team, but not a scary one. This wasn't one of the great offenses of NE from a few years ago. The chargers didn't really do anything special. They were on their 3rd RB. How many screen passes did we have nobody within 20 yards? Run, run, incomplete all day. Eventually teams are going to realize that we run it up the middle on every first down and most second downs.

How good are they that they can not show up and still hold a NFL team to 20 points ? The Chargers 13 points at halftime this game was winnable the offense generated nothing in the first half and we are probably near the bottom of the league in passing now and the NFL is now a passing league .

How good are they that they can not show up and still hold a NFL team to 20 points ? The Chargers 13 points at halftime this game was winnable the offense generated nothing in the first half and we are probably near the bottom of the league in passing now and the NFL is now a passing league .

My statement was more of a general statement about the whole team being soft. The defense didn't allow a crazy amount of points, but they couldn't get off the field for most of the game and their receivers were wide open all day. Simple screen passes going for 15-20 yards, rivers running for 9 on third down, etc. The offense was more pathetic though.

My statement was more of a general statement about the whole team being soft. The defense didn't allow a crazy amount of points, but they couldn't get off the field for most of the game and their receivers were wide open all day. Simple screen passes going for 15-20 yards, rivers running for 9 on third down, etc. The offense was more pathetic though.

The defense gave us 5 possessions in the 4th quarter alone in a 2 score game at home .

they held the Chargers to 20 points

The time of possession Chargers 31:34 Bills 28:26

The Chargers were able to pick up some big chunk plays but ultimately had 336 total yards

The defense was more than enough.

The defense gave us 5 possessions in the 4th quarter alone in a 2 score game at home .

The Chargers were able to pick up some big chunk plays but ultimately had 336 total yards

Ok, you win. The defense was great today.

He's right. Saying this defense is soft is borderline ridiculous. The offense needs to step up.

Ok, you win too. It's great.

Somewhere you guys seem to think I am blaming the defense for the loss, the offense was terrible. I thought the defense was soft today. It was nowhere near as aggressive as what I saw the last 2 weeks. But, you both convinced me otherwise. It was lights out all day.

Agreed

I was saying to some other fans this team had good intensity week one and two. Today they looked flat. Until they play with fire consistently every week they will do nothing.......again.

Disappointing... let's see how/if they bounce back next week.

It's a bad loss because we looked so bad doing it. Our Pass D looked weak. Our entire offense looked weak. And we were undisciplined - being flagged for over 100 yards in infractions yet again.

If it was a hard-fought loss in OT, we could still feel good being 2-1. But today we didn't look like a 2-1 team, nor did we look like a team that would compete in the AFCE.

Let's hope we look like a different team next week.

What makes it tough for me is even with Rivers playing as well as he did it was still a winnable game but the offense and mainly EJ couldn't do jack against an average defense

EJ and the offense looked a lot like what we saw in the preseason today didn't they?

Was the big gameplan on offense today really the pistol? Why not just line up under center and run from the I vs team giving up 5.6 instead of the gimmick BS

For the record the Chargers only have the tie breaker against the Bills if the tie breaker is just between them but if other teams are involved head to head it won't matter

Edited by Max997

add to that the numerous 3 and outs, they were on the field a ton today. They played much better in the 2nd half, while the offense and EJ were still playing throw the ball 5 yards.

I think this quarterback is gonna be tough to stomach this season. He just doesn't see the whole field. It has nothing to do with reading a defense. Although that's a problem too. He is missing wide open receivers. I supported the draft pick. Now I'm not so sure.

This defense is gonna win us some games. This quarterback, just like today, is gonna have us lose some games.

I don't know what to make of all of it except that I think our coaching on offense needs work. I think half a dozen teams in this league could have EJ and win. Our staff doesn't know how to scheme around his shortcomings.

C

Honestly, I'd settle for a baby step this season.... just win 8 games. The playoffs still seem like an eternity away when you look at our QB play and offensive scheme in comparison to other playoff contending teams.

I'm not saying EJ can't get better, he can. I'm not saying Hackett can suddenly look competent, well maybe he can. But, right now... they're not.

I have a feeling that if we win next week we will feel good again

The season is a marathon not a sprint

+1 for the voice of reason!

The Bills lost to a very good SD team today.

Now if the Bills lose to Noodle-arm interception machine Fitzpatrick next week, then there may be some cause for concern.

The defense is supposed to be our strong point. They didn't look it. The Chargers front four looked better than ours today. It's like it flip flopped. Chargers weak O-line performed better against our top D line, and our O-line did crappy against the Chargers weak D line. It was ridiculous.

Where were our blitzes?

Where were our turnovers?

Why did Rivers have all day to wait for receivers?

Why was it 4 on 5 on the line all day long?

Yeah come out at the half and let Rivers do an 8 minute drive to put them up by 3 scores. Yeah that was a real game changer/motivator. :rolleyes:

This was a team loss. The offense folded to an iffy defense, and the defense folded to an iffy o-line.

Edited by What a Tuel

This is the same Chargers team that dominated Seattle last week. They are a good team. The Bills did not play well yesterday and when you play poorly against a good team, you generally get beat. Now let's see how they respond and if they can bounce back. If they can, great, if not, it may be another long season.

The primary reason this is a tough loss is that it exemplfied how erratic Manuel continues to be. It's a serious concern because you can't teach accuracy. In this regard, Rivers really showed him up.

Yeah this is where I am at. As bad as he played EJ needed to make a few give me plays that any NFL QB should be able to make in his sleep for the Bills to have a serious chance of winning. The sideline throw to Watkins where he had about 5 steps on the defender. Of course EJ throws 10 yards over his head(into the wind mind you) & the crossing pattern to woods where there wasn't a defender within 10 yards of him @ the 50. He hits woods in stride there instead of throwing it a second or 2 too early & 5 yards behind him. He completes those 2 passes which were easy passes to complete & the Bills probably win. That is not asking too much of your QB. Although, there may have been a penalty on the Bills on the Watkins throw. Can't really remember, I got pretty f*cked up at the game yesterday.

Also, why would Marrone punt it when your on the SD 45 yard line down 2 scores & they could of took the offsides penalty & went for a 4th & 1. Instead they took the holding penalty & SD took over at the 10 yard line. That is a nobrainer, you go for it all day long when your down 2 scores in the 2nd half. & of course Rivers took them on an 8 minute drive.

Edited by Gordio

Ok, you win too. It's great.

Somewhere you guys seem to think I am blaming the defense for the loss, the offense was terrible. I thought the defense was soft today. It was nowhere near as aggressive as what I saw the last 2 weeks. But, you both convinced me otherwise. It was lights out all day.

The defensive strategy was 1) Shut down the running game. 2) Contain Antonio Gates. They did both but, unfortunately, the Chargers offense is multidimensional.

Chances are new England and Denver are going to win there divisions. Bills if they want to be serious about making the playoffs have to win games like this against san diego because the chargers most likely will be right in the wild card hunt and they officially have the tie breaker on us. Got a bad feeling this is going to come back to haunt us but I hope im wrong

I'm not convinced NE is going to win the AFCE based on what they've shown thus far. Ceding the division title to them as a foregone conclusion based on previous years is not warranted.

I have a feeling that if we win next week we will feel good again

The season is a marathon not a sprint

:thumbsup:

I'm not convinced NE is going to win the AFCE based on what they've shown thus far. Ceding the division title to them as a foregone conclusion based on previous years is not warranted.

Pats did not look good against Oakland yesterday, at all... they only won because Oakland is that bad.

The reason why this is a tough loss for me was that I just watched Trent Edwards play Qb for us coached by Dick Jauron. I saw this game a few years ago with the same exact outcome. Teams stack the box on us, blitz us, take the run game away, make us one dimensional and dare EJ to make a play. Until he makes a play we will be doomed. He is not accurate at all, cannot read defenses, and has a very strong conservative mindset. Very concerning.

We can't rely on defense and special teams chipping in every game in order to be a good team. I think our D has played well this season. Vanilla, but solid giving our offenses many chances to win or keep us in the game. We won't see as many sacks and ints as last year, but we will be better vs the run and give up less big plays. Offensively we are too predictable and plain. We need another type of offensive other then the read/option. Ej cant read. I'd like to see him under center with rollouts, playaction, I form or 2 TE sets.