O-line play

ny33

I'll take the win for sure, but line play was not good. Bears D-line isn't very good either. We'll see how they do as the season progresses. There is a lot of room for improvement and I don't doubt that they can improve as these guys play more together. Pears looked really out of place though. I hope the rookies get better and can step in at guard...

I agree completely--at least with the statement there is a lot of room for improvement. And I also hope, and expect, that will happen as they get more time together. Let's just hope they stay healthy.

They were far from perfect, but also far better than they were in preseason.

193 yards rushing and only 1 sack. Stats don't tell the entire story, but they aren't meaningless either. Considering this was the first (or perhaps second) game with this particular lineup (and for one player, his first NFL game) I'd say they acquitted themselves pretty well.

Good post. I agree.

Glenn is a dominant LT. If anyone on TSW ever again suggests he be moved to guard, it should lead to an immediate banning.

@ChrisTrapasso

Allen was @PFF's lowest-rated Bears defender. Played 54 snaps. One QB hurry. Glenn essentially shut him completely out of the game.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Glenn is a dominant LT. If anyone on TSW ever again suggests he be moved to guard, it should lead to an immediate banning.

@ChrisTrapasso

Allen was @PFF's lowest-rated Bears defender. Played 54 snaps. One QB hurry. Glenn essentially shut him completely out of the game.

Toward the end of the game, I started wondering if Allen was even playing.

Chris Trapasso@ChrisTrapasso 7m

Re-watched #Bills game last night & his morning. LG Chris Williams wasn't fantastic, but not anywhere near a Colin Brown/Legursky liability.

That was my take too. I thought he did fine.... he is not a brilliant guard but I think he played at a league average level or thereabouts yesterday. If he does that all season he is a big upgrade on what we had last year and playing between Glenn and Wood should help (although Wood is worrying me a bit... didn't think he was good back end of last season and I don't think he played great yesterday).

Solid outing. I was watching with a group of fans and I noted to another fan that EJ was getting plenty of time. Next play was a sack. Outside of that, it seemed like they played well. It didn't seem like they run blocked well, yet the stats say otherwise with almost 200 yds rushing. I'll take it.

They did well yesterday. The heavily slanted mix towards run over pass indeed helped the pass blocking.

I give them a B+ or A- for yesterday's work.

For the Miami game the thing I am most concerned about is a Cameron Wake vs. Henderson matchup.

Did you see some of the highlights of that guy blowing by the Pats RT?! Dude was shot out of a cannon!

For the Miami game the thing I am most concerned about is a Cameron Wake vs. Henderson matchup.

Did you see some of the highlights of that guy blowing by the Pats RT?! Dude was shot out of a cannon!

Big early test for Henderson for sure. He did pretty much neutralize JPP in the GIants pre-season game. Wake is better so will take a lot to keep him away from EJ. I think the OC will start by getting more help on Wake's side then see how Henderson is holding up (pun not intended). Henderson needs to be disciplined (no penalties) and not fall for stunts

That was my take too. I thought he did fine.... he is not a brilliant guard but I think he played at a league average level or thereabouts yesterday. If he does that all season he is a big upgrade on what we had last year and playing between Glenn and Wood should help (although Wood is worrying me a bit... didn't think he was good back end of last season and I don't think he played great yesterday).

Had a bad snap - EJ did OK with it but that is scary

Overall they didn't run block that well, two big runs at the end of each half pushed the total up a bit plus EJs runs.

Obviously they need to be better and hope they improve now that they finally have 5 that will be playing together after the merry go round in the preseason.

I don't understand why this offense has so much trouble with screens

When you have SLOW MOVING guards who are better suited to play tackle ... it just seems that our two guards just can't get out in front fast enough.

I am willing to give this OL a little time since they didn't really play together in preseason. Some communications' issues to work out.

Pass blocking was ok ...

When you have SLOW MOVING guards who are better suited to play tackle ... it just seems that our two guards just can't get out in front fast enough.

I am willing to give this OL a little time since they didn't really play together in preseason. Some communications' issues to work out.

Pass blocking was ok ...

Actually.....for the most part your OT's are more athletic so they should be able to have more agility......

To me its all about timing

They did well yesterday. The heavily slanted mix towards run over pass indeed helped the pass blocking.

I give them a B+ or A- for yesterday's work.

EJ will need to work on hard counts and snapping the ball at different times to get Wake to jump/throw him off.

Sweet creamery butter this is a frustrating thread.

The team ran for 193 yards on 33 carries, which is a 5.8 YPC average, and allowed a single sack.

The OL was great yesterday.

They have a stiff test next week, so we'll see how they fare.

The OL was good, not great. Pass blocking was good, but they need to step it up in the run game. The average would have been pretty low if it weren't for those two big runs. The guards blew up those screen plays by not blocking anyone.

The OL was good, not great. Pass blocking was good, but they need to step it up in the run game. The average would have been pretty low if it weren't for those two big runs. The guards blew up those screen plays by not blocking anyone.

I agree that they need to improve, especially in the screen game. That's an astute observation.

I'm not sure I'm with you on the idea of taking away the two long runs, as this is part and parcel to Buffalo's approach in the run game. They have an enormous OL; one of the biggest in the NFL. Part of their game plan is to pound opposing Ds with the run, using their size to beat them up. It worked yesterday, as by the 4th Q Chicago's defense looked slow, tired, and beat. They were able to move the ball on the ground in the 4th, on the road, which is huge if you want to win games late in the season (as I'm sure you know).

Just my 1 cent.

After the cluster you know what of last year, I was ok with the OL performance yesterday - especially given their lack of playing time together. The Bears D line is pretty good. It does not get any easier this week or against the Texans in a few weeks. Cameron Wake and JJ Watt are going to be a real tests.

I expect that there will be some peaks and valleys, but the performance should get better as they continue to play together and become more cohesive as a unit.

I agree that they need to improve, especially in the screen game. That's an astute observation.

I'm not sure I'm with you on the idea of taking away the two long runs, as this is part and parcel to Buffalo's approach in the run game. They have an enormous OL; one of the biggest in the NFL. Part of their game plan is to pound opposing Ds with the run, using their size to beat them up. It worked yesterday, as by the 4th Q Chicago's defense looked slow, tired, and beat. They were able to move the ball on the ground in the 4th, on the road, which is huge if you want to win games late in the season (as I'm sure you know).

Just my 1 cent.

I'd like to see more push off the ball. Boogie Dixon was pretty good up the middle. Without those two runs the average is 3.5 yards per carry. With the biggest OL in the league I want MORE POWER! (Sorry Tool Time flashback)

Edited by voodoo poonani

I'd like to see more push off the ball. Boogie Dixon was pretty good up the middle. Without those two. Runs the average is 3.5 yards per carry. With the biggest OL in the league I want MORE POWER! (Sorry Tool Time flashback)

That's fine, homey.

But--for real--if you subtracted the top two runs from EVERY teams' performance, that's about the number you'd get.

I was thrilled with yesterdays performance after that hot mess of a preseason! Hopefully they have time to gel and just get better all year. The guards are weaknesses it appears. Also, is the biggest OL in the league (or thereabouts) really made to run effective screens? CJ and Sammy should be very dangerous on screens. It seems our skill players don't entirely match our OL, but yesterday was still a pleasure.

we had several well timed screen calls...set up for big gains and our lineman couldnt get their block.....they didnt this week but they will.

we had several well timed screen calls...set up for big gains and our lineman couldnt get their block.....they didnt this week but they will.

sorry John you made that point