Golisano to bid on Bills & propose new WS staduim

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have said it before, but it bears repeating: The first order of business is to secure the long term future of the Bills in BUFFALO.

The Pegulas and Tom Golisano both fit that bill (pun intended). I trust them as well as the Jacobs and Rich families.

People seem to forget that Buffalo was in danger of losing the Sabres. Tom Golisano, who was not a hockey fan, stepped in and saved the team. He sold the team to the Pegulas, who are hockey fans, and committed to the area.

The Pegulas are committed to the Sabres and Buffalo and have invested incredible resources in the Sabres and Buffalo. Look at what they already are doing with the Harbor Center and hockey in general. As for the Sabres, we (and they) are all disappointed with the results. Rather than put band aids on the team, they are willing and trying to do what is best for the long term. They are willing to ride out the storm -- and spend/lose money -- to rebuild the team. A lot of owners would not be willing to make that kind of investment.

I would be absolutely ecstatic if either the Pegulas or Tom Golisano bought the Buffalo Bills. The same with the Jacobs or Rich families.

I have said it before, but it bears repeating: The first order of business is to secure the long term future of the Bills in BUFFALO.

The Pegulas and Tom Golisano both fit that bill (pun intended). I trust them as well as the Jacobs and Rich families.

People seem to forget that Buffalo was in danger of losing the Sabres. Tom Golisano, who was not a hockey fan, stepped in and saved the team. He sold the team to the Pegulas, who are hockey fans, and committed to the area.

The Pegulas are committed to the Sabres and Buffalo and have invested incredible resources in the Sabres and Buffalo. Look at what they already are doing with the Harbor Center and hockey in general. As for the Sabres, we (and they) are all disappointed with the results. Rather than put band aids on the team, they are willing and trying to do what is best for the long term. They are willing to ride out the storm -- and spend/lose money -- to rebuild the team. A lot of owners would not be willing to make that kind of investment.

I would be absolutely ecstatic if either the Pegulas or Tom Golisano bought the Buffalo Bills. The same with the Jacobs or Rich families.

Thank you!

I'm baffled that there are people who are picky about who buys the Bills.

WHO CARES!?

As long as they stay in Buffalo it doesnt matter to me.

Someone isnt going to pay $1 Billion dollars to be cheap or not try to produce a winning team

CBF

As long as it's someone local and it isn't this guy, I'm happy.

And he also has to pay for the new stadium. And make sure we make the playoffs the next 10 years. And beer prices are lower. And no traffic issues before and after the game. :rolleyes:

So what if the Jacobs' get the team and want to move it at the end of the lease? all good right?

Be happy with whoever wants to buy the team and keep them in buffalo. Complain about them in a few years if nothing has changed with the team.

And he also has to pay for the new stadium. And make sure we make the playoffs the next 10 years. And beer prices are lower. And no traffic issues before and after the game. :rolleyes:

So what if the Jacobs' get the team and want to move it at the end of the lease? all good right?

Be happy with whoever wants to buy the team and keep them in buffalo. Complain about them in a few years if nothing has changed with the team.

I agree with the overall gist of your post but I have to admit, I wouldn't like it if the Donald bought the team.

Sure, it'd be better than losing the team to TO or elsewhere, but he would be an absolute embarrassment to the team, the region, and we the fans. And rest assured, I would mock him and complain day 1!

why does John Kryk seem to be so much more in front of this than TBN or WGR reporters?

Most of the guys that write for the Buffalo News are more interested in pushing their narrative and snark. There are a couple of exceptions, but the News has spiraled downward since the days of people like Jim Kelley, Vic Carucci, and Larry Felser and others.

I am not a hockey fan so no nothing about the Sabres.

But Buftex gave me an education .

I am fine with T Golisano to stabilize the Bills ion WNY. Bon Jovi can to take a leap imo. I like Toronto fine just not with Our Beloved Bills . damned foreigners. No offense CBF !!!

Go Bills !

I am not a hockey fan so no nothing about the Sabres.

But Buftex gave me an education .

I am fine with T Golisano to stabilize the Bills ion WNY. Bon Jovi can to take a leap imo. I like Toronto fine just not with Our Beloved Bills . damned foreigners. No offense CBF !!!

Go Bills !

Non taken my friend.

I share your opinion

CBF

Non taken my friend.

I share your opinion

CBF

I just want to keep the Bills to have the city Buffalo in the title. and heck i am from Rochester !

Thanks CBF , you know i was just teasing you

I still think Terry Pegula is going to be a prospective bidder for the Bills. For a couple of reasons.

1. In Sept 2011 he purchased a NFL Player Agency owned by Todd France, because he wanted to learn the business side of the NFL.

2. Ed Kilgore, former Sports Director at WGRZ Channel 2 in Buffalo, had a report shortly before he left which stated he has personal knowledge of a potential ownership group that would like to purchase the team and help build a new stadium in WNY for them. He left Channel 2 a few months later to go to work for Pegula.

3. As we all know, Thurman tweeted a while back that he has done something to help ensure the Bills Future in Buffalo. A short time later he started retweeting posts from one of the Pegula's Daughters for awhile. (Yes I realize this is a probably a HUGE coincidence, but who knows)

Pegula has demonstrated his willingness to spend his own money and would probably contribute at least 200 million towards a new stadium.

All of this may amount to nothing, but we will have to see.

And ageist!!

I know . Right ! Lurking when you least expect

By the way i have a friend ( a Dad ) whose young boys were taken care of due to the incredible care made available by Tom Golisano's efforts.

They both survived their disease and now are healthy and playing youth hockey . We are thankful for what T. Golisano has given back to WNY.

I still think Terry Pegula is going to be a prospective bidder for the Bills. For a couple of reasons.

1. In Sept 2011 he purchased a NFL Player Agency owned by Todd France, because he wanted to learn the business side of the NFL.

2. Ed Kilgore, former Sports Director at WGRZ Channel 2 in Buffalo, had a report shortly before he left which stated he has personal knowledge of a potential ownership group that would like to purchase the team and help build a new stadium in WNY for them. He left Channel 2 a few months later to go to work for Pegula.

3. As we all know, Thurman tweeted a while back that he has done something to help ensure the Bills Future in Buffalo. A short time later he started retweeting posts from one of the Pegula's Daughters for awhile. (Yes I realize this is a probably a HUGE coincidence, but who knows)

Pegula has demonstrated his willingness to spend his own money and would probably contribute at least 200 million towards a new stadium.

All of this may amount to nothing, but we will have to see.

El Pegaul likes to be a player. He WAS discussed at the March league meetings. Seems he'd be the perfect candidate in the eyes of other owners.

How about a Pegula/Golisano partnership with Golisano selling out after the new broadcast deal kicks in? Hmm.

GO BILLS!!!

I would be fine with Golisano as owner with one proviso - he does not bring Larry Quinn with him. If I am not mistaken (and I would be happy for someone to correct my memory on this), Quinn was part of the meeting TG had with Bills officials a month ago or so. In my opinion, TG saved the Sabres and was a very good owner. I would not like to see Quinn replace Brandon. Quinn was the biggest problem with the Sabres during that time period.

I agree with the overall gist of your post but I have to admit, I wouldn't like it if the Donald bought the team.

Sure, it'd be better than losing the team to TO or elsewhere, but he would be an absolute embarrassment to the team, the region, and we the fans. And rest assured, I would mock him and complain day 1!

He would be and mock him all you want, if the team stays put, I don't care. I know someone like Trump would be even worse than Al Davis and Jerry Jones with his publicity stunts but at the end of the day, just need to be happy for what we got.

My favorite thing about trump is that he is the person that could have devastated the Bills the most if the USFL didn't fold and now he want to be the owner.

Edited by The Wiz

Golisano is buying the team to secure their long term future in WNY. He will secure the new stadium and a long term lease and then possibly put them back on the market. There are much worse options than Golisano.

Yes and no. If he "cheaps" the Bills like he did the Sabres, count on additional years of mediocrity before someone who truly cares steps in.

I would be fine with Golisano as owner with one proviso - he does not bring Larry Quinn with him. If I am not mistaken (and I would be happy for someone to correct my memory on this), Quinn was part of the meeting TG had with Bills officials a month ago or so. In my opinion, TG saved the Sabres and was a very good owner. I would not like to see Quinn replace Brandon. Quinn was the biggest problem with the Sabres during that time period.

Don't say that name!

Yes and no. If he "cheaps" the Bills like he did the Sabres, count on additional years of mediocrity before someone who truly cares steps in.

Define cheaps? The Golisano years have been perfectly articulated by Buftex earlier in the thread.

He did for the Sabres exactly what I am suggesting he does here.

Define cheaps? The Golisano years have been perfectly articulated by Buftex earlier in the thread.

He did for the Sabres exactly what I am suggesting he does here.

Golisano spent to the cap. You can argue with the decision making, but he was not cheap.

I don't post often... so I'll defer to those do. Judging by the leaks if it does seem like a potential owner with local ties will prevail. A lot good posts in the thread along with a healthy skepticism, which is fair. The thing that intrigues me is if Golisano becomes majority owner for a set period of time and brings in a minority partner with an agreement to buy the majority out (Golisano is no spring chicken) upon a certain time with all the wishes all of a new stadium and binding lease... I'm liking it. My two cents...

I don't post often... so I'll defer to those do. Judging by the leaks if it does seem like a potential owner with local ties will prevail. A lot good posts in the thread along with a healthy skepticism, which is fair. The thing that intrigues me is if Golisano becomes majority owner for a set period of time and brings in a minority partner with an agreement to buy the majority out (Golisano is no spring chicken) upon a certain time with all the wishes all of a new stadium and binding lease... I'm liking it. My two cents...

That makes a lot of sense. I was thinking along the same lines. Golisano helps keep the Bills in Buffalo short term, makes a smooth transition to the minority owner. I'm guessing he does not want to deal with a new stadium as he is approaching 80 years old.

That makes a lot of sense. I was thinking along the same lines. Golisano helps keep the Bills in Buffalo short term, makes a smooth transition to the minority owner. I'm guessing he does not want to deal with a new stadium as he is approaching 80 years old.

I'm thinking that if he buys it he will see it through the new stadium. It will be built with like a 30 year lease with no out clauses and then he will put it back on the market.

He would be and mock him all you want, if the team stays put, I don't care. I know someone like Trump would be even worse than Al Davis and Jerry Jones with his publicity stunts but at the end of the day, just need to be happy for what we got.

My favorite thing about trump is that he is the person that could have devastated the Bills the most if the USFL didn't fold and now he want to be the owner.

How so? Kelly?

I'm thinking that if he buys it he will see it through the new stadium. It will be built with like a 30 year lease with no out clauses and then he will put it back on the market.

Modell brought in Bisicotti, regardless of how Modell hightailed it to Charm City... he set up the future... and Biscoitti... is against transfers...

Golisano never spent to the cap. The NHL had a salary cap and the Sabres had their own lower salary cap under Golisano. He told Regier do whatever you want to improve the team just don't lose any money.

Golisano never spent to the cap. The NHL had a salary cap and the Sabres had their own lower salary cap under Golisano. He told Regier do whatever you want to improve the team just don't lose any money.

Exactly, which if he did that with the Bills we could have any player we wanted under the cap.

Haha. Don't we have 2 1st rounders, 2nd rounders, and a 3rd rounder on our line now?

I think the Steelers and Packers operate with a moneyball philosophy. But you're right. We should be more like the Washington Slurs and cowboys, real deep spenders.

just can't resist, can ya...

There are times when I think the karma of this team is justified.

How so? Kelly?

Yup. Think what if for a second if the USFL didn't fold. We don't have Kelly or the glory days that were, the team would have been similar to where they are now with their record, if not worse. Ralph might have pulled the trigger on another location if the timing was there for it.

It's all speculation but it might have happened. We will never know.

Edited by The Wiz

I'm not an expert on NHL salary cap but I recall having to trade Biron because of Connolly coming back and not going over the cap in the Presidents trophy year. He won't lose money in the NFL.

He'll make money if he buys the Bills so I don't get the comparison to the NHL. Maybe he saved the Sabres maybe he didn't. I know Hamister fell through. I don't get how any fan could be disappointed with a guy buying a team and ensuring they stay here.