Golisano to bid on Bills & propose new WS staduim

Whether or not you agree with his approach to running the Sabres, there exists very little doubt that Golisano would buy the team and ensure that they stayed here--even if he did turn around and sell a few years down the road.

Were he to end up the new owner, you're looking at a new stadium, new management, etc.

Thanks.

I hadn't heard this specifically, but I did hear that more than one potential local owner had been through a preliminary vetting process that was organized by Russ and the NFL at Ralph's behest.

At Ralph's behest ? . . . . could that mean some pre-arranged sale or at least pre-arranged control of process, whereby Ralph provided NFL with list of a few owners he was comfortable with ?

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard a while back that Golisano has already gone through the vetting process of the other owners and been approved. That now sounds consistent with his pushing for pre approval so that he can take the reigns.The meeting at Sinatra's with Russ and Larry Quinn certainly would make sense. Quinn was originally in charge of the development of the arena (if I remember correctly). That conversation may very well have been about the prospects of a new stadium.

Golisano could stabilize this franchise and secure their long term future. I am in favor of anyone that will make sure that the team stays. One thing working in Golisano's favor on that end is that his actions have proven that. Trump can say that he would keep the team in WNY and maybe he does but we have precedent that Golisano would.

Excellent points. Golisano is our white knight.

Well I'm not expecting a super bowl in Buffalo under any circumstances, so there's no disappointment either way.

Fair enough. Others were speculating.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised by a Buffalo Superbowl if the stadium ends up downtown (because regardless of where it ends up it will very likely have a retractable roof)

Right but what will everyone do in Buffalo in February? walk along the lake?

Wow some people kill me....

3 months ago we were all worried that we would lose the team to LA or Toronto and now we have a local owner who would keep the Bills in Buffalo and people are complaining?????????

Beggers cant be choosers.

No matter how you look at it, bad football is better than no football.

He also only bought the Sabres for close to $200 million so it was easy to flip for a profit.

He is not buying the Bills to be cheap. If you make a $1Billion dollar purchase, I think its a pretty clear sign as to how commited you are to this franchise.

By the way, in his 6 years owning the Sabres he made the playoffs 4 times and also won the Presidents trophy.

I would say he has had a very succesful career as a sports franchise owner

Thank you!!!!!!!!!

CBF

This

and this

howard@hsimon62 3h

Golisano bought Sabres in march 03, sold in Feb 11. in 6 yrs, #Sabres made playoffs 4 times. had 2 1st place finishes and 2 2nd places

Edited by YoloinOhio

This

and this

howard@hsimon62 3h

Golisano bought Sabres in march 03, sold in Feb 11. in 6 yrs, #Sabres made playoffs 4 times. had 2 1st place finishes and 2 2nd places

Yep, and they were the best team in the NHL in 2005-2006, and would have won the cup if not for some amazingly bad luck. But what else is new?

At Ralph's behest ? . . . . could that mean some pre-arranged sale or at least pre-arranged control of process, whereby Ralph provided NFL with list of a few owners he was comfortable with ?

I don't know all of the details...sorry.

Right but what will everyone do in Buffalo in February? walk along the lake?

Naval museum, HarborPlace, Events Center, etc. We find a way to host the NCAA tournament every few years; I see no reason why the increase in downtown infrastructure can't support a week's worth of Superbowl activity.

Well I'm not expecting a super bowl in Buffalo under any circumstances, so there's no disappointment either way.

I care infinitely more about the Bills just making it to one more Superbowl than I do about Buffalo ever hosting one.

I don't know too many details either but the conversations go back before Ralph passed. I don't believe that a pre-arraigned sale is in place because he would be costing himself money that way but there are candidates that he was well aware of. Moral of the story is that these ownership talks have not just popped up since his death.

I don't know all of the details...sorry.

Naval museum, HarborPlace, Events Center, etc. We find a way to host the NCAA tournament every few years; I see no reason why the increase in downtown infrastructure can't support a week's worth of Superbowl activity.

You are probably right but I wouldn't compare the 1st round of NCAA to SuperBowl week.

John Kryk@JohnKryk 48s

Former @BuffaloSabres owner Thomas Golisano indeed intends to bid on #Bills, either alone or in lead with 1 other: http://blogs.canoe.ca/krykslants/nfl/former-buffalo-sabres-owner-golisano-to-bid-on-bills-source-confirms/

John Kryk@JohnKryk 2m

This has been expected. But once newly named "transaction team" solicits bids, Golisano is expected to seek immediate #NFL pre-approval.

Oh god please go away Golisano. GO FAR AWAY!!!

Oh god please go away Golisano. GO FAR AWAY!!!

Why?????

Are you saying you would rather have an owner who may not keep the Bills in Buffalo?

I agree he is not at the top of my list (Jacobs, Pegula) but he will keep the Bills in Buffalo so that automatically puts him near the top for me.

CBF

I don't know too many details either but the conversations go back before Ralph passed. I don't believe that a pre-arraigned sale is in place because he would be costing himself money that way but there are candidates that he was well aware of. Moral of the story is that these ownership talks have not just popped up since his death.

I figured no pre-arranged sale, I was thinking more of a pre-arranged, pre-approved list that Ralph might have provided the trust of individuals who he knew was interested and could direct them --- probably grasping at straws here, but, in my mind, the best indication that the team will be sold to local interests is that fact that the two Mary's are on voting trust -- no way does Ralph put those family members in position to have to vote to move team -- and, no way, do those two vote for a non-local buyer, regardless of their bid --- IMO