Golisano to bid on Bills & propose new WS staduim

That makes a lot of sense. I was thinking along the same lines. Golisano helps keep the Bills in Buffalo short term, makes a smooth transition to the minority owner. I'm guessing he does not want to deal with a new stadium as he is approaching 80 years old.

Well, he's 72, not exactly on the doorstep of 80. Plenty of time to left to secure the Bills' future.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, he's 72, not exactly on the doorstep of 80. Plenty of time to left to secure the Bills' future.

Yes. He has plenty of time to secure the Long term future of the Bills in Buffalo as he did with the Sabres. He would be a hero - as would the Pegulas or anyone else who did this.

The stadium is probably a number of years away - say 4-5 minimum - that would make him 'approaching' 80. My point was , his main concern was keeping the team here while things are still in doubt. He can plan a successor accordingly with no concern of relocation.

Here's a great idea the would never happen: Merge the Giants and the Jets into one team, then create a new team in L.A. Would have to shift around the divisions somehow, but how are the Dallas Cowboys part of the NFC East anyway? Just a late-night, weird thought.

I just want to keep the Bills to have the city Buffalo in the title. and heck i am from Rochester !

Thanks CBF , you know i was just teasing you

I agree bud.

I am a proud Canadian but I want Toronto to have NO PART in the Buffalo Bills.

They dont deserve them. Buffalo does.

NFL should never be in Canada IMO.

Football is America's game (and its the best one) let's keep it that way.

. . . that could be a new slogan for the team.

Name for the new Bills stadium:

"Mofo Stadium"

CBF

Edited by Canadian Bills Fan

Here's a great idea the would never happen: Merge the Giants and the Jets into one team, then create a new team in L.A. Would have to shift around the divisions somehow, but how are the Dallas Cowboys part of the NFC East anyway? Just a late-night, weird thought.

and nothing to do with the topic of discussion.

Jimmy Spagnola would have no part of this proposal. He'd shiv any mofo in favor of it.

Odds are he would secure the team, make them start improving the season record, make the team (aka fanbse, Businesses, county, State) ensure they made some money). If he will do like he allegedly did with the sabers and sped to the cap and not go minor league on us then fine. Leave Brandon and Whaley in place and let them run the damn team.

If he can help get the new (retractable roof or dome) stadium built and secure the Bills future in WNY THEN Sell....so be it.

I agree bud.

I am a proud Canadian but I want Toronto to have NO PART in the Buffalo Bills.

They dont deserve them. Buffalo does.

NFL should never be in Canada IMO.

Football is America's game (and its the best one) let's keep it that way.

Name for the new Bills stadium:

"Mofo Stadium"

CBF

And that's why I like you. :beer: Honestly, Canadians are like the nicest people in the world. The majority I have met want the Bills to stay in Buffalo because it's more fun to tailgate. Canadians are always in America anyways.

That said, if the Bills ever move to Toronto, me and 5 of my friends are declaring war on the entire country. Sorry CBF. No hard feelings.

And that's why I like you. :beer: Honestly, Canadians are like the nicest people in the world. The majority I have met want the Bills to stay in Buffalo because it's more fun to tailgate. Canadians are always in America anyways.

That said, if the Bills ever move to Toronto, me and 5 of my friends are declaring war on the entire country. Sorry CBF. No hard feelings.

Thank you for the kind words bud!

I don’t just want the Bills to stay in Buffalo because of the great tailgating (it is the best) but more because WNY IS THE BILLS.

Also, (being in Canada and being subject to their news outlets) it certainly feels like Toronto has this feeling of entitlement when it comes to the Bills and having a team and I hate that.

They think that they can throw a ton of money out and buy the Bills well it isn’t that simple.

I always tell my friends that Toronto is like the bully at school he goes up to the smaller kids and take their lunch money and then laughs about it.

Toronto does not care about the fans at all and this was evident when Rogers announced the ticket prices for the Toronto series (throws up in mouth)

Toronto will never be anything more than a corporate team for any sports and I speak from firsthand experience from trying to get my hands on tickets to different sporting events. The city of Buffalo doesn’t deserve that.

The way I look at it is this, if the people of Toronto want to be a part of the NFL experience, get in your car and drive the 45 minutes to Buffalo.

The Bills aren’t going anywhere.

As far as war declaration, I will join you and your friends.

CBF

Edited by Canadian Bills Fan

Yeah, I've got family from Canada and so I'm actually a Jays and Leafs fan [ducks to avoid the shoes and full beers thrown at my head].

I frequent a lot of Jays blogs and forums in particular, and the topic of the Bills being bought by a Toronto group comes up from time to time. The vibe I get from up there, feelings about the Sabres aside, is that everyone in Southern Ontario knows how much the Bills mean to Western New York and no self-respecting football fans up there want to see the Bills uprooted and moved across the border and up the QEW. If anything, they want their own NFL expansion franchise and see the great Buffalo/Toronto rivalry extended to football as well.

Plus there's the simple logistical issue that there's currently no long-term stadium fit for an NFL team in Toronto. The SkyDome is switching to grass in a few years, at the Jays behest, and so the Argos are going to play at a University of Toronto stadium.

and nothing to do with the topic of discussion.

I know. But, it's certainly not worthy of its own thread.

Jimmy Spagnola would have no part of this proposal. He'd shiv any mofo in favor of it.

Of course, it could never happen, for a myriad of reasons. Edited by Rocky Landing

A Division with Buffalo, Toronto, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati or Detroit would be tops.

Amen. Said it numerous times... A team in TO and Bflo is the best solution, along with a regional division of Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Toronto all within 6 or so hours drive (Pittsburgh to Toronto being the longest) and putting the Bills smack dead in the middle with no more than a 4 hour drive to any of those games. More importantly, the league gets the big market it wants, keeps the historic small market and Buffalo, following simple economic location theory, should get more spillover for tickets and boxes from Ontario as the high rollers take all the seats in Toronto and fans come here for more affordable tickets. The southern Ontario fans we have will likely increase as the natural need to pick a side... Toronto v Buffalo.

I think the NFL can top out, competitively, at 36 teams with 16 making the playoffs and if an STL or OAK or SD ends up staying and the league wants to get into LA it'll have to expand and TO is almost guaranteed a team in that scenario because they'd need to add two to get to an even 34 and on their way to an eventual 36. If anyone thinks the NFL is going to wait around for a team to relocate in order to get into LA or Toronto, you're fooling yourself.

I shudder to think what the new stadium would look like with a Toronto franchise in the league and ticket prices doubled. Tarps anyone?

A few years ago I jumped into club seats (seasons), and landed on the 50 yard line. I have no business coming out of nowhere with no seniority and landing on the 50. That really shouldn't happen with an NFL franchise. What does this say about the next era of Bills football in a new stadium under a new owner with new higher prices?

You can wish for a Toronto rivalry all you want, but my hope is that our new owner does all he can to recruit southern Ontario fans, claim the Toronto market as his own and put a stake in the heart of Toronto's NFL ambitions. If we have to compete with Toronto for monied fans, I'm not sure how well we'll do.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

Golisano is buying the team to secure their long term future in WNY. He will secure the new stadium and a long term lease and then possibly put them back on the market. There are much worse options than Golisano.

This. He will look to increase its value, which means new stadium and a winning team. This is good news. The new owner would also have to keep the team in Buffalo.

A Division with Buffalo, Toronto, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati or Detroit would be tops.

I love this idea. Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cincy, and Detroit. Although the NFL may not want to break up PIT v. Balt, but they could schedule each other every year anyway. We could schedule NYJ or MIA every year anyway. This will ensure full stadiums for all the teams because fans can easily travel to away games. (or like me, live in one of the other cities). Not so hot about putting a team in Toronto, however. I like the idea another poster had of claiming it as ours. Which I think involves putting any new stadium closer to the boarder.