Golisano to bid on Bills & propose new WS staduim

With all the stuff in our favor of keeping the Bills right here, we can't stop ourselves from bringing up Toronto. Why is that?

It's not just Toronto, it's anyone who wants to buy the team and move it. Sure there are positive reports, most are simply rumors. If it's a done deal why are people that want to move the team still wasting their money in the bidding process?

Edited by SRQ_BillsFan

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not just Toronto, it's anyone who wants to buy the team and move it. Sure there are positive reports, most are simply rumors. If it's a done deal why are people that want to move the team still wasting their money in the bidding process?

This the basis of this discussion. The are people that want to "buy the team" not "people that want to move the team." In an ideal world they would relocate them to Toronto but that isn't an option. They are viewing this as a chance to buy 1 of the 32 franchises, and they rarely come available. In addition, it is the franchise that has the strongest ties to their community. They can build a stadium just over an hour from that city and get some government assistance to do it.

If the JBJ group wins the bid (which I don't think most of us expect) there will certainly be increased marketing and presence in Toronto. They will really step up the already aggressive regionalization efforts. The only thing is that they will still play games on this side of the border.

P.s Now I'm out for real on this thread

Edited by Kirby Jackson

umm, because some of us aren't ostriches.

jw

Is that what I'm doing? Missing out on all the fun of worrying about out of town bidders?

We are operating in a vacuum pretty much on both ends. But it's funny that bad news gets taken a lot more seriously.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Is that what I'm doing? Missing out on all the fun of worrying about out of town bidders?

We are operating in a vacuum pretty much on both ends. But it's funny that bad news gets taken a lot more seriously.

It's the latest news that people care about until there's a resolution.

It's not bad or good it's NEWS --- take a look at the Pegula thread from a few weeks back, when we found out he sold land for over a billion dollars -- that thread exploded with twice as many posts as this one --- it's NEWS that we react to, what you are seeing over the last decade with this team is that there is a lot more bad news than good -- that's all

JBJ/Rogers/MLSE "wanting to keep the team here" makes a lot less sense than JBJ/Rogers/MLSE saying all the right things now, biding their time, letting the initial shock blow over, then working to find legal reasons to move the team. They have 5-6 years to figure it out.

In my opinion, anyone who thinks there is going to be an ironclad "you CANNOT move the team" agreement in the sale that cannot be broken is setting themselves up for disappointment. What if the market seriously fades and the area cannot support the team? There will always be "outs" and this group will spend the next 5-6 years trying to work them. I have no sources, but this makes a lot more sense than Toronto businessmen suddenly wanting to invest billions in keeping the Bills in WNY.

The truly troubling thing is that this all looks like an orchestrated plan now. First The Lunch. Then Jaws. Now the "don't worry I have sources" people are trying to calm our fears about this group. They have a working partnership with the team already.

Suddenly the suspension of the Toronto Series makes a lot of sense. It was only suspended for a year at the Bills behest. Once these guys own the Bills it can be reinstated until the new stadium is ready (lines up pretty well with the lease window).

I would be surprised at this point if they were NOT the winning bid. All of this seems a bit too coincidental.

I'm ready for another helping of Pegula being the lead bidder stories... WGR? WGRZ? Anyone?

Edited by TheFunPolice

I 100% agree with sources that claim the Toronto group wants to keep the team in WNY. Mostly because that is what the Toronto group is saying. They may even hire a PR group to better get the message out. I don't think the sources or articles are wrong.

I don't believe that they were were not originally planning to move the team to Toronto. There are sources and articles from several months ago that indicated this, even discussions on solving the Toronto stadium issue. These sources were no less or more reliable than the current "we love WNY" sources.

Safe to say that these two contradict each other and wonder why the change of heart? The current lease and the rumor that the trust is only interested in bids that keep the team in WNY is the biggest reason.

Given that, most people do indeed believe the current source stories are all true. However the majority of people will question their true intentions.

A separate concern is that the Bills and NFL have put Toronto in the Bills region. If they build a Toronto stadium and move the team between Buffalo and Toronto, is this even relocation? The Toronto group could easily argue that they are still in the local of the Franchise as determined by the NFL.

Our biggest advantage between the current Bills and other teams that have recently successfully moved is that those teams had owners that wanted to move. The current lease gives Toronto time to build a stadium. This is not the Argos we are talking about, to get an NFL team most cities would do whatever it takes.

I hope that the trust can just say no to Toronto and jBJ anything else is not worth the risk.

Edited by SRQ_BillsFan

I think it was a perfect storm for Bills fans to assume the worst- that our team would be moving...

With all the talk of a team in LA, our deal with Toronto, a Toronto based group interested in purchase this franchise, and talk of expanding the NFL into other countries...

I firmly believe Kirby when he says moving our of WNY is a non-issue...

It's not bad or good it's NEWS --- take a look at the Pegula thread from a few weeks back, when we found out he sold land for over a billion dollars -- that thread exploded with twice as many posts as this one --- it's NEWS that we react to, what you are seeing over the last decade with this team is that there is a lot more bad news than good -- that's all

Exactly!