Golisano to bid on Bills & propose new WS staduim

There are a lot of posters on this board whose credibility can be called into question; Kirby is NOT one of them.

If he says he's heard something you can take it to the bank; he's never once--that I've witnessed--posted anything on this board that wasn't reliable. He's also occasioned to tell me (and others I'n sure) things via PM that were 100% accurate well before the esteemed media finds out.

This should be seen as good news.

Ok then. Let it be said , let it be so. Shut the thread down mods, Bills are 1000% staying, the largest home town discounts in the history of professional sports are 1000% sure of being paid out by any of several possible combinations of otherwise smart, financially successful businessmen and otherwise smart and otherwise successful government leaders. Shut the thread down, because this topic (at least the Bills moving out part) is closed. Training camp is opening, so lets get on with the football !!

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does MLSE need/want Jon Bon Jovi. What does he bring to the table?

A well-known and relatively popular American to head their evil Canadian organization. Everyone is like "oh hey it's Jon Bon Jovi that great down to earth American rock and roller from Jersey" instead of "oh crap it's those Toronto guys that are buying up all of the sports teams."

If they have any chance of getting the team they HAVE to say they changed their minds and have come up with an alternative plan to keep the team in WNY. That is the only possible way they can be successful in their bid. Therefore, they will say to anyone and everyone that they changed their minds and they could very realistically live with and be happy with keeping the team in WNY. I also heard from a very reliable source that they are serious and going to come in with a high bid.

Don't believe them for a second, regardless of what they say and to who. The only, only, only way I would believe them is after they have actually signed a contract on a new stadium being built in WNY and at least one shovel has been kicked. Otherwise, I will consider them very likely to be liars, and I sincerely doubt the NFL would even consider this.

+10000000000

The only way I would believe them is to put it in the sales documents that they can only own the team as long as they build a stadium in WNY. No ifs ands or buts, lock them in for the next 30 yrs

I am not supporting it but I am not afraid of it. What I have been told is that they will 100% be in WNY long term. I was at one point a little nervous but am not anymore.

Sure I agree because they have no choice but to say that. What is long term 2019, 2020? A team in Toronto is a tough sell because of the Bills, especially with a team downtown which is closer to Toronto.

Saying this is a done deal and thinking the trust won't sell to a higher bidder is just being nieve.

Sure there are things in the lease that we feel can't be broken, do we know that to be true? I have heard just as many people say the trust has to sell to the highest bidder as have said the owners have to keep the team here. No one has tried to break the lease yet, we all say no, but do we really think there is no, nada, zilch possibility?

No way these guys in Toronto have given up on their dream because people in Buffalo say so. Who's to say just because Pegula or Golisano have tons of money they will match the highest bid? They may have a figure that makes sense that they won't go over. Milwaukee and the clippers had crazy bids and there are more people out there with tons of money we don't even know about.

I a also do not think the sale will include a plan where a new owner has a new stadium in writing or agrees to keep the team here for 20 years, that just won't happen. There are plenty of ways to drive down attendance and turn the fans off to make it look like any move is the fans fault giving the team the blessing of other owners.

I am glad that many can sleep well thinking this is all over, I won't feel that way until a trusted local buyer is in place or a 30 year lease on a new stadium. And even then may not.

Toronto has NOT given up and who know what else is out there and what their plans might be?

Edited by SRQ_BillsFan

Ok then. Let it be said , let it be so. Shut the thread down mods, Bills are 1000% staying, the largest home town discounts in the history of professional sports are 1000% sure of being paid out by any of several possible combinations of otherwise smart, financially successful businessmen and otherwise smart and otherwise successful government leaders. Shut the thread down, because this topic (at least the Bills moving out part) is closed. Training camp is opening, so lets get on with the football !!

Your sarcasm aside, there are a few other topics in this thread besides "will the team move?", such as: is Golisano going to bid on the team?

As to your "hometown discount" comment, why don't we let the process play out before we conclude that? All signs point to quite the competition from what I've seen...

A well-known and relatively popular American to head their evil Canadian organization. Everyone is like "oh hey it's Jon Bon Jovi that great down to earth American rock and roller from Jersey" instead of "oh crap it's those Toronto guys that are buying up all of the sports teams."

Kind of sounds like the plot of "Strange Brew". Minus the guy from NJ.

Sure I agree because they have no choice but to say that. What is long term 2019, 2020? A team in Toronto is a tough sell because of the Bills, especially with a team downtown which is closer to Toronto.

Saying this is a done deal and thinking the trust won't sell to a higher bidder is just being nieve.

Sure there are things in the lease that we feel can't be broken, do we know that to be true? I have heard just as many people say the trust has to sell to the highest bidder as have said the owners have to keep the team here. No one has tried to break the lease yet, we all say no, but do we really think there is no, nada, zilch possibility?

No way these guys in Toronto have given up on their dream because people in Buffalo say so. Who's to say just because Pegula or Golisano have tons of money they will match the highest bid? They may have a figure that makes sense that they won't go over. Milwaukee and the clippers had crazy bids and there are more people out there with tons of money we don't even know about.

I a also do not think the sale will include a plan where a new owner has a new stadium in writing or agrees to keep the team here for 20 years, that just won't happen. There are plenty of ways to drive down attendance and turn the fans off to make it look like any move is the fans fault giving the team the blessing of other owners.

I am glad that many can sleep well thinking this is all over, I won't feel that way until a trusted local buyer is in place or a 30 year lease on a new stadium. And even then may not.

Toronto has NOT given up and who know what else is out there and what their plans might be?

Lets just also remember that the people we know are bidding on the Bills from Toronto are worth about 1/4 what Pegula is worth. In fact Pegula just cashed in on an asset a few months ago that is worth more than the Toronto group alone. This fear that the Toronto group is able to just outbid local buyers is ludicrous. We dont know what Rogers involvement will be. But even he is not as liquid as Pegula. Golisano is worth more than the Toronto group. Local bidders also have the support of the Jacobs family.

The only thing Toronto has is their market. The ability to build a super bowl stadium down the road. But they will not be able to outbid local buyers.

Why does MLSE need/want Jon Bon Jovi. What does he bring to the table?

I think he is actually the driving force of a bid. He is good friends with MLSE. Plus he has a great relationship with NFL owners and Goodell. If I had to guess though, I bet JBJ has orchestrated the whole thing. He has waned to be an owner for a long time. He has owned an AFL team. Im not sure MLSE is passionately seeking an NFL team.

He was a successful AFL owner also.

072708_jovi_getty.jpg

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Golisano said from the start he was buying the Sabres to keep them in western NY, and to make them fiscally sound. He did all that, and turned it over to a committed buyer. Let's see what he says his intentions are for the Bills. Seems to be a man of his word.

Lets just also remember that the people we know are bidding on the Bills from Toronto are worth about 1/4 what Pegula is worth. In fact Pegula just cashed in on an asset a few months ago that is worth more than the Toronto group alone. This fear that the Toronto group is able to just outbid local buyers is ludicrous. We dont know what Rogers involvement will be. But even he is not as liquid as Pegula. Golisano is worth more than the Toronto group. Local bidders also have the support of the Jacobs family.

The only thing Toronto has is their market. The ability to build a super bowl stadium down the road. But they will not be able to outbid local buyers.

I agree that Pegula has the cash to get it done. I'm just not sure how gung-ho he is about being an NFL owner. He has never publicly said that he intends to purchase the Bills, just that he will look at the situation. If he came out and said "I will do whatever it takes to buy the Bills" then this would be a done deal in my mind. Hiring that Sports firm is a good step in the right direction though. I'm just still uncertain on how bad he wants this to happen because if he says he's going all in then it's pretty much a done deal

I don't trust a group led by Toronto businessman to keep the team in WNY long term (post-lease). Nobody, the trust included, knows what would be in these people's hearts and minds versus what they are willing to say. Unless there is a clause as part of the sale that requires the team to stay in Buffalo for 50+ years, none of us should buy what JBJ/MLSE are selling. Having said that, I am still confident the trust sells to a committed buyer that will keep team in WNY. I've said before, no way does Ralph put his wife and niece on trust to have them sell to a group that will move team.

I agree that Pegula has the cash to get it done. I'm just not sure how gung-ho he is about being an NFL owner. He has never publicly said that he intends to purchase the Bills, just that he will look at the situation. If he came out and said "I will do whatever it takes to buy the Bills" then this would be a done deal in my mind. Hiring that Sports firm is a good step in the right direction though. I'm just still uncertain on how bad he wants this to happen because if he says he's going all in then it's pretty much a done deal

Pegula would never come out and say anything. When he bought the Sabres it was completely quiet until he actually agreed to buy the Sabres.

Once he buys the Bills all the stories about him living in Orchard Park and having season tickets will come out. The guy is a Bills fan. His wife is a Bills fan. He has publicly said small markets make the NFL great.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Just to be clear: I mean absolutely no disrespect to Kirby or his sources. In fact, I appreciate his posts.

My point is that I have serious doubts that the Toronto billionaires who have dreamed of the day they could get their hands on the team and move it there had a sudden change of heart. I do believe that they will say/do anything to get their hands on the team, with the idea that they will figure out the rest later.

I know it might seem "impossible" but so does amassing billions of dollars. Guys with that much money don't typically hear or accept "no" for an answer. When presented with a wall, the find a way over, under, around, or through. That's how they became billionaires. When it comes to something they have devoted a decade and hundred million dollars + to, it seems even more hard to believe.

The Bills in Toronto Series had one goal from their perspective: moving the team to Toronto full-time upon Mr. Wilson's passing.

I wouldn't trust anyone in that group. Hopefully it won't come to them buying the team anyway.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Just to be clear: I mean absolutely no disrespect to Kirby or his sources. In fact, I appreciate his posts.

My point is that I have serious doubts that the Toronto billionaires who have dreamed of the day they could get their hands on the team and move it there had a sudden change of heart. I do believe that they will say/do anything to get their hands on the team, with the idea that they will figure out the rest later.

I know it might seem "impossible" but so does amassing billions of dollars. Guys with that much money don't typically hear or accept "no" for an answer. When presented with a wall, the find a way over, under, around, or through. That's how they became billionaires. When it comes to something they have devoted a decade and hundred million dollars + to, it seems even more hard to believe.

The Bills in Toronto Series had one goal from their perspective: moving the team to Toronto full-time upon Mr. Wilson's passing.

I wouldn't trust anyone in that group. Hopefully it won't come to them buying the team anyway.

+1 It's completely illogical to think this Toronto group had a sincere change of heart -- they are positioning themselves to get team and then will work to move it longer term ---

I am waving the white towel on this one. I can't say too much more (I have already said more than I should). If I do post something on here and state it as fact -that is because it is. If there is any conjecture or doubt I keep it off the board. Some will believe me and some won't but I felt a sense of responsibility to pass this one along. It will all play out soon enough and the outcome will be with the Bills in WNY for a long, long time. I guarantee it :)

I am waving the white towel on this one. I can't say too much more (I have already said more than I should). If I do post something on here and state it as fact -that is because it is. If there is any conjecture or doubt I keep it off the board. Some will believe me and some won't but I felt a sense of responsibility to pass this one along. It will all play out soon enough and the outcome will be with the Bills in WNY for a long, long time. I guarantee it :)

I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I trust you have sources, but, unless new owner signs contract to keep team here, I think it's fair to question their longer term motives. You haven't gone as far as to say there would be long term arrangement required for purchase. If there isn't, I think it's fair to say all bets are off until there is one. Right ?

we appreciate your input and we certainly believe it to be true from what you have heard. we just don't agree with the logic. unless there is some sort of legally binding document stating that they will keep the team in WNY for life then it is just common sense to assume that a group from Toronto will want to move the team to Toronto as soon as it can. otherwise they are depriving their city of its best chance at having a team. i can't blame them but at the same time this is OUR TEAM and they need to keep their grubby hands off of it!

there is no way MLSE is truly committed to Buffalo.

They are going to come in saying the right things with a stadium plan, play paddy cake with everyone, "negotiate" on stadium funding, politicians will refuse paying for most/all, they throw their hands up at the end of this lease and move to Toronto.