Golisano to bid on Bills & propose new WS staduim

Either way I think Golisano will be good for the Bills. Hopefully he would keep Whaley and give him time to build this team.

A likely discussion point in the dinner meeting between Golisano, Quinn, and Brandon. I think Golisano ownership would buy time for the current OBD regime (Brandon-Whaley-Marrone) to show what they can do.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things: First Golisano lucked out that the Sabres were good under his ownership. That was when they changed the rules and we put together the right kind of team until they went back to the old style. That was not really a stroke of genius by him, although if you are a results kind of guy, you'd take it. Without the crazy defenseman injuries in all likelihood we win the cup.

The second, more important issue that Buftex, myself and others have brought up is that Golisano's ONLY edict was to NOT lose money. If he applies the exact same business model to owning the Bills we will be spending as much money as we need on players. It would be a fabulous order from the owner to the money guys whoever they are. As fans we would be thrilled by that attitude.

Two things: First Golisano lucked out that the Sabres were good under his ownership. That was when they changed the rules and we put together the right kind of team until they went back to the old style. That was not really a stroke of genius by him, although if you are a results kind of guy, you'd take it. Without the crazy defenseman injuries in all likelihood we win the cup.

The second, more important issue that Buftex, myself and others have brought up is that Golisano's ONLY edict was to NOT lose money. If he applies the exact same business model to owning the Bills we will be spending as much money as we need on players. It would be a fabulous order from the owner to the money guys whoever they are. As fans we would be thrilled by that attitude.

Which is how Ralph ran the team and we called him cheap.

A likely discussion point in the dinner meeting between Golisano, Quinn, and Brandon. I think Golisano ownership would buy time for the current OBD regime (Brandon-Whaley-Marrone) to show what they can do.

Yep, agree

It didn't prevent him from being canonized.

Either way, I don't think it is a given that, should he become owner, Golisano would treat the Bills exactly the same as he treated the Sabres. As has been pointed out, numerous times in this thread, there is a world of difference in owning a NFL team as opposed to an NHL team. NFL teams simply do not lose money...

Edited by Buftex

Well stated. And it's still all about the draft. Hopefully, we will draft well and then keep the guys we develop. Spending money in FA is fool's gold.

This we agree on. ;)

As much as I believe LQ was a bad NHL executive he was very involved in getting the HSBC/FNC built. He is at the top of the list of people responsible for getting it built. And his experience in that could be very helpful in a stadium being built...

As much as I believe LQ was a bad NHL executive he was very involved in getting the HSBC/FNC built. He is at the top of the list of people responsible for getting it built. And his experience in that could be very helpful in a stadium being built...

as long as he does that and stays away from personnel decisions.

Wrong. That is not at all how Ralph ran the team. Ralph made a profit, usually a hefty one, every year. He had no such edict whatsoever about do anything you want just do not lose money, which is what Golisano said.

as long as he does that and stays away from personnel decisions.

Rene Robert recalled a conversation with Quinn a few years ago like this:

Robert: “What’s your background, Larry?”

Quinn: “I’m a land developer.”

Robert: “Do you think I could do your job?”

Quinn: “No, I don’t think you could.”

Robert: “Then what makes you believe you’re a hockey man?

http://dennis-kane.com/tag/rene-robert/

Promo

Im not so sure about that and this isnt meant to be negative on Ralph Wilson......this team hasnt made the playoffs in 10 years for a reason. If the only concern is not losing money then the team could spend on quality coaches (lets face it we have not done that) and not dumpster diving for free agents (we have passed on a lot of free agents that could have helped the team over the past 10 years

Now sometimes....players and coaches are just not worth it....but sometimes they are

Golisano is a businessman. His bottom line is the bottum line. It's kind of ironic however that the Sabres did much better when he owned them pinching pennies (video scouting, Campbell, Drury, Briere, etc) vs Pegula who was spent ridiculous money and has the worst team in the NHL to show for it.

Look their all businessmen, noone is going in this with the intention of losing money. That is not how these guys operate. Each one of them is going to have a budget put in place & they are going to try to win within the perameters of that budget.

Interesting that the dinner meeting happened right before the draft. Maybe it was Brandon running by the draft strategy with the new ownership group. All the tea leaves are pointing to Bills being sold very soon and that the new owner is probably already known.

After his Sabre escapades, if you thought Ralph was cheap, this guy brings it to a new higher level. This is not good news

Hey man, as long as he keeps the team in Buffalo, and out of jon bon jerkoffs hands I'm fine with it. Because he will more then likely sell the team to an owner who will permanently keep the team in Buffalo like he did with the Sabres.

The Bills will continue with their moneyball philosophy tho

Hey man, as long as he keeps the team in Buffalo, and out of jon bon jerkoffs hands I'm fine with it. Because he will more then likely sell the team to an owner who will permanently keep the team in Buffalo like he did with the Sabres.

Just like they weren't going to draft any offensive linemen? B-)

Just like they weren't going to draft any offensive linemen? B-)

Haha. Don't we have 2 1st rounders, 2nd rounders, and a 3rd rounder on our line now?

I think the Steelers and Packers operate with a moneyball philosophy. But you're right. We should be more like the Washington Slurs and cowboys, real deep spenders.