Golisano to bid on Bills & propose new WS staduim

I moved right after the downtown mall opened. It was supposed to revitalize downtown. It didn't last very long, but was full when it 1st opened. Stayed in a hotel downtown for a few months along the river about 3 years ago. I'd see people walking and biking there but nowhere else downtown. But we'd usually head to campus or the short north for dinner and drinks.

I used to live near campus in a place called Clinton township. Back then Campus was not the place to go for dinner and drinks on an expense account and the short north was a war zone. Things change.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just a way for TG to cover himself and say "Well, I tried!"

There is NO WAY he doesn't know how badly the Congel name would play in WNY and CNY

This is one of the many CYA moves local businessmen will make. The $$ doesn't make sense to keep this team here, at least that is what we are going to hear a LOT over the next couple weeks

There is a big difference between the NHL and NFL..The Bills make money by being in the NFL..The Sabres were struggling to stay even money...Cant compare the two..

Well put. I just had this discussion with my father. He didn't buy the Sabres to lose money. He did take them into the playoffs. With the TV revenue, and the new CBA where he has to spend 88% to the cap, he can't pull a Hugh Culverhouse (1st Bucs Owner) who is commonly known as probably the worst NFL owner in the last 50 years.

If Golisano pulls off the Bills, a new stadium, and developed areas around it with a good infrastructure in West Seneca, then I say thumbs up. The most logical choice is NF, downtown, or where BETHLEHEM Steel stands now.

There is NO WAY he doesn't know how badly the Congel name would play in WNY and CNY

This is one of the many CYA moves local businessmen will make. The $$ doesn't make sense to keep this team here, at least that is what we are going to hear a LOT over the next couple weeks

Wow, you are the fun police.

Is this a triple negative?? I had to sketch out a quick flowchart.

It wouldn't be inaccurate to assume that I couldn't exactly not say that it is or isn't almost partially incorrect.

:lol: I wouldn't hate not knowing if the statement didn't make sense but I never like to always agree with your rarely intelligent analysis.

It wouldn't be inaccurate to assume that I couldn't exactly not say that it is or isn't almost partially incorrect.

:lol: I wouldn't hate not knowing if the statement didn't make sense but I never like to always agree with your rarely intelligent analysis.

:wacko:

Golisano is a good man, but he is also an extremely shrewd businessman. He doesn't make too many losing investments. Sure, he's missed a few, but he usually seems to come out the other end a winner (see the Sabres sale for a good example).

I'm sure he feels the duty to put in a bid, especially since he said before that he would do his part "within reason" to help keep the team here. Still, I'm not convinced that he will pony up the cash needed to get it done. He has it, though, if he wants to.

Pegula is our best chance. Most don't realize just how much $$ he has. He would become one of the NFL's richest owners, and they would LOVE to have him as part of the club. Honestly, it's going to take someone like that who just wants to own the team for fun and make a little dough, rather than someone whose primary interest is financial.

what does that mean? What 'finances' are going to be released?

I think he is referring to the cost/value of the team, which is currently being determined by Morgan Stanley. But I've only been loosely following all of this as I really can't keep up and got distracted by the speed racing.

Golisano is a good man, but he is also an extremely shrewd businessman. He doesn't make too many losing investments. Sure, he's missed a few, but he usually seems to come out the other end a winner (see the Sabres sale for a good example).

I'm sure he feels the duty to put in a bid, especially since he said before that he would do his part "within reason" to help keep the team here. Still, I'm not convinced that he will pony up the cash needed to get it done. He has it, though, if he wants to.

Pegula is our best chance. Most don't realize just how much $$ he has. He would become one of the NFL's richest owners, and they would LOVE to have him as part of the club. Honestly, it's going to take someone like that who just wants to own the team for fun and make a little dough, rather than someone whose primary interest is financial.

Chris Trapasso @ChrisTrapasso · 24m

No socks with suit = power move. MT @CitizenMurphy: Tom Golisano is at BK to behonored by students there. No socks.

BpYj3bgIAAAD07u.jpg

No socks with suit = power move. MT @CitizenMurphy: Tom Golisano is at BK to behonored by students there. No socks.

I remember being at a Microsoft developers conference years ago and various product managers and marketing dudes walked out on stage to speak in their expensive suits. The final speaker was Bill Gates, and he walked out in jeans, golf shirt, and sneakers. People were chuckling and joking with each other about it. Gates stopped, looked around and asked "Who do I have to impress?"

Edited by CodeMonkey

Mike Schopp@Schopptalk 4m

Tom Golisano today, reported by the @DandC: The Sabres "were a lot closer to leaving than the Bills are". Report: http://www.democrata...22633/ …

Interesting Comments from Golisano

He criticized the team and its partners for undertaking the current $130 million stadium renovation when a new stadium might be necessary in the near future.

“It doesn’t sound like they did a lot of planning,” he said. “Why go through all that renovation and $130 million when you’re going to build a new stadium anyway?”

that thought has been crossing my mind the deeper we get in this. Mr Wilson is commended for "doing all he can" to ensure the team stays, but if that was true, why wouldnt we be further on our way to a new stadium rather than this current situation in what the NFL deems as a lame duck stadium?