Golisano to bid on Bills & propose new WS staduim

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There used to be a train option to get to the games from at least Syracuse/Rochester, and maybe even Utica/Albany. It was ended because not enough people were using it. It would pick you up at the local train depot, arrive in Buffalo, then buses to the stadium.

Here's one blurb about it....

http://news.google.c...pg=4973,6602274

And another....

http://www.bizjourna...23/daily19.html

Best I can figure out, is it ended around after the 2004 season.

Just curious, do you mean worth as in cost to build? I really think when a new stadium is built, it should be similar to the Lions, Colts, and Texans stadiums. Looking at their costs to build, they were all under $1B.

Ford Field - opened 2002 - Cost $430M ($564M adjusted to 2014)

Lucas Oil Stadium - opened 2008 - Cost $720M ($789M adjusted)

NRG Stadium - opened 2002 - Cost $352M ($462M adjusted)

Those numbers are pre 2008 figures. You'd need over 1 billion to build a domed stadium in WNY. The facility would have to handle the elements here. Look at Dallas, that's the cost we'd be looking at plus some.

Those numbers are pre 2008 figures. You'd need over 1 billion to build a domed stadium in WNY. The facility would have to handle the elements here. Look at Dallas, that's the cost we'd be looking at plus some.

I don't think so. The cost of land in WNY is extremely cheap comparatively. The other numbers don't seem unrealistic. My guess is about $1.2B for the team & $800M for the stadium. I think that $300M will come from PSLs & $500M from the state.

I don't think so. The cost of land in WNY is extremely cheap comparatively. The other numbers don't seem unrealistic. My guess is about $1.2B for the team & $800M for the stadium. I think that $300M will come from PSLs & $500M from the state.

Don't count on the PSL's, look to private equity from an ownership group. I can't see an ownership group depending on such a high risk as the PSL's. They'd need reserve capital for sure.

Don't count on the PSL's, look to private equity from an ownership group. I can't see an ownership group depending on such a high risk as the PSL's. They'd need reserve capital for sure.

The number in my head is 60,000 at an average of $5k (paid over 5 years). If it were my call on that, that is exactly how I would structure it. I would probably have 3 tiers (minimum) of PSL $7500, $5000 & $2500.

The following is cut and pat from NBC's Pro Football Talk.

The tennis player best known for being stabbed during a match by a fan of Steffi Graf and fictitiously taken out by an
could end up owning the Buffalo Bills, in time.

Via the New York Daily News, Monica Seles is engaged to Thomas Golisano, who has emerged as one of the leading candidates to purchase the franchise from the family of the late Ralph Wilson.

Edited by Beerball
Reduced pasted material

the bolded part is where your 'theory' loses all credibility...it's Marcellus Dareus.... :doh:

I think many that read this should take it for what it is, some information for you all.

A Galisano, Pegula team up is what you are looking at here. Don't ask if this is speculation, just know the following:

Galisano has deep political connections at the local and state levels.

Pegula is heavily investing in Buffalo, he's going all in, take that at face value, the Harbor Center is just the beginning.

Galisano needs some heavy lifing on his end in the political arena, Pegula nees some heavy lifing in the same arena.

Marcellus Shale is on the line, and Cuomo is the key. Schumer is a mouth piece, an after thought.

This is the best hope for the Bills here, it's actually the only real hope. Like I said, take it at face value, either you follow the money, or you don't, the choice is yours.

No, IMO the owner needs to put up her/his fair share for the stadium.

That's why I included the adjusted figures for 2014, all three stadiums are still under $1B

Your $800 M figure for a multi-purpose facility sounds reasonable. But I still believe you are understating the cost. It probably will be in the $1.2 B plus range. If you consider that the facility will be ready after the current lease in Orchard Park runs out then you have to factor in that building costs usually go up every year. So now we are talking $1.5 plus for a new facility.

Through no one's fault the public authorities had to contend with the timing of the owner's death and the subsequent estate issues and future ownership. The $130 M spent for the current upgrade could have been more wisely spent on a new facility. Instead now we are looking at the cost of a new stadium on top of the previous expenditure for renovating an outdated facility.

When the fast approaching time comes up to act on the stadium issue don't be surprised if a large segment of the population says there are too many other more important areas to spend public money on. Just something to consider.

I keep thinking that Milstein is going to have to get something out of all this. After all he wasn't buying up Falls property for the ambiance. Here's an idea:

Build the stadium downtown but build a new Bills HQ and training facility in the Falls. Then move training camp there.

There used to be a train option to get to the games from at least Syracuse/Rochester, and maybe even Utica/Albany. It was ended because not enough people were using it. It would pick you up at the local train depot, arrive in Buffalo, then buses to the stadium.

Here's one blurb about it....

http://news.google.c...pg=4973,6602274

And another....

http://www.bizjourna...23/daily19.html

Best I can figure out, is it ended around after the 2004 season.

I took that train once from Albany. It was a terrible experience - you ended up meeting it at 6am at Albany/Rensselaer and got to the stadium at about a half hour before kickoff via a bus transfer from the Transit Rd station. Then you got right back on to the bus after the game, fought traffic, and took the train back - arriving back in Albany around midnight. The number of drunken fools on that train trip back... my lord...

After that, while I still lived in the area, we always drove to the game. Got back around 10pm instead of midnight and didn't need to deal with a ton of riff raff.

Your $800 M figure for a multi-purpose facility sounds reasonable. But I still believe you are understating the cost. It probably will be in the $1.2 B plus range. If you consider that the facility will be ready after the current lease in Orchard Park runs out then you have to factor in that building costs usually go up every year. So now we are talking $1.5 plus for a new facility.

Through no one's fault the public authorities had to contend with the timing of the owner's death and the subsequent estate issues and future ownership. The $130 M spent for the current upgrade could have been more wisely spent on a new facility. Instead now we are looking at the cost of a new stadium on top of the previous expenditure for renovating an outdated facility.

When the fast approaching time comes up to act on the stadium issue don't be surprised if a large segment of the population says there are too many other more important areas to spend public money on. Just something to consider.

I was using the figures Just Jack posted above as the basis. I certainly think that it's possible to do it for $800M after looking at the adjusted costs in Houston, Detroit & Indy.

It will almost assuredly be a combination of public and private funds IMO. The private funds through the sale of PSLs and maybe some other owner contributions depending on the state's portion. Pretty much every new stadium has contained the PSLs because the league allows that revenue to remain with the team if it is for new stadium construction.

The state will be kicking in their fair share for sure. I would think that at least 1/2 will be publicly funded. This will come through a combination of jock tax and perhaps a bed tax on the hotels. Those are standard ways that governments have contributed in other places. In addition, you can work in a portion of the concession revenue earmarked for the stadium build. Maybe something like $.05 of every dollar?

When people think of government contributions they immediately assume they are going to get a bill. There are many ways to contribute that have come about over the last 2 decades or so. The tax dollars used to fund the stadium will come the athletes that play there and the people that come into town. The private funds will come from those that attend the games in the form of PSLs.

I keep thinking that Milstein is going to have to get something out of all this. After all he wasn't buying up Falls property for the ambiance. Here's an idea:

Build the stadium downtown but build a new Bills HQ and training facility in the Falls. Then move training camp there.

Not viable. Traffic flow would impede the tourist trade there. The Falls can sell itself and should get a bi-product boost from a new venue such as a domed stadium, it's just not viable to have it in downtown Niagara Falls. Other portions of Niagara County, further east and south of Niagara Falls are very reasonable however. Especially given the 990 access point combined with the 190 to the north and 290/90 to the west southwest. That area would most likely be the least expensive at this time in infrastructure upgrades. I'd imagine Transit Roads continued make over going north into Lockport could handle initial overflow problems until the 990 is run further through.

Not viable. Traffic flow would impede the tourist trade there. The Falls can sell itself and should get a bi-product boost from a new venue such as a domed stadium, it's just not viable to have it in downtown Niagara Falls. Other portions of Niagara County, further east and south of Niagara Falls are very reasonable however. Especially given the 990 access point combined with the 190 to the north and 290/90 to the west southwest. That area would most likely be the least expensive at this time in infrastructure upgrades. I'd imagine Transit Roads continued make over going north into Lockport could handle initial overflow problems until the 990 is run further through.

I think you are overpaying the Falls traffic card. Are you seriously arguing the Falls can't deal with a couple thousand people at Bills training camp? For heaven's sake it's a tourist area, not some remote island. It is possible to travel in and out by car. :doh:

Edited by PromoTheRobot