Golisano to bid on Bills & propose new WS staduim

that thought has been crossing my mind the deeper we get in this. Mr Wilson is commended for "doing all he can" to ensure the team stays, but if that was true, why wouldnt we be further on our way to a new stadium rather than this current situation in what the NFL deems as a lame duck stadium?

It's a tough call...he probably didn't want to put down his own money when it wouldn't be built (or possibly even planned) in his lifetime, and at the same time thought it prudent not to saddle the future owner with a new stadium that may not meet with their approval.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting Comments from Golisano

I believe that the intention of that $130 million is to at least buy us time given the language of the lease. Edited by Peter

It's a tough call...he probably didn't want to put down his own money when it wouldn't be built (or possibly even planned) in his lifetime, and at the same time thought it prudent not to saddle the future owner with a new stadium that may not meet with their approval.

I could see the last phrase.

The first one, we are theorizing that the trust could possibly leave a moderate heap of money on the table for a local interest vs Ben Jobie. With a new stadium in the works, wouldnt the team overall be more valuable to a local owner?

I could see the last phrase.

The first one, we are theorizing that the trust could possibly leave a moderate heap of money on the table for a local interest vs Ben Jobie. With a new stadium in the works, wouldnt the team overall be more valuable to a local owner?

Perhaps...there's also the question of how much the state/county would chip in with such an uncertain ownership situation. Again, I'm not well-versed enough in all the factors at play to speak to them; I'm just postulating.

Well, Golisano has a very good point. I have no doubt that the land that Congel could bring to the table is his reason for sitting at it.

All that said, funny how locals all seem to kind of feel like, "a new stadium isn't necessary, we have one already". I agree to an extent. But I do recall, after Mr Wilsons' passing, Goodell making some comment about the Bills "need" a new stadium to ensure their future in WNY. Now, did he mean "need" in the sense that the team should be playing in a more state of the art facility...or did he mean "need" in the sense that without a new stadium, there is a good chance an owner intending to keep the team in Buffalo, will not neccessarilly be approved by the required number of "partners" (ie: owners), if that new perspective owner plans to have the team remain playing at RWS.

From the tone of the comments from Golisano, it sounds like he might be having some doubts?

Let me ask, suppose Golisano and Congel were the finalist to be the new owners...we are assuming that Golisano would be approved, but what about Congel? Could Congel be a deal breaker from the NFL's POV?

Edited by Buftex

I believe that the intention of that $130 million is to at least buy us time given the language of the lease.

What Tom seems to not understand vis-a-vis the $130 million is that half of that spending is just to shore up the Ralph's aging infrastructure to get it through to the end of the lease. That deferred maintenance had to be done regardless of where/if a new stadium is built.

The other half, which could be considered 'lipstick on the pig,' will nevertheless enhance the gameday experience for the next 6-7 years...and in the grand scheme of things, $65 million isn't that big a deal, given the $130 billion the state spends every year...

Apparently Congel is not part of Golisano's plans. Given the bad things many have said about him, good.

"I don 't know who put it out there, I don't know who perpetuated it, but I have not had any partnership conversations with Congel. I know him and we've talked a little bit about the problem, but that's as far as it goes. This is something the media made up," Golisano said.

I remember looking for Easton right when we moved to Columbus, and got it confused with Eastland mall, which is/was this ghetto mall just east of downtown. When I went to Eastland, there were like 5 suit shops that only sold pimp suits and fedoras and I saw one guy wrestled to the ground for shop lifting.

It was pretty humorous in hindsight after I found Easton, which is pretty affluent and nice.

Haha yes quite a difference between eastland and Easton. Despite the affluent appeal of Easton, they've had some trouble in recent years of riff raff migrating there. There was even a shooting there maybe 2 yrs ago? Couple teenagers if I remember correctly. After that they started aggressively clearing out anything that looked like loitering groups of youths / gang activity.

I remember looking for Easton right when we moved to Columbus, and got it confused with Eastland mall, which is/was this ghetto mall just east of downtown. When I went to Eastland, there were like 5 suit shops that only sold pimp suits and fedoras and I saw one guy wrestled to the ground for shop lifting.

It was pretty humorous in hindsight after I found Easton, which is pretty affluent and nice.

Pretty accurate.

Haha yes quite a difference between eastland and Easton. Despite the affluent appeal of Easton, they've had some trouble in recent years of riff raff migrating there. There was even a shooting there maybe 2 yrs ago? Couple teenagers if I remember correctly. After that they started aggressively clearing out anything that looked like loitering groups of youths / gang activity.

Yep since Easton was built between the ghetto and one of the most affluent suburbs in Central Ohio, as well as being a tourist trap of sorts for the state and beyond, it is always good for people watching and quite the mixed bag. The other day I walked past a Maserati Quattroporte next to a Ferrari, both casually parked at meters outside Nordstrom but across Morse Rd. is what I think the trashiest Wal Mart in Columbus. I have nothing against WalMart, except for this one.

This is absurd. What possibly could be going through Monica Seles' mind? I would think she already has a lot of money.

This is the craziest thing I have ever heard.

(By the way, I didn't realize Golisano is so old-- isn't that a concern for a new owner?).

There may not be a lot of 40-50 year old billionaires who want to buy the team, and keep them in Buffalo. But you never know...wouldn't it be weird if Monica Seles one day owned the Bills?

Still got my fingers crossed for Pegula or one of the Jacobs heirs... but Golisano, I believe, would buy the team, and take whatever necessary steps there are, to ensure that they are in WNY for a long, long time to come. From the comments he made, he seems very concerned with his legacy in WNY. All the joking about his cheapness aside, he is known also for being extremely charitable.

Edited by Buftex