Update on renovations to The Ralph

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a shame that the Ralph won't have a team regularly playing in it within a decade. It's actually starting to look nice with all the work they are putting into it.

Edited by Fingon

I know it looks like a mess now, but honestly they look pretty darn far along. No question they'll be done by mid-July even if weather conditions are horrible throughout the summer (in which case they'd simply bring more crews on site).

Can't help thinking this is such folly. Why bother with all this expense and upgrade if the League is mandating a new venue. This seems so foolish

Gotta get through the lease.

Gotta get through the lease.

Well, sure, I get that. But it's still a concrete relic from a bygone era. All the expensive lipstick in the world doesn't disguise this fact. I just remember all the serious bitching from the late '60's/early '70's about the ridiculous cost of Rich Stadium and how economics alone thwarted a dome back then. These upgrades trump the initial cost (pun) for what amounts to possibly no more than 48 games/hours of use through the next 6 years.. Nice? Absolutely. Just ridiculous, IMO.

Well, sure, I get that. But it's still a concrete relic from a bygone era. All the expensive lipstick in the world doesn't disguise this fact. I just remember all the serious bitching from the late '60's/early '70's about the ridiculous cost of Rich Stadium and how economics alone thwarted a dome back then. These upgrades trump the initial cost (pun) for what amounts to possibly no more than 48 games/hours of use through the next 6 years.. Nice? Absolutely. Just ridiculous, IMO.

Hindsight though. Would we be having this conversation if Ralph didn't pass?

Also don't get the black. Have to wait I guess to see the completed paint job. Not sure "monumental" would be the first thing to pop into my head to describe the new stairs - but any change for the positive is good. Looking forward to more bathrooms more than anything...

Can't help thinking this is such folly. Why bother with all this expense and upgrade if the League is mandating a new venue. This seems so foolish

I really don't think "the league" is "mandating" anything. The Gingerhammer made comments in favor of a new stadium. He works for all the owners collectively. Owners will always be in favor of new stadiums. I really don't think a retrofit is off the table. Yet. But we've got a lot to get through before it's worth being concerned about that.

I also don't like the black but I guess I'll just have to see it when it's finished. I'm thinking the black we see now looks like a lot but the amounts of blue, red, and white that'll be in there are going to drown it out a little.

I'm sure the black is just a base for something else. I am not a structural engineer, but I would think black paint would soak up too much heat and possibly do damage to the structure that already goes through enough harsh elements in the wintertime.

I'm sure the black is just a base for something else. I am not a structural engineer, but I would think black paint would soak up too much heat and possibly do damage to the structure that already goes through enough harsh elements in the wintertime.

...but you DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

"Refurbishing The Ralph is slapping paint on a crumbling pile of rocks". (Jerry Sullivan, 5/22/14)

I really don't think "the league" is "mandating" anything. The Gingerhammer made comments in favor of a new stadium. He works for all the owners collectively. Owners will always be in favor of new stadiums. I really don't think a retrofit is off the table. Yet. But we've got a lot to get through before it's worth being concerned about that.

A retrofit may not be officially off the table, but it's so far back-burner that it's not even on the stove anymore. Does a day go by where there's no media outlet reporting named League sources, NYS politicos or prospective new ownership NOT talking about a new stadium? Pay rolled committees are formed with this sole purpose in mind. Orchard Park is a nice community, but would ANYONE plan to go there, were it not for Bills games? Of course not. Buffalo city proper or Niagara Falls are the big cities in the area and they make the most sense for a new stadium being erected there. Personally, I never understood the Southtowns location, with the exception of egress, because there's NOTHING there. The Ralph is a wonderful football arena. The locale it's in is forgettable at best.

I agree that some enhancements had to be done in the interim, it is just unfortunate that it took so long to make improvements that the majority of fans can enjoy, instead of pouring millions over the years into club seating/suites(which have been undersold), and other amenities not seen by the majority of fans.

A retrofit may not be officially off the table, but it's so far back-burner that it's not even on the stove anymore. Does a day go by where there's no media outlet reporting named League sources, NYS politicos or prospective new ownership NOT talking about a new stadium? Pay rolled committees are formed with this sole purpose in mind. Orchard Park is a nice community, but would ANYONE plan to go there, were it not for Bills games? Of course not. Buffalo city proper or Niagara Falls are the big cities in the area and they make the most sense for a new stadium being erected there. Personally, I never understood the Southtowns location, with the exception of egress, because there's NOTHING there. The Ralph is a wonderful football arena. The locale it's in is forgettable at best.

I don't disagree and am personally in favor of anything that makes my drive to and from ROC easier on game days. I'm just pointing out that the commish HAS to beat the drum for a new stadium. While everyone IS talking new stadium, the issue is too far down the line for anybody to worry about too much right now. The ownership question needs to be settled first. I'm sure the stadium question will follow soon after.

The Black is used for covering up the aged stadium and its many faults, plus it is cordinated with the store front and the gates.

I think it makes The Ralph look a bit more intimidating for visiting teams, not that Tom Brady will be scared.

"Refurbishing The Ralph is slapping paint on a crumbling pile of rocks". (Jerry Sullivan, 5/22/14)

"Why are we wasting money on a new stadium when the old one is perfectly fine?" (Jerry Sullivan, 2020)

Most of the $$$ being spent is on stuff you can't see like plumbing and structural support. Want another sewer line rupture during a game?

The Black is used for covering up the aged stadium and its many faults, plus it is cordinated with the store front and the gates.

I think it makes The Ralph look a bit more intimidating for visiting teams, not that Tom Brady will be scared.

I don't know. I think it already looked like some type of state prison. lol. And to think when I was a kid the stadium looked like a palace to me. Especially compared to the rock pile. Now the Ralph looks old and raggedy like the rock pile.

Edited by purple haze

"Why are we wasting money on a new stadium when the old one is perfectly fine?" (Jerry Sullivan, 2020)

Most of the $$$ being spent is on stuff you can't see like plumbing and structural support. Want another sewer line rupture during a game?

haha. Yes. I can see JS saying that already.

And in all fairness, the only reason for the ruptured sewer line was because they had already started work on it. If they didn't start updating already, it wouldn't have been an issue.

I know the popular idea is a new mega palace sitting at the brink of The Falls so the Super Bowl, NCAA Final 4 and maybe I missed it the World Series can be held there. BUT, In reality it's a football stadium in WNY, if it's structurally sound why not just do a Arrowhead redo? Anybody that thinks I'm thinking small I'm being practical I doubt the people in KC or Green Bay are waiting for the SB to show up.

Jerry Sullivan is really stretching it to call the Ralph a "crumbling pile of rocks".

Yes, it is out dated in many ways, but it is not falling down.

Yes, it is not state of the art - some of that is being addressed now.

I am not opposed to a new stadium, but I am also OK with a renovated "Ralph".

Black? Weird. Any engineers on here? How long would it take to just remove the entire seating area, concourses, restrooms, plumbing and that ridiculous administration building and build a new stadium on the current site? Basically just rebuild what they had but with open, wider concourses, new restrooms and concessions, luxury boxes, locker rooms. Footprint is already there. Scoreboards are new, put those back up. Field is new. Just work from the new renovations in.

Black? Weird. Any engineers on here? How long would it take to just remove the entire seating area, concourses, restrooms, plumbing and that ridiculous administration building and build a new stadium on the current site? Basically just rebuild what they had but with open, wider concourses, new restrooms and concessions, luxury boxes, locker rooms. Footprint is already there. Scoreboards are new, put those back up. Field is new. Just work from the new renovations in.

If you are spend that kind of money and start over don't you want something better than the Ralph?

The deal was made before Ralph passed and was part of the plan to try and make a successor stay in Buffalo, at least for a short period of time. If it helps to keep the Bills in Buffalo then it will be money well spent.

Lipstick on a pig. I have great memories from 80's and 90's but go to any modern stadium and you won't want to watch the Bills play a home game. Bathrooms are disgusting. There is no room to walk. Food is average. Even in the Jim Kelly club the beef on weck was cold. Very disappointing. Beer selection could be better.

Guys please go to a new venue and see what you are missing. Tear down the Ralph. Build a 64,000 seat stadium on the waterfront and raise the ticket prices 25%. Add high quality food and beverage items. I'm not saying every other stadium is better but Seattle and Arizona offered much better experiences. I'm going to Bears-Bills but I don't expect it will be much better than RW.

Worst stadium ever though was Metrodome. The concourses could not have allowed more than 5 people side by side. Actually was a bit scary.