Chris Gragg might surprise everyone

I've been thinking we need a TE badly and thought Ebron might be a Bill on draft day, and I was looking into Chris Gragg our 7th round pick last year.

The guy dominated the combine last year for his position, and is faster than any TE in the draft this year. He took first for TE's in the 40yd with a 4.5 (which is what Robert Woods ran and he's fast), and first in the vertical, broad jump and the 3 cone drill. I was reading that he dropped so far in the draft because he had several injuries in college that slowed him down, but if we don't resign Chandler this guy might be a sleeper for us next year.

I know that combine numbers don't always translate to game speed, but 4.5 is remarkable for a 250 pounder, and they say he has good hands. He's got a year under his belt, and saw some playing time last year. Somebody coach this guy up on his blocking skills and teach him how to run the seams like Gronk and Vernon Davis.

We have a QB who isn't super accurate, and big receiving targets with speed are a far better idea than little targets with speed.

Gragg Draft Profile:

Straight-line speed helps him separate from linebackers in the middle of the field, Possesses receiver-like hands, adjusting to poor throws and going up to snatch passes above his head. Strong runner after the catch, churning through and spinning off tackles to maximize the play. Gives good effort as an in-line and downfield blocker.

I'm not going out to buy my Gragg jersey yet, but Stevie came from the 7th round and made a big impact, maybe this kid can do the same.

What if chandler doesnt come back, Moeaki is still slowed by injuries and gragg doesn't pan out and ebron is the best player on the board?

there are 9+ better players than him, including:

robinson, clowney, watkins, matthews, mack, lewan, evans, bridgewater, barr

this means that it is impossible for him to be the best player on the board at 9

The only knock i can see is he is only 6' 3" tall so in my eyes if he is that fast then put him out wide .

We need a BIG TE like Chandler 6' 7" tall or at least 6' 4" tall so he can be a more viable threat in the red zone .

We have enough 6' 2 or 3" guys we need size at WR & TE !! Unless he plays like Boldin does a 6' 3" guy that plays big as Whaley says !!

Edited by T master

I think Chandler was still being cautious last season recovering from acl. 6' 7" is a big target when healthy.

"Chandler ranked 13th among NFL tight ends in catches last season with 53, for 655 yards. That was despite the fact he missed all offseason work recovering from knee surgery."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/bills-look-to-sign-chandler-carpenter-as-free-agent-period-set-to-begin-20140310

Edited by ALF

A guy I work with, a football guy, is from Gragg's hometown. He said he's watched Gragg through HS and in college, Basically says the dude is a stud and don't be surprised if he makes an im-pact 2-3 years down the road.

He's had 2 pretty bad knee injuries because he sells out for poorly thrown balls and is balls to the wall to make plays. Admittedly, I've never seen him play aside from highlight reels, which make everyone look good.

So, I'm in the same boat...hopeing for a surprise.

Cragg couldn't bump Lee Smith, a guy who looks and plays like a fan who won a contest, out of the number 2 TE spot.

Well, to be fair... he was a late draft pick. So if anything it'll take him a year or two to bust into relevance. Not many late round picks earn a starting spot their first year.

Well, to be fair... he was a late draft pick. So if anything it'll take him a year or two to bust into relevance. Not many late round picks earn a starting spot their first year.

That and Gragg isn't a blocker, like Lee Smith is supposed to be, and they already had a receiving TE in Chandler. As for Ebron, his drop rate is alarming.

That and Gragg isn't a blocker, like Lee Smith is supposed to be, and they already had a receiving TE in Chandler. As for Ebron, his drop rate is alarming.

Historically he isn't... but I want to say he had the best blocking ratings among our TEs during preseason. I remember reading something about it and being utterly surprised. Of course going back and trying to find that sort of stuff is difficult, but I'll see what I can do.

Well, here's one reference:

http://forums.twobil...reseason-stats/

Edit: I should note, I'm not arguing that Gragg is our starter going forward. He's a project. A late round pick. Not expected to make any noise right away. To me he's shown some good things, and I feel he *could* work out. But we shouldn't depend on it, and we should still address the TE position this off season.

Edited by Dorkington

He's competing agaisnt Lee Smith....Mr. Irrelevance. Why would it matter his draft position? Coaches see him all year--he's either better than Smith or he's not.

He's competing agaisnt Lee Smith....Mr. Irrelevance. Why would it matter his draft position? Coaches see him all year--he's either better than Smith or he's not.

I agree, draft position does not matter. But L. Smith better filled the necessary blocking role. If the O-Line didn't require as much help, maybe Gragg does see the field more.

I agree, draft position does not matter. But L. Smith better filled the necessary blocking role. If the O-Line didn't require as much help, maybe Gragg does see the field more.

It wasn't necessarily the O-line that needed the help...

Whatever happened to giving rookies time to develop? SJ13 only had 12 receptions total in his first two years. Does that mean he is a worse player than Roscoe Parrish and Josh Reed? Or does it just mean that a rookie who is likely a project, and hence taken late in the draft, needs time to develop?

I saw Gragg last year, could not catch at all. Reports of good hands are inaccurate. He caught a few at clean up time, but he caught none thrown his way when the DB's were actively covering him. I think we need Chandler and one new one.

Edited by bigK14094

A guy I work with, a football guy, is from Gragg's hometown. He said he's watched Gragg through HS and in college, Basically says the dude is a stud and don't be surprised if he makes an im-pact 2-3 years down the road.

He's had 2 pretty bad knee injuries because he sells out for poorly thrown balls and is balls to the wall to make plays. Admittedly, I've never seen him play aside from highlight reels, which make everyone look good.

So, I'm in the same boat...hopeing for a surprise.

No offense but he sounds like a homer

Whatever happened to giving rookies time to develop? SJ13 only had 12 receptions total in his first two years. Does that mean he is a worse player than Roscoe Parrish and Josh Reed? Or does it just mean that a rookie who is likely a project, and hence taken late in the draft, needs time to develop?

Haha. If you don't produce in your first year, you're a bust!!! I don't care if you're drafted in the 7th round. Bust. I got dibs on our first round pick. i'm the first to call him (or her) a BUST!!!

No offense but he sounds like a homer

He played for one of the best college teams in the country and got drafted in the NFL. I'm sure he was a stud in high school.

there are 9+ better players than him, including:

robinson, clowney, watkins, matthews, mack, lewan, evans, bridgewater, barr

this means that it is impossible for him to be the best player on the board at 9

It's questionable that Lewan, Evans and Barr are better prospects than Ebron. I think Ebron is going to be a great pro and I would not pass over him over any of those players. The rankings start getting muddled after the first 6 or 7 players that everyone pretty much agrees upon. Also, I think that Evans has a higher bust potential than does Ebron. In the history of the NFL, there have been very few elite WRs with his big body type. Another thing about Evans that I'm nervous about is that he seems like a player which NFL CBs could get under his skin.

Edited by 1billsfan

I've been thinking we need a TE badly and thought Ebron might be a Bill on draft day, and I was looking into Chris Gragg our 7th round pick last year.

The guy dominated the combine last year for his position, and is faster than any TE in the draft this year. He took first for TE's in the 40yd with a 4.5 (which is what Robert Woods ran and he's fast), and first in the vertical, broad jump and the 3 cone drill. I was reading that he dropped so far in the draft because he had several injuries in college that slowed him down, but if we don't resign Chandler this guy might be a sleeper for us next year.

I know that combine numbers don't always translate to game speed, but 4.5 is remarkable for a 250 pounder, and they say he has good hands. He's got a year under his belt, and saw some playing time last year. Somebody coach this guy up on his blocking skills and teach him how to run the seams like Gronk and Vernon Davis.

We have a QB who isn't super accurate, and big receiving targets with speed are a far better idea than little targets with speed.

Gragg Draft Profile:

Straight-line speed helps him separate from linebackers in the middle of the field, Possesses receiver-like hands, adjusting to poor throws and going up to snatch passes above his head. Strong runner after the catch, churning through and spinning off tackles to maximize the play. Gives good effort as an in-line and downfield blocker.

I'm not going out to buy my Gragg jersey yet, but Stevie came from the 7th round and made a big impact, maybe this kid can do the same.

I'm with you on his upside. He was widely regarded as top TE in college football going into his last year, even ahead of Eifert, until injuries derailed his season. Bring in Pettigrew to be part of a 2 TE offense with him being the blocker and possession guy and Gragg stretching the D on the other side. That would help open the run game and the WRs up.

I'm fine drafting Ebron, but I've cooled more on him given his drop rate. Would rather see us pick up Pettigrew and work on developing Gragg and Moeaki then use out draft pick on Mack, OT, or Big WR.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I don't dislike Chris Gragg, but have questions. How can the Bills have so many injuries to receivers and TE's last year and yet this guy has a grand total of 5 catches; 4 of which came in just one game? There has to be something that's not quite right with his game where the team has decided not to put him on the field. Does he drop passes? Is his route running not up to par? I don't know the answer here, but there's obviously something holding him back from contributing.