Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

Am I the only one that doesn't necessarily want Byrd back at this point at $8.5M+? I just think that $ would be better allocated to OL & a run stuffing LB. I like Byrd as a player a lot and think that he is 1 of the best safeties in the league. I just don't think that it is wise to make the kind of investment at S that would be necessary. The Bills would have 2 of the top 10 paid safeties in football once Williams' extension kicks in.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree KJ.

Fill the holes with some decent players, and draft talented guys. To me, the idea is to have dependable players at every position, and feature whatever special talents you can draft. Maybe Safety won't be the strength of the team now....so be it.

Just wanted to congratulate all of you for helping this thread hit 100 pages...

It may surprise some...But after listening to the callers on WGR and Murph's show tonight I think we're dealing with at least the top 10% of Bills fans as far as intelligent opinion is concerned right here in this thread...

It may not be perfect...but it could be worse...A LOT worse... ;)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Am I the only one that doesn't necessarily want Byrd back at this point at $8.5M+? I just think that $ would be better allocated to OL & a run stuffing LB. I like Byrd as a player a lot and think that he is 1 of the best safeties in the league. I just don't think that it is wise to make the kind of investment at S that would be necessary. The Bills would have 2 of the top 10 paid safeties in football once Williams' extension kicks in.

For me at least, the Byrd signing has a lot more to do with the Bills ability to keep their best players than whether or not I think it's a good idea to spend $8-9 million per year on a FS with PF in both feet...

I think it's more than legitimate to make the argument that the money could be better spent...I think it's possible Byrd has peaked, the PF will continue to bother him, and by the time we get two years into the deal he'll be greatly over-payed...I also think it's probable Byrd plays at close-to-the-same-level for at least another 2-3 years, so if you pack most of the cash into the first three years it softens the risk...I think all in all it's better for the team to keep him, but the argument to let him go and use that money to sign a couple good mid-tier vets is legit no question...

That's what makes this deal so polarizing...There are real good arguments on both sides... B-)

For me at least, the Byrd signing has a lot more to do with the Bills ability to keep their best players than whether or not I think it's a good idea to spend $8-9 million per year on a FS with PF in both feet...

I think it's more than legitimate to make the argument that the money could be better spent...I think it's possible Byrd has peaked, the PF will continue to bother him, and by the time we get two years into the deal he'll be greatly over-payed...I also think it's probable Byrd plays at close-to-the-same-level for at least another 2-3 years, so if you pack most of the cash into the first three years it softens the risk...I think all in all it's better for the team to keep him, but the argument to let him go and use that money to sign a couple good mid-tier vets is legit no question...

That's what makes this deal so polarizing...There are real good arguments on both sides... B-)

What I get from this thread, is that many fans see this as some kind of litmus test of the Bills commitment to winning.

I don't.

I see it as them trying to make a good decision in this particular instance, and I'm not gonna hold the past against them.

Gilmore-McKelvin-Robey-Byrd-Williams would be like our own Legion of Boom. I think we can make due without him, but if we can keep him that'd be cool too.

They had them last season, and finished 6-10.

The drop off with a decent safety won't be drastic. With the remaining guys having gained experience, and no Justin Rogers, it should still be a strong unit.

What I get from this thread, is that many fans see this as some kind of litmus test of the Bills commitment to winning.

That's the crux of the issue. A segment of posters on here are beating the drum that the Bills should make what they believe to be a bad football decision in signing a player at a position they may not need to spend type of money in order to show 'They can keep their own players' and 'Are committed to winning'. It means neither of those things. In fact, if they made the decision based on either of those factors then it would be the same as the people who believe Littmann decides what players they sign based on money.

The question isn't whether Byrd is better. Is Byrd enough of an upgrade over an upgrade somewhere else like receiver, offensive line or tight end?

Edited by jeremy2020

Two people familiar with a portion of the Bills' contract offer said Byrd stood to make about $30 million over the first three seasons of a multiyear deal. The full length and value of the contract; including guaranteed money; were not revealed.

http://pro32.ap.org/article/ap-source-s-byrd-drawing-pre-free-agency-interest

Edited by papazoid

If you need a litmus test to see if the Bills are committed to winning.....after FOURTEEN YEARS out of the playoffs......you might be a bit indecisive :lol: .

After watching ESPN and NFL Network I get the feeling that the Free Agent period will be quiet in terms of huge contracts. No stars are on the market. Byrd may not get the big bucks he as envisioning.

Alright brain trust

How many hours in to free agency (4pm est) will it take for Byrd to sign somewhere? And I'm saying ESPN text verification. Thatsbas official as it gets because they don't text BS.

I say Thursday 6pm est

Alright brain trust

How many hours in to free agency (4pm est) will it take for Byrd to sign somewhere? And I'm saying ESPN text verification. Thatsbas official as it gets because they don't text BS.

I say Thursday 6pm est

Thursday, 6:01pm est...

Alright brain trust

I say Thursday 6pm est

Thursday 5:59 EST.

Edited by reddogblitz

telling ya! This is amazing! 150 pages for sure when he gets signed here or elsewhere

If Byrd actually re-signs with the Bills, I wouldn't be surprised if this thread hits 200.

If Byrd signs with another team, it'll probably go to 120 and then people won't give a damn anymore.

Alright brain trust

I say Thursday 6pm est

Now we are trying to predict when it will be reported when Byrd will sign a contract? :lol:

I Love TBD!

GO BILLS!!!!!

Alright brain trust

I say Thursday 6pm est

I also say 6pm on Thursday.

what is the record? Mario?

That would be my guess. That was not bumped up by these artificial guess the time posts.............Only 100 or so "Ground up and in the freezer" ones - those were legit!