Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

yea, even if he leaves, i wouldnt be shocked if theres a little bit of fake money tagged on the end for the sake of "highest paid" even if its not expected to be earned and forces him to be a free agent after 3-4 years. ive been in the camp that suspects on the open market hed be around 10, but that the averages with what amounts to a team option year at the end would be a little higher than that -- and that possibly we were trying to get that year or two on the back end cheap to average out in the 9s even if it starts at 10m for a few years(and parker would rather one last crack at free agency before he signs off on a deal structured that way).

youd have to think hed have a pretty good idea what would be on the table, given they were allowed to talk to other teams last year, and im sure spoke with other teams even at the combine.

Right...

I have no doubt Parker will try to make certain the deal looks amazing on paper no matter where he signs...The truth is, any salary figure after the first three years of this deal is going to be prime picking for cap cutting no matter where Byrd goes...At that point he's a 31 year old Safety who has never been the fastest guy anyway, and admittedly has suffered from PI in both feet...I realize not everybody is going to look at it this way...But to me what really matters in the Byrd deal is the signing bonus and the first three years...I can't imagine the Bills are going to insult Byrd with less than the $22 million guaranteed Dashon Goldston got last year...

So...Anyway...To me at least...If Byrd signs a deal that pays him less than the reported $30 million over the first three years it's probably not as good a deal...Because the chances he plays year 4 of any deal he gets this year is 50/50 at best...So if he does that it's as simple as wanting to play elsewhere...And considering the Bills record since he's been here it's really tough to blame the guy for that... B-)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

how did i never hear about byrds speed as an issue over the last 5 years and suddenly ive heard about it 20 times in the last week

I've been harping on it since his college days. It's why he's not a CB in the NFL.

GO BILLS!!!

Right...

I have no doubt Parker will try to make certain the deal looks amazing on paper no matter where he signs...The truth is, any salary figure after the first three years of this deal is going to be prime picking for cap cutting no matter where Byrd goes...At that point he's a 31 year old Safety who has never been the fastest guy anyway, and admittedly has suffered from PI in both feet...I realize not everybody is going to look at it this way...But to me what really matters in the Byrd deal is the signing bonus and the first three years...I can't imagine the Bills are going to insult Byrd with less than the $22 million guaranteed Dashon Goldston got last year...

So...Anyway...To me at least...If Byrd signs a deal that pays him less than the reported $30 million over the first three years it's probably not as good a deal...Because the chances he plays year 4 of any deal he gets this year is 50/50 at best...So if he does that it's as simple as wanting to play elsewhere...And considering the Bills record since he's been here it's really tough to blame the guy for that... B-)

maybe. like i said, if we went downhill in pay towards the end, a situation where wed expect him to play out the contract with the last 2-3 years considered affordable instead of a bunch of team options theyd love to have picked up for crazy money but be still ok hitting free agency.... Eugene mightve preferred a deal geared to get him cut after 3 years to see one more shot at free agency and more total dollars over 5-6 years than a lifetime contract.

im still curious what the back half of that bills offer was, as 30m in 3 years sounds pretty hard to pass - unless there was something hidden in the reports.... or they are just THAT confident.

maybe. like i said, if we went downhill in pay towards the end, a situation where wed expect him to play out the contract with the last 2-3 years considered affordable instead of a bunch of team options theyd love to have picked up for crazy money but be still ok hitting free agency.... Eugene mightve preferred a deal geared to get him cut after 3 years to see one more shot at free agency and more total dollars over 5-6 years than a lifetime contract.

im still curious what the back half of that bills offer was, as 30m in 3 years sounds pretty hard to pass - unless there was something hidden in the reports.... or they are just THAT confident.

Maybe it's just that...Who knows...Lots of unanswered questions still I guess... B-)

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say the roughly $30m in 3yrs was highly incentive with a base much much lower. I think the way the negotiations went last year followed by his sitting out, waiting to be 100%, likely left more than a few people in the FO not wanting to guarantee him anything unless he guaranteed a certain amount of playing time, off season time, etc.

He`s sees that E.J. is not a super bowl bound Q.B. and wants outta here. This is my take. E.J. has to step up this year bigtime,to prove his doubters wrong.

Nope, it's about the money with Byrd.

And now this...

Albert Breer@AlbertBreer 5m

Word is that Jairus Byrd's asking price has scared some teams off. He's looking for more than $8 million per year, and may well get it.

ESPN also said that his asking price is too much from what they've heard (Polian, Schefter and, um, that other guy ;). They said "He wants $8MM - $9MM, that's Troy Polamalu money and he ain't Troy Polamalu".

Guess we'll know more in 24 hours or so...

ESPN also said that his asking price is too much from what they've heard (Polian, Schefter and, um, that other guy ;). They said "He wants $8MM - $9MM, that's Troy Polamalu money and he ain't Troy Polamalu".

Guess we'll know more in 24 hours or so...

He's isn't just not Polamalu, either.

GO BILLS!!!