Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

y'all need to remember us shlubs that ain't got no internet abilities and post some of these articles.

That and someone see what Mary Kay Cabot or whoever the Cleveland Plain Dealer beat writer is - Mary Kay somrthing. And what's she saying about Browns/Byrd? She said they made no contact with him, last I heard.

can we just go ahead and ban links that contain byrd highlight reels? i didnt enjoy watching all those plays.

2nded

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

might that imply that our roughly 30m in 3 years was either inaccurate or quickly fell off in pay after that? it did strike me as odd that there were the 10m rumors but that it was always in a window, and described as simply one of the highest paid... 10m per year i thought wouldve garnered more attention as being noteworthy.

What was reported was $30 m guaranteed over the first 3 years. We don't know how many total years were offered - certainly more than three - or the average salary over the term. Nothing inconsistent at all here

What was reported was $30 m guaranteed over the first 3 years. We don't know how many total years were offered - certainly more than three - or the average salary over the term. Nothing inconsistent at all here

the "guarantee" part was not reported.

it only said 30 mil over first 3 years with no mention of the guaranteed part.

i'm hoping no offer comes in higher than the bills offer, Parker reaches back out to buffalo, but the bills tell them they have moved on.

Better weather, a team that's closer to success, and either as much, or more money? Why would I hate him for that?

Really...

0-2 vs. the 6-10 Bills...Beat twice by our back-up QB...2nd game shutout in Buffalo 19-0...

Does not sound that much closer to me to be honest... B-)

Either Buffalo didn't make an offer consistent with what Parker believed Byrd was worth or the player was not re-signing with Buffalo. I'm interested to know how much guaranteed money was in that release the Bills put out about 3 years and 30M via back door channels. Something doesn't wash about it.

I think way too much is being made over the word "guaranteed" where those first three years are concerned...

OK...The rumored deal is not a guaranteed $30 million over the first three years, rather a payout of $30 million over the first three years...

There is no way Byrd is going to accept much less than around $24 million guaranteed (Dashon Goldson got $22 million from Tampa last year)...

There is also no way the Bills are going to make the kind of commitment $20 million plus guaranteed requires without the hope (or maybe even prayer) that Byrd will play at very least the first three seasons of the deal...You're not going to shell out that kind of guaranteed cash with any thought whatsoever about getting out of the deal in one or two years...

Granted we know nothing about the last 2-4 years of the Bills offer...And that may very well have been the holdup to getting a deal done...No question...But the AP reported the payout was $30 million over the first three years, and yes we have to assume Byrd will play those first three years to get the $30 million, because I'm quite sure Jairus himself is assuming that...So it may not be 100% guaranteed, but it's darn close to being 100% guaranteed...The signing bonus all but assures that...On a 6 year deal with a $24 million signing bonus, in order to get to $30 million paid out over 3 years, you have to have a base salary of at least $2 million per year...So even if Byrd only plays one year of the deal he gets $26 million...Two years he gets $28 million...Three years $30 million...There's simply no way guaranteed money matters much over the 1st three years if the Bills are offering market-value guaranteed money...So it's got to be the back end of the deal Parker is looking to improve...$30 million payout over the 1st three with around a $24 million signing bonus is more than impressive...and safe for Byrd...

Even a $20 million dollar SB all but assures a huge payout over year one and two in order to get to $30 million in year three...There's no way to make $30 million paid out over the first three years a negative based on the signing bonus it is going to take to get Byrd. A signing bonus the open market has already established...Just no way... B-)

I would not be surprised if Eugene Parker is spreading these rumors after having no one bang down his door to "discuss" $9+ million per year.

Having said that, if JB signs somewhere else, I hope it is not in the AFC East.

I would not be surprised if Eugene Parker is spreading these rumors after having no one bang down his door to "discuss" $9+ million per year.

Byrd-to-Dolphins chatter a 'smokescreen' per Rotoworld.

The Miami Herald's Adam Beasley is hearing that chatter of free agent FS Jairus Byrd landing with the Dolphins is a "smokescreen."

The smokescreen was apparently leaked by Byrd's reps to the NFL Network, which reported Sunday the Fins were "expressing real interest" in this year's top free agent safety. It may be a sign Byrd's camp isn't satisfied with his contract offers to date, which wouldn't be shocking. Byrd is seeking $9 million per year. That's an awful lot to pay a safety with 4.68 speed going on age 28.

Edited by NoJustice

I'm sure there are a lot of teams "interested" in signing Byrd.

Personally, and I'm just guessing, I think Byrd will sign with either the Eagles or Rams. Both teams have good defense's and have a need for Safety help.

I think the Eagles have an edge since they won their division and have a lot of upside, plus they have Chip Kelly. The Rams have upside too, but also play in what is now the toughest division in the NFL.

I would not be surprised if Byrd gives either one of these teams a slight discount in his contract.

Byrd-to-Dolphins chatter a 'smokescreen' per Rotoworld.

The Miami Herald's Adam Beasley is hearing that chatter of free agent FS Jairus Byrd landing with the Dolphins is a "smokescreen."

The smokescreen was apparently leaked by Byrd's reps to the NFL Network, which reported Sunday the Fins were "expressing real interest" in this year's top free agent safety. It may be a sign Byrd's camp isn't satisfied with his contract offers to date, which wouldn't be shocking. Byrd is seeking $9 million per year. That's an awful lot to pay a safety with 4.68 speed going on age 28.

I wonder how much of this is hesitation due to perception, fair or not, of his actions last year.

I am going to get a good chuckle if he comes crawling back "after the dust settles."

What would happen on this board if Byrd ends up coming back to Buffalo for less than the uber-contract he was expecting?

Not saying it'll happen...just wondering aloud.

I wouldn't mind it. Can't blame him for finding out what he's worth. I just hope he isn't butthurt if he finds out that he isn't worth as much as he thought.

I wonder how much of this is hesitation due to perception, fair or not, of his actions last year.

I am going to get a good chuckle if he comes crawling back "after the dust settles."

When a player complains about PF in both his feet and misses 5 games because of it, teams will take notice when you're asking for that much loot. Their strategy could have backfired.

Edited by NoJustice

how did i never hear about byrds speed as an issue over the last 5 years and suddenly ive heard about it 20 times in the last week

I posted a video last year of Bradham outrunning him trying to tackle the Bucs' runningback. His speed is not elite.

I posted a video last year of Bradham outrunning him trying to tackle the Bucs' runningback. His speed is not elite.

i think that this almost makes him more attractive considering the level of production he was able to generate. it means byrd wins using tools that are not speed and so, in comparison to players who rely on their speed, byrd will age well and so is a solid investment at this stage in his career.

I have him as my 3rd best Buffalo Bill safety behind George Saimes and Bill Simpson. I'd actually put Tony Green in the conversation as well.

GO BILLS!!!

I have Green in front of Simpson. I really never even thought of Simpson there.