Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

Lol. He ranked Bethea and Clemons higher than Byrd. Great talent evaluation.... easy to see why he got canned in Indy.

Yeah, I found that quite interesting. I believe Byrd is the best on the market. Appears that Polian covets (like a lot of GMs) speed.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those were Chris Polian's drafts. It would be like blaming Russ Brandon for Nix's drafts. I know for a fact he was not the decision-maker when Chris was GM. He was in a Team President role that was a buffer between Chris and Irsay. That role no longer exists and Grigson and Irsay work in tandem. This is why there is a stark difference in what you see from Irsay now than you saw before. BP kept Irsay in line. Grigson is a puppet. I know this to be a fact.

Bill Polian was GM 1997-2009. When I say late, I was referring to most of the 00's.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Bill Polian was GM 1997-2009. When I say late, I was referring to most of the 00's.

Not to hijack this thread with Polian stuff so to try to stay on topic with his comment on Byrd/safety evaluatiom, he drafted Bob Sanders in the 2nd rd who was elected DPOY. He also signed him to a long-term deal that was a huge contract at the time, it made him the highest paid safety in the history of the NFL at that time. Sanders had injury issues but he was a major difference in their defense when he played. Polian understood the importance of a safety position in being a consistent contender. He was a master talent evaluator and team-builder. His teams in Indy, when you say most of the 00's, made the playoffs every year except 2001. He did build the teams around Manning, but all teams do this when they have a great QB. Edited by YoloinOhio

Not to hijack this thread with Polian stuff so to try to stay on topic with his comment on Byrd/safety evaluatiom, he drafted Bob Sanders in the 2nd rd who was elected DPOY. He also signed him to a long-term deal that was a huge contract at the time, it made him the highest paid safety in the history of the NFL at that time. Sanders had injury issues but he was a major difference in their defense when he played. Polian understood the importance of a safety position in being a consistent contender. He was a master talent evaluator and team-builder. His teams in Indy, when you say most of the 00's, made the playoffs every year except 2001. He did build the teams around Manning, but all teams do this when they have a great QB.

Fair enough. I can't dispute the playoffs argument. I could argue that they could have had more success if they drafted better around Manning. I was just basing my opinion on the drafts. I went through every draft he was the GM there for. Not very impressive IMO. You are right that I did hijack the thread with this so I'll stop now. I will agree that he is among the best all time at what he did.

Fair enough. I can't dispute the playoffs argument. I could argue that they could have had more success if they drafted better around Manning. I was just basing my opinion on the drafts. I went through every draft he was the GM there for. Not very impressive IMO. You are right that I did hijack the thread with this so I'll stop now. I will agree that he is among the best all time at what he did.

No, you didn't hijack it. I was trending toward doing so so steered it back. Indy's drafts weren't great in the early rounds but I think they brought in the right guys eventually. It still amazes me, after all the Bills have been through since Jim Kelly, they somehow got both Manning and Luck.

It still amazes me, after all the Bills have been through since Jim Kelly, they somehow got both Manning and Luck.

I know. Talk about winning the lottery twice.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

The Bills and Parker tried looking for a trading partner since he was tagged last year. If people still need to insist there is a ready, willing, and able trading partner out there willing to give up more than the 4th the Vikings offered in order to satisfy themselves that the Bills screwed the pooch yet again, have at it. Why we insist on hoeing this old ground every other day is a mystery. Well, other than the obvious reason which is to further the point that everything the FO does is plain stupid. I'd rather people just say that than make up stuff based on nothing more than supposition.

GO BILLS!!!

The only question mark is how hard they looked in march vs August. It's possible predraft they were pushing much harder to get the signing? I honestly don't recall much chatter in the spring either direction.

Really there should be about 20 teams "interested"

I agree. Was just talking to a buddy who is a Broncos fan who said he thinks the Broncos cut Champ, in part, to go after Byrd. That might be wishful thinking-- but I was surprised that the Broncos would be interested.

As for the Dolphins being interested, I don't really care. Those guys drop a ton of money on free agents every year and still stink.

Bad news on Saffold leaving the Rams is it frees up cap space for them go after Byrd. Although if he leaves I'd rather him go NFC. Word is Denver going after TJ Ward:

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet 34m

Tom Heckert drafted him RT @MikeKlis: Broncos expected to pursue Cleveland SS T.J. Ward when market opens Thursday. http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25304448/broncos-could-be-better-playoffs-stronger-play-at …

The upshot here is that if you want somebody who wants the biggest contract he can possibly get, you have to overpay him on a contract extension. Letting him get to market was almost certainly going to result in a lot of interest around the league.

We could also, conceivably, look at this as trading Byrd for whatever players the Bills pick up using the funds made available. If for $50MM over 5 years you can get an OG and a LB, it might be worth it. On the other hand, I think they could afford all three if they really wanted to.

Really there should be about 20 teams "interested"

I am finding it a little odd that there is not more early buzz on Byrd...It certainly could mean nothing...But I expected there to be some real action...At least some juicy rumors and money speculation...As it is there are rumored deals...BIG deals being reported on already...

"Kansas City Chiefs offensive tackle Branden Albert is expected to sign with the Miami Dolphins for an average of $9.5 million annually.

St. Louis Rams offensive tackle Rodger Saffold is expected to sign with the Oakland Raiders for roughly $8 million per year, but he is still in talks with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Oakland Raiders offensive tackle Jared Veldheer is expected to sign with the Arizona Cardinals for between $7 million and $7.5 million.

Cincinnati Bengals offensive tackle Anthony Collins is expected to sign with the Buccaneers for between $6.5 million to $7 million provided that he doesn't re-sign with the Bengals."

-Aaron Wilson of the The Baltimore Sun

Anyway...Not much on Byrd at all...Miami is interested...St Louis...The Jets...Cleveland did not contact him on the 1st day...Meh...I expected more for arguably the #1 UFA on the market...Like I said maybe it's nothing...But I'm a bit surprised nonetheless... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

It's been pretty quiet for a year now. We will see if that's a soft market or an agent that keeps quiet most of the time. If he hadn't fielded any offers one would think he'd be jumping on ours.

It'll be interesting to see the conclusion this week, as it really could go a number of ways on dollars and location

Ian Rappaport just tweeted that the Dolphins are interested in Byrd.

I just saw that as well. If Miami were to land Byrd then I would really have to rethink my persception of Byrd. Up until now I have been trying to leave my emotions out of it and look at it through his eyes but if he ends up in Miami, knowing how much they are a rival to us then I want nothing to do with him anymore. Matter of fact if he were to go to anyone in our division then it would be the same result. It took quite some time (decade?) to forgive Thurman, with Byrd though it would be permanent.

Go Bills!

Edited by Tipster19

I just saw that as well. If Miami were to land Byrd then I would really have to rethink my persception of Byrd. Up until now I have been trying to leave my emotions out of it and look at it through his eyes but if he ends up in Miami, knowing how much they are a rival to us then I want nothing to do with him anymore. Matter of fact if he were to go to anyone in our division then it would be the same result. It took quite some time (decade?) to forgive Thurman, with Byrd though it would be permanent.

Go Bills!

You won't be alone...

If Byrd goes to any team in the AFC East he'll instantly become my least favorite NFL player...

Not saying it's right, or fair, or anything...Just saying... B-)

I think this whole Byrd controversy is way overblown. This isn't an all-time great Buffalo Bill we are talking about. He is very good safety, that stood out playing for a string of very bad Bills teams. If he doesn't want to be here, use the money to shore up another area, and pay the guys that want to stay with the team.