Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

Let m,e understand this, we were willing to give Byrd a 3 year contact at 10 million per year but we aren't willing to Franchise him so for one year we get like a deal for 8.5 million or so and he can play with us or be traded for assets??? I don't understand the Bills here.. Somebody please explain this to me.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Plenty of people have offered explanations of the Bills thinking in this thread. You are entitled to disagree with that view but it is a valid view to take.

As a quick re-cap... if the Bills had franchised Byrd they couldn't have traded him until he signed the franchise tender. If he had done the same as last year and not signed it until training camp the limited trade market (their best offer for him last year was a 4th) would have all but disappeared because FA has been and gone, the draft has happened and fewer teams have a) desperate needs and b) free cap space to pay a guy $8.5million. Then you have a thoroughly annoyed Jairus Byrd claiming plantar fascitis (I actually have PF and let me tell you when it flares up it it really isn't pleasant) which is hard to disprove and he doesn't start playing until week 7/8. Then you are paying a guy $8.5million for half a season at best. Does that sound wise to you?

The Bills may or may not still be "in play" for a longer term deal. Personally I think he will sign elsewhere.

Let m,e understand this, we were willing to give Byrd a 3 year contact at 10 million per year but we aren't willing to Franchise him so for one year we get like a deal for 8.5 million or so and he can play with us or be traded for assets??? I don't understand the Bills here.. Somebody please explain this to me.

Yeah, why rent a maserati, when you can afford to buy it?

Seriously, it comes down to Byrd wanted to test FA regardless of what the Bills offered.

Edited by justnzane

Aaron Williams says Byrd wants to stay. Obviously doesn't mean much but the window is not completely closed.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/07/aaron-williams-says-jairus-byrd-wants-to-remain-in-buffalo/

lol. Byrd has a funny way of showing it.

With the Bills paying A. Williams, Byrd is not coming back b/c we will not be paying him as well.

The end.

lol. Byrd has a funny way of showing it.

With the Bills paying A. Williams, Byrd is not coming back b/c we will not be paying him as well.

The end.

I agree the Bills made an effort it didn't work out time to move on. I personally think if some of the numbers floated around were true that is too much to pay for a safety.

Edited by billieve420

My take is the Bills are willing to take a gamble that no team is going to offer Byrd more then they already have. Which to me is a huge mistake by Buffalo because they offered crazy money to Levitre who never even made the pro bowl. Byrd is a three time pro bowler in his young career, and some team is going to throw the bank at him. Something I'm pretty sure he, and his greedy agent are hoping for...

It was never clear to me whether the Bills made an offer to Levtire for crazy money or at all. I also recall that before free agency started Levitre said he was waiting for an offer from the Bills. I am not remembering this correctly?

As long as the loser Byrd doesn't go to an AFC East rival, I don't care where he goes. The reality is, we were preparing for his departure since last year. We shouldn't be too discouraged with him leaving because honestly, we did fine without him in the first 6 games and the run defense IIRC was better before he came back into the lineup. How much of that has to do with Byrd we will never know, but all I know is I'm happy with what we have in Aaron Williams (at least with Pettine at the realm)

We don't even know what Schwartz is going to do with this defense yet. It just might turn out for the better who knows?

It was never clear to me whether the Bills made an offer to Levtire for crazy money or at all. I also recall that before free agency started Levitre said he was waiting for an offer from the Bills. I am not remembering this correctly?

I read it the way you did. "They" being the Bills. I now think he means "They" are the Titans.

its interesting to me how differently situations like this are viewed depending on which F.O. is involved. everyone thinks the bills are cheap and stupid for letting a talented player who wants a lot (too much?) money hit the open market, but the patriots do this frequently and everyone always hails it as a shrewd/intelligent football decision.

i guess the difference is that the patriots are winning.

Edited by johnwalter

Word where I live is jets will cut sanchize, chroma rite and Holmes. They will then be more than 51 million below cap and will main team to go after Byrd man

I don't think Byrd would go to the Jets. But $$ talks.

My take is the Bills are willing to take a gamble that no team is going to offer Byrd more then they already have. Which to me is a huge mistake by Buffalo because they offered crazy money to Levitre who never even made the pro bowl. Byrd is a three time pro bowler in his young career, and some team is going to throw the bank at him. Something I'm pretty sure he, and his greedy agent are hoping for...

My take is they dont give a rats patard.

Bills have done amazing PR work here. I am duly impressed.

I would guess the Bills know exactly what they are doing. It has not worked out because Bills couldn't keep him for what they valued him at, or a pinch more .

He wants to see the world . we let him. all is good with the world.

Coming back ? i will do hand stand pushups till i pass out if he does. probably about two and a half . My kids can video it .

But i will do it because there No way in heck he's coming back. Its all about the perception at this point .

ps i think he will get paid well too. we just gave him a going away present to drive his value up. With that what i thought sounded like a darned good offer. Especially for Buffalo Bills !

Edited by 3rdand12