Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And how much of it was guaranteed? NFL contract details mean almost nothing without knowing the guaranteed amounts.

WGR reported yesterday that $30 million of the $62.5 million was guaranteed and payable over the first 3 years. Assuming that's accurate, I don't see Byrd getting a better deal than that.

The only question is, what was in the rest of that offer? There's probably a reason that the Bills only leaked the part about $10mil/year for the first 3 years. Maybe it was a 6-year, $45 million deal? Maybe it was 4 years, $36 million, but with no guaranteed money? If the Bills are really misrepresenting the nature of their offer, then this situation changes. I don't really think they are, though. Don't get me wrong -- if the full offer was as good as the part they leaked, they would've leaked the whole thing. But I get the impression that they really want(ed) to keep Byrd and made a legitimately reasonable offer. Byrd might be sick of losing and having a new DC every year, and maybe it means more to him to go to a more stable situation where he's got a better chance of making the playoffs. Or maybe he just really wants to see what his true market value is, and once he does, he'll consider the Bills' offer. I don't expect that, but I wouldn't 100% rule it out at this point.

Anyway, I don't have any anger or outrage over this, at least not yet. I do think the Bills made a legit attempt to keep him, and I also think that there has to be a limit where the price tag is too high, no matter how good the player is. I knock management a lot, but I honestly do think that if there was likely to be a decent trade market, the Bills would've tagged him. This is at least a little similar to Levitre last year so far. The problem there wasn't necessarily letting him walk -- even at the time, you could easily argue the Titans overpaid. The problem was the plan to replace him was basically, "sit on a pile of money." I hope that the Bills have learned their lesson, and have a much better plan to replace Byrd. That doesn't necessarily mean spending a ton on his immediate replacement, but it does mean taking the money budgeted towards Byrd and spending it to help the team.

We will see, but the past has shown that an increased gap between spending and the cap ceiling does not necessarily imply spending that money on other players. It is a typical thought by us fans, though.

WGR reported yesterday that $30 million of the $62.5 million was guaranteed and payable over the first 3 years. Assuming that's accurate, I don't see Byrd getting a better deal than that.

I said yesterday that I think Byrd will be very surprised that there aren't a boatload of teams lining up to give him a $60million contract. If those numbers are accurate, I think he will be severely disappointed during his maiden free agency. That's a hell of an offer.

Got a link? I don't recall any outlet saying 30m guaranteed, just 30m over first three years.

They didn't as far as I know. That would be all over the place if that were remotely true. I listened to GR yesterday and didn't hear that, although it was only for a couple hours. GR was reporting the same thing everyone else was, 30m in the first three years, which means nothing. jw even specifically mentioned that it didn't include any guaranteed amount or the length of the contract.

i don't think they said guaranteed. it was 30 over the first 3 years nut not guaranteed 30.

Got a link? I don't recall any outlet saying 30m guaranteed, just 30m over first three years.

Right...Not all the $30 was guaranteed...But a total of $30 payout if he plays the first three years...

No matter how the payout goes...If that $60 million plus figure is accurate that's one hell of an offer... B-)

I said yesterday that I think Byrd will be very surprised that there aren't a boatload of teams lining up to give him a $60million contract. If those numbers are accurate, I think he will be severely disappointed during his maiden free agency. That's a hell of an offer.

He doesn't need a boatload. He just needs one.

Edited by bbb

Guys maybe I am wrong here but maybe the Bills have played this right. I have re- thought this hott mess.

Ok so Byrd is a free agent now. Maybe they promised him last yr they would not tag him this year. Step one, let Byrd test the market. Maybe this is what his greedy ass agent wanted all along.

Step two, offer him a deal which only a few teams would top. If it is true they offered him that much money they set the bar pretty damn high as far as contract talks is concerned.

step 3 let it play out. If some team makes Byrd an offer that he cant refuse well then so be it. The Bills would be stupid to match it.

Now if he takes an offer smaller than Buffalo's well he did really want out.

Or maybe the fact that the Bills lost Petine which really affected his decision to leave. Maybe if the Brown's had not stepped in and stole our DC, the best we had in quite a while, also factored into Byrd's desire to bolt town, which is a valid one.

He doesn't need a boatload. He just needs one.

Fair enough, and your right. All it takes is one. Even though location, scheme, coaching and organizational stability would factor into the decision one might think. I just don't think there'll be one higher than that offer.