Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

ESPN - Panthers DE Greg Hardy signs $13 million franchise tender for 2014 season, source tells ESPN

Odd that other tagged players didn't fuss and whine like Byrd. Even more odd that he signed the tender already

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What are you talking about? A team can't just "get" Byrd if he's franchise tagged. The whole point of tagging him is to either keep him for an extra year or so that another NFL team would have to offer you a trade deal.

I'm surprised so many Bills fans are buying what the Bills are selling here.

But Byrd has to sign his tag BEFORE you can trade him.

GO BILLS!!!

I think some just keep missing that point. And they miss the point that the Bills can't trade Byrd if he doesn't sign the tender, it's really that simple.

It'd go like this:

"Hey Jairus, we found a team willing to offer us what we want in return for your services"

"Who's the team?"

"Minnesota"

"Nah, don't think I'll sign my tender then"

Well there goes the trade him route.

Until you mentioned this it had escaped my attention that he could do that...personally, I would've tagged him with the intent that he would play one more season here.

The point you made above is very relevant to that plan--thanks for bringing it up.

All joking about the ineptitude of the Bills' FO aside, do we honestly think Whaley and co. didnt know and weigh all their options? If it was a "no brainer" to tag and trade him for a high pick, why on earth wouldn't they? I am pretty sure they took all options into account and made what they figure will be the right move. Don't forget, the Bills will be rewarded a compensatory pick if some other team in fact signs him. So it won't actually be for nothing.

Of course they did...folks here are just emotional about it, and understandably so...obviously Whaley etc. are closer to the situation and know things we don't. To deny that and make one's own assumptions is simply approaching it from an overly-emotional standpoint. I do understand how some folks might be there though.

What are you talking about? A team can't just "get" Byrd if he's franchise tagged. The whole point of tagging him is to either keep him for an extra year or so that another NFL team would have to offer you a trade deal.

I'm surprised so many Bills fans are buying what the Bills are selling here.

IMO it's not about buying anything--there are very real ramifications for tagging the guy. You're probably looking at a similar situation to last year, where the guy plays far less than a full season for a far greater amount of money. As I've said, I would've tagged him; I'm also not ignoring that there is the potential for the situation to become quite toxic.

I honestly feel that the Bills have a better feel for this than any of us do...

Honestly, I'm just very disappointed. IMO, it's hard to completely blame any side. Byrd got drafted and didn't have a choice where he wanted to play. He became a really good player and inflated his value. good for him.

The Bills, if reports are true, were willing to pay him a lot of money. Honestly and it sucks, it really seems like he just wanted to leave. The only thing that would have made him stay was if the Bills paid him more than anyone else. If you were running a company, would you want to pay someone a ton of money who didn't really want to be here?

I wish they would have tagged him but I can get spiteful. As some have mention, it's hard to trade a guy with the franchise tag because they don't have a long term deal in place. This is just disappointing and I hope that the Bills can once again become the place where players don't need top dollar to play. Disappointed big time.

I agree that it's disappointing. I also don't think it's going to be the difference between fielding a playoff team in 2014 and not doing so.

I honestly think the Bills sat down and decided what they thought he is worth to them, not to the league as a whole, and made the decision not to go above that. If he leaves and gets more than what they offered, then they're justified because they didn't want to pay that much. If he goes elsewhere for the same or less than what they offered, then they're justified because he obviously didn't want to be here.

I think Whaley is being straightforward when he says they "place a value on a person or player." Not exactly the same, but kind of like buying a car: you decide the most you'd be willing to pay before you go to the dealer, and if they won't come down to that price, you stick to your guns and walk, because otherwise you're going against your plan.

^ this

ESPN - Panthers DE Greg Hardy signs $13 million franchise tender for 2014 season, source tells ESPN

Odd that other tagged players didn't fuss and whine like Byrd. Even more odd that he signed the tender already

Same as last year...every other player signed the tag deal well before training camp...Byrd was the only one that held out.

So as a business owner you'd be willing to pay an employee over 8 mil a year who is likely to hold out, sit out and hates working for you? Someone who may or may not be detriment to the team out of sheer spite?

Interesting.

2 questions for you.

1. Do you own a business and 2. Are you hiring?

Because I can half ass it for you and call out all year if your willing to pay me 8 mil out of spite.

I don't care if Byrd hates working for me. I repeat, I DON'T CARE. He would be in a contract year in 2014 and would play just as great as he did last year. You may think that I'm a jerk for wanting to franchise tag a disgruntled player, but I'M the one who's making the smart business decision. Why?

1. Because the Bills would be either getting something back from Byrd leaving in a trade scenario. or…

2. The Bills would be have an all pro safety for the majority of the 2014 season with a year to make plans for his replacement.

You are the "nice guy" and that's fine. I'm not the "nice guy" when it comes to what's best for the Bills franchise. I think that there are two FOs at One Bills Drive. One that drives the bus and holds the purse stings and which won over the one that wanted Byrd tagged knowing that the team is worse off by not moving forward with the simple and effective football decision.

The Bills got NOTHING for Byrd and just blew a GIGANTIC hole in their pass defense. THEY did that and fans are ok with it because they can feel good about not forcing a player to stay against their will. The dude would make 9 MILLION dollars, Sorry, but I think the sympathy card has worn a little thin on Byrd.

I honestly think the Bills sat down and decided what they thought he is worth to them, not to the league as a whole, and made the decision not to go above that. If he leaves and gets more than what they offered, then they're justified because they didn't want to pay that much. If he goes elsewhere for the same or less than what they offered, then they're justified because he obviously didn't want to be here.

I think Whaley is being straightforward when he says they "place a value on a person or player." Not exactly the same, but kind of like buying a car: you decide the most you'd be willing to pay before you go to the dealer, and if they won't come down to that price, you stick to your guns and walk, because otherwise you're going against your plan.

No doubt.

One point though is that if they tagged him, they have to pay him $8.3M, according to what I've read. Then the leak was that they offered a long-term deal that paid him $30M in the first 3 years. Then they decided not to tag him. The numbers don't seem to work for the strictly budget-driven concept though. $8.3M is less than $10M. So, they offered more than "sticker price" and then balked? And, if he's worth $10M for the next three years, might it not have been worth paying that last year to avoid this eventual fiasco? Or was the $6.9M too much? The difference, $3M, was less than the dead money they ate on the Fitzpatrick deal, which was ballyhooed at the time as a good deal because they could turn around and get rid of Fitzpatrick at any time by some...

I get it that Byrd wants to try free agency. That's the system and that's what he wants. And, if he doesn't care to be part of the Buffalo Bills any longer, there isn't much they can say now to change his mind. Good luck to him.

I don't care if Byrd hates working for me. I repeat, I DON'T CARE. He would be in a contract year in 2014 and would play just as great as he did last year. You may think that I'm a jerk for wanting to franchise tag a disgruntled player, but I'M the one who's making the smart business decision. Why?

1. Because the Bills would be either getting something back from Byrd leaving in a trade scenario. or…

2. The Bills would be have an all pro safety for the majority of the 2014 season with a year to make plans for his replacement.

1.) There's the trade scenario again. Been there, done that LAST YEAR. There's a good chance the comp pick will be BETTER than their BEST trade offer, which we know was only a 4th last year. I know, I know, he CEMENTED himself. Right.

2.) Do you not think that drafting of two safeties in last year's draft WASN'T making plans for his replacement?

GO BILLS!!!

You are the "nice guy" and that's fine. I'm not the "nice guy" when it comes to what's best for the Bills franchise. I think that there are two FOs at One Bills Drive. One that drives the bus and holds the purse stings and which won over the one that wanted Byrd tagged knowing that the team is worse off by not moving forward with the simple and effective football decision.

The Bills got NOTHING for Byrd and just blew a GIGANTIC hole in their pass defense. THEY did that and fans are ok with it because they can feel good about not forcing a player to stay against their will. The dude would make 9 MILLION dollars, Sorry, but I think the sympathy card has worn a little thin on Byrd.

That't the important part. I think people are grossly overstating the readiness of Duke Williams and Meeks to contribute this season. These guys were projects and barely touched the field last season with the exception of special teams.

Byrd missed 1/2 the season. Aaron Williams was banged up and missed games. Essentially it was Searcy and a 57 year old Jim Leonard that kept these guys from taking snaps. Yes, I understand Leonard knew Pettine's scheme, I'm just pissed we'll now have a significant hole on defense to fill with no able replacement likely on the roster.

Going back to the 2012 off season, of all the players tagged I'm pretty certain that only Byrd and Dwayne Bowe had any extended holdout...Of course Bowe eventually re-signed...So... B-)

1.) There's the trade scenario again. Been there, done that LAST YEAR. There's a good chance the comp pick will be BETTER than their BEST trade offer, which we know was only a 4th last year. I know, I know, he CEMENTED himself. Right.

2.) Do you not think that drafting of two safeties in last year's draft WASN'T making plans for his replacement?

GO BILLS!!!

We're going round and round on this and that's fine but I think I'm just about done talking about Byrd. I've said my peace and people know where I stand. I'm going to talk about the draft again.

No doubt.

One point though is that if they tagged him, they have to pay him $8.3M, according to what I've read. Then the leak was that they offered a long-term deal that paid him $30M in the first 3 years. Then they decided not to tag him. The numbers don't seem to work for the strictly budget-driven concept though. $8.3M is less than $10M. So, they offered more than "sticker price" and then balked? And, if he's worth $10M for the next three years, might it not have been worth paying that last year to avoid this eventual fiasco? Or was the $6.9M too much? The difference, $3M, was less than the dead money they ate on the Fitzpatrick deal, which was ballyhooed at the time as a good deal because they could turn around and get rid of Fitzpatrick at any time by some...

I get it that Byrd wants to try free agency. That's the system and that's what he wants. And, if he doesn't care to be part of the Buffalo Bills any longer, there isn't much they can say now to change his mind. Good luck to him.

Sure $8.3 million is less, but although the franchise tag keeps a player with a specific team to try to work out a long term deal, the player holds some of the cards as well. Like as was discussed earlier, that player can't be traded if he doesn't sign the tender. That handcuffs the team a bit. Then if they don't sign the tender before the 15th they can't be traded or negotiate a deal at all. Also, a player could choose to sit out up to 10 games if they choose without it effecting their player status. Unfortunately they wouldn't get paid for those games, unless of course they are injured like Byrd was last year. He sat out 6 games and collected the full $6.9 million.

So in the end, IMO, Byrd would claim his PF acted up and possibly sit out 6-10 games. I think Whaley and the FO has to question if it's really worth paying $8.3 million to a disgruntled employee who would only play half the season and who would most certainly not be returning the next year.

Byrd on ESPN right now...

All doors remain open w/ Bills. Basically said they have my number and could continue to talk.

Excited about FA, never done it before. Pretty stock answer.

RE: Pettine...great coach, thinks he'll do a great job. Liked playing in his defense.

Philly: Knows coach, thinks he's a great coach.

When asked about any feelings of where he'll end up he was vague and says it's a process.

Talks about his dad, and him coaching with the Bucs.

Overall, scripted interview. As one might expect, I suppose.

That's the important part. I think people are grossly overstating the readiness of Duke Williams and Meeks to contribute this season.

Not trying to be a smart-ass...But who is overstating their readiness? Marrone stated they were the next men up, but I have not seen much sentiment around here indicating their play would be great or anything like that...Merely that they were next...And they don't have to be Byrd to be effective anyway...The Bills were 2-3 with Jim Leonard as the starter at FS, and the three games they lost were definitely not due to poor FS play...Just saying... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Not trying to be a smart-ass...But who is overstating their readiness? Marrone stated they were the next men up, but I have not seen much sentiment around here indicating their play would be great or anything like that...Merely that they were next...And they don't have to be Byrd to be effective anyway...The Bills were 2-3 with Jim Leonard as the starter at FS, and the three games they lost were definitely not due to poor FS play...Just saying... B-)

It wasn't the coaching staff. Just many posters on here hypothesizing how good Duke Williams is already. Which is fine, I suppose. I just fear it's a huge drop-off to go to anyone of these guys.

In regards to wins with Leonard (who I love), it's kind of an arbitrary stat given how it was generally our inept offense and carousel at QB that was the major reason the Bills were or were not competitive. Which of course takes us to a completely different argument that safeties really don't matter and it all comes back to the QB...Gotta love the NFL, that's for sure.

Sure $8.3 million is less, but although the franchise tag keeps a player with a specific team to try to work out a long term deal, the player holds some of the cards as well. Like as was discussed earlier, that player can't be traded if he doesn't sign the tender. That handcuffs the team a bit. Then if they don't sign the tender before the 15th they can't be traded or negotiate a deal at all. Also, a player could choose to sit out up to 10 games if they choose without it effecting their player status. Unfortunately they wouldn't get paid for those games, unless of course they are injured like Byrd was last year. He sat out 6 games and collected the full $6.9 million.

So in the end, IMO, Byrd would claim his PF acted up and possibly sit out 6-10 games. I think Whaley and the FO has to question if it's really worth paying $8.3 million to a disgruntled employee who would only play half the season and who would most certainly not be returning the next year.

Sigh. Yes, I fully understand Byrd has his rights in the process too. From a strictly budgetary viewpoint, the argument that the Bills must allow Byrd to walk doesn't hold water. Obviously, that is not the entirety of the situation, which is precisely why I made my point.

Sigh. Yes, I fully understand Byrd has his rights in the process too. From a strictly budgetary viewpoint, the argument that the Bills must allow Byrd to walk doesn't hold water. Obviously, that is not the entirety of the situation, which is precisely why I made my point.

Fair enough.

Doug Whaley (mis)quoted Dumb and Dumber in his press conference.

This is no a good sign.

:doh:

not really

We're going round and round on this and that's fine but I think I'm just about done talking about Byrd. I've said my peace and people know where I stand. I'm going to talk about the draft again.

so... Who would you like to take at FS at the 9th pick? Edited by mrags

Awesome!!!

Like I said Do you own a company and may I have a job? Because I will cash your checks ALL day and bad mouth your company while half assing it. You think I'm a nice guy? lol I've been called a lot of things in my time, never once do I remember anyone calling me nice. If you're willing to pay me 9 million to malinger I'll show you just how nice I am.

Truth is I own 2 businesses and paying a malcontent employee an enormous payday when there might be a even a hint that he may screw you in the long run is very very bad business. There's no nice or not nice about it, it's smart mature business to move on.

Also to say the Bills got nothing for Byrd is an entitled way to look at things. We got 4 years of cheap labor for an all pro, be grateful.

Edited by Hazed and Amuzed

A bit of advice: pay close attention to what Murph has to say on his show. For over a week now he's been all about not re-signing Byrd. I truly believe he's been given inside information. His job is to lube us up. I truly believe that. The second I heard him speak on the subject I knew Byrd wouldn't be tagged.

Don't be surprised if the Bills draft the safety out of Alabama with the 9th pick this year & if they do that I am cancelling my season tickets the next morning. I don't entirely blame the Bills in this whole situation. It sounds like they made him a more then fair offer. I just don't think he wants to play for the Bills anymore. With that being said, this is just a typical type move for the Bills. A very good player leaves & they draft their replacement. The problem with this is you never get to build on the prio season.

Don't be surprised if the Bills draft the safety out of Alabama with the 9th pick this year & if they do that I am cancelling my season tickets the next morning. I don't entirely blame the Bills in this whole situation. It sounds like they made him a more then fair offer. I just don't think he wants to play for the Bills anymore. With that being said, this is just a typical type move for the Bills. A very good player leaves & they draft their replacement. The problem with this is you never get to build on the prio season.

I don't think so...Whaley really strikes me as a BPA guy, and I doubt Ha Ha is even the #1 safety on most team's boards.

Also remember that they didn't draft a guard in the 1st despite having Levitre leave last year...they aren't going to jump to fill needs I don't believe.