Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What was the deal offered to Byrd from the Bills? They honestly didn't want to pay 8 million?

John Murphy insists he doesn't have inside info, and the terms of the final 2 years have not been released. But he speculated last night that Byrd was offered a 5-year/$40 mill deal in which he would make $10 mill/yr for the first 3 yrs and $5 mill for the last 2. Front-loaded. Guranteed $ uncertain. He thinks that Byrd wants $9 mill/yr and not front-loaded.

John Murphy insists he doesn't have inside info, and the terms of the final 2 years have not been released. But he speculated last night that Byrd was offered a 5-year/$40 mill deal in which he would make $10 mill/yr for the first 3 yrs and $5 mill for the last 2. Front-loaded. Guranteed $ uncertain. He thinks that Byrd wants $9 mill/yr and not front-loaded.

Why wouldn't a guy want a front loaded deal? If he plays well he holds out later on. If he plays poorly he is never going to see the money late in the deal anyways?

Why wouldn't a guy want a front loaded deal? If he plays well he holds out later on. If he plays poorly he is never going to see the money late in the deal anyways?

Not sure, Murphy was wondering the same. But again, he insisted he didn't know anything and was trying to figure out why the Bills offer would not have reeled him in at that amount seeing as he is saying he wants 9 mill/yr and teams are getting sticker shock.

That's unfortunate, we really needed to get him signed. The sides were so close, yet couldn't come together on a deal? =/

so he speculated roughly what i speculated up thread about the last 2-3 years being much cheaper, while byrd would rather hit free agency and get one more pay day at 30-31 (or of course simply play out an overinflated last couple years if a team offered him a deal with year 5 at 12m) than have cheap years for the team stashed there.

Pretty stupid not to want a front loaded deal, IMO. There are several possibilities, one being he just does not want to play in Buffalo. Personally, I think he is just insistent that he he was going to be a free agent. He has won that battle. It is entirely possible that, much like Whitner who ended up signing in SF for less than he was asking when actual interest in his services was much less than he anticipated, Byrd may end up in a crappier situation for the same or even less money, than the Bills offered. Based on reports so far, the market at his asking price seems to be soft.

so he speculated roughly what i speculated up thread about the last 2-3 years being much cheaper, while byrd would rather hit free agency and get one more pay day at 30-31 (or of course simply play out an overinflated last couple years if a team offered him a deal with year 5 at 12m) than have cheap years for the team stashed there.

Or Parker told him he would see more money from another team and that hasn't materialized (yet). I still think a team steps up, maybe one we haven't heard about, and pays the man.

i think hes saying he wants to see that money across the length of the deal, as opposed to a big dip at the end. if he takes home his 25-30m and hits free agency again at 30, you have to think hed get more than 2 years at 5m per year potentially. he doesnt get that opportunity if the team is getting years 4 and 5 at a discount.

i dont think hes saying give me the same 5 year 40m offer but push the money later, i think hes saying give me a 5 year 45-50m offer where the money flows maybe closer to 12m, 8m, 8m, 11m, 11m

i think hes saying he wants to see that money across the length of the deal, as opposed to a big dip at the end. if he takes home his 25-30m and hits free agency again at 30, you have to think hed get more than 2 years at 5m per year potentially. he doesnt get that opportunity if the team is getting years 4 and 5 at a discount.

i dont think hes saying give me the same 5 year 40m offer but push the money later, i think hes saying give me a 5 year 45-50m offer where the money flows maybe closer to 12m, 8m, 8m, 11m, 11m

But a big dip at the end increases the chances that he stays with the team and finishes the contract, rather than getting released in the last couple of years because the cap hit is too high to justify keeping an aging player...

And going to a state where there's no state income tax could be a factor. I expect Byrd to land in Texas or Florida. That additional 10% ding is huge over 5 years.

I just did some research to see what cap hits were for safeties in 2014. Only 5 safeties are over 8 million in total cap hit, only 1 over 8 million for base salary, only 3 safeties north of 40 million, and only 1 safety north of 20 million guaranteed. These all include the outlier that is the Eric Berry contract. I'm thinking that Parker severely overplayed his hand. Byrd on the open market may be able to get 5 years 40 million but it doesn't appear that any team is jumping at the chance to give it to him.

I am hoping that Parker screws the pooch for him here. Whether he has to come back to Buffalo at the deal they offered or gets stuck taking a sub par offer from another team. Mostly because I can't stand his tactics as an agent even though I understand them. To this point he has been successful as well so some egg on his face would make me happy.

But a big dip at the end increases the chances that he stays with the team and finishes the contract, rather than getting released in the last couple of years because the cap hit is too high to justify keeping an aging player...

I agree with this. If he is having a hard time getting 8 million at 28 how much can he reasonably expect at 31?

Thats kind of my point though - that Parker either wants him to get those big years or back to free agency at 30 years old. he doesnt want him playing his last productive years in a team friendly situation.

And going to a state where there's no state income tax could be a factor. I expect Byrd to land in Texas or Florida. That additional 10% ding is huge over 5 years.

Cowboys are in cap hell, no way he goes there. Texans are the only possibility. Miami just signed Delmas, TB has Goldston, and if he went to the Jags I would never stop laughing at him.

Thats what I am thinking but if he isn't producing at a very high level he never sees that $11m.