Goodell makes 44 Million for this.

oman128

I was reading a list of stories currently posted on ESPN and here are the highlights.

Aaron Hernandez of the Patriots has been charged with murder.

E.J Henderson of the Vikings has been released due to multiple DWI's.

Richie Incognito is a racist bully when it comes to J Martin.

Hugh Douglas was just charge for beating up his girlfriend.

Darren Sharper charged with two counts of rape.

Vince Young just filed for bankruptcy.

Greg Boyd just jailed for tax fraud.

and just this past week we find out that Michael Sam future NFL Draftee says he's gay. Which may not be so bad when you consider what the guys above him have done.

OJ Simpson is still in jail and I believe Rae Carruth is as well , not to mention Dave Meggett. Im sure there are others.

Great job Roger!

Edited by oman128

I'm not sure what Roger Goodell has to do with any of it? Scumbag rapers, murderers, and thugs. It's not like Roger birthed them.

Right, and he does lead tax exempt multi billion dollar parent company of 32 billion dollar subsidiaries, so I'd expect him to make some nice coin.

$44M is RIDICULOUS though. That's what? Double the annual salary of the leagues highest paid PLAYER?

Right, and he does lead tax exempt multi billion dollar parent company of 32 billion dollar subsidiaries, so I'd expect him to make some nice coin.

$44M is RIDICULOUS though. That's what? Double the annual salary of the leagues highest paid PLAYER?

Just for accuracy's sake-

9m of it was a deferred payment he earned during the lockout year but for league cash flow pushed actual payment to this year.

The 35m figure is in line with bud selig, who I find way worse

Edited by NoSaint

I was reading a list of stories currently posted on ESPN and here are the highlights.

and just this past week we find out that Michael Sam future NFL Draftee says he's gay. Which may not be so bad when you consider what the guys above him have done.

OJ Simpson is still in jail and I believe Rae Carruth is as well , not to mention Dave Meggett. Im sure there are others.

Great job Roger!

and the highest tv ratings ever

highest rated super bowl ever

Dave Meggett in jail is Goodell's fault ? Dave's dad is in their too is that Roger's fault also

Edited by CardinalScotts

Top CEO's on his level make this. I'm fine with it.

Exactly.

This is an uninformed thread. News flash, there are people that make horrible decisions who are in the NFL, or we're in the NFL. Second, as jboys states, this is normal for CEO's. Have you ever pulled the comp plans for other CEO's like Google, Tyco, Microsoft, Grummond, Delta, and so on?

Exactly.

This is an uninformed thread. News flash, there are people that make horrible decisions who are in the NFL, or we're in the NFL. Second, as jboys states, this is normal for CEO's. Have you ever pulled the comp plans for other CEO's like Google, Tyco, Microsoft, Grummond, Delta, and so on?

Correction. Not on everyone on this thread, just the person who started the message. My apologies guys. I don't want my comment misconstrued.

What the hell does that mean? Your blaming the nfl for letting a gay player play? What's the matter with you. Not only is your topic ignorant and ridiculous, It has no logic (there are some people that do bad things or even go bankrupt, blame the commissioner). And you had to go throw in a gay player as an example.

Bravo, you just made the worst thread iv ever seen here.

What the hell does that mean? Your blaming the nfl for letting a gay player play? What's the matter with you. Not only is your topic ignorant and ridiculous, It has no logic (there are some people that do bad things or even go bankrupt, blame the commissioner). And you had to go throw in a gay player as an example.

And that's ignoring the very fundamental error of not including a link. Fail on all fronts.

Yet there are what 2000 athletes in the nfl? Handful of douchebags but the extremely vast majority are great citizens and no headlines. Also, the NFL is a non profit cause it doesn't make money...it takes in all the money and then passes it to the owners of the league who are then taxed on their earnings.

I'm reminded of the saying 'don't confuse brains and bull markets'

The NFL is king, would have been king with or without Godell.

The jury is out on the London experiment, LA expansion and a bunch of other things the commissioner has control over.

I don't pin poor/criminal behaviour on Goddell. There is likely more to be done to protect and mentor players but I can't put all of it at his feet.

He did a good job with the lock out and getting long term labour and tv deals done. It is a private enterprise so no one should be complaining about his salary.

Apparently like all CEOs roger is completely responsible for all the personal conduct, off the clock lifestyles, and decisions of past, present and future associates.

I wonder if my CEO knows I cut the tags off of my mattress. He is so going down....

This has to be the most ridiculous, poorly thought out thread of the decade.

Goodell is paid a ton of money to be the flak for 32 owners who make all the decidions, all the rules. Goodell is just the public face they can hide behind. He does nothing without their direction, consent and order.

Anyway, considering the insane amount of success and money the NFL lords over all other professional sports and the intensity with which fans obsess over every tiny detail and drama of the league, Goodell is a bargain compaired to MLB and the NBA. Bettman, who has been commsioning the rotting corpse of the NHL for years was payed 8 million last year!

Tax exempt, multi-billion dollar parent company? You should research the corporate structure of the NFL. Your impressions are pretty far off base.

Any why would a compensation package of any amount that is privately negotiated between an individual and those who are paying him with their own money ever be ridiculous? Is your salary subject to scrutiny by someone other than your employer and you?

Weird how many people are shocked to see the commissioner of the NFL making that much money. Have you guys seen the TV deals?

There is no justifying his salary. For comparison. the President earns $400,000. **** is out of whack

This has to be the most ridiculous, poorly thought out thread of the decade.

Goodell is paid a ton of money to be the flak for 32 owners who make all the decidions, all the rules. Goodell is just the public face they can hide behind. He does nothing without their direction, consent and order.

Anyway, considering the insane amount of success and money the NFL lords over all other professional sports and the intensity with which fans obsess over every tiny detail and drama of the league, Goodell is a bargain compaired to MLB and the NBA. Bettman, who has been commsioning the rotting corpse of the NHL for years was payed 8 million last year!

ill double up on this.

Great job Roger!

LMAO...first, has nothing to do with him. Second, your comment on Michael Sam says all we need to know about your ability (or lack there of) to post with any shred of logic.

1. Your comment regarding Sam is just so, so stupid and hateful. You are now the inaugural member of my ignore list.

2. You could have started an interesting discussion on whether Goodell does enough to control players, or whether there is a criminal subculture in the NFL. You didn't.

3. What do you think CEOs of billion-dollar companies make? Yes, it's more than the President.

EDIT: punctuation.

Edited by Offsides Number 76

Guys $44 million, to ruin and pussify the game we love?

For those of you justifying it by comparing it to other CEO's, don't you find it obscene that they make this much money as well?

To me, it seems excessive as he is running a company that doesn't pay taxes and demands that taxpayers fork out billions of dollars for new stadiums. Furthermore, he encourages people to keep coming to stadia where the rate of ticket prices has been inflating at a significantly higher rate than the cost of living. If you got word than any government employee got $44 million last year, you'd be ready to torch city hall, Albany, or DC. How is it not any different considering the amount of public funding that is financing his salary?

For those of you justifying it by comparing it to other CEO's, don't you find it obscene that they make this much money as well?

To me, it seems excessive as he is running a company that doesn't pay taxes and demands that taxpayers fork out billions of dollars for new stadiums. Furthermore, he encourages people to keep coming to stadia where the rate of ticket prices has been inflating at a significantly higher rate than the cost of living. If you got word than any government employee got $44 million last year, you'd be ready to torch city hall, Albany, or DC. How is it not any different considering the amount of public funding that is financing his salary?

On your first point, sure, but we live in a deregulated capitalist economy. That's how it works. There are other systems out there, but most people would deem them to be too "liberal" or "Euro."

On your second, it's old news that big companies find a way to avoid paying federal corporate income taxes while simultaneously demanding infrastructure, property tax and state tax breaks, etc. E.g., Apple.

We can torch and pitchfork Harvey Weinstein, Dr. Dre, and Alex Rodriguez, too, I suppose, but in our system, you don't get what you deserve, you get what you're able to convince others to pay you.

There is no justifying his salary. For comparison. the President earns $400,000. **** is out of whack

More like there's no reason to justify it to someone who's not paying it. And comparison to the POTUS is beyond silly.

No, I consider it obscene to begrudge others what they have earned and are being freely given by other private individuals.

If you are so concerned with taxpayer funded stadiums, why don't you call out the politicians who are actually giving away that money? Last I checked the NFL didn't have the ability to levy taxes.

Tax exempt, multi-billion dollar parent company? You should research the corporate structure of the NFL. Your impressions are pretty far off base.

Any why would a compensation package of any amount thatis privately negotiated between an individual and those who are paying him with their own money ever be ridiculous? Is your salary subject to scrutiny by someone other than your employer and you?

By all means, enlighten. I'm actually quite interested to know.

More like there's no reason to justify it to someone who's not paying it. And comparison to the POTUS is beyond silly.

No, I consider it obscene to begrudge others what they have earned and are being freely given by other private individuals.

If you are so concerned with taxpayer funded stadiums, why don't you call out the politicians who are actually giving away that money? Last I checked the NFL didn't have the ability to levy taxes.

The NFL is corporate welfare

As I've said before...the league takes in the cash and passes it to the owners of the franchises who pay taxes on the money.

But it pays Goodell first. He does work for a tax-exempt organization.

The whole USA is corporate welfare!

As I've said before...the league takes in the cash and passes it to the owners of the franchises who pay taxes on the money.

The whole USA is corporate welfare!

This is why I'm genuinely curious.

As offsides mentions, he pulls from the tax free trough BEFORE it's filtered down BEFORE it's taxed.

So which is it?

Also, this all to point to the less-alarming aspects of his salary.

As for KD scolding me because I say it's ridiculous. Sorry, but it is. Not because he doesn't earn it, not because he isn't entitled to it, not because I have some fundamental misunderstanding of how compensation works, but ridiculous because I, and I'm assuming most of the posters here (in spite of what some of the money bags who like to shame us will have you believe) have a difficult wrapping our heads around that kind of loot. Spending it, investing it, looking at all the commas in the paychecks, it's all just a very hard thing to imagine. It's ridiculous. It's an amount so absurd that it feels farcical to lowly earners like me.

I get that this is no new concept in the realm of professional sports, doesn't mean we can't check in on these crazy dollar amounts from time to time.

This is why I'm genuinely curious.

As offsides mentions, he pulls from the tax free trough BEFORE it's filtered down BEFORE it's taxed.

So which is it?

Also, this all to point to the less-alarming aspects of his salary.

As for KD scolding me because I say it's ridiculous. Sorry, but it is. Not because he doesn't earn it, not because he isn't entitled to it, not because I have some fundamental misunderstanding of how compensation works, but ridiculous because I, and I'm assuming most of the posters here (in spite of what some of the money bags who like to shame us will have you believe) have a difficult wrapping our heads around that kind of loot. Spending it, investing it, looking at all the commas in the paychecks, it's all just a very hard thing to imagine. It's ridiculous. It's an amount so absurd that it feels farcical to lowly earners like me.

I get that this is no new concept in the realm of professional sports, doesn't mean we can't check in on these crazy dollar amounts from time to time.

He makes that kind of money because people watch the sport and in larger quantities than people watch any other sport (except maybe for the world cup). So simply, if you don't want to contribute to his salary, don't go to games, don't get the NFL package, don't buy merchandise and as the league starts losing money, he'll be gone.

And 44M is nothing, just ask Bernie Ecclestone.

If he lives in NY then he's paying $20 million in state and federal taxes. Sounds like a liberal's dream to me.

A good President is worth so much more. When will we get a good one?

Honestly, do you even know what that means? Based on this answer I'm guessing no. Businesses pay taxes on profits, not expenses.

And who is to blame for that?

What exactly does this mean in the context of taxes on business profits? I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how taxation works too.

If he lives in NY then he's paying $20 million in state and federal taxes. Sounds like a liberal's dream to me.

Apparently, in addition to the payroll taxes the NFL is paying, and the income and payroll taxes Goodell is paying, the NFL should be paying some other magical 'not tax-exempt' tax on that particular $30MM. I better go back and check our company tax returns; all this time we've been deducting compensation as a businesses expense to calculate taxable income.