Rosenthal bold face lies about EJ in an NFL.com…

1billsfan

We don't know if EJ is the guy or not. We do know we have too much invested in him to draft a QB early next year. We would be smart to have a quality veteran back-up like FItz in place next year with Thad the number #3 guy. Smartest thing this organization can do is draft a T in Rd 1 and pick up a very good G in FA and build a solid ground attack. Then we can let EJ mature around a strong ground game. A #1 WR wouldn't hurt.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO "not remotely ready" sez he didn't see all of Buffalo's games.

That said, Manuel has a TON to prove and IMprove on in 2014.

How hard is he going to work in the os? Is he going to go the early career Brady route and earn the parking spot awarded to the player that puts in the most work in the offseason? Is he going to shore up the accuracy issues that plagued him in his rookie year? Is he going to grab the team by the balls and lead it? Crap, is he going to stay on the field enough in 2014 to answer those questions? We'll see.

You don't like Gil Brandt or Mike Mayock?

I like Maycock. And as I said, I'm generally fine with Rosenthal. But nfl.com is not stacked with people I'd call good "writers" - the site props up the league and Rosenthal is paid to have opinions not to write good sentences.

I like Maycock. And as I said, I'm generally fine with Rosenthal. But nfl.com is not stacked with people I'd call good "writers" - the site props up the league and Rosenthal is paid to have opinions not to write good sentences.

Do you like it as well in April and June?

We need to draft a new QB and start the process all over. And then draft another in 2015, and two more in 2016, then fire the front office and draft 12 QBs in 2017. Everyone wants rookies to play like pro bowlers.

Most here give no thought to how badly Fitzpatrick's leaving hurt the team this year. He left to the Flaming Thumbtacks for the same money The Bills offered, and took his pride and his NFL experience with him leaving Buffalo having to dumpster dive for a credible backup. That "dive" ended up being a 3 1/2 twisting belly flop in the pike position when they came up with Kolb.

Its laughable to believe that churning quarterbacks helps, not hurts a team. If Fitz had swallowed his pride and stayed, The Bills probably would be in the playoffs this year, because even if he was the backup here - as he was in Nashville when the season started - he would have won more than Tuel and Lewis and the FO could have rested EJ longer than they did.

Gregg Rosenthal's assessment of NFL quarterbacks is spot on and the most accurate I have ever seen. I agree with him 100% You have to remember he is not a "homer" drinking the Kool aid. He is not biased and tells it like it is. He has no loyalty to any team so he can report honestly and accurately. That's why he gets paid the big bucks, he understands the game and can accurately report what he sees on the field. An outsider like him will give you and honest and true assessment because they are not attached to any team.

Thanks for dropping by Gregg's mom. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas.

As for EJ Manuel, the grade is clearly incomplete. He has been inconsistent at best—but he is a rookie. At this point, we all want to believe he's "the guy," but that is very hard to honestly say right now.

His only consistent trait this season has been injuries.

Only time will tell, but the problem is, this is the new NFL and QB's generally are not going to be given a lot of time. He will get next season, and then a real decisions can be made. (And as a long-suffering Bills fan, that is so painfully hard to accept.)

Edited by CSBill

Most here give no thought to how badly Fitzpatrick's leaving hurt the team this year. If Fitz had stayed, the Bills probably would be in the playoffs this year, because even if he was the backup here - as he was in Nashville when the season started - he would have won more than Tuel and Lewis and the FO could have rested EJ longer than they did.

If Fitz had stayed on this team, he would have won the starting job easily because even with his interception stats and accuracy issues, he is still head and shoulders above the current Qb talent on the roster. And with Fitz's intelligence he would have made an excellent mentor for EJ. And Fitz is tough as nails durable. Then maybe in a couple years EJ would have began outplaying Fitz in practice and could have become the starter. Instead, EJ gets thrown to the wolves as a raw rookie and runs a real risk of getting booed out of Ralph Wilson Stadium next year if he strings a couple "Tampa Bay" like games together.

The Bills ultimately screwed up when they signed Fitz to that huge contract and overpaid him. Then they screwed up again when they brought in Kolb as a supposed replacement for Fitz. Anyone who followed Kolb at all knew that signing was a mistake and a joke. Kolb is as brittle as QB's come and played like absolute crap in Arizona before coming here. There is no way EJ should have been put in a situation where he would be starting any games this year. He had to start because the other QB talent on this team was even worse. The front office screwed that up big time.

This thread is hilarious.

1) After the Nix-Dominick phone call, there was no way Fitz was coming back. Even without the phone call his return was questionable at best.

Fitz would rather leave than be demoted and he was pretty clear about that. So why are we entertaining scenarios about Fitz being in Buffalo this season?

2) By a large percentage people on this board at this time last year wanted to hang Fitz. Where are those people now?

This thread is hilarious.

1) After the Nix-Dominick phone call, there was no way Fitz was coming back. Even without the phone call his return was questionable at best.

Fitz would rather leave than be demoted and he was pretty clear about that. So why are we entertaining scenarios about Fitz being in Buffalo this season?

2) By a large percentage people on this board at this time last year wanted to hang Fitz. Where are those people now?

They're the same people who were happy the Bills drafted EJ Manuel and were willing to give him time and live with the ups and downs of a rookie QB and who are now done with him even though he's given them the up and down season they were expecting at the beginning of the season.

EJ's qb rating is higher than most of the 8 or so players rated above him. He had a couple putrid games (Pittsburgh.....he should have sat another week) and Tampa. He's a rookie who has missed a lot of time. He is an excellent athlete, and I hardly think he's the worst.

Are you sure about this? He's better than average for a QB maybe, but he appears clumsy on the field to me.

…article.

"The Bills are in a tough spot with Manuel. He missed too much playing time and didn't look remotely ready when he started."

This is an article from nfl.com. This is not from some fanboy blog. What, there are no editors at nfl.com to tell Gregg that this comment on EJ Manuel was blatantly false? EJ has had FIVE games with a QB rating above 86. Three of those they won and a fourth game was the Atlanta game where he led the Bills on two game winning type drives that were blown up by receiver fumbles.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000304038/article/quarterback-index-yearend-rankings

This is what passes for quality writing at nfl.com? I won't even get into the silly rankings of the bottom guys who he considers better than Manuel.

I could care less about subjective QB rankings. However, im not sure why you get so defensive about the statement. Its not that far off the mark.

There are many question marks about EJ after one year. And in a few games, EJ did not look ready to be playing in the NFL.

I could care less about subjective QB rankings. However, im not sure why you get so defensive about the statement. Its not that far off the mark.

There are many question marks about EJ after one year. And in a few games, EJ did not look ready to be playing in the NFL.

That means you actually care.

EJ's qb rating is higher than most of the 8 or so players rated above him. He had a couple putrid games (Pittsburgh.....he should have sat another week) and Tampa. He's a rookie who has missed a lot of time. He is an excellent athlete, and I hardly think he's the worst.

The ratings at the bottom are bs, but that wasn't even my beef. It's too bad this writer or maybe even his editors couldn't be be called out on this outright false statement. I don't know what EJ did to tick off this writer, but Manuel has had five games above 86 QB rating and three of those were above 100. He's even had a fourth quarter comeback and game winning drive against a team that is a true Superbowl contender and who without question has a top five defense. Then there is the Atlanta game were with the playoffs life and season on the line, Manuel came through twice with big time clutch plays at the end of the game.

So why does nfl.com think it's ok to lie and say Manuel "didn't look REMOTELY ready when he started"? It's not even an opinion, it's a false statement and I wish that nfl.com could be called out on it. I clearly still don't know if Manuel is a franchise QB or not, but when I saw this comment I was angry that nfl.com let this writer get away with this. Very few in the country watch the Bills, so a lot of people reading that are thinking that Manuel has been a horrific train wreck when he's only had a very normal rookie up and down season.

Edited by 1billsfan

We need to draft a new QB and start the process all over. And then draft another in 2015, and two more in 2016, then fire the front office and draft 12 QBs in 2017. Everyone wants rookies to play like pro bowlers.

As a person who supports taking another QB high if one is available you miss the point. It is understood that rookies will not play like probowlers but do we have to go through another three years of evaluation only to discover that maybe we don't have "the guy." The Bills need to think about options and a plan "B" because EJ has hardly shown enough to convince anyone that his isn't just another in a long series of wrong choices for the Bills.

This is a QB driven league and until the Bills find one they will be perpetually mediocre or just plain bad.

He didn't add that. That kind of matters. If you were a Arizona Cardinal fan reading that, you would have no idea that EJ did look like a starting QB in four or five games. In fact you would think the opposite is true and the Bills Manuel is a train wreck of a pick. Doesn't the truth matter anymore? Or is it just plain cool to just dump on the Bills because it's funny even if you have to make the stuff up.

Edited by 1billsfan

I am not sure that I disagree with him. They dumbed down the playbook in week 14. He made poor reads and audibles. EJ struggles with accuracy. I have been one to support him but have not seen anything that tells me that he is going to be a quality NFL starter.

its a tough spot. hes shown some flashes, and some qualities you want to see but.... coming out there was some talk of him being a project and having been beaten up hes gotten the least amount of time to work on his craft. additionally, we just dont know how much his injuries are effecting his mechanics (both physically not being 100%, and the mental aspect). hopefully with a full offseason getting starter reps we get to see 16 games that tell us the story on the guy next year.

IMO "not remotely ready" sez he didn't see all of Buffalo's games.

It seems like the only game he watched was the Tampa Bay game. It's hard to see Manuel as the worst QB in the league.

But even if he ought to be rated 10 to 12 spots higher, that still is far from good. Adding to the offense to get him some more help has to be the priority in the off season.

They're the same people who were happy the Bills drafted EJ Manuel and were willing to give him time and live with the ups and downs of a rookie QB and who are now done with him even though he's given them the up and down season they were expecting at the beginning of the season.

:)

He didn't add that. That kind of matters. If you were a Arizona Cardinal fan reading that, you would have no idea that EJ did look like a starting QB in four or five games. In fact you would think the opposite is true and the Bills Manuel is a train wreck of a pick. Doesn't the truth matter anymore? Or is it just plain cool to just dump on the Bills because it's funny even if you have to much the stuff up.

Ya, i hear ya.

We watch all the games. Who knows what games this guy watched - maybe the Pitt/TB games.

I agree with you. We should wait until Manuel's contract is about to expire before making a decision. After what we've been through another 3 seasons don't amount to a pimple on an elephants buttocks.

eJ probably does get this offseason and next season to show what he has. I just think the BIlls lack the balls to draft another QB high and then let them battle it out. There will be the inevitable excuse that there are only so many snaps available ... Blah..blah. I really truly believe the Bills need to be aggressive in any way they can to get over the hump with the QB position.

Nix once said you take a CB in every draft. Granted you need at least three on the roster but why would the same philosophy not apply to QB until you know you have the answer? We've been through thirteen years of futility because the Bills have not found the right player. Odds are he comes high in the draft. Maybe once in a great while a Drew Brees or Peyton comes available via FA but welcome to the competition to get the player.

eJ probably does get this offseason and next season to show what he has. I just think the BIlls lack the balls to draft another QB high and then let them battle it out. There will be the inevitable excuse that there are only so many snaps available ... Blah..blah. I really truly believe the Bills need to be aggressive in any way they can to get over the hump with the QB position.

Nix once said you take a CB in every draft. Granted you need at least three on the roster but why would the same philosophy not apply to QB until you know you have the answer? We've been through thirteen years of futility because the Bills have not found the right player. Odds are he comes high in the draft. Maybe once in a great while a Drew Brees or Peyton comes available via FA but welcome to the competition to get the player.

because, as youve said, that corner is always on the field, ideally. In putting 2 first round picks into 1 starting spot, you are taking away a weapon that qb could use to score, or a blocker that keeps their pocket clean, or even a defender that could help the team put the ball in better field position. in taking qb first for 2 straight years your conceding that you are spending atleast 1 first round pick on a backup, and then taking practice reps and talent away from the one on the field to succeed with. its certainly a risky play.

Edited by NoSaint

EJ hasn't looked very good all year. he had moments, but he very slow gettign going in eveyr game, and very inconsistent with accuracy, and slow going through read progressions

The Bills would be very wise to go big on QB an dlet them duke it out. We would have depth, insurance and competition at QB which is WAY overdue.

The fact is this franchise cna il lafford to put all its eggs in a 1 QB basket... and no Thad Lewis orTuel is not enough

To me it makes little sense to take a QB high in this next draft when you just drafted a 1st round QB.......and I disagree with people who say that EJ has not looked good all year......he HAS looked good at times but has shown that he is inconsistent and needs work.......its pretty obvious that he has the teams confidence and there is no locker room lawyering (that I can see) going on between him and Thad.

No....what they need to do is

- Bring in someone good to work with him on his mechanics this offseason.......and quiet frankly I would bring someone in to work with him on his baseball slide as well.......its his FOOTWORK that makes him not accurate at times

- Improve the OL

- Get him a quality TE....I think we should also resign Chandler.....but he needs a better TE

Then draft another QB......maybe in the 3rd round or so..........don't draft a 6th round QB that does nothing for this team.

26CornerBlitz - Manual is ranked 30th in the NFL. There are only 32 teams. I can't see how anyone can argue that he is not one of the worst QBs in the NFL.

Comparing/Contrasting Manuel as a rookie QB with any veteran QB is extremely premature in my view given his inexperience and small sample size that has only been exacerbated by time missed due to multiple knee injuries. IMO it's just not valid, but have at it.

eJ probably does get this offseason and next season to show what he has. I just think the BIlls lack the balls to draft another QB high and then let them battle it out.

This is simply not a fair statement to the Bills.

Again since the Steve Walsh/Troy Aikman situation in 1989, none of the 32 teams in the NFL have gone first round quarterback in consecutive years.

So why would you bash the Bills, particularly before April has even rolled around?

because, as youve said, that corner is always on the field, ideally. In putting 2 first round picks into 1 starting spot, you are taking away a weapon that qb could use to score, or a blocker that keeps their pocket clean, or even a defender that could help the team put the ball in better field position. in taking qb first for 2 straight years your conceding that you are spending atleast 1 first round pick on a backup, and then taking practice reps and talent away from the one on the field to succeed with. its certainly a risky play.

I see your point but times have changed wrt the rule changes and the CBA. First round QBs used to cost teams untold millions (Jamarcus Russell) Now they cost very little. And the position has become twice as important due to the rule changes.

In 2013, the Bills selected a first round qb, yet they still managed to score big in round 2. In short, if they think that they have a chance at a QB that they think will be elite, they should not pass on him simply because Manuel is on the roster.

Jmo.

No, but 16 games would be nice.

Are you sure about this? He's better than average for a QB maybe, but he appears clumsy on the field to me.

I'm surprised not many people have commented on this. OK, maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

Anyway, Beerball is right. He looks slow, lumbering--not quick of foot. Watching Wilson as a rookie, effortlessly evading pressure while moving in and out of the pocket..and watching EJ, it's like two completely different types of QBs.

I don't see the same level of confidence either. He looks like he struggles with his progressions, or just doesn't see the open receiver. Also, for a big guy his arm doesn't look as powerful as similarly sized QBs.

I am not sure that I disagree with him. They dumbed down the playbook in week 14. He made poor reads and audibles. EJ struggles with accuracy. I have been one to support him but have not seen anything that tells me that he is going to be a quality NFL starter.

+1 Out of all the ups and downs EJ has had this season dumbing down the playbook again is the one action that tips the balance to drafting a top prospect in 2014, IMO.

Draft another QB? Why? We have some on our roster already! And they already have helmets and jerseys. It would be a HUGE hassle to invest time looking for ANOTHER quarterback. I mean, where would they sit? The benches aren't long enough. EJ's shown us that he can come back from injuries. Three times! How many more times does he have to prove it to you?

+1 Out of all the ups and downs EJ has had this season dumbing down the playbook again is the one action that tips the balance to drafting a top prospect in 2014, IMO.

BS. He was a rookie asked to run a no huddle offense from the start. Also missing 6 weeks didn't help. Not many rookies were given as much responsibility as EJ was from the jump.

But seriously let's draft a qb in the 1st round. And the second he struggles, we can give up on him & draft another guy in the 1st. And then keep doing until we get a pro bowl rookie qb!