A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

1) Leodis McKelvin is a pleasure to watch. I am the very first to admit that I thought little of him before this season. This man can cover.

2) Cordy Glenn gets better each week. Yeah, he really does.

3) Early in the game I wrote in my notes that Mario was a non-factor. But he kept fighting and he made tackles, blocked a pass, and had a sack. He makes the big bucks and doesn't quit. He sure has my respect!

4) We have had a whole bunch of "apology threads" on this board. Who is going to be the first to apologize to BADOLBEELZ about his take on Stevie Johnson?

5) In the end there's just a song.

Comes crying like the wind.

Through all the broken dreams,

and vanished years.

Stella Blue.

6) EJ was awful today imo. He always seemed slow to make reads. His completion percentage was not good, and he didn't see several wide open receivers. That said, the best pass of his short career was fumbled away by Chandler.

7) Bradham didn't show up well on the stat sheet, but he had a KEY tackle on the punt return with 4:26 left in the 4th. This stuff matters.

8) Badol, I am not going to start a thread. What I WILL do is state that I am sorry that I AGREED with you. Yes, it's true. You said that you wanted to keep SJ on the team and got attacked. I also posted that I wanted to keep him. I take it back. He lost us another game, and I am at a loss to remember a game that he has won for us. It's a shame that we couldn't get a 3rd round pick for him. I would take it in a heartbeat.

9) Is Summers just a bit too quick to signal Goodwin to down kickoffs? Seriously, do the Bills have THAT much to lose by letting him try to run back kicks?

10) I gotta tip my hat to Spiller. Was he hurt or not? Either way, he had some splendid runs.

11) The Bills need to lock up Branch. He and Hughes were the best Bills defenders in this game in my very humble opinion. I will take it a step further and say that the Bills would not have been in the game without key tackles and pressure from Branch.

12) I take it back. Gilmore IS a "shutdown corner." His stupid, ill timed penalties, as well as his poor coverage helps to shut down the Bills ability to win football games.

13) Once again, EJ needs more called running plays. He is good at running the football.

14) Being a Bills Fan is equivalent to a life of pain, but it is one that I would not trade. We truly are great fans to endure this.

15) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've stayed in every blue-light cheap hotel, can't win for trying.

Dust off those rusty strings just one more time,

Gonna make them shine, shine

It all rolls into one and nothing comes for free,

There's nothing you can hold, for very long.

And when you hear that song come crying like the wind,

It seems like all this life was just a dream.

I

Geno Smith was awful today....EJ was not....he was a damn good rookie qb in his seventh game who didnt make any big mistakes, completed 63 percent of his throws and put his team in spot to win with his play not just once but twice with the game on the line. ....soe of your comments are insightful. Others not so much....

I second that regarding Leodis....playing at stud level and making Gilmore look weak at best... No comment on Marcell? I thought he was solid today. Stevie - well, God gave him the short straw yet again, so let's not be too harsh on him, it's not all his fault....

I second that regarding Leodis....playing at stud level and making Gilmore look weak at best... No comment on Marcell? I thought he was solid today. Stevie - well, God gave him the short straw yet again, so let's not be too harsh on him, it's not all his fault....

Dareus did play well. Kyle looked hurt but he is a fighter and he has my utter respect.

There are tens of thousands of fans with opinions.

Thanks for sharing this deep, insightful message. Is it time for bed? If so, ask someone to bring you your little blanket.

Edited by Bill from NYC

As I said in the Pregame thread, the key to the game was the defensive line getting pressure while keeping the Flacons rungame in check. Ryan and the run game exceeded their season averages. When you're offense scores 31 points, youre defense HAS to be able to tet you a win. Despite all the consternation with Stevie, Chandler, EJ, and so forth, the bottom line is they did their job today, the defense didn't.

That Falcon team with QB Matt Ryan, WR Roddy white, RB Steven Jackson, future HoF TE Tony Gonzalez is a lot better team then their record indicates.

EJ didn't turn the ball over, and he didn't lose that game for the Bills. Bad luck lost that game today IMO. Shi ...stuff happens.

I'm not gonna cry over this loss because I realize they are a few players away from being a very, very good team

Is there any other team that even comes close to the Bills in the past 15 years in the statistical category FAC - Fumbles After Catch - especially in crucial siturations. It's gotten to the point where for years now I reflexively scream "DON'T FUMBLE" seemingly every time a Bills player is running after a catch. And other teams don't EVER seem to cough the ball up that way for us.

It is truly remarkable to have yet another unique heart-ripping loss crafted from yet another unbelievable sequence of mis-steps. Factory of Sadness? Factory of Despair

4) Stevie is hurting the team.

6) I think one can't expect more of a rookie EJ than we are getting. He is promising as delivered (raw tools, physical specimen, lots to learn) - while also providing what the team needs when it counts. It is a crying shame that our "#1" receiver and TE cannot help him out.

9) interesting to me, and I'll look out for it.

14) Gosh, I think about throwing in the towel sometimes, and it's perspectives like yours - though we don't always agree - that keep me coming back.

Like you I was impressed with McKelvin. I think he and Aaron Williams have benefited the most from this defensive coaching staff.

I thought Kiko got caught up inside without covering his lanes for a few big plays. But his instincts for a rookie are superb. Lawson was a good value free agent pickup. Hughes was a free bonus.

I resolutely don't agree with you on Gilmore. He is playing hurt. When all is said and done he is our best DB. You may not see it now but be patient it will come to you. You were steadfastfully critical of Spiller but now you have reluctantly come around. I'm sure you are aware that he is playing on a bad wheel that won't fully heal until next year.

EJ is a project that I'm sticking with. I understand why Hackett has kept a tight reign on him but now it is time to be a little more aggressive and let him fling the ball downfield a lot more.

Was it just me but it seemed a very large segment of the crowd was for Atlanta? No one can argue that the Toronto series is nothing more than a money grab at the expense of a team's competitive advantage of the home field. Brandon is a good marketing man. But whatever he says about the Toronto series rings hollow.

That Falcon team with QB Matt Ryan, WR Roddy white, RB Steven Jackson, future HoF TE Tony Gonzalez is a lot better team then their record indicates.

EJ didn't turn the ball over, and he didn't lose that game for the Bills. Bad luck lost that game today IMO. Shi ...stuff happens.

I'm not gonna cry over this loss because I realize they are a few players away from being a very, very good team

Really? "A few players away..." translates into how many years?

Rarely, and I mean RARELY does NE's receivers make critical mistakes with the game on the line, and usually they are making unbelievable catches to help Brady out. I think it's a matter of the QB having so much respect from his WRs that they are afraid to be the guy to let him down. Maybe Stevie should be let go/ traded so that EJ is not the "rookie" QB in Stevie's eyes. One reason why I was not shocked when we beat the Jets without him. I truly believe if Stevie played for NE he would not have fumbled, but if he did he wouldn't be on the team long. NE Demands better and so should we. Sorry to be comparing us to NE, but it's the best way to make my point. :D

Can't get on EJ today; he played well mostly. Missed some throws and missed seeing a few open guys; made the big throws when we needed him too and had a great TD run.

I really think he's going to be a very good NFL QB sooner rather than later.

This one goes on a defense that allowed 34 points to a Falcons team that was largely inept much of the season, and on our 2 veteran pass catchers that can't seem to hold onto the football when the rookie QB puts the team in a position to win the game.

1) Leodis McKelvin is a pleasure to watch. I am the very first to admit that I thought little of him before this season. This man can cover.

2) Cordy Glenn gets better each week. Yeah, he really does.

3) Early in the game I wrote in my notes that Mario was a non-factor. But he kept fighting and he made tackles, blocked a pass, and had a sack. He makes the big bucks and doesn't quit. He sure has my respect!

4) We have had a whole bunch of "apology threads" on this board. Who is going to be the first to apologize to BADOLBEELZ about his take on Stevie Johnson?

5) In the end there's just a song.

Comes crying like the wind.

Through all the broken dreams,

and vanished years.

Stella Blue.

6) EJ was awful today imo. He always seemed slow to make reads. His completion percentage was not good, and he didn't see several wide open receivers. That said, the best pass of his short career was fumbled away by Chandler.

7) Bradham didn't show up well on the stat sheet, but he had a KEY tackle on the punt return with 4:26 left in the 4th. This stuff matters.

8) Badol, I am not going to start a thread. What I WILL do is state that I am sorry that I AGREED with you. Yes, it's true. You said that you wanted to keep SJ on the team and got attacked. I also posted that I wanted to keep him. I take it back. He lost us another game, and I am at a loss to remember a game that he has won for us. It's a shame that we couldn't get a 3rd round pick for him. I would take it in a heartbeat.

9) Is Summers just a bit too quick to signal Goodwin to down kickoffs? Seriously, do the Bills have THAT much to lose by letting him try to run back kicks?

10) I gotta tip my hat to Spiller. Was he hurt or not? Either way, he had some splendid runs.

11) The Bills need to lock up Branch. He and Hughes were the best Bills defenders in this game in my very humble opinion. I will take it a step further and say that the Bills would not have been in the game without key tackles and pressure from Branch.

12) I take it back. Gilmore IS a "shutdown corner." His stupid, ill timed penalties, as well as his poor coverage helps to shut down the Bills ability to win football games.

13) Once again, EJ needs more called running plays. He is good at running the football.

14) Being a Bills Fan is equivalent to a life of pain, but it is one that I would not trade. We truly are great fans to endure this.

15) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good post Bill. I agree with most of the points you've raised. I know I'm going to take some flak for this, but I'm not ready to give up on Stevie. I agree he should have taken better care of the football; but the defender made a good play by dislodging it. I'm also not ready to give up on Gilmore, though I agree today was not a good day for him.

A few toughts of mine

1. If anyone has any doubt that TJ Graham is a nothing burger, this game should seal the deal. Rarely has a player been given so many snaps with so little production.

2. This defense with no. 1 and no 2. draft choices galore, is not elite. Roddy White and SJackson had probably their best games of the season against us.

3. EJ I dont know what to make of him. He did enough to win for sure. but he also got away with a few passes that should of been picks and one that was a pick six. His inaccuracy on the long ball really concerns me. Im not sure if he has "it". He limits mistakes, but I see more Matt Cassel in him than a elite QB. We shall see how he progresses.

4. FJ with another solid game wasted in Bills chokelore.....chokelore, I really think that sums us up.

5. God I need a drink.

I too don't get the EJ hate today from some quarters. He was fine. Did any of you watch the Jets game earlier? Geno Smith is a dumpster fire compared to EJ. I saw EJ make a nice run for a touchdown (and thank goodness for replay, because that was a criminal miss by the line judge) and make two nice throws in the late going, either of which would have put the team in position to win were they not fumbled away. The deep balls need work - Goodwin would have gotten a call or two if EJ had put the ball closer to him - but that, unlike the lack of arm strength that has plagued so many of our previous QBs, is fixable.

On the list of things that lost us this game - Gilmore, Stevie, Chandler, the zebras in the 4th, the fact that we were playing a freaking road game, etc etc - EJ is so far down as to barely even be on it. He was fine.

In terms of the blame game, I would rate the fault for the loss in this order:

1. Front office: for making this inane deal with Toronto. Gotta believe that had this game been played at the Ralph with the conditions and legitimate fans behind the team, the Bills win this one in blowout fashion.

2. Officiating: This one bordered on impropriety, and I really believe that the league should investigate. In particular, on the Falcons' final TD drive, there were 2 game-changing calls that were beyond questionable. The first was the illegal contact call on Aaron Williams, when he never even TOUCHED the receiver. The second was the pass interference in the endzone, when the receiver initiated the contact.

3. Hackett: The play calling was abysmal at times today. Also, inability to get the play into EJ late in the game resulted in a delay of game penalty, which ultimately played a critical role in their having to punt the ball -- allowing the Falcons ample time to tie the game.

4. Gilmore: I am really starting to worry about him.

5. LB Corps (Kiko included). Not a great game from this group today. Over-pursued way too many plays.

6. Stevie. No use beating a dead horse...

7. Chandler. Ditto...

Regarding EJ, he was far from perfect, but certainly played well enough to win.

2. This defense with no. 1 and no 2. draft choices galore, is not elite. Roddy White and SJackson had probably their best games of the season against us.

We need to remember that Roddy White and Stephen Jackson have been hurt for a good portion of this season. Jackson has played in 7 of their 12 games and White has played in 9 (and has been a shell of himself for most of it, gutting it out). Today they both seemed healthy for what seemed like the first time all year. They are damn good players.

I think our coaching staff is holding EJ back. The last two drives he was spot on. He was leading us to the winning score on both those drives. The conservative play calling is ridiculous at times. This is an offensive league.. And running delayed dive plays up the middle from the shotgun for most of the season is retarding EJ's growth. Whether he will be a franchise QB remains to be seen. But the playcalling w EJ at the helm is way too conservative until the game hinges in the balance in the 4th qtr.

As for the rest of the team, Fred is still the best player on the roster. He is a winner, a tough guy, and makes the most of every play he is involved in. Stevie chokes week in and week out. He is not strong enuf to play the NFL game. The ball should never be punched out by a DB. Same w Chandler.. He is not powerful at the point of contact. These guys need to bulk up in the weight room. A fumble after the catch should only come from a knockout hit to the head... When do you see any other TE fumble? Whitten, Gates, Heath Miller, Gonzalez, Graham, Pettigrew, Gronk. They steamroll people out of their way.

As for Gilmore, the guy suks!! In fact our secondary as a whole is TERRIBLE!! I believe we lead the NFL in sacks. How is it that we are 4-8?? That stat really bothers me... Anyone care to comment on that anomaly? Marrone has some serious work cut out for him going forward.. Go Bills.

Can't get on EJ today; he played well mostly. Missed some throws and missed seeing a few open guys; made the big throws when we needed him too and had a great TD run.

EJ played okay, but he is lucky.

He had 3 picks that were dropped, including a pick 6 and one that would have lost the game at the end of reg.

(Yet, people wanted to release Tuel for his pick 6).

Having watched EJ at FSU, I notice two things. Someone has screwed up his mechanics, royally. He is not letting the ball go very well when he has to check down, and he'd dumping too quickly. The latter I believe is a result of the coaches not letting him run. The reason he did so well at FSU was that when nothing materialized, he could rip off 10 yards easy with his feet. Defenses respected that and had to keep a LB in.

Edited by flmike

In terms of the blame game, I would rate the fault for the loss in this order:

1. Front office: for making this inane deal with Toronto. Gotta believe that had this game been played at the Ralph with the conditions and legitimate fans behind the team, the Bills win this one in blowout fashion.

2. Officiating: This one bordered on impropriety, and I really believe that the league should investigate. In particular, on the Falcons' final TD drive, there were 2 game-changing calls that were beyond questionable. The first was the illegal contact call on Aaron Williams, when he never even TOUCHED the receiver. The second was the pass interference in the endzone, when the receiver initiated the contact.

3. Hackett: The play calling was abysmal at times today. Also, inability to get the play into EJ late in the game resulted in a delay of game penalty, which ultimately played a critical role in their having to punt the ball -- allowing the Falcons ample time to tie the game.

4. Gilmore: I am really starting to worry about him.

5. LB Corps (Kiko included). Not a great game from this group today. Over-pursued way too many plays.

6. Stevie. No use beating a dead horse...

7. Chandler. Ditto...

Regarding EJ, he was far from perfect, but certainly played well enough to win.

Gilmore: I hope he gets better. I really do. He's played better than this in the past. Is his arm still bothering him? Is he in less than 100% best possible condition? Is he suffering from a lack of confidence? Or maybe those better performances early on his career were a fluke; or something offenses figured out how to counter. I just don't know.

As for Manuel: he averaged 6.5 yards per pass attempt: the same average Trent Edwards compiled over the course if his career. Like Edwards, Manuel relied mostly on dump offs. Saying he played well enough to win is like saying Trent Dilfer played well enough to win the Super Bowl.

Football is a team sport. A "well enough to win" from a Trent Dilfer on the Ravens could represent a much worse individual performance than a "not well enough to win" from John Elway on a 7-9 Broncos team.

Why r we just shitting on Stevie when Scott Chandler fumbled the ball as well?

Because if Stevie holds on, there's no overtime.

Because if Stevie holds on, there's no overtime.

EJ played okay, but he is lucky.

He had 3 picks that were dropped, including a pick 6 and one that would have lost the game at the end of reg.

(Yet, people wanted to release Tuel for his pick 6).

Matty Ice threw a couple that should have been picked. Was he lucky as well?

Gilmore gets a huge pass here. He could easily be called for PI on nearly every pass he defends, and he often is. He's a hack.

First round picks get all the love for whatever reason. After guys like Whitner and Maybin, I don't understand the faith.

because there's a large group of people that would rather burn a good player when they make a few mistakes a year and they never see anything good in them. They have an agenda and can never be wrong about certain issues.

The fact is, they didn't play well enough to win the game. No one did. They all sucked at times today. There wasn't a single Buffalo player that had a good game with the exception of MAYBE CJ and FJ. Everyone else can count this loss on them.

Because SJ is supposed to be our #1 WR who is due to earn $8.5M+ each year for the next 3 years......while SC is generally considered to be a stopgap type player who is paid accordingly.

The point being that the expectations on SJ to perform are much greater than the expectations for SC to perform.

First round picks get all the love for whatever reason. After guys like Whitner and Maybin, I don't understand the faith.

I personally started out with more faith in Gilmore than Whitner. Vic Carucci didn't even have a Whitner rated as a first round talent; yet the Bills squandered the 8th overall pick on him. Why do that when there were perfectly good trade-down offers?

On the other hand, Gilmore went about where most draft experts had him pegged. At least in this instance, the Bills' front office didn't seem to be doing something overtly stupid. "Not overtly boneheaded" is a long way away from any kind of guarantee of Gilmore working out; but at least it's a starting point.

I'll be the first to admit that Gilmore isn't playing like a starting CB should play. I hope that's just a fluke, or the lingering effects of his injury. But we could be looking at a longer term problem here.

Edited by Edwards' Arm