When were you most wrong on a player?

plenzmd1

I was none-too-pleased when we traded Peerless Price.

I was sick of giving away all our good players. "Watch him go to a real team and be a Superstar." Instead it seemed like that old saw about him doing what everyone else does when he hits the Lotto. He retired. Or just was never that good.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not a Bill, but my most recent "gotcha" has to be Geno Smith. I wanted no part of this kid with our 1st pick. I liked his physical ability but did not like his demeanor when the going got tough. The kid looks cool as a cucumber for the Jets whether he's playing well or not. Nice even kiel. I did not expect him to start, much less play as well (although somewhat inconsistent) as he has.

Nice work Geno Smith. I was wrong on you, Sir.

you should give it a few years first, Some QBs started out good then crashed.

mario still disappears at times and has 4 good games. leodis--while making an amazing transformation this year--still has to make up for several disastrous bonehead yrs at CB.

How dare you say that about Mario !!!

I thought McKelvin was just another fast guy who was turned into a DB because he couldn't catch the ball and a wasted pick. He may not be anywhere near Pro-Bowl caliber, but he still developed into a pretty good NFL DB.

Oh hell I don't even remember the guys name that I thought would be great but wasn't. LB/DE out of Virginia Tech in like 2000. I thought we drafted our own Jevon Kearse. But all he ended up doing was shooting himself in the leg. And I don't mean figuratively, he literally shot himself in the leg.

Yeah he was a machine in college, he is a perfect example of having the right coach for the right players. He was getting better under Wade but once dipstick Williams came in he ruined our great 34 defense and players like Moore. Plus I will never forgive him for getting rid of Ted Washington; the best NT of all time. :angry: :angry: :angry:

I thought trading Lee Evans was a stupid move, that he had 5 more years left in the tank.

Turns out he didnt.

Losman for sure. Though most everybody was wrong on him.

I thought Kiko looked too small to play inside in the NFL.

Lastly, I thought my ex wife was really cool and laid back when I drafted her. Whew man did I miss on THAT one. She was like the Maybin of chicks.

With today's NFL he's just the right size

Player that I thought would be awful: Rian Lindell. I did not think that at first, but when he missed that chip shot FG in the game against the Steelers 3rd stringers, I thought he should have been cut after the game. I was definitely wrong. Lindell turned out to be one of the few reliable players on a lot of below average-to-poor teams.

Player that I thought would be great: Lee Evans. I was thrilled when we drafted him. He was the player I wanted with the Bills first pick. While he did have his moments, he never turned out to be the player I thought he'd be.

I was 100% sure that keeping Lindell for a second season was a horrible disaster and that we couldn't get rid of him fast enough. Crazy wrong on him.I thought that Wannstache teamed with the Chanster was going to be the catalyst to make us a fantastic team. oof.

Definitely Mike Williams, #3 in the draft, and we've never picked that high since, and oh, we haven't had a franchise quarterback in a long time. I don't even know who was available that year, but anyone would have been better than MW. I was stoked about the pick, although, right after they drafted him someone on NFLN said how they thought it was a great pick, but their only concern was how players at Texas were babied and as a result were not ready for the real world of the NFL.

THis is why I don't listen to commentary after a pick any more.

At least our new williams brothers are making up for that gaffe.

I thought Dareus was the best player in the 2011 draft yet here we are 3 years later and he's nowhere near that good. He's better this year to be sure, but I don't think he'll ever be as good as I thought he was. I was ecstatic that the Bills got him at 3. I believed that when paired with K. Williams nobody would be able to run on the Bills. How I've been wrong.

I can't decide if I was right or wrong about Reggie Bush. I thought he'd flop because all he did at USC was outrun the slower defenses to the corner and hit big runs. Until he learned to run between the tackles he'd be a bust. That proved to be true but I never thought he'd learn to do so. He has and he's turned into a good back because of it.

This is the same thought I had about CJ Spiller. He proved me wrong last year because of the spread offense but when he has to work out of a traditional O he's reverted back to his old habits.

you should give it a few years first, Some QBs started out good then crashed.

The guys who do that are the ones who rely on talent and athleticism and not technique. Geno has looked good because he's improved his footwork a lot. He looks good in the pocket when he has time and doesn't rush his throws unnecessarily. He's been well coached by David Lee and Marty Mornhinweg. Granted, Geno panics under pressure some but he's still a rookie and that's normal.

I didn't want Geno in Buffalo at all and perhaps he still falls on his face but for a rookie he looks confident and poised out there. Better than I thought. Let's see what happens when things don't go well for a few weeks though. One of the main concerns with him was his head and how he got too down when things went south and his game suffered because of it. That could still happen.

mario still disappears at times and has 4 good games. leodis--while making an amazing transformation this year--still has to make up for several disastrous bonehead yrs at CB.

I see that as more of a coaching issue than a Leodis McKelvin issue. Leodis was extremely misused under previous staffs. He was set up to fail.

I was 100% wrong about Willis McGahee.

I thought Donahue was a genius for drafting him. I thought the kid would be humbled and gracious that Buffalo spent a 1st on him and have him a year to rehab. I thought he'd be a franchise back for 10 years. Only jersey (since burned) I've bought besides Jim Kelly.

He turned out to be a typical Miami hoodlum. What a f'n bum. Little heart, entitlement attitude, average runner. When that ungrateful **** dissed the city that gave him a chance I burned the jersey and couldn't have been happier when we got rid of him.

RTB

Definitely Mike Williams, #3 in the draft, and we've never picked that high since, and oh, we haven't had a franchise quarterback in a long time. I don't even know who was available that year, but anyone would have been better than MW. I was stoked about the pick, although, right after they drafted him someone on NFLN said how they thought it was a great pick, but their only concern was how players at Texas were babied and as a result were not ready for the real world of the NFL.

THis is why I don't listen to commentary after a pick any more.

At least our new williams brothers are making up for that gaffe.

If I may split hairs....I believe we drafted Mike Williams with the 4th pick and since then have drafted Dareus with the 3rd.

Bills: James Hardy. Thought this kid was gonna be a star. WAY off.

Non-Bills: Sam Bradford. Might still be too early to tell, but I'm thinking he's just not that good. I thought he, too, was the real deal.

I have everyone beat.

Ryan Leaf.

I told everyone I knew that the Colts made a huge mistake going with Manning over Leaf.

I was with ya! Leafs first game was against the Bills..we were actually there..Leaf looked great, Flutie almost rallied us to a win(think we missed a field goal) ....I came out of that game not thinking...but KNOWING Leaf was going to be one of the best ever.

Trent Edwards for me.

I was none-too-pleased when we traded Peerless Price.

I was sick of giving away all our good players. "Watch him go to a real team and be a Superstar." Instead it seemed like that old saw about him doing what everyone else does when he hits the Lotto. He retired. Or just was never that good.

I think Price would have remained a productive player in the Bills system.

I think Price would have remained a productive player in the Bills system.

I agree. Players get hung up on the #1 or #2 WR role. Price was never a #1 guy, but he was making a nice living as a #1A guy in Buffalo. As soon as he left for greener pastures, I think everyone (Bills fans) knew it was not going to go well for him. He was a very, very good receiver, IMO. He just wasn't that guy who could put a team on his back. In hindsight, I'm sure he now realizes there's nothing wrong with that. But he was a great Bill, as far as I'm concerned.

Somewhat akin to the unpopular opinions thread, but just a little different. Here is the thread to admit your mistakes on players and why we are not NFL GMs.

My biggest is Fred Jackson. I thought he looked old and slow in preseason, and I was thinking might be time to cut him. On my 2013 Bills team..Freddy might not be on it. Not saying he was not one of my favorite Bills of all time, just thought it was time.

I was also way late to the Flutie party...I was solidly a RJ guy

Ohhh...hate to admit these, but I think I have the wrongest judgment. In my high school days I went to a Bills preseason game and decided that a rookie cornerback named Butch Bird should be cut. He's on the all decade and probably on the all time buffalo bills team. On a more recent note I was a huge Kyle Boller fan and thought he would be an all pro qb. This is painful stuff to admit.

I was 100% wrong about Willis McGahee.

I thought Donahue was a genius for drafting him. I thought the kid would be humbled and gracious that Buffalo spent a 1st on him and have him a year to rehab. I thought he'd be a franchise back for 10 years. Only jersey (since burned) I've bought besides Jim Kelly.

He turned out to be a typical Miami hoodlum. What a f'n bum. Little heart, entitlement attitude, average runner. When that ungrateful **** dissed the city that gave him a chance I burned the jersey and couldn't have been happier when we got rid of him.

RTB

i agree, it was a bad pick, but the guy is still starting in the NFL 10 years later. How many RBs can say that?

Yeah, I'm still holding out for Bradham to step up, but I think between him, Moats, and Sheppard, you probably wouldn't see much of a difference plugging any of them into Pettine's D right now.

Sheppard might be the worst of the the three but not by much. And I mean that as a compliment to Sheppard, not as a dis to the others.

I agree that Shep has/had potential but Mason Foster and Justin Houston had clearly clearly clearly higher upside.

Mason Foster pretty much single handedly held down the defense on a talent-less Washington team. I thought Shep had potential but always believe he wasn't the best option at LB with that pick.

I agree. Players get hung up on the #1 or #2 WR role. Price was never a #1 guy, but he was making a nice living as a #1A guy in Buffalo. As soon as he left for greener pastures, I think everyone (Bills fans) knew it was not going to go well for him. He was a very, very good receiver, IMO. He just wasn't that guy who could put a team on his back. In hindsight, I'm sure he now realizes there's nothing wrong with that. But he was a great Bill, as far as I'm concerned.

The thing is, if you're a guy named Peerless, being a #1A goes against everything you stand for.

He's not a Bill, but my most recent "gotcha" has to be Geno Smith. I wanted no part of this kid with our 1st pick. I liked his physical ability but did not like his demeanor when the going got tough. The kid looks cool as a cucumber for the Jets whether he's playing well or not. Nice even kiel. I did not expect him to start, much less play as well (although somewhat inconsistent) as he has.

Nice work Geno Smith. I was wrong on you, Sir.

I for one, HATED Geno's attitude and was glad the bills didn't draft him... Now it's looking like he might have been a steal in the 2nd round for the Jests.. I truly hope we are not let down by EJ (fingers crossed)!!!

There is a long list of Bills #1 Draft Picks that come to mind who were HUGE mistakes.. :thumbdown:

Terry Miller, after gaining 1,000 yards his rookie season, he never came close again. Anybody remember him? Did he have an injury that derailed him?

Memory is a funny thing but what I remember is that he developed some kind of rare eye or brain problem that caused him to lose his peripheral vision. He still had his athleticism but couldn't find holes or see pursuing tacklers like before.

And yep, he looked great his rookie season. While the Bills have been historically bad at QB, we've been awfully good at RB. It seemed like Miller was going to advance that tradition.

RJ - talk about a battle of the measurables vs. the intangibles - RJ was a big athletic guy with a big arm, Flutie was a little guy who had heart and just knew how to get it done. I was convinced RJ was going to be the guy and was kind of ticked every time he lost snaps to Flutie.

John McCargo - I kept thinking that eventually he's play up to his draft status, but the years went by and the guy never did a thing.

Non Bill - Tom Brady - when the NE backup came in for an injured Bledsoe I thought he'd get killed and NE would take a dive - couldn't have been happier seeing them without their starting QB and having to ride a late round draft pick. I can't stand Brady, but even his biggest haters have to admit he's a 1st ballot hall of famer.....

I thought Trent Edwards was the real deal when we started 4-1 in 2008. A lot of people don't remember that he played his best game AFTER returning from the head injury (the balloon game against San Diego). After that though, it was all downhill.

So did I. I was 'thrilled' we had finally found our guy. He was not a first rounder but what a 'gem' he was. He had 'it.' We all know Bill Walsh endorsed him. Peter King had him as the 'first quarter of the season' MVP that year:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/09/29/Week4/index.html

Memory is a funny thing but what I remember is that he developed some kind of rare eye or brain problem that caused him to lose his peripheral vision. He still had his athleticism but couldn't find holes or see pursuing tacklers like before.

And yep, he looked great his rookie season. While the Bills have been historically bad at QB, we've been awfully good at RB. It seemed like Miller was going to advance that tradition.

found this http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/5/5/2155085/terry-miller-trade-buffalo-bills-bust

Fun topic OP....Leodis for sure. He is having a stellar damn near pro bowl stellar.

Let McKelvin serve as an example of Bills fans being way too hasty to write guys off as "busts"...it really took him 4 seasons (and lots of crummy coaching) to turn into a solid starting corner. I am not convinced all the issues he had were him....but in general, we are way too quick to write guys off...

RJ, and it isn't close. He had SO much talent that I thought that even after he left Buffalo he would develop at some point. Then, I was at RWS when the Redskins put him in and Schobel almost killed him. People knew he was horrible WAY before I did and I just couldn't understand. Ultimately, there was a reason that a qb with those skills and tools was not drafted until round 4.

Antowain Smith. I thought he was a can't miss battering ram out of Houston. Our version of Christian Okoye.

Man, some people are TOUGH. Antowain was a very good Bill. His career went south after leaving Buffalo.