When were you most wrong on a player?

plenzmd1

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question that I have not ever asked for fear of embarrassment:

Did Sheppard make Poz look better then what he was in hindsight? Was Poz really any better? Was he worse? What was the Sheppard effect?!

Poz is definitely a solid starting LB. The definition of a downhill thumper. Solid tackler, and despite being slow, not a complete liability in coverage.

In a sense they are similar players, at least as far as the role they play. The thing with Sheppard is that he's fine in space, he just constantly gets neutralized at the point of attack. Not fast or quick enough to be a coverage LB tho.

I know numbers don't always tell the whole story, but Poz has continued to be a tackling machine. I realize he doesn't make enough of the splash plays like Kiko, or get in the backfield enough to be recognized as one of the better LBs in the league, but I think most GMs would take him in a heart beat.

In regard to comparing the two- I guess this is kind of a dodge, but I don't really link the two. Like I said, Poz is a guy you'd be happy to have on your team, but you'd still always be looking for an upgrade since he plays a premier position, IMO.

So, I guess you could say the Kelvin effect is twofold: You don't realize what you got 'til it's gone, and I think we all collectively wanted Kelvin to be that "splash" impact LB that Poz wasn't. We all wanted a Keuchly or a Kiko and wound up with a Kelvin. However, I think no matter who preceded Kelvin, we would've been equally disappointed.

Poz is definitely a solid starting LB. The definition of a downhill thumper. Solid tackler, and despite being slow, not a complete liability in coverage.

In a sense they are similar players, at least as far as the role they play. The thing with Sheppard is that he's fine in space, he just constantly gets neutralized at the point of attack. Not fast or quick enough to be a coverage LB tho.

I know numbers don't always tell the whole story, but Poz has continued to be a tackling machine. I realize he doesn't make enough of the splash plays like Kiko, or get in the backfield enough to be recognized as one of the better LBs in the league, but I think most GMs would take him in a heart beat.

In regard to comparing the two- I guess this is kind of a dodge, but I don't really link the two. Like I said, Poz is a guy you'd be happy to have on your team, but you'd still always be looking for an upgrade since he plays a premier position, IMO.

So, I guess you could say the Kelvin effect is twofold: You don't realize what you got 'til it's gone, and I think we all collectively wanted Kelvin to be that "splash" impact LB that Poz wasn't. We all wanted a Keuchly or a Kiko and wound up with a Kelvin. However, I think no matter who preceded Kelvin, we would've been equally disappointed.

Well said, I agree... it is just painful to think of what could have been if only a few tweaks were done in our history.

Sheppard did not have what it takes to be an ILB in a 43 defense, nor was he a 34 passive d player. He needed a strong outside blitzing team which we could be considered now.

I defy anyone to be more wrong than this: I purchased a Todd Marinovich rookie card.

That is great. I'm curious if the card has any value. I would think there is a market for the cards of notorious flameouts.

That is great. I'm curious if the card has any value. I would think there is a market for the cards of notorious flameouts.

If there is then I remember trading a friend for a Kevin Maas Yankee rookie haha.

On the bills note, although he had his moments Drew Bledsoe disappointed me.

Maybe it just irritated me he was the patriots sloppy second..

I've had Blind Bills Faith in a ton of players but Losman and McKelvin stand out as players I really thought I knew something about. Leodis did play at a high level very end of last season but we'd seen him run hot/cold before and I couldnt buy in. He's become an excellent cover corner for us, learned to track the ball yes but also presses better, and is more consistent in coverage. He hasn't been burned on a double move yet! With he, Gilmore, Brooks, Robey, CB is a done deal. Bargain contract too

D. Bell. Oh the shame

Count me among those who got excited about Bradham. There's a good lesson here

I have to say Whitner too. Just thought he'd be better, in every way.

Somewhat akin to the unpopular opinions thread, but just a little different. Here is the thread to admit your mistakes on players and why we are not NFL GMs.

My biggest is Fred Jackson. I thought he looked old and slow in preseason, and I was thinking might be time to cut him. On my 2013 Bills team..Freddy might not be on it. Not saying he was not one of my favorite Bills of all time, just thought it was time.

I was also way late to the Flutie party...I was solidly a RJ guy .

re Freddy - The guy has survived three first-round and countless mid-round draft picks. Now I'm hearing that he actually waived off the cart Sunday, said to let him sit out a couple series and see how he felt (only sat out one).

Re RJ/ Flutie - me too

Nice topic by the way.

I remember reading a lot of negative posts about McKelvin and Mario Williams. I'm here to tell all of y'all "I told you so"!

It's interesting, because when I saw the topic heading I immediately assumed it was coming from the angle of "Which player did you NOT like, that has turned out to be good", but there seem to be more from the other direction, players that people thought would be good, but weren't.

I felt McKelvin was an average-at-best, waste of a 1st pick, but he is now a critical player for this team.

I can't think of anyone I really liked that busted, maybe because if they sucked, they usually sucked right away, and I never developed high expectations.

Maybe Lossman.

Well said, I agree... it is just painful to think of what could have been if only a few tweaks were done in our history.

Sheppard did not have what it takes to be an ILB in a 43 defense, nor was he a 34 passive d player. He needed a strong outside blitzing team which we could be considered now.

Yeah, I'm still holding out for Bradham to step up, but I think between him, Moats, and Sheppard, you probably wouldn't see much of a difference plugging any of them into Pettine's D right now.

Sheppard might be the worst of the the three but not by much. And I mean that as a compliment to Sheppard, not as a dis to the others.

I thought McKelvin was just another fast guy who was turned into a DB because he couldn't catch the ball and a wasted pick. He may not be anywhere near Pro-Bowl caliber, but he still developed into a pretty good NFL DB.

Oh hell I don't even remember the guys name that I thought would be great but wasn't. LB/DE out of Virginia Tech in like 2000. I thought we drafted our own Jevon Kearse. But all he ended up doing was shooting himself in the leg. And I don't mean figuratively, he literally shot himself in the leg.

Oh hell I don't even remember the guys name that I thought would be great but wasn't. LB/DE out of Virginia Tech in like 2000. I thought we drafted our own Jevon Kearse. But all he ended up doing was shooting himself in the leg. And I don't mean figuratively, he literally shot himself in the leg.

Corey Moore? Supposed to be the next Bruce Smith and Derrick Thomas combined?

Yeah, that worked out well.

You and me both. I soooooo wanted him to be good, that I totally gave him too much credit for his rare successes and was too willing to overlook his shortcomings.

Coming out of college her really looked like a baller. Not in the mold of Urlacher or Willis, but definitely a difference maker, and it seemed like he could lay the lumber.

I still contend that he has the instincts, it's just his lack of strength and burst that hold him back form being a solid starting MLB. It seems he diagnoses the play just fine, but can't shed a block to save his life.

I wonder if things would've been different for him had he been drafted to another organization. Maybe he wasn't able to develop properly here.

I'm with you on that except for him developing in another system. He's on a winning team now and I don't see him changing the Colts defense around the way Kiko has made our defense better. One of my close buddies is a die hard Colts fan and he tells me Shep is a nobody on their D.

I know Pettine has a huge role in our D being the way it is but I also believe that Kiko being on the field and calling the plays to his teammates and recognizing offensive audibles and like you said about Shep, "shedding blocks", is a key role on our D also.