When were you most wrong on a player?

plenzmd1

I'm with you on that except for him developing in another system. He's on a winning team now and I don't see him changing the Colts defense around the way Kiko has made our defense better. One of my close buddies is a die hard Colts fan and he tells me Shep is a nobody on their D.

I know Pettine has a huge role in our D being the way it is but I also believe that Kiko being on the field and calling the plays to his teammates and recognizing offensive audibles and like you said about Shep, "shedding blocks", is a key role on our D also.

Yeah but they didn't develop him. So it's like he's starting from scratch, if indeed the Bills were at fault for not properly coaching and developing him.

He's a third stringer that barley sees the field now, but maybe he'll pick it up after another year or two. Maybe he's a late bloomer and we haven't seen the best of him yet.

Then again, it could just be that he's inherently physically limited and will never fully transition from college stud to NFL difference maker. Which is probably more likely.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poz is definitely a solid starting LB. The definition of a downhill thumper. Solid tackler, and despite being slow, not a complete liability in coverage.

In a sense they are similar players, at least as far as the role they play. The thing with Sheppard is that he's fine in space, he just constantly gets neutralized at the point of attack. Not fast or quick enough to be a coverage LB tho.

I know numbers don't always tell the whole story, but Poz has continued to be a tackling machine. I realize he doesn't make enough of the splash plays like Kiko, or get in the backfield enough to be recognized as one of the better LBs in the league, but I think most GMs would take him in a heart beat.

In regard to comparing the two- I guess this is kind of a dodge, but I don't really link the two. Like I said, Poz is a guy you'd be happy to have on your team, but you'd still always be looking for an upgrade since he plays a premier position, IMO.

So, I guess you could say the Kelvin effect is twofold: You don't realize what you got 'til it's gone, and I think we all collectively wanted Kelvin to be that "splash" impact LB that Poz wasn't. We all wanted a Keuchly or a Kiko and wound up with a Kelvin. However, I think no matter who preceded Kelvin, we would've been equally disappointed.

There was once a post that was so good.......

Yeah that's him. Thanks Google :rolleyes:

I did remember his name was Moore (because he was so underwhelming - best VT pass rusher since Bruce Smith, but too small for DE and too big for LB), and remember he was a third-round pick. But I had to double check his first name.

Was that Donahoe's first draft, or Butler's last (when he seemed to tank the draft out of spite)?

I did remember his name was Moore (because he was so underwhelming - best VT pass rusher since Bruce Smith, but too small for DE and too big for LB), and remember he was a third-round pick. But I had to double check his first name.

Was that Donahoe's first draft, or Butler's last (when he seemed to tank the draft out of spite)?

Butler's last when he mailed it in. Erik Flowers, Tillman, Moore, Drew Haddad :sick: Best player in that draft was Sammy Morris, and he was only good for the Patriots*

I have everyone beat.

Ryan Leaf.

I told everyone I knew that the Colts made a huge mistake going with Manning over Leaf.

Yeah, you misjudged both Manning and Leaf in one shot. Hard to beat that two-fer.

Still...you got a Ryan Leaf rookie card? Didn't think so...

From everything I had read, I thought Shawn Powell was going to be a great punter. It appeared that he was a student of the game, he had studied under ex-Bill Greg Cater. His credentials looked incredible All-American, etc

At 6-foot-4 and 245 pounds, he could even tackle the returners, as needed.

So WTF is he doing on game days? I thought the first shank was an anomaly, but then there were more.

I am disappointed that he did not turn out to be a very good NFL punter.

I wish him well, but come Festivus, he'll be near the top of the list of people who have let me down this year.

Absolutely I felt the same disappointment when he shanked time after time.

I allowed myself to dream the bills outsmarted the rest of the league when they picked up merriman I dismissed choice as a cronyism beneficial but he's worked hard and he's a very good third back. Other than those two I have never been wrong.

I also thought that Choice would be fumbling aplenty but he has filled in for our injuries quite well. I actually wish they would use him more when our RB1 and RB2 are limping...

I thought trading Lee Evans was a stupid move, that he had 5 more years left in the tank.

Turns out he didnt.

Losman for sure. Though most everybody was wrong on him.

I thought Kiko looked too small to play inside in the NFL.

Lastly, I thought my ex wife was really cool and laid back when I drafted her. Whew man did I miss on THAT one. She was like the Maybin of chicks.

I drank the kool-aid on Fitzpatrick after the hot half season he had that got him the big contract. His jersey is still hanging in my closet because I was certain enough he would be around for awhile I had no issue buying it. Doh!

Mark Kelso! Never has there a player that looks like anything but a player yet preformed very well for this team during his time!

Man I loved Kelso, never had any big expectations for him but as it turned out I just enjoyed watching him play. Somehow time after time he magically appeared in front of someone about to break it big and wrapped them in a bear hug.

I thought trading Lee Evans was a stupid move, that he had 5 more years left in the tank.

Turns out he didnt.

Losman for sure. Though most everybody was wrong on him.

I thought Kiko looked too small to play inside in the NFL.

Lastly, I thought my ex wife was really cool and laid back when I drafted her. Whew man did I miss on THAT one. She was like the Maybin of chicks.

I never thought Losman would be successful.

I still remember the first time I saw Damien Covington flying to the ball on every play in garbage time of an early preseason game and thought "I don't care how small he is, that kid's a player." Since then, I never make the mistake of thinking someone is "too small" to play linebacker.

I honestly thought Ryan Fitzpatrick would develop better under a supposed QB guru in Chan Gailey.

In 2010 Fitz was playing lights out in some games, like the over-time games against the Chiefs in Arrowhead, and against the Ravens in Baltimore. Then against the Steelers at home. Sure, he had some questionable games but then he was basically running for his proverbial life at the beginning of the season, carrying the entire offense. Spiller was worthless his first year. Plus, ya gotta remember that O line was so band-aided it wasn't funny. RT & RG off the waiver wire became instant starters because the depth was so bad.

The Bills lost Eric Wood week 15, and were crushed in the final two games without him against the Jets, Pats. Now looking at what happened during, and at the end of that year a normal person would think to shore up the O line depth. Instead they cut the backup center Geoff Hangartner, and paid dearly for it after starting the 2011 season @ 5-2. Center Eric Wood went down week 7, and the season went with him.

Then in the 2012 off season Gailey hired QB coach David Lee to help Fitz with his footwork and mechanics. Fitz spoke out about by stating that this was the first time in his NFL career that anyone had helped him in those areas. Meaning that it was all Fitz and Gailey did nothing to help his QB become a better player. Then the Bills drafted Cordy Glenn and they actually had a half way decent O line.

I thought with the addition of Glenn, Lee, and Wannstache the Bills would make some noise in 2012. Man, was I wrong.

Player that I thought would be awful: Rian Lindell. I did not think that at first, but when he missed that chip shot FG in the game against the Steelers 3rd stringers, I thought he should have been cut after the game. I was definitely wrong. Lindell turned out to be one of the few reliable players on a lot of below average-to-poor teams.

Player that I thought would be great: Lee Evans. I was thrilled when we drafted him. He was the player I wanted with the Bills first pick. While he did have his moments, he never turned out to be the player I thought he'd be.

For me it was Mike Williams. When we drafted him I thought "Finally, a domimant LT. Something we haven't had since Will Wolford." Boy, was I wrong.

I don't think Williams was ever viewed as a sure-fire LT...LT was a HUGE projection for him, and most people, including the Bills, accepted that upfront...

However...Williams had the size and all the athletic ability necessary to be a dominate RT for 10 years in the NFL...

Unfortunately size and athletic ability is all he had...He was missing ALL the intangibles...every single one... ;)

Ouch!!! That's pretty bad!!! :huh: