When were you most wrong on a player?

plenzmd1

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I defy anyone to be more wrong than this: I purchased a Todd Marinovich rookie card.

Sorta on that note, mine would be Todd Collins. I thought that he would be a good successor to Kelly. I was working with a guy who knew Michigan football well at the time and he kept telling what a great pick we made snagging him. I thought the Bills should have given him more time to develop,... but clearly he never did beyond being an occasional back-up

Good thread....

Edited by cage

I think TCali is saying that Manuel should be better at climbing the pocket.

I'm a big EJ fan but either he has an aversion to stepping up in the pocket or Hackett is failing as a QBs coach.

EJ has to learn to climb the pocket. He would also be well served to abandon is over-reliance on the Tarkenton-inspired reverse spin move. The pros already know this tendency and are gonna eat him up on it.

reverse spin - often catastrophic

3 steps up and 1 to the side - often great

hopefully having a guard that blocks anyone for any length of time helps that happen

Edited by NoSaint

Also surprised nobody has owned up to Tim Tebow,... there was a LOT of talk on this board about us drafting him with our 2nd round pick and lots of advocates for it. He even went to dinner w/ Jim Kelly before the draft who gave him his blessing. Thank God the Broncos jumped up in the 1st round and took him saving us another snakebit story...

Edited by cage

Also surprised nobody has owned up to Tim Tebow,... there was a LOT of talk on this board about us drafting him with our 2nd round pick and lots of advocates for it. He even went to dinner w/ Jim Kelly before the draft who gave him his blessing. Thank God the Broncos jumped up in the 1st round and took him saving us another snakebit story...

Nobody will own up to Tebow because his followers still believe he hasn't been given a fair shake.

Nobody will own up to Tebow because his followers still believe he hasn't been given a fair shake.

I like Tebow; I can't say I was terribly wrong on him though. I thought that a team could be successful if they designed their offense around what he did well. McCoy did that in Denver and they won with him.

The Jets and Pats did nothing to center their offense around him (not that they should have) and he didn't have success...not surprising.

+1 on Trent Edwards. I thought we were set at QB

I sadly am in this camp too. And it was basically based on ONE preseason pass that he dropped into a bucket down the sideline. I was like, "We have a QB!"

I've had a hard time looking at myself in the mirror since.

he can make ALL the throws?? he hasnt shown that at all.When under pressure he cant sidestep and throw properly.he throws off the wrong foot --and some of those passes...uglyyyyy and pathetic as well.

he better learn how to sidestep the rush .and learn it very quickly. thats something he shoulda learned in grade school.Granted he has pluses--like not being panicky,having a reasonably strong arm,and a certain cool out there...and of course he is very big and strong.

You said it yourself. All the flaws you see in EJ are learnable and fixable. I don't know the guy personally and don't work for the Bills front office. All I have to go by is taking Marrone on his word and he says that one thing about EJ is, he never makes the same mistake twice.

He's only played one quarter of a season. The toughest defense he's played was against the Jets and I'll admit, he didn't look too great. But neither did Brady.

Since Bledsoe, I haven't seen a Bills QB throw a spiral the way EJ does. Timing is off, yes. That's due to being injured during the preseason. Footwork is off like you said, but fixable.

Tannehill was being talked about on sports news as the savior of Miami. Best QB since Marino. To me he looked unprepared against us. Does that make him a bust? Every QB has bad games. EJ hasn't had enough under his belt to criticize yet. Then again I realize I'm contradicting myself with that statement so I'll also say it's too early to praise him also. But the simple fact is he has a lot of upside to him so I'll ride with that.

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

I like Tebow; I can't say I was terribly wrong on him though. I thought that a team could be successful if they designed their offense around what he did well. McCoy did that in Denver and they won with him.

The Jets and Pats did nothing to center their offense around him (not that they should have) and he didn't have success...not surprising.

I respect you as a poster, but to me it seems ludicrous to ever design an NFL offense around one guy who can't throw and whose style of play is very likely to get him injured. When he's gone, then what?

Given that Denver won in large part due to strong defensive play in the tail end of that season, it just seems there is more to the story than McCoy doing well with him. They turned the ship around, but even in that successful season they got throttled by the Buffalo Bills, no less.

I respect you as a poster, but to me it seems ludicrous to ever design an NFL offense around one guy who can't throw and whose style of play is very likely to get him injured. When he's gone, then what?

Given that Denver won in large part due to strong defensive play in the tail end of that season, it just seems there is more to the story than McCoy doing well with him. They turned the ship around, but even in that successful season they got throttled by the Buffalo Bills, no less.

I agree that it probably would not have worked long-term; obviously Denver felt that way as well. I simply meant that I couldn't call myself terribly wrong given that my initial position was that a team could have success with an offense designed around him.

I was fairly temperate with my Tebow support pre-draft, so I'm not really in the category that eball called out...I did feel like someone should respond that supported him though.