When were you most wrong on a player?

plenzmd1

didn't read 6 pages of posts so not sure if anyone said CJ Spiller. Unfortunately this is the opposite. I thought he was going to be another AP when we drafted him, but it looks like he's bust. Yes he season last year was fantastic, but he seems to be a "situational" runner. only usefull in open spaces, can't "power run" at all. 3rd and short he gets stuffed constantly, even last year. he has a bum ankle but was running poorly before that. he isn't going to make "something" out of "nothing" like Freddy does. how many times have you seen FJ turn what should have been a 4 or 5 yard loss into a 4 or 5 yard gain, he did it several times against Miami with a busted knee! I really hope CJ turns it around but so far, in 4 seasons, he has had one good one, and 3 poor ones, not very good for a 9th overall pick.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I defy anyone to be more wrong than this: I purchased a Todd Marinovich rookie card.

Bills: James Hardy. Thought this kid was gonna be a star. WAY off.

Non-Bills: Sam Bradford. Might still be too early to tell, but I'm thinking he's just not that good. I thought he, too, was the real deal.

I don't remember if I still have it but I used to have an OJ rookie card.

Hardy makes my list. Trent too, Merrimen, going old time Preston Riddlehuber (sp?), the giant guy who was a 7th rounder (Buddy guy, why can't I think of his name? Jasper?) Tasker being as good as he was...this list could get long if I really thought about it.

All that said, I liked in preseason FJ, SJ, Robey, oh and the rfa WR (with the drug problem, sort of but maybe we will hear of him again) we had this year.

I don't remember if I still have it but I used to have an OJ rookie card.

Hardy makes my list. Trent too, Merrimen, going old time Preston Riddlehuber (sp?), the giant guy who was a 7th rounder (Buddy guy, why can't I think of his name? Jasper?) Tasker being as good as he was...this list could get long if I really thought about it.

All that said, I liked in preseason FJ, SJ, Robey, oh and the rfa WR (with the drug problem, sort of but maybe we will hear of him again) we had this year.

I still have my OJ rookie card! Lol

And I'm a little worried he may come here and try and get it back...

Gary Marangi, he looked pretty dynamic coming off the bench compared to Sad Sack Fergy, couldn't wait for him to take over. :sick:

May sound odd, but Marangi is how I became a Bills fan. I was about 13, My father was a big NFL gambler. He had the Bills minus a few points and they were winning the game (can't remember who they were playing) when Ferguson got hurt and Marangi came in. He promptly threw something like 6 passes, three or four of which were picked, and the Bills lost the game.

My father was a fan of no team...just gambling...and in his frustration said "The only good thing about that piece of schitt is he's Italian. Mark my words...he'll be gone soon enough" So every week I watched, but the Bills were not on very often where we lived. I'd follow scoring updates from Phyllis George, comments from Jimmy The Greek, and the BIlls kept losing, but I somehow just kept watching and rooting for them...probably hoping to prove my father wrong.

I should probably get a Marangi jersey.

PS: You could argue I was wrong about Losman, but you could also argue he was never given a chance to develop properly.

You and me both. I soooooo wanted him to be good, that I totally gave him too much credit for his rare successes and was too willing to overlook his shortcomings.

Coming out of college her really looked like a baller. Not in the mold of Urlacher or Willis, but definitely a difference maker, and it seemed like he could lay the lumber.

I still contend that he has the instincts, it's just his lack of strength and burst that hold him back form being a solid starting MLB. It seems he diagnoses the play just fine, but can't shed a block to save his life.

I wonder if things would've been different for him had he been drafted to another organization. Maybe he wasn't able to develop properly here.

Same thing.. Those LSU LB's were just sooooo dominant in college and he seemed like a phenominal value as a 3rd round pick coming from a D that was insanely good. I remember at National championship game that next yr when him and Dareus were on pre-game show for Bama vs LSU and saying, Wow, it sure will be nice future of D with these 2 guys. I still love Dareus and think he is alot more effective than some. I think biggest issue with Dareus is he went 3rd overall in a draft where top end guys have really blossomed. If we had respectable records, he would be much better known.

Man, some people are TOUGH. Antowain was a very good Bill. His career went south after leaving Buffalo.

Smith had his best season after he left the Bills, rushing for 1157 yards and 12 TDs for the SB champ Pats in 2001. In six postseason games for the Patriots, he had 460 rushing yards (77 ypg). He had 92 yards in the SB against the Rams and 83 yards in the SB against the Panthers. He also had 100 yards against the Colts in the 2003 AFC championship game. He gained a very respectable 6,881 yards over his career, and was a big contributor in two Super Bowl victories.

Edited by dave mcbride

May sound odd, but Marangi is how I became a Bills fan.

For me, it was Dennis Shaw. I was 7, and he was the only 'famous" person, besides Dennis the Menace that had the same first name as me. It was a big selling point...I took a lot of teasing (for some reasonconstantly being called "Dennis the Menace" really got under my skin)...growing up in Buffalo, I probably would have come around to it eventually...but Shaw was the man!

Also, I think your case for Losman being misused, un-developed, could be made for a lot of the guys who have passed through Buffalo during the last decade or so...I don't believe that Chan Gailey, or Dick Jauron always fielded their best players...

I thought McKelvin was just another fast guy who was turned into a DB because he couldn't catch the ball and a wasted pick. He may not be anywhere near Pro-Bowl caliber, but he still developed into a pretty good NFL DB.

Oh hell I don't even remember the guys name that I thought would be great but wasn't. LB/DE out of Virginia Tech in like 2000. I thought we drafted our own Jevon Kearse. But all he ended up doing was shooting himself in the leg. And I don't mean figuratively, he literally shot himself in the leg.

Moore... Coming out of VT i too was thinking we would turn out to be a Von Miller type player... Never seemed to fit in and got mauled on runs..

I thought Trent Edwards was the real deal when we started 4-1 in 2008. A lot of people don't remember that he played his best game AFTER returning from the head injury (the balloon game against San Diego). After that though, it was all downhill.

Me too. Or at least I was the most optimistic about him of any of our lousy QB's during this dark era. The fact that we drafted him in the 3rd round after JP's decent '06 season made me think our FO really thought they had a steal. Then he looked cool in his first start vs the Jets & he never looked confused. The deep passes weren't always there, but I thought that would come with time. Not unlike EJ this year I suppose; except it was less common at the time for a rookie to not look like a deer in headlights so I guess it was more impressive then. Now you have 3rd string nobodies on the Texans playing well vs the best defense in the league on the road. Meh.

Two guys who I thought were going to be sure fire stars: Nate Turner (FB 1991-1992-ish) and Corey Moore (LB around 2000... Va Tech legend). Turner was a pre-season all-star...and Moore was an undersized linebacker, great college player...Turner made the sqaud IIRC, but barely had an impact before being cut...Moore dressed for about 6 games for the Bills, and maybe a few more for the Dolphins, but never really played...

Edited by Buftex

Smith had his best season after he left the Bills, rushing for 1157 yards and 12 TDs for the SB champ Pats in 2001. In six postseason games for the Patriots, he had 460 rushing yards (77 ypg). He had 92 yards in the SB against the Rams and 83 yards in the SB against the Panthers. He also had 100 yards against the Colts in the 2003 AFC championship game. He gained a very respectable 6,881 yards over his career, and was a big contributor in two Super Bowl victories.

As the original poster who threw Smith up on the board, I'd agree he was a better Patriot than he was a Bill.

Yup, I stand corrected. I still think he was very good on the Bills as well as on the Pats.