Jeff Tuel ... was a steal!

It's hard to see that as a good scenario, but if Tuel ends up being the real deal, it does take a lot of the risk out of the picture as far as the position goes. It's a QB-driven league afer all.

If both play well then you have a potential power move at the 2014 draft. That's the hope I have.

Its a win in my book. Rookie QB's get paid jack these days. I say let them both battle it out and let the best man win. As long as the Bills are WINNING who cares who the QB is?

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a win in my book. Rookie QB's get paid jack these days. I say let them both battle it out and let the best man win. As long as the Bills are WINNING who cares who the QB is?

It sounds nice, but reality says that a new regime will not let an undrafted rookie bump their number one pick. Only if their hand is forced by Manuel coughing up the job and I don't think he does that.

am i crazy for thinking that the talk should be a little more "tj yates, graham harrell, chase daniel, shaun hill, or even (gulp... i hate to say it but....) fitz, maybe even flynn etc...." than "manning, manning, rodgers, brady

Edited by NoSaint

I assume the folks in B-town watched local announcer coverage; those of us out of town were stuck with the Indy homey coverage on NFL channel. However, I had to laugh when the Colts play-by-play guy, while thinking that the rule was if the hand/ball started going forward it was a fumble, says that the hand/ball was definitely going forward,only to be reminded by the color commentator that if that was the case, it would be an incomplete pass. Then he quickly changes his tune in accordance with what was good for the Colts.

Did the NFL network black out this game? I have the NFL network in Pittsburgh and it was showing a replay of the Cards at the Pats. ?!?!

am i crazy for thinking that the talk should be a little more "tj yates, graham harrell, chase daniel, shaun hill, or even (gulp... i hate to say it but....) fitz, maybe even flynn etc...." than "manning, manning, rodgers, brady

Maybe, but Tuel has a better physical skill set than those backups. It doesn't mean he'll get it done from the neck up, but the raw materials are very solid. We'll obviously learn more in the coming weeks.

Wouldn't it be interesting If Tuel could beat out EJ? Hummm....

It sounds nice, but reality says that a new regime will not let an undrafted rookie bump their number one pick. Only if their hand is forced by Manuel coughing up the job and I don't think he does that.

At this point, barring injury or majorly crappy play, Tuel will not beat out EJ. EJ has taken too many starting reps and the season is rapidly approaching. Now next year is a different story, depending on how this season plays out.

At this point, barring injury or majorly crappy play, Tuel will not beat out EJ. EJ has taken too many starting reps and the season is rapidly approaching. Now next year is a different story, depending on how this season plays out.

The mere mention of Tuel beating out Ej is actually pretty laughable at this point. Specially after yesterday. They both played well. It's not like Ej played horrible and tuel was masterful. No, they both played well.

What is possible is Kolb losing his job vs Tuel. Not Ej losing it to Tuel.

The mere mention of Tuel beating out Ej is actually pretty laughable at this point. Specially after yesterday. They both played well. It's not like Ej played horrible and tuel was masterful. No, they both played well.

What is possible is Kolb losing his job vs Tuel. Not Ej losing it to Tuel.

And Tuel didn't play without his mistakes either. The fumbled snap. The forward pass fumble (has to feel the pressure and get rid of it faster). And the wide open TE that he waited to long to throw too, that might have been another TD but ended up incomplete.

I liked what I saw from Tuel, but will temper my excitement a bit.

And Tuel didn't play without his mistakes either. The fumbled snap. The forward pass fumble (has to feel the pressure and get rid of it faster). And the wide open TE that he waited to long to throw too, that might have been another TD but ended up incomplete.

I liked what I saw from Tuel, but will temper my excitement a bit.

Based on the reaming Marrone was giving the center, I believe the fumble was on him.

This says a lot about the talent of our young QBs.

But what does it say about the coaching staff?

Two rookie QBs and numerous rookie receivers…

Okay, San Jose, you've mentioned this twice and nobody seems to be biting so I will. You are right. To play two rookies in the first preseason game and have them combine for 35-44 and 319 yards is impressive. It's only preseason but that's partly the point, I think. Preseason games, especially inaugural preseason games, can be chaotic and especially difficult for rookies. Marrone, Hackett, et al did a really nice jobs preparing these kids.

It says alot about the coaching staff. This team was ready to run a true No-huddle with 2 rookie QB's. That in itself is impressive.

But it says something about the scouts to find these guys. Goodwin, even the kicker Hopkins, Woods, Kiko.

IF this keeps up will be one of those drafts that we look back on and say wow, they ( the scouts) scored one for the team.

No question you're right...And obviously the book is still unwritten on these two...but the fact they both looked very aware, calm, and considering it was their first NFL look...No question that speaks volumes for Marrone and Hackett...

But I will give a quick tip of the hat to the Bills Scouting Dept on Tuel...It was obvious the Bills were high on him during the Draft process...And I was kind of wondering...well...why?

Now I see why, and this is a kid who went undrafted...I'm pretty sure the Bills knew that was a possibility, and jumped at the chance to sign him...That's good scouting...Because at this point, even if Tuel only ends up being a decent back-up, it's a great find... B-)

No question you're right...And obviously the book is still unwritten on these two...but the fact they both looked very aware, calm, and considering it was their first NFL look...No question that speaks volumes for Marrone and Hackett...

But I will give a quick tip of the hat to the Bills Scouting Dept on Tuel...It was obvious the Bills were high on him during the Draft process...And I was kind of wondering...well...why?

Now I see why, and this is a kid who went undrafted...I'm pretty sure the Bills knew that was a possibility, and jumped at the chance to sign him...That's good scouting...Because at this point, even if Tuel only ends up being a decent back-up, it's a great find... B-)

Well, if the Bills scouting Dept really knew, wasn't it stupid of the Bills not to draft him?

Well, if the Bills scouting Dept really knew, wasn't it stupid of the Bills not to draft him?

Not really. You have other priorities and you just took a QB high. I am a big fan of Tuel, but he's still a prospect. They got talented guys like Gragg late. Seems to me that they played it right and landed more quality after the draft was over.

This was a deep draft.

Not to be a total Tuel tool but another thing that struck me was the night-and-day difference in the ball placement between EJ and Tuel to open receivers. Guys were adjusting to EJ's throws, but the ball was *right there* on Tuel's. You don't go 19-of-23 in 7-on-7 without putting the ball where your guy can catch it. There was one drop I can recall from Sampson, and one slant in the red zone that was about to get jumped for a pick-6 so Tuel deliberately sailed it out of the end zone. I can't remember an untidy throw, really.

So he beat the hell out of fringe NFL'ers, so what, that's still well above the level of college, CFL or Arena.

This is what jumped out to me as well. The ball placement was always right on. He has a strong and accurate arm, and there hasn't been an arm like that here in a long time. I realize that holes are smaller, and DB's are quicker when playing against the starters, but if you can't be accurate against the scrubs, you aren't gonna get better against the starters. Fitz was inaccurate against ANYONE.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

Exactly. However he hit receivers in stride and generally looked impressive. To me he looked better than EJ, but EJ was playing against the Indy starters (of course he was playing with the Bills starters as well, which is an advantage).

I saw Tuel early in camp and figured he wouldn't even make the practice squad. I was very pleasantly surprised today.

Can Marrone go with 2 rookie QBs? :)

There will be three QB's, we know their names.

Not really. You have other priorities and you just took a QB high. I am a big fan of Tuel, but he's still a prospect. They got talented guys like Gragg late. Seems to me that they played it right and landed more quality after the draft was over.

This was a deep draft.

In the same breath you will see other teams picks flop. This, as of right now, seems to be the best job our scouting dept. has done in MANY years at actually selecting players that will contribute and contribute early. Hats off to Nix, Whaley, and company for seemingly getting things right this year. :thumbsup:

In the same breath you will see other teams picks flop. This, as of right now, seems to be the best job our scouting dept. has done in MANY years at actually selecting players that will contribute and contribute early. Hats off to Nix, Whaley, and company for seemingly getting things right this year. :thumbsup:

Agree. At a minimum it appears likely that our first four draft picks will be strong contributors. There may well be others, even undrafted FA's that make a difference. I liked our draft as it unfolded and so far this season I like it even more.

Right now, EJ throws everything quick and effortlessly, improves on his mistakes, gets better during games(!), is a leader and can run. Tuel has proven out so far to be found money, he's no longer just a UFA. We are all going through uncharted territory now where we have two young QB's with upside. This doesn't happen in Buffalo.

I still need Kolb to come through though, hard to explain, but we do need him.

Oh, And the coaching is way better. Way better.

It will not always be pretty this year, but I say we all sit back and enjoy this ride. They may not win for a while yet, It's like we're back in the NFL again. Welcome back, everyone.

Edited by bobblehead

Wow what a great job of scouting. Tuel went undrafted. And this guy can ball. Great touch on the longer throws and I love the way he sells the pa fakes. You can tell very early on this guy is going to be good. As a starter or better backups, I don't know but he is good.

But before we talk about cutting Kolb, we have got to see the guy play in a Bills uniform first.

This dink and dunk stuff is designed to keep it simple for the rookie qb's. during regular season things will look much different.

The way sports works, Tuel could be the second coming of Peyton Manning and EJ will get every chance to succeed and then some simply because he was a No. 1 pick and teams don't want to be seen as blowing a No. 1 pick. EJ looked ok yesterday, although one could not tell if he can throw a long ball since EVERYTHING was dink and dunk, but in any event Tuel looked much better, although the guys on Indy's defense at the time may have had something to do with that. I just hope the Bills keep three QBs, because it is not hard to imagine Kolb getting hurt (Christ, the guy will probably break a foot getting out of bed), and Tuel will be needed at one point or another, and there is no way he stays on the practice squad if he isn't on the final roster.

Delighted with the coaching staff getting two rookies to win 44-20 first game of the season for them in the NFL.

Ya gotta just love these kids already.

sure we should keep Kolb to teach at the least. He probably already had a big influence on them.

Go Jeff !

Meh.

He was playing against the Colts 4th stringers. Even during EJ's best drive (the 2 minute TD) was against the Colts 3rd stringers.

I understand that optimism isn't bad, but don't get your hopes up too much. The more you feel up, the further you fall when you realize they aren't as good as you though.

Playing better than a playoff caliber teams 3's is a step in the right direction.... It's something our starters couldn't do in 2004 to make the playoffs.... Just sayin'...

Not sold on Tuel Time. Saw him play college ball for years. When he wasn't choking, he was stinking. He performed surprisingly well against 2nd/3rd string teams, and it's awesome he can get onto the field without hurting himself. But unless EJIII is the next coming of Russell Wilson, I'm not looking to Tuel Time for any big wins this year.

I hope I'm wrong.

PFF likes Tuel too...

https://www.profootb...eseason-week-1/

Great link. Thanks!

For those of you who haven't clicked on this link, it's worth doing so.

There's some discussion and advanced stats for Crezdon Butler, Jumal Rolle (he of the outstanding pick six), Doug Legursky, and Colin Brown.

I don't put tons of credence in advanced stats but they're always interesting to see.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Good grief why does everyone think the world will come to an end if we cut corn kolb. Oh no two rookies going in.. Who cares.? Why take reps and an extra talented wide receiver away from them(who the patriots will sign) , for what.. Kevin kolb? I see why they signed him ,but with what the rookies have shown, its what ya call a good problem to have.

When he was a collegiate player, I had the chance to observe the "two Tuels". -Good and Bad. My fundamental opinion of him has changed very little.

While Tuel shows promise in flashes, he is extremely limited in what he can do. His game can easily be taken away with a few defensive adjustments. EJ's supreme mobility puts him ahead of the rest of the field in my book. That said, Tuel to Easley did look pretty frickin' good. Still, I'd exercise great caution in starting a QB controversy between Tuel and EJ. -It's clear to me that we need both at the moment.

Two Quarterbacks anyone?.... Anyone at all?