Jeff Tuel ... was a steal!

Tuel has looked pretty great in camp. I have noticed him taking a few too many sacks in practice. Last week he also threw an interception immediately after music was turned up on the field - not sure if it was a coincidence. Here's some video I shot of that:

Also got him in a few photos - has a bit of an Eli Manning look to him:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13141302@N06/with/9490859434/

Cute puppy.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's the point. He really does have some potential. Better physical tools than Kolb.

If you watch the video in the article, check out the ease with which he gets some of those throws downfield. He actually has a bigger arm than you might think.

Might have gotten lucky here.

Not to be a total Tuel tool but another thing that struck me was the night-and-day difference in the ball placement between EJ and Tuel to open receivers. Guys were adjusting to EJ's throws, but the ball was *right there* on Tuel's. You don't go 19-of-23 in 7-on-7 without putting the ball where your guy can catch it. There was one drop I can recall from Sampson, and one slant in the red zone that was about to get jumped for a pick-6 so Tuel deliberately sailed it out of the end zone. I can't remember an untidy throw, really.

So he beat the hell out of fringe NFL'ers, so what, that's still well above the level of college, CFL or Arena.

Well, if it's truly an open competition, let him have a run or two with the 1st team def

This. The Bills need to learn more about what they have in Tuel. He's played head and shoulders above Kolb, yet unlike Kolb, he hasn't been given time with the first stringers.

Time for the Mike Leach disciples to have our say...

IT'S TUEL TIME!!!!! :beer:

Actually Leach didn't coach this kid well and sat him in favor of another one. He was also injured the year leach was coach.

Kolb will be kept as third stringer insurance in case the rookies go nutty.... A la Rex Grossnan in was.

I would hope. I don't really see any other point to keeping him, unless he burns it up in the rest of preseason (which he won't).

Congrats to Tuel and I hope he gets in the competition for 1st string if EJ doesn't have it this year. Although they both looked fairly decent, I was impressed.

What I started to realize last year and it became very evident through the post game calls to GR and postings on this board. All too many alleged fans of the Bills have trouble just having fun and enjoying moments of success. I really do not know what you're drinking or smoking but allow those of us who are truly fans to enjoy these moments without getting so wrapped up in having to be super negative whiners who start your 'troll' accusations rather than just letting people who are happy have their say. Yes ... we know this was a preseason game. Yes ... we know that Tuel was playing against 2nd and 3rd team fodder. But, we also saw a quarterback in control of his team with a true sense of the game plan and an ability to see the field and make throws. Does he replace EJ ... don't be silly (Even though some real naysayers were whining away on GR that EJ sucked when even the Colts TV analysts and the NFL network half time team were impressed by him.). So, if the only thing you have to say are words critical of someone who is happy with the game's outcome ... why don't you just find that dark corner of your cave and contemplate why you feel the need to rip people you don't even know for their moment of celebration. After all ... a fan is someone who wants his/her team to succeed and yes a fan is someone who has what can be at times blind loyalty to a team ... a critic is not a fan and if you live to criticize please do not think of yourself as a fun ... there's my rant ... GO BILLS ... EJ starts and TUEL TIME backs him up ...

This guy can play!

http://rotobahn.com/...shington-state/

Go Bills!

yep, if he hadn't had all those injuries when he was a junior and a new offense as a senior he may have been drafted and there would be talks of him challenging EJ instead of being a backup.

gonna be the best QB in that draft

it would be nice to have the best QB for once

Is it just me or did watching him move around up/down the OL, shouting out instructions, all animated.... he looked just like Peyton Manning running an offense... very impressive

Now you started it.

Actually Leach didn't coach this kid well and sat him in favor of another one. He was also injured the year leach was coach.

I would hope. I don't really see any other point to keeping him, unless he burns it up in the rest of preseason (which he won't).

Congrats to Tuel and I hope he gets in the competition for 1st string if EJ doesn't have it this year. Although they both looked fairly decent, I was impressed.

Congrats to Tuel yes Heck yes. But if Ej doesn't have it????? This was his first freaking nfl game. Can we cut Ej some slack? And in fact Ej was not too shabby himself. There is no way Tuel beats out Ej. Not this year. The thought is even silly. Kolb sucks bad. Let's get rid of that tool....

OR, the best thing about the Tuel situation is that it shows how effective our new coaching staff's ability is.

I mentioned this immediately after Tuel was signed and I watched the video highlights someone here posted of him:

(The idiots will take this and run the wrong way with it) but Tuel's throwing mechanics are eerily similar to a certain Buffalo Bills Hall of Fame quarterback.

It's actually uncanny.

Yes. Good snap.Little to no wind-up.Doesnt draw the arm back much.Ball gets out of there deceptively fast.

Once the draft concluded, Buffalo signed undrafted free agent quarterback Jeff Tuel.

Man what a bargain. Oh wait..... the pessimist says - Tuel played the 2nd half while the Colts were playing a 3rd, 4th and 5th string defense.

But alas he did play well and I enjoyed seeing the fast paced offence work well.

This. The Bills need to learn more about what they have in Tuel. He's played head and shoulders above Kolb, yet unlike Kolb, he hasn't been given time with the first stringers.

Guh? How much has Kolb played? Four days in camp? And has Tuel seen anything like the caliber of defense that Kolb has?

I am intrigued by Tuel, but let's not get crazy.

Guh? How much has Kolb played? Four days in camp? And has Tuel seen anything like the caliber of defense that Kolb has?

I am intrigued by Tuel, but let's not get crazy.

Isn't fan short for fanatical? Just saying. :D

The same site where I found the Tuel scouting report had this on C.J. (my guy.)

http://rotobahn.com/...for-cj-spiller/

What caught my eye was the linked article from 2012.

http://rotobahn.com/...he-beans-on-cj/

These guys know their Bills. They were right about Spiller and F-Jax last year. Hopefully they are right about Tuel too.

And, fwiw, they are really high on Goodwin, Woods and Manuel as well.

It's not JUST Bills fans.

After a long run of dreck, I am really excited about these kids. Please excuse my positivity. I realize that some fans are conditioned to wait for the dropping shoe. I get it.

I thought he was impressive. Sure he was playing against their scrubs. So we need some perspective. But at the same time, he was playing with "our scrubs" too. The kid has a presence about him and definitely seems to have a grasp of the offense. I think he ran an up tempo, quick hit offense in college too. So this scheme suits him.

I don't care who it is, a combined 36 of 44 for 312 yards, three touchdowns, no picks and only one sack on the BS fumble call is a damn good day for anyone in this league, let alone two rookie QBs in their first preseason game on the road no less...

yep, if he hadn't had all those injuries when he was a junior and a new offense as a senior he may have been drafted and there would be talks of him challenging EJ instead of being a backup.

it would be nice to have the best QB for once

Now you started it.

I know.... I'm certainly not implying that he will be Peyton Manning, just that way he was maneuvering and coordinating the offense in that hurry up reminded me of watching him

I know.... I'm certainly not implying that he will be Peyton Manning, just that way he was maneuvering and coordinating the offense in that hurry up reminded me of watching him

Hey, he's going to get more time. Our concerns about level of comp will be adressed soon enough. Tuel's bound to have a growth curve, but the point is that he has the capability to get it done. That's a nice place to start from.

Looking forward to the next game ... for all of the rookies, but especially the 2 QBs.

Wouldn't it be interesting If Tuel could beat out EJ? Hummm....

It's hard to see that as a good scenario, but if Tuel ends up being the real deal, it does take a lot of the risk out of the picture as far as the position goes. It's a QB-driven league afer all.

If both play well then you have a potential power move at the 2014 draft. That's the hope I have.