Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

My understanding of Parker's position is that Byrd was "under paid" during his rookie contract and he wants enough money now to compensate Byrd for being "under paid" for those years too in addition to getting top dog dollars for his next years.

Is there an agnet out there who doesn't think his client was underpaid in his rookie contract? And who negotiated that contract?

My understanding of Parker's position is that Byrd was "under paid" during his rookie contract and he wants enough money now to compensate Byrd for being "under paid" for those years too in addition to getting top dog dollars for his next years.

Is there an agnet out there who doesn't think his client was underpaid in his rookie contract? And who negotiated that contract?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd guess he'd want to tack a little on for inflation and going into his prime, but I don't get the impression it's a "you owe me extra", as much as simply "it's time, no more discounts"

Here's the quote:

“Under the system, the Bills were allowed to pay Jairus substantially less than a Pro Bowl player at his position makes for four years,” Parker said. “The Bills, under the CBA, have the ability to restrict his free agency by making him a one-year offer, which we can accept or not accept.

“He’s fulfilled every clause of his contract, and he’s played at 15 to 20 percent of what his market value is for a player at his position, and he did it for four years with no complaints.

“Now, it’s time. We’ve got to figure something out.”

So is Parker saying Byrd played at a pro bowl level for 4 years even though he was named a pro bowler (a late replacement addition at that) only this year? Not following his logic. Does making the pro bowl (barely) once maker you a career pro bowler?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

well, more than the agent, id say demaurice smith and a bunch of vet players negotiated those rookie contracts.

its part of the system, and i think eugene is acknowledging that its no harm no foul having him play under that system, but the system now allows him to dig in a little bit too.

Byrd has no real leverage right now and thus no reason to be traded. Either he signs the one year tender or doesnt get paid

Or he could hold out til November and still get his agrud (sp?) year. And I think, get paid til the season is over.

If Byrd leaves, it's because he wants to, not because of the agent. He could sign the franchise tender any time he wants, whether Parker wants him to or not. Parker has zero ability to "see to" anything; in the end, it's Byrd's decision. If he chooses to delegate all contract-related responsibility to Parker, then that's still his decision.

If Byrd leaves it's because the Bills aren't willing to pay him what another team is willing to pay him. Who wouldn't switch companies if someone else offered more money to do the same work? I don't think it has much to do with where he wants to play...he's got one (1) chance at a big contract, and this is it. He'll wisely play wherever the most money is.

Also seems wise of Byrd not to get in Parker's way. He has one of the top agents in football, who handles negotiations for a living. Why not let him do his job?

Byrd's agent is an extortion artist, and I think everyone needs to get used to the idea that you'll probably not see him play another down for Buffalo.

Agreed. See Jason Peters. But it's also possible Byrd simply doesn't want to play in Buffalo as he's said he wants to play for a winning orgainization.

Edited by DDD

Ever heard of the saying "What have you done for me lately" ?

2009 is ancient history. Get 9 interceptions every year and you can talk about being Elite and $9m+ pa contracts. The last 3 years seems to provide an accurate sample of what you get.

What were his stats last year? Why look back 3 years. He became a great open field tackler along the way, and I don't have his stats, but it seemed to me he got back to being a great ballhawk last year. My memory is that he was the only one coming up with the ball.

The Bills got a First Rounder # 28 (Philly had 2 #1s that year), a 4th Rounder (#121 overall) the following year, and a low pick in 2010 for Jason Peters.

No surprise that Parker found no team would pony up the 2 #1 picks for Byrd this year when he shopped his services around the League. But he does know what other teams would pay Byrd, and pay FOR Byrd. If he can get Byrd free of any Bills attachment, then he can get more $ for his player. No team is going to give up multiple draft picks for a FS and then give him the highest contract for a DB. LT - well, it happened, but FS... I don't think so.

The way he gets Byrd free of his attachment to The Bills is to hold out this year and "force" the team to let him sign his tender with the stipulation that he's a FA at the end of this year. Personally, I don't think Whaley will do that, because at that point, it comes down to "!@#$ me? !@#$ me. !@#$ YOU, you motha !@#$ er!" Which is how I think Whaley will handle it. Take it or leave it kid, and we'll be doing the same thing next year too.

No surprise that Parker found no team would pony up the 2 #1 picks for Byrd this year when he shopped his services around the League. But he does know what other teams would pay Byrd, and pay FOR Byrd. If he can get Byrd free of any Bills attachment, then he can get more $ for his player. No team is going to give up multiple draft picks for a FS and then give him the highest contract for a DB. LT - well, it happened, but FS... I don't think so.

To add to your point - I would like to see him traded if he's unwilling to play for Buffalo any longer. Whether we get 2 - 2nd rounders or even just one at least it is some value. Hopefully Duke Williams can step up this year and Aaron Williams' transition to safety goes smoothly.

I personally wouldn't be upset if we traded any of the following for picks: B. Smith, TJ Graham or Mario. The latter being a player I'd like to see pay off, but our expectations were too high for him/his role on the DEF last year and his injuries played a key role in adhering his abilities/our play.

If Byrd leaves it's because the Bills aren't willing to pay him what another team is willing to pay him. Who wouldn't switch companies if someone else offered more money to do the same work? I don't think it has much to do with where he wants to play...he's got one (1) chance at a big contract, and this is it. He'll wisely play wherever the most money is.

Also seems wise of Byrd not to get in Parker's way. He has one of the top agents in football, who handles negotiations for a living. Why not let him do his job?

Yes...this would be the expanded version of my statement that "if he leaves, it's because he wants to"; the money would be the reason he wants to...but make no mistake, the decision is Byrd's, not Parker's, as the previous poster indicated.

So is Parker saying Byrd played at a pro bowl level for 4 years even though he was named a pro bowler (a late replacement addition at that) only this year? Not following his logic. Does making the pro bowl (barely) once maker you a career pro bowler?

PTR

FWIW, this past year he was selected to the All-Pro team which many would argue is a higher achievement. And Byrd was selected to the Pro Bowl and the All-Pro team following his rookie year. He just didn't play in the Pro Bowl because he chose to undergo shoulder surgery instead.

If Byrd leaves it's because the Bills aren't willing to pay him what another team is willing to pay him.

I don't know how you can be so sure. What if the [insert team likely to go to the Super Bowl] were to sign him for less money? Do the Bills become a better option simply because they are willing to shell out a little more money? Obviously, it's cliche but Byrd essentially said, "it's about the money, but it's not all about the money." I think he'd take a discount to be on a surefire contender. Of course the Bills retain his rights, so it's not a cut and dry situation.

With Byrd unsigned & not reporting - who are possible trade suitors and what would we get for him?

Any other players worth trading away on our squad for better value? (picks, young players, etc.)

Whaley seems to be taking an initiative to make moves (i.e. Hughes trade, Branch signing). Crossing my fingers that our LBs can pull it together this year!

I know there's nothing going on other than this being in the news, but really? Byrd will play for us this season regardless. He'll get a big raise even if it is one year. Kinda better for us in a way if he plays under the franchise tag. It means he'll be playing hard for another contract the following season if we don't get it ironed out. Don't see the big deal here...

Yes...this would be the expanded version of my statement that "if he leaves, it's because he wants to"; the money would be the reason he wants to...but make no mistake, the decision is Byrd's, not Parker's, as the previous poster indicated.

It is Byrd's decision but it seems smart to defer to one of the top agents in football. This is the contract that will set the young man up financially for the rest of his life, if he plays it right.

Imo this is really the Bills' call. They can give Byrd a deal in-line with what Parker knows they could get elsewhere, or they can part ways (sooner or later).

It is Byrd's decision but it seems smart to defer to one of the top agents in football. This is the contract that will set the young man up financially for the rest of his life, if he plays it right.

Imo this is really the Bills' call. They can give Byrd a deal in-line with what Parker knows they could get elsewhere, or they can part ways (sooner or later).

Byrd will remain a Bills' player this season only, then he's gone. The tender goes up to over $8 Million after this season & if the Bills were willing to pay that, why not just give him a contract now ??

FWIW, this past year he was selected to the All-Pro team which many would argue is a higher achievement. And Byrd was selected to the Pro Bowl and the All-Pro team following his rookie year. He just didn't play in the Pro Bowl because he chose to undergo shoulder surgery instead.

Nobody who knows anything would argue that it is not a higher achievement.

Byrd will remain a Bills' player this season only, then he's gone. The tender goes up to over $8 Million after this season & if the Bills were willing to pay that, why not just give him a contract now ??

Because you can pay him 15 over two years with only the current years salary guaranteed on a series of 1 year options instead of likely paying out and guaranteeing closer to 20m right now. The terms would still be advantageous, though obviously it may build bad blood.... But strictly looking dollars and cents, the bills still come out ahead with 2 tags.

They could also choose to offer more next year having given him a year to audition in a new system, see what the young guys do and let him carry the burden of low guarantees, instead of going all in today.

Edited by NoSaint

Sure, no denying that he's doing the right thing by relying on Parker's expertise in the scenario. I just fervently disagree when I see someone opine that Parker is "going to get Byrd traded"...it's not up to Parker. Ultimately, it's up to the Bills and Byrd.

I know there's nothing going on other than this being in the news, but really? Byrd will play for us this season regardless. He'll get a big raise even if it is one year. Kinda better for us in a way if he plays under the franchise tag. It means he'll be playing hard for another contract the following season if we don't get it ironed out. Don't see the big deal here...

i think the big deal comes from considering the possibility of byrd eventually leaving this organization for no compensation. it seems that most people would love to have byrd here long term although for varying amounts of money, but i haven't seen many people of the opinion that it is fine for him to play for another year and then walk to the highest bidder.

another factor in this is that many were under the impression that letting levitre walk away, even for the disgusting deal he got, was a sign that byrd was about to be paid and locked up long term.

Any team can still sign him to an offer sheet. Bills would get a 1st and a 3rd if they didn't match. So he is probably worth a 1st and a 3rd in trade. If I were the Bills and he doesn't sign and holds out until November, I'd franchise tag him every year for the rest of his career.

Any team can still sign him to an offer sheet. Bills would get a 1st and a 3rd if they didn't match. So he is probably worth a 1st and a 3rd in trade. If I were the Bills and he doesn't sign and holds out until November, I'd franchise tag him every year for the rest of his career.

Yea baby! This one

Parker is hoping to hold out a signing for this year for the start of training camp against a promise not to tag BYRD next year. Clements got that deal when he got out of town, I think. If I were the Bills, I would not fall for that ploy......and Byrd shows up in early November. Then, I would tag him again.....if they haven't tagged Spiller or Wood by then.....Anyhow, no more Mister nice guy....play the teams position to the max because Parker will be playing Byrd's to the max.

The way he gets Byrd free of his attachment to The Bills is to hold out this year and "force" the team to let him sign his tender with the stipulation that he's a FA at the end of this year. Personally, I don't think Whaley will do that, because at that point, it comes down to "!@#$ me? !@#$ me. !@#$ YOU, you motha !@#$ er!" Which is how I think Whaley will handle it. Take it or leave it kid, and we'll be doing the same thing next year too.

Nice one. Go for it Doug. Bring in Nanker on your advisory team.

Due to agent, who has had in past refused to negotiate for other players who were represented by agent, it becomes more difficult but I agree the attitude should be 'NFLPA agreed to franchise tag, if you do not like it blame them.' and tag him repeatedly, fine him whenever possible and put him through everything they can when he signs contract at end of year including putting him through 'conditioning tests' as other teams have done and not starting him. If players do not like this they should be blaming NFLPA not teams.

Alas according to present NFL rules you can only Franchise Tag a player twice. So we may have to let him go in 2015 ! And he will have to play well in those years to justify a big contract in 2015. Looks like the Bills are holding all the aces in this game. Still $6.9m ain't too bad as a consolation prize. (less taxes and your agents fee of course).

Yea baby! This one

Good idea but, I believe you can only Franchise 2 consective years. Still, it is what the Ravens threatened Ray Rice with last year to get a deal done. But not sure with this agent.....

I know it doesn't happen much and is much more difficult to find a match between teams, but I would love to see the Bills get a player in a trade vs draft pick(s)

Edited by stevewin

Byrd hired Eugene Parker for a reason. He didn't hire Parker to 'get a deal done', he hired this specific agent to become the highest paid player at his position.

Unfortunately, Byrd doesn't have very many cards other than the one Parker is trumpeting that he was 'underpaid'. If the Bills franchise him for the next two years, they get two years at a rate lower than what Byrd wants and can work towards replacing him. As Parker so helpfully notes every time he opens his mouth, Byrd was 'underpaid' and while that annual salary is nice, he will be fined for missing camp and then not get paid until week 10. That's a lot of money to give up over the next two years to risk injury and a down season to get to Parker's "megadeal'.

The Bills got a First Rounder # 28 (Philly had 2 #1s that year), a 4th Rounder (#121 overall) the following year, and a low pick in 2010 for Jason Peters.

I hope Whaley does handle it this way. Parker and Byrd have zero leverage. Stop acting like they do. Play or don't. You lose money now and maybe in the long run.

Make some of these agents realize they do not have the ultimate power the teams do. If FA is any indication teams are working with or watching more closely what other teams are doing.

Byrd hired Eugene Parker for a reason. He didn't hire Parker to 'get a deal done', he hired this specific agent to become the highest paid player at his position.

Unfortunately, Byrd doesn't have very many cards other than the one Parker is trumpeting that he was 'underpaid'. If the Bills franchise him for the next two years, they get two years at a rate lower than what Byrd wants and can work towards replacing him. As Parker so helpfully notes every time he opens his mouth, Byrd was 'underpaid' and while that annual salary is nice, he will be fined for missing camp and then not get paid until week 10. That's a lot of money to give up over the next two years to risk injury and a down season to get to Parker's "megadeal'.

Peters had fewer cards in 2009 than Byrd does now and Parker still got him paid.

Until we know what the Byrd camp is demanding, it's hard to say one way or another who is completely out of line. But if it's 8M per and the Bills are balking, it's further indication that while faces have changed at OBD, the end result is still that the Bills won't re-sign their own elite talent.

Jason Peters supposedly did not have leverage but was able to get new contact. It all depends on how hard Bills front office is going to defend their rights in contract players' representatives negotiated.

Parker and Byrd have zero leverage. Stop acting like they do. Play or don't. You lose money now and maybe in the long run.

I'm sure it's been posted but, Byrd is basically screwed when it comes to trying to force a deal on his worth. These are the options:

1) They come to an agreement to a long term contract this year.

2) Byrd plays this year, at his franchise tag price, in a new system where he might not fit as well as he has in past systems, and we lock him up long term next year.

3) Byrd doesn't play, holds out and still collects his franchise tag money. He is either signed long term, re-franchised, or traded at the end of the season

4) Some team gives up 2 first round draft picks and a player for Byrd

No safety is worth 2 first round picks and a player. That's Franchise Elite QB ransom.

our fanbase is terribly unused to having the problem of talented players... we are so accustomed to the opposite that a lot seem to be completely befuddled by having a guy worth tagging and that several play under franchise tags annually.