Is Jim Kelly ill ?? (update - has cancer)

People are going to be very surprised to see him post surgery... my boss's surgery to try and remove the cancer left his face like Roger Ebert's... he had to use a pad to write down longer speech and carried a towel to wipe his drool. It wasn't enough to save him, and I can only hope this surgery is enough to save Jim Kelly.

Ebert's surgery was scary bad, I hope it's not down to that now.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People are going to be very surprised to see him post surgery... my boss's surgery to try and remove the cancer left his face like Roger Ebert's... he had to use a pad to write down longer speech and carried a towel to wipe his drool. It wasn't enough to save him, and I can only hope this surgery is enough to save Jim Kelly.

Ebert's surgery was scary bad, I hope it's not down to that now.

I have no idea, but doesn't the facial outcome depend on how large and localized the cancer is?

it amazes me that people continue to guess at what is going on with Jim Kelly. Nobody has a clue how serious this is and what the outcome is so i wish people would stop speaking as if they have knowledge and stop the ridulous speculation. Say prayers for Jim if you are so inclined and let the doctors do their thing. I'm going to be sending positive thoughts his way and hoping for the best. Beyond that, I'm done reading this thread and any other speculation.

Just for some internal thinking amoungst us. 1 out of 2 men and 1 out of 3 women in America will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime. I have HAD cancer so one of you is safe. It is estimated that 1.6 million new cases of cancer will be diagnosed in 2013. I'm not one of them so one of you MAY.

Thoughts go to Jim and the Kelly family. Kick cancer's a$$!!

http://cancer.osu.edu/patientsandvisitors/cancerinfo/cancertypes/headneck/about/pages/index.aspx

Edited by BuffaloBud

He might have developed this cancer from chewing tobacco or drinking. Head n neck cancers are very rare outside of people who smoke, chew tobacco, drink alcohol or have had radiation to the neck.

Well, I'm doomed then.

Nobody has a clue how serious this is and what the outcome is so i wish people would stop speaking as if they have knowledge and stop the ridulous speculation.

Nobody??? Really??? Come on, step off of it and realize some of us have seen the effects of this kind of cancer... we may not be experts, but for God's sake, we're not totally oblivious nor harbingers of the words of doom... please.

Edited by BmoreBills

I have no idea, but doesn't the facial outcome depend on how large and localized the cancer is?

That's how bad it can get, that's for sure... but he may be lucky and have it only partially affect his abilities to speak and to prevent further spread of the cancer.

“Like everything it’s just another river to cross, another stumbling block,” he said. “I’ve been to the top many, many times and I’ve been to the bottom and it’s just one of those roller coaster rides that I’ve been on throughout my life. It’s just another challenge for me and I know I’ll beat it. That’s the bottom line.”

:clap

of all of the bad habits out there, I can't believe people still chew tobacco. that stuff is bad news. best case - your teeth and gums are going to be all jacked up and you are going to look homeless. and I think we all know worst case. if anyone here chews take a second to consider not only how bad it will affect you, but the ones you care about as well. I don't want to sound like an after school special but maybe seeing this happen to a superman like Jim will stop at least one Bills fan from chewing. again, we don't know all of the facts but it's a good lesson learn either way. best wishes to Jim. he was my hero as a kid so get well soon!

of all of the bad habits out there, I can't believe people still chew tobacco. that stuff is bad news. best case - your teeth and gums are going to be all jacked up and you are going to look homeless. and I think we all know worst case. if anyone here chews take a second to consider not only how bad it will affect you, but the ones you care about as well. I don't want to sound like an after school special but maybe seeing this happen to a superman like Jim will stop at least one Bills fan from chewing. again, we don't know all of the facts but it's a good lesson learn either way. best wishes to Jim. he was my hero as a kid so get well soon!

It's a huge problem in baseball that they try to hide, but is widely prevalent.

Nobody??? Really??? Come on, step off of it and realize some of us have seen the effects of this kind of cancer... we may not be experts, but for God's sake, we're not totally oblivious nor harbingers of the words of doom... please.

No offense but you have no clue as to what is going on with Jim unless you are in his family or on his medical team. You may or may not have experienced this type of cancer. You may or may not have had a friend, family member or acquaintance experience this type of cancer and have seen its effects. But you don't have any idea how it will go with Jim Kelly. His case may be the most minor case in history or the most major. You have no idea. So, please 'step off it" yourself. As I said before, guessing and speculating just make you look foolish, IMHO. We will have to wait and see how it plays out.

No offense but you have no clue as to what is going on with Jim unless you are in his family or on his medical team. You may or may not have experienced this type of cancer. You may or may not have had a friend, family member or acquaintance experience this type of cancer and have seen its effects. But you don't have any idea how it will go with Jim Kelly. His case may be the most minor case in history or the most major. You have no idea. So, please 'step off it" yourself. As I said before, guessing and speculating just make you look foolish, IMHO. We will have to wait and see how it plays out.

"Maddog69" thinks they look foolish...

it amazes me that people continue to guess at what is going on with Jim Kelly. Nobody has a clue how serious this is and what the outcome is so i wish people would stop speaking as if they have knowledge and stop the ridulous speculation. Say prayers for Jim if you are so inclined and let the doctors do their thing. I'm going to be sending positive thoughts his way and hoping for the best. Beyond that, I'm done reading this thread and any other speculation.

:doh:

Wouldn't it be pretty crazy if we were all waiting for Ralph to die so Jim could buy and takeover the team and Jim died first?

Ok, don't flame me too bad, it was only a joke.

This was buried at the beginning of the thread. While I would certainly hope that all goes well for Jim and his family, I'd be lying if I wasn't a wee bit concerned about the long term status of Bills ownership given todays news.

Wouldn't it be pretty crazy if we were all waiting for Ralph to die so Jim could buy and takeover the team and Jim died first?

Ok, don't flame me too bad, it was only a joke.

Not really a joke, but rather a shocking possibility here. Of course, NO ONE would ever want this to happen, but as the old saying goes, "the only guarantees in life are death & taxes." Personally, the older I get, the more I become acutely aware of the latter statement. Trust me, once you get past 50, you really start paying attention at how life is a fragile gift, and can be snuffed out in the blink of an eye.

He did have major dental surgery a couple of months ago for a cyst in his mouth. He was scheduled to be the guest speaker at an FCA event here in my town in March shortly after the procedure and he wasn't sure if he would be here due to the discomfort recovering from the surgery. He did honor his commitment and didn't sound too bad, just talking a tad slower.

Here is an interesting read on this type of tumor.(Scroll down)http://www.emedicinehealth.com/cancer_of_the_mouth_and_throat/article_em.htm

This is the same kind of cancer that Grover Cleveland had. He survived about 30 years more including 5 kids. Read the recent book about Cleveland.

The docs fabbed a rubber jaw for him. I believe he lived 15 years post surgery

Edited by Ted William's frozen head

I have to come out of hiding and sound off on this. Wishing Jim and his family all the best and praying for a good outcome.

Really don't understand all the haters earlier in this thread; Jim has matured as a human being and and is not the same guy he was 25 years ago.

Hopefully the Jim Kelly hate posts will stop today for good... I didn't like him as a person when he played, but he has obviously changed over time and has really been hit with two serious blows.

I'm not going thru all 12+ pages because I don't want to go cross eyed from my IPhone but I happened to catch your response and I too wasn't particularly fond of Jimbo as a person during his playing years. Funny thing though, as time goes by people mature, get humbled by life and they change, some for the better, some for the worse. I believe in Kelly's case he became a better human being and I find myself greatly disturbed by this devastating news concerning the greatest Buffalo Bill of all time. Yes, I said it, #12 is the greatest Buffalo Bill of all time and not only did I admire him as a player but I appreciate him even more for all the things he has done and has tried to do for the Buffalo Bills and it's community. To say that he's a Bills' icon is almost an understatement. My prayers go out to Jim and his family and I expect nothing less than that gritty determination and resolve that he so many times displayed as a player to fight this terrible disease because as we all know that NOBODY circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills and their fearless leader Machine Gun Kelly!

Btw, I'm sorry for what you, your dad and your family had to go through.

Jim has lost children, his health & champions Buffalo everywhere he goes. Anyone saying anything negative about him now should just look in the mirror & see what they've done, they'll be hard pressed to find a better man now.

God Bless you & your family Jim, we're all behind you circling with you.

Jim has lost children, his health & champions Buffalo everywhere he goes. Anyone saying anything negative about him now should just look in the mirror & see what they've done, they'll be hard pressed to find a better man now.

God Bless you & your family Jim, we're all behind you circling with you.

^^^^^

This.

God speed, Jim. Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your loved ones in your tough journey ahead. Hang in there and fight the good fight.