Complete 180 in WR Talent

We went from Donald Jones, David Nelson and Ruvell Martin to Robert Woods, Da'Rick Rogers and Marquise Goodwin.

We went from WR being a desperate need to it being one of the strongest positions on our team.

So many weapons for EJ. Can't wait to see these guys take the field!

Edited by Bangarang

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If EJ Manuel were to play decent this year, there's no reason now to think we can't make the playoffs as a wild-card. Our offense is still lacking an elite TE, but if we get the LG situation settled, Manuel has a bunch of weapons with which to work. Our offense could be considered - and might finish - a top 10 offense! We have two excellent RB's, now we have a group of WR's with a bunch of talent, and our O-line is good.

Couple that with a defense that now has a solid group of LB'ers (and we still might add Dansby), and a secondary with a lot of potential. Sure - there might prove to be weak spots / places worth upgrading - but, after the draft and UDFA our team is looking a LOT more competitive, and it has a LOT FEWER holes than many of us anticipated.

Nix and Whaley have really put on a terrific draft!

Now now, they're still rookies. Remember how hyped we were for james hardy and roscoe

not all of us were hyped for Roscoe.

Hardy maybe but more so because we were more starved for a good 2nd to Lee Evans than we are now to Stevie. And we just might have gotten 3 that could be better than Stevie. Well, maybe 2, Goodwin has to prove he's more than just speed.

Hardy maybe but more so because we were more starved for a good 2nd to Lee Evans than we are now to Stevie. And we just might have gotten 3 that could be better than Stevie. Well, maybe 2, Goodwin has to prove he's more than just speed.

And all three have to prove they run nfl routes, deal with nfl corners, etc.... I have high hopes but if 2 out of 3 work out even that's better than average turnout. Odds are atleast one should be very good though and even that would be big.

I think people (not you in particular) expect too much out of certain positions like WR. Not every receiver needs to or can catch 80 balls. A guy like Goodwin can be highly valuable catching 30 balls and getting 20 carries if his speed is frightening and he takes it to the house once in awhile. I think this offense is going to have a lot of puzzle pieces and Stevie may be the only one to put up good numbers while the three rookies learn the game.

We went from Donald Jones, David Nelson and Ruvell Martin to Robert Woods, Da'Rick Rogers and Marquise Goodwin.

We went from WR being a desperate need to it being one of the strongest positions on our team.

Up grade over Nelson/Jones with no complaints. Maybe the wild card is Rogers could be huge in the pros, and the best of the lot.

However,He definitely shouldn't room with Alanso in camp.

By far, this is an AMAZING draft in all 32 years I've been watching this team. I do have high hope from this draft. Honestly, I think we've upgraded the WR position leaps and bounds!

I'll take the three rookies over Nelson, Martin and Jones any day!

And all three have to prove they run nfl routes, deal with nfl corners, etc.... I have high hopes but if 2 out of 3 work out even that's better than average turnout. Odds are atleast one should be very good though and even that would be big.

im not betting they are all Pro Bowlers. But if even one turns out to be our 2nd opposite Stevie. And either of the other 2 turn out to be David Nelson then we have exceeded extremely. My guess is Woods and Rogers are the starting WRs within a few years and Stevie moves more to the slot role. Goodwin might be a little better than Parrish. Maybe Josh Reed, only with talent.

Even if it takes a full season for them to gel, the offense is greatly upgraded.

I think people (not you in particular) expect too much out of certain positions like WR. Not every receiver needs to or can catch 80 balls. A guy like Goodwin can be highly valuable catching 30 balls and getting 20 carries if his speed is frightening and he takes it to the house once in awhile. I think this offense is going to have a lot of puzzle pieces and Stevie may be the only one to put up good numbers while the three rookies learn the game.

i expect too much out of these WRs maybe. Because Woods is possibly the best in the draft and most NFL ready from the start. Rogers might be just as good, only has off field issues and Goodwin has WORLD CLASS SPEED, and jumping ability. Both Woods and Goodwin seem like very good kids with clean heads on their shoulders. Rogers we can only hope gets his head right.

Could one or all of them flop? Sure. But I'm betting that at 2 of them are starter quality by year 2 or 3. I'm guessing Woods and Rogers with Goodwin still being pretty good.

For all the FSU fans' talk about all the "[high school] 4 and 5 star receivers" Manuel had at FSU, now he'll really be playing with bonafide 5-star NFL receivers. Hopefully they prove to be such and make it easier for Manuel.

I liked David Nelson... but we went from completely devoid talent outside of Stevie to having a lot potential there. Overall I still think it could be rough at WR but its good that the Bills tried to address this position. TJ could also have a better impact in his second year too. Hopefully putting two high picks and taking a chance on a high potential UDFA pays off.

Even if it takes a full season for them to gel, the offense is greatly upgraded.

I am expecting some of these receivers to take several years to gel and figure things out in light of the tough learning curve for rookie receivers.

We'd be better off banking on increased production from tj graham than the rookies.

I am very very happy with the Woods pick and Rogers signing.

Woods should make the biggest immediate impact. He is the most polished WR the Bills took. He played against top notch competition, and is a good person.

Rogers has the most talent. He went from maybe a first round pick before the 2012 college season started to a maybe 3rd rounder to an UDFA. I hope for his sake this served as the 'wake up call'. Everyone matures at a different rate. You hope for this young man he takes full advantage of this opportunity.

Goodwin is a bit of mystery. You have to hope with coaching he will only increase his ability. I think the point Goodwin not being able to play in spring ball due to track is big. The Bills believe a focused Goodwin could turn into the big play speedster they have been missing.

Having said all this, we do need to remember they are rookies. It is not the easiest position to come right in and play. Woods will most likely be a starter due to level of competition the Bills have at WR.

Don't be surprised if Kolb looks good with the weapons and an o-line and keeps EJ on the bench a little while.

The thing that excites me most about the potential of this WR group is the fact that it's only going to help open things up for CJ and Freddie!!! Our RB's are clearly the strength of this Offense in that they are proven NFL Top 100 talents...The amount of potential this Offense is going to have is scary...If these young WR's can do their parts and force Defenses into more Nickle and Dime, CJ and Freddie are going to be the biggest beneficiaries IMHO... B-)

Don't be surprised if Kolb looks good with the weapons and an o-line and keeps EJ on the bench a little while.

I'm torn between having him sit, watch, and learn for a year or so, a la Kaepernick, or throwing him to the wolves a la Luck, RGIII, and Wilson. I suppose if he looks promising in pre-season, he should start from the get-go.

I'm torn between having him sit, watch, and learn for a year or so, a la Kaepernick, or throwing him to the wolves a la Luck, RGIII, and Wilson. I suppose if he looks promising in pre-season, he should start from the get-go.

I'm completely torn on it. I think perhaps Kolb should start unless Manuel blows him out of the water in preseason. One of the real advantages we're going to have is no one will have film on Hackett and Marrone's offense. For the first few games, it's going to be all new to the DCs we face. This should help the rookies and TJ a lot as opposed to going against defenses that have a good idea what you're doing and trying to do. Kolb can make quick decisions and spread the ball around. Both Woods and DaRick, if he plays, are very good YAC guys. The vet should probably play at first.

i expect too much out of these WRs maybe. Because Woods is possibly the best in the draft and most NFL ready from the start. Rogers might be just as good, only has off field issues and Goodwin has WORLD CLASS SPEED, and jumping ability. Both Woods and Goodwin seem like very good kids with clean heads on their shoulders. Rogers we can only hope gets his head right.

Could one or all of them flop? Sure. But I'm betting that at 2 of them are starter quality by year 2 or 3. I'm guessing Woods and Rogers with Goodwin still being pretty good.

As a bills fan, I'm real amped up for them and know even with the risk of flop our roster is better today than it was last September.

As a football fan, I'm going to be honest and say that's because of potential, not accomplishment.

If ej busts, our qb group is no worse - if all 3 WRs flop they will likely still fill the void of Nelson, jones and Martin.

We've turned our ceiling into our floor for a few position groups..... But it's 100% possible that woods will struggle to get seperation, Goodwin will be more track star than nfl star and Rogers gets cut by camp for transgressions. Atleast we have a chance to be better though, because we had a lot of guys that at 100% weren't good enough before.

If you asked me Thursday night I would have said Kolb would still be the week #1 starter at QB for the Bills...But now I'm not so sure...I had no idea the Bills would be able to assemble the kind of talent on Offense they did the last two days...Now I think that what Manuel brings to the field will add a dimension that Kolb can't bring, which in turn makes everyone of these players on Offense more dangerous...It's all up to what Marrone and Hackett can do with Manuel's raw tools...But I think this contest is even going into Camp...Should be fun to watch... B-)

If EJ Manuel were to play decent this year, there's no reason now to think we can't make the playoffs as a wild-card. Our offense is still lacking an elite TE, but if we get the LG situation settled, Manuel has a bunch of weapons with which to work. Our offense could be considered - and might finish - a top 10 offense! We have two excellent RB's, now we have a group of WR's with a bunch of talent, and our O-line is good.

Couple that with a defense that now has a solid group of LB'ers (and we still might add Dansby), and a secondary with a lot of potential. Sure - there might prove to be weak spots / places worth upgrading - but, after the draft and UDFA our team is looking a LOT more competitive, and it has a LOT FEWER holes than many of us anticipated.

Nix and Whaley have really put on a terrific draft!

You need to reel if in a little here. First off the Bills don't even plan to start EJ this year then consider that the receivers they added are all rookies I'd say your expectations are way too high right now

Edited by Max997

I'm completely torn on it. I think perhaps Kolb should start unless Manuel blows him out of the water in preseason. One of the real advantages we're going to have is no one will have film on Hackett and Marrone's offense. For the first few games, it's going to be all new to the DCs we face. This should help the rookies and TJ a lot as opposed to going against defenses that have a good idea what you're doing and trying to do. Kolb can make quick decisions and spread the ball around. Both Woods and DaRick, if he plays, are very good YAC guys. The vet should probably play at first.

If you asked me Thursday night I would have said Kolb would still be the week #1 starter at QB for the Bills...But now I'm not so sure...I had no idea the Bills would be able to assemble the kind of talent on Offense they did the last two days...Now I think that what Manuel brings to the field will add a dimension that Kolb can't bring, which in turn makes everyone of these players on Offense more dangerous...It's all up to what Marrone and Hackett can do with Manuel's raw tools...But I think this contest is even going into Camp...Should be fun to watch... B-)

I'd probably lean towards starting him from the get-go and having him run the read-option.

You need to reel if in a little here. First off the Bills don't even plan to start EJ this year then consider that the receivers they added are all rookies I'd say your expectations are way too high right now

My expectations are high - until I'm proven otherwise. I don't mind being optimistic right now. You know, we have a college coach coming in - we have a staff thats familiar with their skill-set and abilities, we have the whole group that is new to the scheme, so the rookies might not have that much of a uphill battle compared to the vets, and we have a league where the offenses are looking to imitate the college ranks a bit more - and, as evidenced by rookies like Luck, Griffin, Wilson, Dalton, Newton, Tannehill - rookies can be successful in this league, and young wideouts can, too.

So - sure, there'll be some bumps and I don't expect us to be flawless. But, I do expect us to be new - new to our opposition, new and energized, excited, AND FAST. Plus, whoever is at QB, we have 2 good backs and a good O-line. AND - I don't think I'm being naive about the Defense. I think Pettine will have these guys playing good - at least not bad - so we should be able to hang with people even if our offense struggles at times.

My point is simply this - now we have talent - top talent in places where we're used to having (a seventh round QB), and a bunch of undrafted WR's - to now a 1st round QB, and top talent WR's in Woods and Rogers. So, I think it'll be fun and I think we'll be able to compete this year. Lets look at it this way - I think we're quite a bit better than last year on both sides, and we managed 6 wins last year. Why is it so hard to see us winning 3 or 4 more games this year?

Unless EJ out right wins the starting job in training camp, i'm all for Kolb being our starter this year. Kolb had 1 receiver at Arizona and no O-line. Either with our guards missing from last year, our line is light years ahead of what he has had to play behind. Not to mention actually have a dangerous running game.

That being said, i could not be happier with our WR talent all things considered. ( i'm still a bit upset that the trade back in the third round cost us Keenean Allan but i suppose a guy that reminds me a whole lot of Chris Johnson's break away speed is solid consolation.) At this point I can honestly see a much younger WR corp for us, I don't think Brad Smith is going to win a starting 5 slot. Easly is probably hoping to make anything happen, sad story overall, wish him the best of luck. I know nothing else about Hogan, Chris and Elliott, Kevin but i can't really see them beating out Woods, Rodgers, or Goodwin. We also got that really tall guy to come in for FA. although i'm pretty sure he's a camp body, he seemed really stiff when i saw his tape.

Anyone else happy with a WR group that looks like : Stevie Johnson, TJ Graham, Robert Woods, Da'Rick Rodgers, Marquise Goodwin, Brad Smith? Is it a lot of youth? sure. Is it a lot more explosive and probably more talented players at the position? I'd have to guess probably. Nelson and Jones weren't exactly the most amazing #2-3 receivers.

Would probably say the only thing i'm not to happy about draft wise was the second safety and the little TE we took, who..... why the hell is he not a WR?

I would wager that Rogers has significant on-field issues in terms of processing the playbook, running routes consistently, and making mental adjustments.

A couple of things......

- First imo Kevin Kolb is gonna start the season.....and that is even though I think EJ Manuel is a special player with all of his tools.....we have the opportunity to play a veteran to start the season and bring EJ Manuel along slowly and STILL win....which is a very good thing. Kolb has not shown the ability to stay healthy which will eventually be EJ's chance to be inserted in the lineup.....but for the time Kolb is healthy his being a good QB during that time has never really been in question. The bills will GROOM EJ Manuel

- Roscoe gets a pretty bad rap as far as being a bad player.....Roscoe was a VERY GOOD player.....what we should be hopeing for from our new speedster is Roscoe without the injuries......because that would be a VERY good thing for this offense.

- Love the UDFA pickup De Rick Rogers....but the gem of this draft at WR was Robert Woods who I believe has the potential to be BETTER then Stevie Johnson because he literally catches EVERYTHING........

Between Stevie J., Robert Woods, De Rick ROgers, TJ Graham, and the pocket rocket we drafted today.....we are STACKED at WR.....

A couple of things......

- First imo Kevin Kolb is gonna start the season.....and that is even though I think EJ Manuel is a special player with all of his tools.....we have the opportunity to play a veteran to start the season and bring EJ Manuel along slowly and STILL win....which is a very good thing. Kolb has not shown the ability to stay healthy which will eventually be EJ's chance to be inserted in the lineup.....but for the time Kolb is healthy his being a good QB during that time has never really been in question. The bills will GROOM EJ Manuel

- Roscoe gets a pretty bad rap as far as being a bad player.....Roscoe was a VERY GOOD player.....what we should be hopeing for from our new speedster is Roscoe without the injuries......because that would be a VERY good thing for this offense.

- Love the UDFA pickup De Rick Rogers....but the gem of this draft at WR was Robert Woods who I believe has the potential to be BETTER then Stevie Johnson because he literally catches EVERYTHING........

Between Stevie J., Robert Woods, De Rick ROgers, TJ Graham, and the pocket rocket we drafted today.....we are STACKED at WR.....

Roscoe was a good returner and a below-average WR. He has 1,500 receiving yards for his career.

Where did you here that? Everything I heard in the interviews indicated they plan on letting the QB's battle it out...Granted EJ has the bigger learning curve...But he also brings things that Kolb simply can't... B-)

This is from tonight's Presser...

Q: When you go to camp will you have a penciled in starter or a complete open competition?

DM: I said this before, I have run into this problem before when you come into this point of phase two of a mandatory mini-camp. We are simulating football, but we are really not playing it physically. I have always had a difficult problem with that. Moving people around and making sure from a standpoint of when I am thinking about contact, when I am thinking about obviously with the quarterback when you are actually seeing people coming at you that can actually hit you. Right now my plans the answer would be, ‘Hey when we feel comfortable with one we will go ahead and name one.’ I am probably going to have to answer a lot of questions for a long period of time before I am ready to sit down and go through a lot of practices, before I am able to name a starter.

Edited by KOKBILLS

These are my thoughts exactly.. you dont see rookie receivers come in and product year 1 unless its a guy like AJ Green or Julio Jones. Clearly none of the guys we got in the draft have that type of talent, otherwise they would have been top 10 picks.

I think everyone needs to settle down a little bit. We added a lot of potential in this draft, but right now, thats all it is - potential.

A couple of things......

You are absolutely correct about Roscoe.

These are my thoughts exactly.. you dont see rookie receivers come in and product year 1 unless its a guy like AJ Green or Julio Jones. Clearly none of the guys we got in the draft have that type of talent, otherwise they would have been top 10 picks.

I think everyone needs to settle down a little bit. We added a lot of potential in this draft, but right now, thats all it is - potential.

Well if Rodgers is as good as advertised he and Wood should start just because, who do we have that is better? Wood is also considered to be one of the most start ready players in the draft, not in the top 10 (I like John am very happy we got him!). I can remember quite a few WRs starting off 1st year and doing pretty damned good, so I would have to disagree. I think we have 2 starters. Add TJ and Stevie and we just replaced Nelson and Jones, with faster higher ceiling guys to a group that wasn't all that bad last year with a crappy QB.

The question will be our QB.

You are absolutely correct about Roscoe.

Oh if Scoe could have just stayed healthy, he was fitting right in with Chan's plan at one point. He was an electric player, no doubt.

Edited by bowery4

I'd like to see us start Kolb, but incorporate packages into the game plan for EJ like we did with Brad Smith, but make them a larger part of the offense. That way EJ can get his feet wet with some live action and adjust to the speed of the game in small doses, while also allowing us to have a more flexible attack.

Being a UCLA fan I've watched Woods for years. I don't think it's going to take him long to learn the game. He's very polished already and should step in to be immediate help as a #2. Now, it's still unclear if the Bills have a guy who can actually get him and Stevie the ball...

I'll be the first to admit that I was feeling a little leery of our WR going into the draft. The Bills could have kept David Nelson and Donald Jones who are both...decent, if not exceptional or above average players. They didn't. With the flurry of WR's in Free Agency, we were hoping the Bills would take someone. Stevie pleaded the Front Office to pick up DHB. They didn't.

So, to be honest, I was a little leery of how things were going to go in the draft. I didn't think that Tavon Austin was a perfect fit with us, and Cordarelle Patterson kept falling back in predictions as we went along. As thrilled as I was for EJ Manuel, I was getting kind of worried.

Friday and Saturday changed that. Woods is considered an immediate starter,and like Stevie, he has the reputation for getting open and making possession plays. Goodwin looks like he's immediately on par with Graham, which isn't saying much, but at least there's competition. Finally, we took Da'Rick Rodgers, a man who was considered first round talent outside of personal issues, a 2-3rd rounder with them, and we got him as an UDFA. He looks like the big, fast, "is open even when he's covered" guy we said we wanted.

We have gone from

SJ

Donald Jones

David Nelson

TJ Graham

Brad Smith

to

SJ

Da'Rick Rodgers

Robert Woods

Goodwin

Graham?

Brad Smith?

For the first time in years, it feels like there is real competition of #2...and maybe #1. Stevie could be phenomenal in the slot, and it's starting to feel like the Bills could come out of the huddle and the defense has no idea where to line up.

Edited by Whitewalker Merriman